Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 (118911 Views)

Recapitalization: Jobs Losses Loom As Nigerian Banks Battle To Escape Extinction / January Salaries Of Federal Civil Servants To Be ‘delayed Beyond Normal’ – Memo / Nigerian Banks Salary Structure 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Cokes: 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ok.

How was the interview/exam?
Was it difficult?
What kind of questions did they ask?
They didn't tell you the bank they're recruiting for?
DSuperiorBrand:

No.

I did my interview 2 weeks ago and training/exam last week at Benin.

We were told we'll be invited again (this time around by the bank itself) for another round of test/interview, if we eventually qualify for the next stage.

So, I'm hoping to qualify for the next stage. The joblessness frustration no be here. E no easy.
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by DSuperiorBrand: 10:06pm On Aug 15, 2021
What does "back office" means please?

I'm presently 24, next year I'll be 25. I have a 2:2 (3 point though) in Philosophy from the University.

I'm I qualified to join Stanbic as a GT?
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by DSuperiorBrand: 10:08pm On Aug 15, 2021
Cokes:
Ok.

How was the interview/exam?
Was it difficult?
What kind of questions did they ask?
They didn't tell you the bank they're recruiting for?

I guess we'll get to know the name of the bank when the bank finally invites us for the next stage
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by NairaEffect(m): 11:49pm On Aug 15, 2021
Welcome back bro.

Wow... This is really expository. Thanks for sharing.

From what you've listed, it's obvious back office locations/head office have more advantages over the branches.

I guess one of the "disadvantages" of head office will also be that you have to be on your best behavior at all times because eyes are on you and you don't know who is watching you. One may get away with some things at the branch but not at the head office.

For the late closing part, why is that the case with head office? I was thinking it should be easier for them to wrap up and close on time since they are not balancing books at the end of each day like the branches.

Also learnt that most of the head offices have a gym where you can workout before resumption or after close of business while waiting for traffic to ease.

The subsidized food at the canteen grin and staff bus are nice perks just like the opportunity to network across different levels.

richmondefosa:

Advantages of Back Office Location (Head office inclusive)

1. You get free Tea/coffee grin this means a lot because it solves breakfast issues. Just get your bread. There’s a dispenser in every work station.
2. Free staff bus with AC. This solves transportation challenges. My house is about 5 minutes walk to my bus stop. All I need to do is get to my bus stop and there’s a bus to take me to and from work. The buses cover almost all locations in Lagos. From okokomaiko, ikorodu, iyana ipaja, ikotun, Berger, and even Mowe in ogun state. Just get to your bus stop. This saves some part of your salary too.
3. There’s a food canteen and a dining area with nice cheap and affordable food. They come with an array of diverse food where you pick from. This is better than branches where you have to send the cleaners to get you food that may be expensive. The caterers are carefully selected and changed every week so you don’t get too accustomed to their food. They provide breakfast and lunch.

3. There is a Christian fellowship with complete music instruments �. There’s also a moslem prayer ground. It’s like a family literally.

4. There’s a games room. Table hockey, tennis, PlayStation etc. so when your head gets too full at work, take a break and play some games.
These are my personal experience.
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by NairaEffect(m): 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2021
I treasure my weekends o. Lol

For branches, does everyone get to have a share of the weekend ATM duties? Does it matter if you're not a teller, CSO or ATM custodian?

richmondefosa:

With my personal experience, I would choose to work in the back office. I love the community and sense of belonging.
Also, it’s a sure and faster way to climb the ladder. You know it’s like a pyramid. The higher you climb, the fewer spaces. But working in the back office can afford you ample time for weekends which you can use to chase you masters or personal business. Working in a branch will not always guarantee this because you’re sure to do ATM weekend (Saturday and Sunday are classified as one) duties twice a month.

So back office does it for me. I am a career driven individual.
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 5:49am On Aug 16, 2021
NairaEffect:
Welcome back bro.

Wow... This is really expository. Thanks for sharing.

From what you've listed, it's obvious back office locations/head office have more advantages over the branches.

I guess one of the "disadvantages" of head office will also be that you have to be on your best behavior at all times because eyes are on you and you don't know who is watching you. One may get away with some things at the branch but not at the head office.

For the late closing part, why is that the case with head office? I was thinking it should be easier for them to wrap up and close on time since they are not balancing books at the end of each day like the branches.

Also learnt that most of the head offices have a gym where you can workout before resumption or after close of business while waiting for traffic to ease.

We don’t have a gym o. Maybe others have. It’d be a nice thing though.

We close late because our tasks are daily requests from branches nationwide. There’s really a lot happening in Banks asides paying in and receiving monies and lots of people don’t realize it.
There’s also something called SLA (service level agreement). It’s a time frame for a request to be met. This calculates our efficiency.
So if you deal a thousand requests and fail SLA for 900, the requests have been dealt o but you performed abysmally.
So if a request is logged around 4pm (closing time for branches) SLA will expire by 8am the next day. So we stay back to deal these requests to reduce the workload and potential missing of SLA for the next day. Because by 8am the next day, more requests are coming in. It’s a war zone out there grin here in the banking industry, you’re appraised by performance.
So if you fail SLA continuously, you’re unlocking the closest door for your way out.
That’s why we close late. 6pm officially sha. Staff bus departs 6:30. Imagine leaving the island by 6:30 by bus to ikorodu or mowe. Think of the traffic. But hey! You’re inside AC. So if I drive to work, I actually stay back and work more or do other personal studying while waiting for Lagos traffic to die out.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 5:56am On Aug 16, 2021
NairaEffect:

For branches, does everyone get to have a share of the weekend ATM duties? Does it matter if you're not a teller, CSO or ATM custodian?

In my current location, everyone is involved in managing the ATM. Doesn’t matter wether you’re a teller, CSO, asset custodian, ATM custodian or HSS. Only the branch manager is absolved. My branch isn’t an ‘A’ branch so I don’t know if it’s obtainable in bigger branches. Remember I’m stating my personal experience.

The ATM is not allowed to have a downtime for more than 20minutes. If it does, get ready to be queried.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Richdee1(m): 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2021
Thanks for all the insight and information on here

So as a Fresh Graduate that has no idea of how banking and Finance works, can I still apply and get the job? Do they use background to Pick or it's just the best

If I'm applying, should it be graduating Trainee role or Internship? Or just applying randomly..

PS: I'm an art student
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 11:07pm On Aug 16, 2021
DSuperiorBrand:

I'm presently 24, next year I'll be 25. I have a 2:2 (3 point though) in Philosophy from the University.

I’m sorry I missed this.
I joined the bank as a 24 year old. I graduated with a 2.2. Arts students. Linguistics and African Languages to be precise. grin

At 24/25, you’re still suitably qualified to join as a graduate trainee.

Every bank operates 2 kind of offices/ work location.
Branch and Back office (depending on the bank structure, some call it Head Office)

Branches are the regular bank branch you see around you. Where deposits, withdrawals and customer enquiries take place.

Back office is where the administration of the whole bank takes place. The HR, finance, legal, IT, Global markets, compliance, corporate communications, events marketing and campaign etc departments. The bank CEs and other executives are based there.

I hope this clarifies.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 11:18pm On Aug 16, 2021
Richdee1:
Thanks for all the insight and information on here

So as a Fresh Graduate that has no idea of how banking and Finance works, can I still apply and get the job? Do they use background to Pick or it's just the best

If I'm applying, should it be graduating Trainee role or Internship? Or just applying randomly..

PS: I'm an art student

Yes you can still apply. That’s why it’s called a Graduate Trainee. It’s not an experienced hire role. You do not need to study banking and finance to be a banker. I have a colleague who studied industrial chemistry. The other did plant abi soil science I can’t readily recall.

They don’t use background to pick. Pass the exam and finish off the interview then you’re good to go. I don’t think banks offer internships for graduate hires o. I may be wrong though.

If you scale the exams and interview, you’ll be sent to training school for a couple of months. I did 3 months in training school. Here you’ll be well grounded in the workings of the bank.

After training school, you’ll be rotated in 3/4 different department of the Bank within 3/4 months per department.

You could do 3 months in sales (you’ll be sent to a branch), do another 3 months in compliance, another in corporate communications or IT. Basically any department.

At the end of your rotation, you’ll eventually be settled in any one of the positions you performed best.

I remember during my interview, there was a covenant university graduate who did banking and finance. She didn’t make it. My point is that for a GT role, you don’t need to have a background in finance. All that’s needed is a university.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Richdee1(m): 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2021
richmondefosa:

Yes you can still apply. That’s why it’s called a Graduate Trainee. It’s not an experienced hire role. You do not need to study banking and finance to be a banker. I have a colleague who studied industrial chemistry. The other did plant abi soil science I can’t readily recall.

They don’t use background to pick. Pass the exam and finish off the interview then you’re good to go. I don’t think banks offer internships for graduate hires o. I may be wrong though.

If you scale the exams and interview, you’ll be sent to training school for a couple of months. I did 3 months in training school. Here you’ll be well grounded in the workings of the bank.

After training school, you’ll be rotated in 3/4 different department of the Bank within 3/4 months per department.

You could do 3 months in sales (you’ll be sent to a branch), do another 3 months in compliance, another in corporate communications or IT. Basically any department.

At the end of your rotation, you’ll eventually be settled in any one of the positions you performed best.

I remember during my interview, there was a covenant university graduate who did banking and finance. She didn’t make it. My point is that for a GT role, you don’t need to have a background in finance. All that’s needed is a university.

Thanks man

4 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Nonpartisan1: 1:33pm On Aug 17, 2021
richmondefosa:
Stanbic GT is from 350.
if you are a contract staff with them who just got converted and you have less than 2 years, You're given BTA 1 (Banking transaction assistant). The salary band max is 190k.

If you are a contract staff with them with 2 years or more experience and you get converted, you're given BTA 2.
the salary band max is about 280k.

these salaries are also dependent on the location you are posted to. If you are posted to back office operations, you earn more than people posted to branches.
This is asides appraisal bonus every march and profit sharing. 12 month salary and other benefits.

stanbic converts their contract staff. if you are not more that 33 if i recall correctly. they dont accept HND. if you have HND you will have to convert it to bsc.

How come most of them are always broke if they earn that much?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by jorne: 1:35pm On Aug 17, 2021
It's true. It's a bit more than that. I have a Sister working there
UcLloyd:

Banks pay entry staffs 350k, I'm doubt o.

6 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 1:40pm On Aug 17, 2021
Nonpartisan1:

The joke is on you if you think bankers (Full time role o) are broke.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Pumpumking: 1:40pm On Aug 17, 2021
NairaEffect:
Dear NairaLanders,

Bankers in the house, can you share your thoughts on what banks are currently paying as salaries particularly for entry level in 2021.

Your contributions will be of help to many.

Thank you.

how much are they payin u? smiley
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by OJEEMAH(m): 1:41pm On Aug 17, 2021
symbolofhope:
Zenith bank Graduate Assistant( as dey called their GT) is 110,500
Two years contract, subjects to renewal for another two years, then conversion to permanent staff after 4 yrs salary for (ET
I.e executive training is 161k)
thats too poor.....how much contract staff con dey earn?

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by nedzuby: 1:42pm On Aug 17, 2021
richmondefosa:

First off, you should know Stanbic is not a Nigerian company. It is a South African company. The exams are from South Africa. But it’s what’s obtainable elsewhere I think.

Wether the lie detector test works or not, lol I can’t tell. But obviously, they’re no right or wrong questions.

Lol it’s not lie detector but psychometric test.

They do this test to know your area of weakness and strength. Not to fire you but to place you on where you can excel or better still to know what training to schedule you to help in your area of weakness

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 1:43pm On Aug 17, 2021
jorne:
It's true. It's a bit more than that. I have a Sister working there

thank you o. Someone almost roasted me when i said how much they pay GT. People think the bankers are the tellers receiving cash at the counter.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by nedzuby: 1:44pm On Aug 17, 2021
Nonpartisan1:

If you are not finically disciplined, no matter what you earn you will be broke a week or 2 after salary

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 1:45pm On Aug 17, 2021
nedzuby:

Lol it’s not lie detector but psychometric test.

They do this test to know your area of weakness and strength. Not to fire you but to place you on where you can excel or better still to know what training to schedule you to help in your area of weakness

Thank you. been long i wrote the exam and i could not readily recall the name. My colleagues called it the lie detector cheesy
There are no right or wrong answers to it. Just to know your strengths and weaknesses.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by ejimatic: 1:49pm On Aug 17, 2021
richmondefosa:
Stanbic GT is from 350.
if you are a contract staff with them who just got converted and you have less than 2 years, You're given BTA 1 (Banking transaction assistant). The salary band max is 190k.

If you are a contract staff with them with 2 years or more experience and you get converted, you're given BTA 2.
the salary band max is about 280k.

these salaries are also dependent on the location you are posted to. If you are posted to back office operations, you earn more than people posted to branches.
This is asides appraisal bonus every march and profit sharing. 12 month salary and other benefits.

stanbic converts their contract staff. if you are not more that 33 if i recall correctly. they dont accept HND. if you have HND you will have to convert it to bsc.
lies unlimited
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by ogzille(m): 1:52pm On Aug 17, 2021

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by richmondefosa(m): 1:52pm On Aug 17, 2021
ejimatic:
lies unlimited

please counter this. Don't just say lies unlimited. Counter it.

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Icon2007: 1:53pm On Aug 17, 2021
yes you are , you can apply for client service officer, zero years of experience required for this. check on their webpage and apply asap.

DSuperiorBrand:

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Nonpartisan1: 1:55pm On Aug 17, 2021
richmondefosa:

The joke is on you if you think bankers (Full time role o) are broke.

Oga they are broke to my standard...Always begging subtly in the banking hall, Even the full staff that manage my account...

I lend them money on monthly basis! Stop acting as if bankers were rich people...They are broke ass, living on loan and upfront allowances...

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by Rilwayne001: 1:55pm On Aug 17, 2021
I have OND in banking and finance (Upper credit)

A recent graduate of Finance from a reputable university in Nigeria (finished with a 2;1), however awaiting NYSC.

Does this two certificates counts in Stanbic and how can one apply without going through outsourcing firm?
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by nedzuby: 1:57pm On Aug 17, 2021
UcLloyd:

I have seen a contract staff that earned over 400k in stanbic.
They really don’t have a flat rate they pay their staff. Your salary is dependent on the department you work in

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by mkoabiola: 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2021
Banking of today is not encouraging exceot a core or permanent staff.

Only 10 % are full time staff in d banking sector
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by NamelessOGBENI(m): 1:59pm On Aug 17, 2021
richmondefosa:

In my current location, everyone is involved in managing the ATM. Doesn’t matter wether you’re a teller, CSO, asset custodian, ATM custodian or HSS. Only the branch manager is absolved. My branch isn’t an ‘A’ branch so I don’t know if it’s obtainable in bigger branches. Remember I’m stating my personal experience.

The ATM is not allowed to have a downtime for more than 20minutes. If it does, get ready to be queried.
Seems I know this bank.
Re: Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 by KazikageSama: 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2021
UcLloyd:

Stanbic GRT entry levels get promoted straight to ABO role. Which is like 2levels above the normal BTA. I think... wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.