Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley (7433 Views)

The Bob Marley You Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by pappykay1(m): 12:13pm On May 18, 2011
Yes! His work was over 30 years ago and he flew away home, leaving his global fans stupefied and in deep mourning. Robert Nesta Marley, popularly known as Bob Marley, was on May 11, 1981 felled by death caused by cancer and brain tumor. He had fought a ceaseless battle with death for eight months with the illness taking him to several hospitals in New York, USA and Munich, West Germany.

Marley finally gave up the ghost at the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in Miami, USA surrounded by members of his family including his weeping mother, Cedelar Booker.

'Woman hold her head and cry cause her son had…died. Can a woman tender care cease towards the child she bears?' Marley sang prophetically several years ago.

Humble beginning

Bob Marley had a humble beginning. He was born in the ghettos of Kingston, Jamaica on February 6, 1945. His father was Norman Marley, a British Naval Captain posted to the West Indies during the Second World War. Marley had little Western education as he dropped out of school at 14 to become an apprentice welder. He soon quit welding to team up with Peter Tosh whom he had met recently and both released a single, Simmer Down which enjoyed a considerable airplay on the local radio.

In 1964, Marley and Tosh formed the Wailing Wailers together with Bunny Livingstone Wailer, Junior Braithwaite, Beverly Kelso, Rita Anderson (who later became Rita Marley in 1966), Judy Mowatt, and Marcia Griffith (the 1-Three). The group was popular in Jamaica as it performed in many shows.

In 1972, the Wailers was signed on by Chris Blackwell's Island Records and the following year, 1973 came out with their debut album, Catch A Fire. Catch A Fire actually launched the Wailers into superstardom. The group toured Britain, but as successful as the tour was, it turned out to be the turning point for the group. Back in Jamaica, the group split with Peter Tosh and Bonny Walter opting out after alleging Bob Marley's domineering role while on tour.

'They say it's Bob Marley and the Wailers, I never tell no one to say that…' Bob objected, stressing that the band's welfare was his concern.

Bob Marley & The Wailers
After the duo opted out, the band regrouped and became known as Bob Marley and The Wailers. In 1975, the group released an album, Natty Dread. It was an instant hit both in Jamaica and abroad. 1976 witnessed a follow-up album, Rastaman Vibration with it's hit track, War. 1977 was the year of Exodus while Kaya, an album that glorifies marijuana followed in 1978. In 1979, Marley came out with Survival but could not himself survive the Uprising (1980) of the cancer affliction of 1981.

Thirty years after, Marley's work still lives on. He would constantly be remembered as the apostle of reggae music, a thorn in the flesh of the oppressors and the wailing voice of the oppressed. He was the cultural ambassador of the Carribean Island. 'We Rastas don't worry about death. The whole significance of Rastas is in life,' Marley says. The irrepresible Rastaman was perhaps peeping into the future with this statement.

Reggae revival

But then reggae fans all over the world have undoubtedly stopped worrying themselves about Marley's death, their major concern is the lack of development of reggae music after he passed away. Since Marley's death reggae music has been rudderless like a kingdom without a king. In fact, Marley was the king and since he died nobody has been able to assume the throne. Not even the ageless Jimmy Cliff nor the Grammy award winning son of Marley, Ziggy. Just as the world is yearning for the revival of reggae music, Ziggy, on whom many fans depend to bring back the music's old glory is deeply involved in his new comic book, Marijuanaman, which he's using to educate the world on the many uses of marijuana.

'I started learning more about the marijuana plant, and it's basically used for more than smoking. It strikes me as to why society is not utilising it as a natural resource, for its industrial uses, to make clothes, for nutrition among an array of other uses. All we see is the smoking aspect. I'm trying to find a way to expose the idea of its many uses in a way that's not preachy, but in an entertaining way,' Ziggy explained.

Marley's biopic

Ziggy is also involved in the making of the latest Bob Marley documentary. Produced by Tuff Gong Pictures and Shangri-La Entertainment, the documentary entitled Marley is expected for release this year. It is directed by Kevin MacDonald, who won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature with his 2000 film One Day in September, and was also behind 2009's State of Play and The Last King of Scotland (2006).

'I was involved in it deeply, which is the first I've been involved in one of the documentaries like dis. It's trying to show him (Bob Marley) in a different light, from the people who knew him best,' said Ziggy.

http://www.yollaronline.com/2011/05/30-years-without-bob-marley.html

3 Likes

Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by penitential(m): 8:03pm On May 11, 2017
pappykay1:
Yes! His work was over 30 years ago and he flew away home, leaving his global fans stupefied and in deep mourning. Robert Nesta Marley, popularly known as Bob Marley, was on May 11, 1981 felled by death caused by cancer and brain tumor. He had fought a ceaseless battle with death for eight months with the illness taking him to several hospitals in New York, USA and Munich, West Germany.

Marley finally gave up the ghost at the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in Miami, USA surrounded by members of his family including his weeping mother, Cedelar Booker.

'Woman hold her head and cry cause her son had…died. Can a woman tender care cease towards the child she bears?' Marley sang prophetically several years ago.

Humble beginning

Bob Marley had a humble beginning. He was born in the ghettos of Kingston, Jamaica on February 6, 1945. His father was Norman Marley, a British Naval Captain posted to the West Indies during the Second World War. Marley had little Western education as he dropped out of school at 14 to become an apprentice welder. He soon quit welding to team up with Peter Tosh whom he had met recently and both released a single, Simmer Down which enjoyed a considerable airplay on the local radio.

In 1964, Marley and Tosh formed the Wailing Wailers together with Bunny Livingstone Wailer, Junior Braithwaite, Beverly Kelso, Rita Anderson (who later became Rita Marley in 1966), Judy Mowatt, and Marcia Griffith (the 1-Three). The group was popular in Jamaica as it performed in many shows.

In 1972, the Wailers was signed on by Chris Blackwell's Island Records and the following year, 1973 came out with their debut album, Catch A Fire. Catch A Fire actually launched the Wailers into superstardom. The group toured Britain, but as successful as the tour was, it turned out to be the turning point for the group. Back in Jamaica, the group split with Peter Tosh and Bonny Walter opting out after alleging Bob Marley's domineering role while on tour.

'They say it's Bob Marley and the Wailers, I never tell no one to say that…' Bob objected, stressing that the band's welfare was his concern.

Bob Marley & The Wailers
After the duo opted out, the band regrouped and became known as Bob Marley and The Wailers. In 1975, the group released an album, Natty Dread. It was an instant hit both in Jamaica and abroad. 1976 witnessed a follow-up album, Rastaman Vibration with it's hit track, War. 1977 was the year of Exodus while Kaya, an album that glorifies marijuana followed in 1978. In 1979, Marley came out with Survival but could not himself survive the Uprising (1980) of the cancer affliction of 1981.

Thirty years after, Marley's work still lives on. He would constantly be remembered as the apostle of reggae music, a thorn in the flesh of the oppressors and the wailing voice of the oppressed. He was the cultural ambassador of the Carribean Island. 'We Rastas don't worry about death. The whole significance of Rastas is in life,' Marley says. The irrepresible Rastaman was perhaps peeping into the future with this statement.

Reggae revival

But then reggae fans all over the world have undoubtedly stopped worrying themselves about Marley's death, their major concern is the lack of development of reggae music after he passed away. Since Marley's death reggae music has been rudderless like a kingdom without a king. In fact, Marley was the king and since he died nobody has been able to assume the throne. Not even the ageless Jimmy Cliff nor the Grammy award winning son of Marley, Ziggy. Just as the world is yearning for the revival of reggae music, Ziggy, on whom many fans depend to bring back the music's old glory is deeply involved in his new comic book, Marijuanaman, which he's using to educate the world on the many uses of marijuana.

'I started learning more about the marijuana plant, and it's basically used for more than smoking. It strikes me as to why society is not utilising it as a natural resource, for its industrial uses, to make clothes, for nutrition among an array of other uses. All we see is the smoking aspect. I'm trying to find a way to expose the idea of its many uses in a way that's not preachy, but in an entertaining way,' Ziggy explained.

Marley's biopic

Ziggy is also involved in the making of the latest Bob Marley documentary. Produced by Tuff Gong Pictures and Shangri-La Entertainment, the documentary entitled Marley is expected for release this year. It is directed by Kevin MacDonald, who won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature with his 2000 film One Day in September, and was also behind 2009's State of Play and The Last King of Scotland (2006).

'I was involved in it deeply, which is the first I've been involved in one of the documentaries like dis. It's trying to show him (Bob Marley) in a different light, from the people who knew him best,' said Ziggy.

http://www.yollaronline.com/2011/05/30-years-without-bob-marley.html
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by ini4brandon(m): 5:25am On May 13, 2017
My favourite Bob Marley song goes..."is this love is this love is this love is this love that im feeling?"
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by Omolecturer419(m): 5:47pm On May 18, 2017
Yah man... lipsrsealed
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by sai98035: 8:13am On May 26, 2017
Great musician and entertainer. Bob Marley is a legend grin

1 Like

Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by analuwe(m): 5:56am On Jun 17, 2017
While we celebrate tthe great Bob Marley who lived and died thousands of miles away we should also remember to celebrate stars who lived with us and died recently.

OJB Jezreel died on June 14 and was celebrated on June 15 this year.
I took the time to download and listened to OJB's last featured song before he died and was wow.

The Question by Etnik featuring OJB Jezreel. The song is tight and its the last song OJB featured in before he died. Just downloaded it from MTN - i was asked to send 1032682 to 4100.
It definitely OJB's best collaboration ever
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by zealkane(m): 8:22pm On Jun 20, 2017
Bob merley will always remain a legend in my heart....what a writer and singer he was. i will forever miss him.
Redemption song is d one i love most and its evergreen in my heart
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by neyeocha: 11:30am On Aug 19, 2017
http://nucmoney.club/286314343710/

dats d site paying now , but for lazy people oooo, you must work

please I need the swift code and IBAN for GTBank ...please i need it Asap

http://nucmoney.club/286314343710/

also my first payout of $150 is for sale, I have already transfered it to my bitcoin wallets, but don't know how to cash it in naira ........ .... please I need serious people (i accept face to face transactions only).
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by CivilzedTyger(m): 7:34pm On Jan 20, 2018
Legendary! I love his son Damian Marley aka jnr gong and his grandson Skip Marley.
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by fastloan: 2:35pm On Jan 23, 2018
legend lives on
Re: 30 Years Remembrance Of Bob Marley by jaysingsopeyemi(m): 12:46am On May 18, 2018
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi4j06jlTvR
/ please help a nairaland memeber to get more views on instagram online goimg wizzypro competition

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Should This Song Be Banned-(Put Something-mr Tammy) / Meet The Real Life "Barbie Doll And Ken Doll" / Nairalander Swiftboy Has Won The Best Rising Star Award Voting Contest.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.