Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,607 members, 7,801,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? (10317 Views)

Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, / Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath / Why Do Most Nigerian Men Have Bad Body Odour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 18, 2011
As mourinho will ask why? Why is it that ALL medical workers,starting from doctors,matrons,nurses, and d worst-student doctors on intern in Luth lack manners and have bad attitude. Had a sour experience when i went to look up my mum.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by edoyad(m): 3:32pm On May 18, 2011
It's not just in Luth, virtually all govt owned hospitals dish out that type of treatment to the public. You haven't met the meanest people on this planet until you've been handled by a Nigerian nurse employed by the FG.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 18, 2011
Infact they just lost my sympathy. These folks dont deserve a dime of what they earn.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by edoyad(m): 3:46pm On May 18, 2011
My friend told me of a story where a nurse slapped a pregnant woman in labour cos "she was screaming out too loudly". grin . That really got me scared grin
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by buzugee(m): 4:03pm On May 18, 2011
edoyad:

My friend told me of a story where a nurse slapped a pregnant woman in labour cos "she was screaming out too loudly". grin . That really got me scared grin
grin
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by buzugee(m): 4:04pm On May 18, 2011
try being a nurse in luth for 1 week. you will be the same if not worse. all you see is degraded human conditions and yet you are not paid enough for the horrors. that will make mother teresa sour after a week. but the moment they see an ajebutter family come in, they brighten up real fast. cuz they know that real tip is about to get into their pockets
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 18, 2011
^dats crazy, I was simply askin about my mums condition, and dis intern female dr told me i was annoying her. Can u imagine?i had to sarcasticaly rebuke her and she said a fake sorry, but she was still sayin i annoyed her all tru our talk.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by buzugee(m): 4:10pm On May 18, 2011
valacious:

^dats crazy, I was simply askin about my mums condition, and dis intern female dr told me i was annoying her. Can u imagine?i had to sarcasticaly rebuke her and she said a fake sorry, but she was still sayin i annoyed her all tru our talk.
you shoulda started the convo by slipping her N5000. watch how she will move mountains to make you and ya mama feel comfy grin
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 18, 2011
buzugee:

try being a nurse in luth for 1 week. you will be the same if not worse. all you see is degraded human conditions and yet you are not paid enough for the horrors. that will make mother teresa sour after a week. but the moment they see an ajebutter family come in, they brighten up real fast. cuz they know that real tip is about to get into their pockets
yes, but i tot dats part of job condition u find anywia. To think of it, u tink 100k for an entry nurse is small pay?cos they pay around dat range. I tink d bad attitude tin is wat they see on ground and pickup. And dats where personal values comes in.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by buzugee(m): 4:17pm On May 18, 2011
valacious:

yes, but i tot dats part of job condition u find anywia. To think of it, u tink 100k for an entry nurse is small pay?cos they pay around dat range. I tink d bad attitude tin is wat they see on ground and pickup. And dats where personal values comes in.
well 'customer service' aint exactly top of nigerians priority. i bet you are the same way on your job or wherever. why do you expect a nurse to be different from the average rude nigerian ?
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by ziga: 4:24pm On May 18, 2011
buzugee:

well 'customer service' aint exactly top of nigerians priority. i bet you are the same way on your job or wherever. why do you expect a nurse to be different from the average rude nigerian ?

Your response is on point.
Poor customer service is a Nigerian problem. And everybody is a king in his own world. Our arrogance is the beginning of most of our problem!
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by buzugee(m): 4:26pm On May 18, 2011
ziga:

Your response is on point.
Poor customer service is a Nigerian problem. And everybody is a king in his own world. Our arrogance is the beginning of most of our problem!
right right
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 18, 2011
Far from it, am not on d same way with bad attitude. I run my biz and i sell service and Infact i had to repeat service to a customer that already used my service just yestanit and felt dissatisfied. I agree poor customer service is a monster n dis country, but wat is servicom doing? And wat annoys most is dat dis bunch wil be d first to criticise govt and clamour for a pay rise. But at Luth, it has become a way of life.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by reindeer: 7:24pm On May 18, 2011
valacious:

Far from it, am not on d same way with bad attitude. I run my biz and i sell service and Infact i had to repeat service to a customer that already used my service just yestanit and felt dissatisfied. I agree poor customer service is a monster n dis country, but wat is servicom doing? And wat annoys most is dat dis bunch wil be d first to criticise govt and clamour for a pay rise. But at Luth, it has become a way of life.

Yeah yeah, . . .pigs fly.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by MaiSuya(m): 8:21pm On May 18, 2011
valacious:

As mourinho will ask why? Why is it that ALL medical workers,starting from doctors,matrons,nurses, and d worst-student doctors on intern in Luth lack manners and have bad attitude. Had a sour experience when i went to look up my mum.

generalization is not fair. those bad mannered ones--I admit there are--are the exceptions.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 18, 2011
reindeer:

Yeah yeah, . . .pigs fly.
. And what do u mean by dis? I suppose u would be worse, if u were one of those saucy, surly nurses.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by naijaking1: 10:07pm On May 18, 2011
My family had to put an evening shift head nurse on pay-roll of 15,000 naira a month so that my dad got his medications and other regular nursing attention a few years back embarassed
Nursing and medicine are just like other professions in Nigeria, there is nothing like customer service. From Bankers, to engineers, to even priests.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by reindeer: 10:18pm On May 18, 2011
valacious:

. And what do u mean by dis? I suppose u would be worse, if u were one of those saucy, surly nurses.

You go into a hospital with this haughty attitude and of course you'll get treated just like that.
While not making excuses for bad eggs in service, you must realise that you get what you look for. Many people walk into those hospitals with a made up mind about the kind of people there and unconsciously act towards them this way.
Definitely you will get a reaction. respect begets respect. They are doing their work. I'm sure you wont like someone walking to your office and looking down on you or talking down on you. Treat people like humans and you'll get humans, behave like an ape and you'll have monkeys all over you.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Muzicphem(m): 11:30pm On May 18, 2011
Sorry to say
Nurses are averagely like that.
When they choose to be kind which is part of their profession they'll be down to earth but if you dare cross their paths they may toy with your life
So be careful when dealing with those cool fragile people. grin
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by EPOMA(m): 1:50am On May 19, 2011
valacious:

Simple answer is that most Nigerian needs total re orientation. Our ethics is just not just there
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by DisGuy: 2:11am On May 19, 2011
don't you notice how most Nigerian doctors try to defend anything critical about doctors?

LUTH has a bad reputation, fair enough they are overworked and the population is massive but there are hospitals in other parts of Africa even Nigeria with similar situations but the health providers are more professional about it, in fact some will make you understand their plight to calm your nerves and be a bit patient

These guys are good with asking for pay rise but not as vocal when it comes to asking for more hospitals to spread the work load

Best option to be honest is checking other facilities outside the state if you must use FG hospitals, the Doctors in Ondo, Ilorin are said to be 'nicer' and make a good attempt at customer service

The 'unprofessional' Doctors defender is in here againĀ 

Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by EvilBrain1(m): 2:28am On May 19, 2011
Stop generalising. Not all health workers are like that.

Besides, its not like the patients are all saints either. When I was a student in LUTH, I remember a senior nurse being beaten to death in the Accident and Emergency by some Mushin thugs whose relative had just died. It is commonplace for doctors and especially nurses to be threatened, attacked or insulted at work. I've personally received several death threats while at work.

Add to that the constant risk of being infected with HIV, Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis or something even worse and its not hard to see why they are so cranky.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Seun(m): 2:32am On May 19, 2011
Excuses, excuses. If they can't take the heat, they should resign. But they should not mistreat patients.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by DisGuy: 3:09am On May 19, 2011
Evil Brain:

Stop generalising. Not all health workers are like that.

Besides, its not like the patients are all saints either. When I was a student in LUTH, I remember a senior nurse being beaten to death in the Accident and Emergency by some Mushin thugs whose relative had just died. It is commonplace for doctors and especially nurses to be threatened, attacked or insulted at work. I've personally received several death threats while at work.

Add to that the constant risk of being infected with HIV, Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis or something even worse and its not hard to see why they are so cranky.

funny world eh? doctors/nurse feeling cranky because of disease they are meant to be treating- na only N5k abortion dem teach them for school?
which comes first? Better service begets Better Environment=Better behaved patients, you only have to think of private hospitals
why do you think patients there behave better on average than in these poorly managed environments

If the health managers there cant implement systems where customers are attended to in humane manner what exactly do you expect?
its as if they don't teach these death doctors how to 'manage' hospitals ; if they cant manage they should employ managers! and concentrate on treating patients

when they get to UK/USA they start forming friendly doctors cheesy
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by kelvin(m): 6:47am On May 19, 2011
edoyad:

It's not just in Luth, virtually all govt owned hospitals dish out that type of treatment to the public. You haven't met the meanest people on this planet until you've been handled by a Nigerian nurse employed by the FG.
Not just the nurses in govt owned hospitals, but all nurses. Its like they teach them that in nursing school (RUDE 101). Well, I won't be surprised, most nursing schools in the country are govt owned.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 7:22am On May 19, 2011
reindeer:

You go into a hospital with this haughty attitude and of course you'll get treated just like that.
While not making excuses for bad eggs in service, you must realise that you get what you look for. Many people walk into those hospitals with a made up mind about the kind of people there and unconsciously act towards them this way.
Definitely you will get a reaction. respect begets respect. They are doing their work. I'm sure you wont like someone walking to your office and looking down on you or talking down on you. Treat people like humans and you'll get humans, behave like an ape and you'll have monkeys all over you.

[quote][/quote] hello dear, maybe u should kindly read d post from start b4 typing. How does piggy come into wat we're discusing?and i responded to dat and u call dat haughty, u sure need patience 121 classes. Am a gentleman, and i dont see any harm in asking a dr to explain my mum's situation and wat i get is 'u're annoyin me'. I had to sarcasticaly caution her dat her remark were heavy b4 she apologise, and dat dint last 4 long sef.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by aisha12(f): 7:34am On May 19, 2011
the problem with this hospitals is dat they are all rude try National Hospital, there you will feel worse
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 7:37am On May 19, 2011
naijaking1:

My family had to put an evening shift head nurse on pay-roll of 15,000 naira a month so that my dad got his medications and other regular nursing attention a few years back embarassed
Nursing and medicine are just like other professions in Nigeria, there is nothing like customer service. From Bankers, to engineers, to even priests.
can u imagine, and dis is just a case, several abound. 'Pls help me with dat scissors' and d reply my sister got from a young intern was 'pls am a doctor'. All profession have dia pressure and work condition but dat doesnt giv u room to compromise service.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by emekaD3(m): 7:49am On May 19, 2011
not just luth doctors, its the same storry with unth docs down here in enugu, sad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 8:17am On May 19, 2011
Its not just medical personnel its almost everywhere in Nigeria that you get bad customer service.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 8:21am On May 19, 2011
@mods, tnx 4 making dis front page. So we already have national hospital abuja, enugu teaching hospital, and luth, i dont get, is rudeness and bad attitude an elective course in all health centres.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by savanto: 8:53am On May 19, 2011
reindeer@

I guess your are either a nurse or your mum/sister is a nurse and that is why you are saying this. All government owned hospitals have this rude attitude. Twice in recent past i had attempted slapping two nurses for rude comments. Is it a crime to ask questions when you get to the hospital? They expect you to know everything ranging from where you get the drugs, where you make payment for the drugs, there the morgue is etc when they know you do not work there? I have told them many a times that your profession demands that you show compassion to the sick. You do not even have to learn compassion 101 or 102 in school. Most Nigerians pass through School but they never allow the School to PASS through them. Nigerians go to school with an aim of passing an examination. I would not mind going to jail for beating a nurse. Male doctors are even more professional than the females who are heading because they are wearing lab coats. Please don't let me discuss the student doctors as the though of it would bring tears to my sad face. Let them be. Virtue is its own reward.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For December 8 2020 In Nigeria / C-section Delivery: How Many Times Is Too Much? / Coronavirus: NPA Places Asian Vessels On Red Alert Over COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.