Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? (19756 Views)

Feminism In Marriage Is Rubbish – Pastor Mildred Okonkwo (Video) / Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse / Nigeria Will Be Worse If Buhari Wins 2nd Term - Cardinal Okogie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:11am On Aug 15, 2021
Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse?

For me, it's clearly sexism, because it's discriminatory and has led to the abuse of most women and also much domestic violence against them.

Even before a woman is born into the world, and still in the womb, she already faces discrimination and rejection from men and also some of her fellow women, like her inlaws, when they get to know find out that she's a girl not a boy as most of them desired her to be.

A girl child is more or less being treated as a second class citizen, with no rights or real value just for being female, while a male child is usually treated as a king and being accorded with much respect just because of his sex.

What a woman goes through in this world just because she's not male is better imagined than experienced.

Men still crucify and blame the woman for all their woes just as Adam did, because of mistake she made in the beginning, as if Adam was a nursing baby that was forced to eat the forbidden fruit. But even nursing babies are able to reject food they don't want.

She was punished for her sins, and that has resulted in a lot of suffering and bondage on her part, but the coming and death of Jesus was meant to also change that and redeem the woman from her sin and its consequences. However that seems not enough for men who want to still keep her in perpetual bondage forever, as they seem to still hold that grudge against her and haven't forgiven her yet.

This include many so-called Christians and church leaders who claim to be of God, yet were still doing everything possible to keep the woman under the bondage and curse of her sins, such as that which was broken by Jesus. But the church ought to be different from the world, and reflect the changes Jesus had made with respect to the redemption of the woman through His death, however they're not much different in the respect of the mistreatment of women, thereby making the efforts of Christ to redeem her to be of none effect in the church.

It baffles me the extent to which many so-called Christian men have no regard for the woman.

They still blame her for every mistake they make, as though, regardless of what she tempts them with, they cannot reject her temptations, and say "NO", as some men have proven to be possible in the Bible which they claim to be the Word of God, like Joseph the son of Jacob in the respect of Portiphar's wife.

They behave like the sexist' Pharisees, who brought only a woman to Jesus and said she was caught in the act of adultery, but couldn't see the blunder in that, as a woman cannot be caught in the act of adultery alone and without a man. John 8:3-5

Hence their sexism and hypocrisy was already clear to Jesus, prompting Him to ask anyone of them who had no sin to cast the first stone, because only leaving out the supposed man caught in act of adultery with her and bringing her alone was a sin in itself, since the Law they tried to use to justify their actions actually commanded that both the man and woman caught in the act to be stoned to death, not just the woman. John 8:6-7

That's the same way most Christian men, including church leaders, behave. For instance, you'd hear them speak constantly and consistently against feminism, but hardly mention anything about sexism which is much more evil and has done more damage to the church and Christian marriages as a whole, than anything feminism ever could.

Women are being mistreated and beaten by many of their Christian husbands among other things, but because of the sexist' mindset and manners of most churches, the men yet feel justified and encouraged to continue with such evils, as they're given the impression that they have all the right to do whatever they liked, while the woman has none and ought not to question them, because as the saying goes, "women ought to submit to their husbands!"

Such oppression is what actually leads to fights for freedom, just it is with racism, so I wouldn't be surprised that feminism in the church is actually a product of sexism in it, as it's one way women are trying to stand up for their rights and saying "enough is enough' for the mistreatment and abuses they've suffered as a result of sexism in the church.

So whatever it is about, it's wouldn't be intended to discriminate against the men or oppress them as sexism is, but to defend themselves and curtail the prejudices they suffer as a result of just being female.

The woman however is not absolved of all blame for her sufferings, because she's also responsible for some of them, and she would be punished for it as the woman, Eve, was in the beginning. But that doesn't mean that any woman who decides to do what's right, should still be punished and kept in perpetual bondage for the sins of another woman, even though she's been set free from it, just because she is a woman.

Jesus said that only one thing is needful, and that the woman who had chosen not to follow Eve's example, but to do things right instead, and place the Word of God above everything else, including men, had chosen that right part, which no one could take away from her. John 10:42

So if the church likes, they should continue being sexist towards the women, but according to this Jesus' saying, once a woman has chosen that right part of God's Word and placed it above everything else in her life, including men, there's nothing they can do to take away that part from her, because that's all a woman needs.

God bless.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by arthurwillia(m): 7:26am On Aug 15, 2021
Ok

2 Likes

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Righteousness2(m): 8:37am On Aug 15, 2021
The Word of GOD has everything humanity needs.
Sexism is Wickedness , Feminism is rebellion. They are both evils. They are not acts we should be comparing. It's like Comparing yahoo yahoo and Rituals, which one is this or that?

What we should be after in the Home is LOVE and SUBMISSION. These are 2 Major Indices the Institutor of the Marriage Institution gave to us.

Any other thing, no matter how Modified is Pure Rebellion against GOD'S Order.

We should strive to Live as our Maker, GOD Almighty asked us to not striving for Contention.

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:04am On Aug 15, 2021
Righteousness2:
The Word of GOD has everything humanity needs.
Sexism is Wickedness , Feminism is rebellion. They are both evils. They are not acts we should be comparing. It's like Comparing yahoo yahoo and Rituals, which one is this or that?

We should strive to Live as our Maker, GOD Almighty asked us to not striving for Contention.
Perhaps "comparing" is what we've been compelled to do since those who ought to speak against such evils keep mute.

I have never heard you speak up against sexism, but strongly against feminism just as most Christian men do, which I noted in the Op.

Why is that?

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by AntiChristian: 9:06am On Aug 15, 2021
Someone is comparing eating cow dung and goat dung!

Filth is filth!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by BRATISLAVA: 9:10am On Aug 15, 2021
Righteousness

Feminism isn't evil. It is like white people saying racial equality is evil.

And if they are both evil, why have pastors neglected talking about the large number of men who use masochist cults like the incels, red pill and men going their own way to demean, oppress and abuse women? These are rebellious male cults and pastors need to talk about them more than the attention they give anything to do with women.

Or maybe they are quiet about them because they support and believe those evils as men.

If men treated women well, there would be no feminism. The root cause needs exposing and treatment. Not hiding from it. Because we don't want to compare it, we end up allowing a greater evil to fester.

Check the news on what sexism/masochism has caused. Recently a young man shot to death several people including his own mother because in his male cult they all hate women and down grade feminists. They believe they are superior and women owe them preference.

In African homes, they go to church to fight feminism and return home to beat and oppress their wives because of what? Is that living as God wanted it?

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by DrGill(m): 9:41am On Aug 15, 2021
Both are sh!tty
Humanity and Love should be everyone's watch word
THE FUTURE IS FEMALE

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Blacknote: 9:41am On Aug 15, 2021
Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by KingOfAllIgbos: 9:41am On Aug 15, 2021
grin

Sexism in okay in moderation... Feminism is nonsense ( I don't care what YOU think)

"What a man can do, a woman can do better" is not always true.

Pound for pound, man are naturally physically stronger than women. Ask military folks.

I wouldn't delve into the emotional aspect. It's very subjective.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Isuoprem: 9:41am On Aug 15, 2021
cheesy
Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by socialmediaman: 9:41am On Aug 15, 2021
Feminism is misunderstood by many Nigerian women who advocate for it. I also do not agree with certain parts of feminism, especially the ones that advocate for equality of leadership in the household. I will get back to feminism in a moment, let me address something in the next 2 paragraphs.

Our parents understood there is something called role play in the house. The man is the head of household whether he makes less income or not. The decisions should be made by him after due consideration with the wife, but that responsibility should be left to him for the good of the home.

It’s like CEO and CFO. The CFO is the person who does the finances, and advises the CEO on budgets, expenditure and income. But the CEO is empowered and trusted to make decisions for the company. In the home, the man is the CEO while the wife is the CFO. If you don’t think your man should lead your family, don’t marry him, stay single or find someone else. You stifle the man’s ability to lead when you continue to contest leadership of the home with him. Many of us make more money than our parents yet we allow them to lead and make decisions, but in the home we want to lead our husbands.

Back to the topic of feminism. When it comes to equal pay, right to inheritance, right to vote, right to lead in organizations, right to be respected as humans, right of social association, I think many men already subscribe to feminism, though many Nigerian men struggle with that. Women should be able to have nights out with their friends and colleagues, belong to social and political groups etc but you see those household chores like doing dishes and laundry, vacuuming, cleaning and making food available? It’s her job, just like most men do the trash, wash the car, do the yard work and also help out sometimes

Anyway, feminism is about being treated fairly though the advocates almost always want to go beyond what it is, which is why many men oppose it. It’s a game, feminism will likely never be accepted by men because it threatens their role in the society and they not it’s not not just about equity, it’s something more. Nigerian feminism is worse, it’s about challenging gender roles on a platter of entitlement which is why it may never succeed.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 15, 2021
grin
Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by DropsMic(m): 9:44am On Aug 15, 2021
None of them
Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Martinez39s(m): 9:44am On Aug 15, 2021
Feminism = Sexism and misandry.

3 Likes

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 15, 2021
Sexism is worse really.

Infact some of the 'bad' aspects of feminism came as a reaction to sexist attitudes

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by wunmi590(m): 9:44am On Aug 15, 2021
shocked
Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by JosephXavier: 9:44am On Aug 15, 2021
OP I don't know how you managed to think through this sh*t and was convinced enough to bring this online

I read just two paragraphs and I went back to check the gender and was surprised to see that it was from a male Nairalander, perhaps you might even be a simp

How will say that before a woman is born that she already faces discrimination

First of all, check the chances of getting a job after going to school and you'll see that women are more favoured

In an average Nigerian home, you'll see brothers working to earn a living decently but their sisters who might be earning less have more material things to show and flaunt as if they even earn higher than their brother. Now tell me how they're disadvantaged

You pick a quarrel with woman, whether you're right or wrong, the next thing you'll hear is "don't you know she's a woman? "

How many women are suffering from police brutality

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by urchcoded(m): 9:44am On Aug 15, 2021
Both are toxic. From the biblical perspective, you cannot be a christian and feminist. No, you have to submit, or keep quiet and let a man speak. This means a lot. Of course, it's an ancient book, written when women had little or no value. They were actually commodities. As times changed, people realized that the old testament was too old and could not represent the realities of the recent times, hence the new testament came about, which took to account the realities of the changing times. Well as far as I'm concerned, the new testament is now old and should be updated to accommodate the realities of today at least women shouldn't be told to shut up and wait for someone to talk because the person has a penis. Anyway, naturally, there is no balance to this gender issue, you can modify nature or tweak it and get away with the consequences some of the time, but never always. Most times, nature has a way of reminding you that you have altered something fundamental and the more you try to repair it the more it scatters further. In other words, apply caution in seeking so called equality between men and women, it has consequences. Some, you may override, some will lead to a ripple of chaos in the family, society and the world at large.

6 Likes

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by oloyedewaris(m): 9:44am On Aug 15, 2021
k

1 Like

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by BUSHHUNTER: 9:45am On Aug 15, 2021
Simp

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Kondomatic(m): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2021
For me, it's clearly sexism, because it's discriminatory and has led to the abuse of most women and also much domestic violence against them.
That's because you've no idea what you're saying.

Feminism is sexism...... Don't argue this. Feminism started with a noble purpose but what we have now is a female Supremacy Movement that's being championed by "lazybians" and misandrists.

Let's start with the word itself, "feminism"? Just like racism which is a belief that one's race is superior than the other, feminism ageism, classism and some other unnecessary isms out there are based on domination.

There's no feminist out there who isn't a sexist... The only problem is that feminism even divides women but let's stick to the topic.

There's no point comparing sexism with feminism because the duo are inextricably intertwined.

Even before a woman is born into the world, and still in the womb, she already faces discrimination and rejection from men and also some of her fellow women, like her inlaws, when they get to know find out that she's a girl not a boy as most of them desired her to be.
Madness. The boy child also faces the same rejection when a woman has had two boys without a girl.

A girl child is more or less being treated as a second class citizen, with no rights or real value just for being female, while a male child is usually treated as a king and being accorded with much respect just because of his sex.
Who put you up to write this rubbish this morning?

A male child is treated like king?

Show a female almajiri and I will apologize for everything I have said so far.

Show me underaged female shoe maker/shiner. Show me underaged female mechanic, vulcanizer, carpenter, conductor etc and I will agree that the boy child is king.

In a family, the girl child is untouchable. If a boy going to a boarding school or a boy in the university receives N20k from his parents, his twin sister will receive N60k.

This is known.

Boys are forced to fend for themselves at a very early age. Women are more in schools than men, why? Because the boys are out doing apprentice for one oga or the other.

What a woman goes through in this world just because she's not male is better imagined than experienced.
I have no energy left in me to reply to this unnecessary rubbish this morning.

I stopped reading here too.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Blakjewelry(m): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2021
Most of problems you mentioned have their origin in religion

2 Likes

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by oluwaseyi0: 9:45am On Aug 15, 2021
Sexism is as evil as racism even more

On feminism every practice that put women in unnecessarily difficult position simply because they are female and nothing else should be abolished

For example igbo culture won't give their daughter inheritance because they are going to husband house the same culture will snatch all the deceased husband possession from the wife, same wife who came from a financially not too bad family and marry a not too bad financially man now reduced to a begger

Hence it's obvious the whole plot was carefully planned against women in all directions

In thinking men are doing women they end up doing themselves and their children I know a family that is suffering because the man's brother took all his house when he died leaving the wife with little to care for the children

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by heniford2: 9:45am On Aug 15, 2021
Feminism worst die

2 Likes

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Neurotika: 9:45am On Aug 15, 2021
Gone are the days women are treated as second class citizens...in today's reality they are more favoured than men. Men commits more suicide, have a higher mortality rate, records more depression, financial expectations and societal pressures...nearly 70% of divorce is initiated by women...the list is endless. At the end of the day, both genders are constantly embroiled in a battle of superiority with the females currently topping the charts.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by TheRedpillguy: 9:46am On Aug 15, 2021
Can we just figure this artificial Birth machine thing out and stop giving birth to Females?
Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by saphiere(f): 9:46am On Aug 15, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse?

Men still crucify and blame the woman for all their woes just as Adam did, because of mistake she made in the beginning, as if Adam was a nursing baby that was forced to eat the forbidden fruit. But even nursing babies are able to reject food they don't want.

She was punished for her sins, and that has resulted in a lot of suffering and bondage on her part, but the coming and death of Jesus was meant to also change that and redeem the woman from her sin and its consequences. However that seems not enough for men who want to still keep her in perpetual bondage forever, as they seem to still hold that grudge against her and haven't forgiven her yet.

This include many so-called Christians and church leaders who claim to be of God, yet were still doing everything possible to keep the woman under the bondage and curse of her sins, such as that which was broken by Jesus. But the church ought to be different from the world, and reflect the changes Jesus had made with respect to the redemption of the woman through His death, however they're not much different in the respect of the mistreatment of women, thereby making the efforts of Christ to redeem her to be of none effect in the church.

It baffles me the extent to which many so-called Christian men have no regard for the woman.

They still blame her for every mistake they make, as though, regardless of what she tempts them with, they cannot reject her temptations, and say "NO", as some men have proven to be possible in the Bible which they claim to be the Word of God, like Joseph the son of Jacob in the respect of Portiphar's wife.

They behave like the sexist' Pharisees, who brought only a woman to Jesus and said she was caught in the act of adultery, but couldn't see the blunder in that, as a woman cannot be caught in the act of adultery alone and without a man. John 8:3-5

Hence their sexism and hypocrisy was already clear to Jesus, prompting Him to ask anyone of them who had no sin to cast the first stone, because only leaving out the supposed man caught in act of adultery with her and bringing her alone was a sin in itself, since the Law they tried to use to justify their actions actually commanded that both the man and woman caught in the act to be stoned to death, not just the woman. John 8:6-7

That's the same way most Christian men, including church leaders, behave. For instance, you'd hear them speak constantly and consistently against feminism, but hardly mention anything about sexism which is much more evil and has done more damage to the church and Christian marriages as a whole, than anything feminism ever could.

Women are being mistreated and beaten by many of their Christian husbands among other things, but because of the sexist' mindset and manners of most churches, the men yet feel justified and encouraged to continue with such evils, as they're given the impression that they have all the right to do whatever they liked, while the woman has none and ought not to question them, because as the saying goes, "women ought to submit to their husbands!"

Such oppression is what actually leads to fights for freedom, just it is with racism, so I wouldn't be surprised that feminism in the church is actually a product of sexism in it, as it's one way women are trying to stand up for their rights and saying "enough is enough' for the mistreatment and abuses they've suffered as a result of sexism in the church.

So whatever it is about, it's wouldn't be intended to discriminate against the men or oppress them as sexism is, but to defend themselves and curtail the prejudices they suffer as a result of just being female.

The woman however is not absolved of all blame for her sufferings, because she's also responsible for some of them, and she would be punished for it as the woman, Eve, was in the beginning. But that doesn't mean that any woman who decides to do what's right, should still be punished and kept in perpetual bondage for the sins of another woman, even though she's been set free from it, just because she is a woman.

Jesus said that only one thing is needful, and that the woman who had chosen not to follow Eve's example, but to do things right instead, and place the Word of God above everything else, including men, had chosen that right part, which no one could take away from her. John 10:42

So if the church likes, they should continue being sexist towards the women, but according to this Jesus' saying, once a woman has chosen that right part of God's Word and placed it above everything else in her life, including men, there's nothing they can do to take away that part from her, because that's all a woman needs.

God bless.
Feminism worse?

Op you are sick seriously.

2 Likes

Re: Sexism Or Feminism? Which Is Worse? by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 15, 2021
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Annoying Thing An Usher Has Done To You In Church? / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online / Will The “Great Crowd” Be On Earth When Armageddon Breaks Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.