Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid (8474 Views)

Lagos-bound Plane Makes Air Return After Fire Alarm In Port Harcourt / Lagos-Bound Bristow Helicopter Crashes Into The Ocean / Lagos-Bound Train From Ogun Hits Truck (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Bawss1(m): 10:48am On May 19, 2011
turboman:

My brother, their business is booming, Kirikiri is fully booked for now o! EFCC have booked for 14 out of the remaining 15 bed spaces to lodge some of their clients after the May29 handover. the remaining one has been reserved specially for you. Good luck    grin

You are killing me man. Only on NL do I come across such talent. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by sley4life(m): 10:57am On May 19, 2011
the pilot shud b frm middle east
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by sandee575(f): 11:42am On May 19, 2011
Jakumo (m)
Location Location

Re: After Murdering Wife,pilot Considered Crashing A Lagos-bound British Airways Jet In A Suicide Bi
« #20 on: Today at 06:08:23 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The life of airline captains is not as glamorous as many would imagine. It often takes many long impoverished years for them to completely refund the loans they needed to complete aviation school, and when they first start out as regional airline pilots, they make as little as $14K a year. Hell, Mcdonalds pays as much as that to its burger flippers, which explains why some laid-off pilots wind up settling for menial employment as truck drivers or store greeters in Wallmart.

Furthermore, seniority is completely lost when a pilot is furloughed, or voluntarily leaves one airline to join another. That means a left-seat 747 captain who loses his high-paying job could wind up as a right-seat first-officer in a freight hauler like Fed-ex, earning peanuts, working long hours in the cockpit of an ageing 727 out in far-flung locations, and losing all the prestige of that previous captain spot that took him literally decades to attain before that dreaded furlough.

Clearly this BA 747 captain was belittled and humiliated by his independently wealthy wife and her use of expensive attorneys in their marital battle, which explains his ultimate consideration of murder and suicide as an end to his troubled existence. For every underpaid pilot who does tip over into insanity, there are many more who are near breaking point, due to the abiding curses of being underpaid, in troubled marriages, and on very difficult work schedules.

In my humble opinion, airline pilots deserve salaries and job promotion opportunities comparable to that of medical doctors, given that both categories of employment routinely entrust human lives to a highly trained professional who must not be distracted by money woes or fears of job security. That being said, the suicidal captain who contemplated crashing his 747 into a Lagos suburb must now face the full weight of criminal justice.

The life of a pilot in Uk may not be glamorous but it goes with pride and dignity. Pilots' careers are influenced by their countries of practice but we shall focus on the country where this crime was committed. As compared to the rest of the world, pilots in the Uk are priviledged to have a well monitored and accountable system, typical of most things the British do. They are relatively better paid and if they must refund any loans taken to facilitate their primary training, conditions for such repayment are definitely not as draconian as we are being led to believe. Even as regional pilots, what they earn is in multiples of the quoted $14k a year. A British Airways pilot, especially one rated on the B 747 and in the capacity of a Captain is one of the best paid pilots in the world, please google for confirmation. This suicidal Captain has obviously lost his mind, but the cause has no significance to his job as a pilot otherwise assylums all over the world will have a high representation of pilots due numerous probable reasons ("abiding curses"winkas given by the honourable Jakumo.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by tpia5: 11:58am On May 19, 2011
^Thank you.

Jakumo where did you see a pilot acting as a store greeter in walmart.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by sandee575(f): 12:05pm On May 19, 2011
@tpia

he works there grin grin
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by klear(f): 2:09pm On May 19, 2011
Buffoon! watz our biz wit ur failed marriage dat u wld contemplate wasting innocent Nigerian lives? angry Oya go & hug a transformer now & end ur miserable life angry angry
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Gbenge77(m): 2:12pm On May 19, 2011
sley4life:

the pilot shud b frm middle east
Not neccesarily;he appears to hail from England
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by seunlayi(m): 3:05pm On May 19, 2011
Na wa o
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by orgasm(m): 7:18pm On May 19, 2011
Thank God he changed his mind. Thats a national tragedy averted.Is obvious from his statement that he has been planning the crime two years before. it is a premeditated murder so he is culpable.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by MMM2(m): 8:09pm On May 19, 2011
the passengers in d plane should be doing thanksgiving.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 19, 2011
He must have been possesed by a Bin-Ladenish spirit. cool
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by maasoap(m): 9:26pm On May 19, 2011
The guy is a liar. Does he even believe that devil exist? No! How could he find it difficult to remember how he hammered his wife 14 times? But to recall that moment was very difficult for him because he knew that that moment was too horrible to recount.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 19, 2011
Never underestimate the relevance of regular psychiatric evaluations
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 19, 2011
Thank God for God.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Gbenge77(m): 11:16pm On May 19, 2011
maasoap:

The guy is a liar. Does he even believe that devil exist? No! How could he find it difficult to remember how he hammered his wife 14 times? But to recall that moment was very difficult for him because he knew that that moment was too horrible to recount.
he is the devil re incarnated.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by shotster50(m): 12:56am On May 20, 2011
What a disaster it would have been, had he carried out that plan, I dont really get how some people have twisted this to give the story a racial subtext, Whats up with all that insecurities?
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by lastpage: 3:43am On May 20, 2011
This story is troubling, remembering that l traveled from Heathrow, around that time! Jesus Christ!!

Anyway, l am not concerned (now) that he chose to consider crashing the 747 coming to Nigeria but then, that was the flight he was "scheduled" to fly. If he was scheduled to fly to NewYork or Japan, l am sure he would have had the same thoughts about those flight.

Having said that, what bothers me is WHY this man, who spent all his life to train to the level of a Captain, has two children, suddenly became not only murderous but suicidal?

He said his marriage agreement  "stitched him up". That statement encompasses everything!
I know women in the West love the "Western" family laws and legal system as it gave them an unfair advantage over their husbands.
I know women in Nigeria feel they should also be entitled to such lop-sided laws, in Nigeria!

Thing is, "You cant eat your cake and have it". Everything in life has its own "Pros" and "Cons".

Almost on a daily basis,  You will read about a man murdering his wife (and children) and then committing suicide!
In ALL cases, the marriage is broken down and the woman Now decides to "teach him a lesson" by taking advantage of the lopsided laws!

Until the Western world decides to correct the "imbalances" in the marital/family laws, such senseless MURDERS would be the norm!

Laws which sought to destroy a man simply because he wants to get out of an abusive relationship; Laws which allow the woman to drive her husband out of the house using the Cops, take away the mans house and render him homeless simply because his wife does not want him anymore; Laws which make him work 24hours only for him to hand-over the money to his former wife, to enjoy with her new boyfriend; Laws which allow the woman to deprive the man, the company and love of children he pays child-support on; will only generate the "animal in the man".

I hope we all learn a lesson or two from such events. wink

(shakes head and waits for the first salvo from an enraged, nut-case woman grin )
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Nobody: 5:25am On May 20, 2011
Gosh! thank God he did not crash the plane! Enough Yoruba peeps would have been dead!
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Gbenge77(m): 12:16pm On May 20, 2011
shotster50:

What a disaster it would have been, had he carried out that plan, I dont really get how some people have twisted this to give the story a racial subtext, Whats up with all that insecurities?
Really,theres nothing racial about ip.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by manny4life(m): 1:13am On May 21, 2011
Jakumo:

The life of airline captains is not as glamorous as many would imagine.   It often takes many long impoverished years for them to completely refund the loans they needed to complete aviation school, and when they first start out as regional airline pilots, they make as little as $14K a year.   Hell, Mcdonalds pays as much as that to its burger flippers, which explains why some laid-off pilots wind up settling for menial employment as truck drivers or store greeters in Wallmart.

Furthermore, seniority is completely lost when a pilot is furloughed, or voluntarily leaves one airline to join another.   That means a left-seat 747 captain who loses his high-paying job could wind up as a right-seat first-officer in a freight hauler like Fed-ex, earning peanuts, working long hours in the cockpit of an ageing 727 out in  far-flung locations, and losing all the prestige of that previous captain spot that took him literally decades to attain before that dreaded furlough.

Clearly this BA 747 captain was belittled and humiliated by his independently wealthy wife and her use of expensive attorneys in their marital battle, which explains his ultimate consideration of murder and suicide as an end to his troubled existence.  For every underpaid pilot who does tip over into insanity, there are many more who are near breaking point, due to the abiding curses of being underpaid, in troubled marriages, and on very difficult work schedules.

In my humble opinion, airline pilots deserve salaries and job promotion opportunities comparable to that of medical doctors, given that both categories of employment routinely entrust human lives to a highly trained professional who must not be distracted by money woes or fears of job security.   That being said, the suicidal captain who contemplated crashing his 747 into a Lagos suburb must now face the full weight of criminal justice.

I strongly agree with Jakumo; I would have been a victim had I continued in school. I went to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Daytona Beach Campus) with the hopes to get my license up to CFI and the transition to Regional but when I researched what regional airlines were paying and after that you spend a good amount of years to build up flight time to transition to national carriers; I called it off after a year and decided to go for a four year degree I know that won't pay me $11 an hr and if you're lucky you get up to 60hrs monthly, like I heard, i.e. if you're not on-call (forgotten the name they call them). Yes did I forget they are really indebted as much as $60,000 or more after getting your CFI, then type ratings, is another story entirely. Hey I have a good job, @ a young age and I'm seriously considering going to flight school but choose a different path; rather than regional or national carrier,  I go with private or charter service.

But a B747 captain, he has attained his height of success, what else does he wanna fly? A380 or the Beluga? That is no excuse to wanna crash an airplane with passengers, let him face the law period (gross attempted murder)
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by lastpage: 1:58am On May 21, 2011
@engineerd

Gosh! thank God he did not crash the plane! Enough Yoruba peeps would have been dead!

Wetin, this racial slur no dey tire una? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by USA1234567: 12:43pm On May 21, 2011
Omg this world is full mess
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by oge4real(f): 1:23pm On May 21, 2011
Just imagine how a deranged brain functions. What is the sin of the innocent passengers he intended murdering?
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by eewule(m): 1:36pm On May 21, 2011
What I would have like to know is: Does the airline allocate flight destinations to their pilots (and allocated him for Lagos flight) or did he pick which country/flight he would like to crash  angry
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by yankee123: 5:03pm On May 21, 2011
Thats really bad hmmmmm
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by shotster50(m): 11:38pm On May 21, 2011
eewule:

What I would have like to know is: Does the airline allocate flight destinations to their pilots (and allocated him for Lagos flight) or did he pick which country/flight he would like to crash  angry

No they have a ballot, The pilot selects a random ball (containing different flight destinations), whichever one you pick is the city you will fly to.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by Gbenge77(m): 7:22am On Nov 19, 2011
shotster50:

No they have a ballot, The pilot selects a random ball (containing different flight destinations), whichever one you pick is the city you will fly to.
really?
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by kooto(m): 4:55pm On Nov 21, 2011
na God no allow am take dat decision to come & crash here,(or anywhere) where our emergency responce is zero, na blacks go plenty pass for that flight o, God still dey answer prayers.
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by AjanleKoko: 8:57am On Nov 24, 2011
Hehehe.
Naija Prayer Warriors 'prayed' the suicidal maniac off the roster grin
Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by unveil(f): 9:45pm On Mar 27, 2015
I guess we were lucky. This one went past us !

1 Like

Re: Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid by ttmacoy: 8:06pm On Mar 28, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Does Philippine Visit Visa Cost? / What Africa Country Is Good To Reside Apart From SA / Memorial University Canda,2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.