Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? (42946 Views)

I Was Deported From Abroad. Urgent Advice Needed / 'It's Not Worth It'; Couple Who Returned From Libya Amid Suffering. Photos / "I Was Deceived By My Friend"; Nigerian Lady Who Returned From Libya. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by GreatMage: 8:52am On Sep 17, 2021
Klass99:

@ The bold, in doing my research on how to quit the rat race one article said to do it effectively - you'll need monthly income from non-job sources which exceeds your monthly expenses

In my mind I was like, why don't they teach these things in school? Or why do our parents not teach financial literacy in the best way they can? Na to dey groom person for marriage only, we sabi for Africa.

I know 4 people who returned home after about 10, 13 and 9yrs overseas.

Tony 9 years in the UK - said he got tired of the system and systemic racism he occasionally encountered. He was just one year from acquiring his residency and people advised him to hang in there for one more year before returning to Naija........but he said he was so fed up another year would have felt like Yaba left to him grin

Mike 13 years in the UK - said everything worked right, the system, infrastructures were efficient, the govt wasn't an inept one etc, but he would never be rich there as much as he would be in Naija. So, he came home.......plus he was ready to marry and as a traditional Igbo man to the core I'm not sure any foreign based women would have worked for him, whether black or white.

Amanda, 4 years in the UK then another 5 in France - said she returned because we have a strong network of family & friends relationships here, unlike overseas and she really missed that. According to her if you need 10k, 20 or more there's no way your family or friends won't raise that money for you, even if the 20k comes from 4 different people (as in, 5k from each person) But, overseas if you need like £2 OYO will be your case. Plus, she wanted to give back to her community in Naija.

Alex 6 years in............I can't remember the country again grin, came back because he felt his life was too regimented by bills. According to him he couldn't do much after paying every damn bill, he never had enough left over to just chill or do nice things for himself the way he could in Naija.

He said in Naija, you can pay bills and still have enough left over to travel, lavishly hang out with your guys, assist others who need financial help etc His hands were pretty much tied when it came to these activities overseas.

All of these people are doing well and I haven't heard or detected a trace of regret from any of them.

Bookmarked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by FreeIgboho: 12:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
kushe:

Did you hear that razz is the new cool?
Even people who schooled abroad with imported accents have to acquire a bit of street lingo to prove their street cred.

There is a time and place for everything. People on Nairaland constantly writing "in the abroad" are not doing it for street cred!
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by musicwriter(m): 1:02pm On Sep 17, 2021
A001:

How did you confirm the highlighted?

P.S.: Still expecting to hear from you as regards what I discussed with you last month, please.

I am not a kid, so I also set up intelligence on them. I was able to trick them to about 4 hotels and actually saw them. A friend was able to have sex with the wife and the other friend with the girlfriend of some of them. They're finished!!. If anybody; including the CIA and MI6 want to learn intelligence gathering, they should learn it from me. Mind you, they're reading this message.

I'll let you know when I return as promised.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by A001: 1:31pm On Sep 17, 2021
musicwriter:

I am not a kid, so I also set up intelligence on them. I was able to trick them to about 4 hotels and actually saw them. A friend was able to have sex with the wife and the other friend with the girlfriend of some of them. They're finished!!. If anybody; including the CIA and MI6 want to learn intelligence gathering, they should learn it from me. Mind you, they're reading this message.

I'll let you know when I return as promised.
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Agent8706(m): 2:32pm On Sep 17, 2021
Lamanii22:
I haven't even boarded a plane before but then I'd love to read other people's comments...

You will someday soon my dear, very soon sef, just keep breathing

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Oviebright: 3:44pm On Sep 17, 2021
LordOfTheGame:

I love the truth in your comment. Would you like to board a plane any time soon, you can let me know and I help you achieve that on my own terms and conditions.
Please extend the offer to me I haven’t boarded a plane in my life.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by deept(m): 4:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
OkanlawonB:

Oyinbo man retiring at the age of 40 years in the western world is an exception, it is not typical at all. You may retire at such an age or even much more younger based mostly on health grounds like physical disabilities or mental issues. An able bodied 40year old with no mental issue or maybe too much domestic duties that doesnt want to work is a lazy fellow.

I disagree sir. Some people see work as a means to an end not an end. Retirement doesn't mean he will stop working but doesn't need to work to make money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by jefe03(m): 9:12pm On Sep 18, 2021
Agent8706:

You will someday soon my dear, very soon sef, just keep breathing

Instead of telling her to save aggressively for traveling out, you telling her just to keep on breathing...hmmm, happy breathing ooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Bifwoli: 12:00am On Sep 19, 2021
Klass99:

What your Ghanaian friend did is something I wish I had known earlier or younger me had done sooner (i.e. the aggressive saving then investing, towards an early retirement) Too bad I don't earn in foreign currency like him, the naira go slow runs for me.

What the oyinbo man did, is a realization I came to last year when Covid happened and we were in lockdown. I realized (Klass) you can retire early and not continue this rat race, I realized this work and quench mentality or work till retirement age, doesn't have to be your story or reality.

I smell a rotten fish here , the real truth is very very very few(i mean those in the topmost position of the 1% to 5% of top income earners) can earn and save over $100,000 a year. Now for some immigrant to come earn that kind in their 1st three years i smell something rotten.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Smile4mee01: 1:17pm On Sep 19, 2021
Bifwoli:
I smell a rotten fish here , the real truth is very very very few(i mean those in the topmost position of the 1% to 5% of top income earners) can earn and save over $100,000 a year. Now for some immigrant to come earn that kind in their 1st three years i smell something rotten.

I was as suprised as you are until I saw his tax return, he earned 129,000 ish. He cares for complex needs patients, those ones that people run away from.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Agent8706(m): 7:43pm On Sep 19, 2021
jefe03:

Instead of telling her to save aggressively for traveling out, you telling her just to keep on breathing...hmmm, happy breathing ooo

Hope you know you are a fool right?

If my reply doesn't concern you just stay off please

Mad and jobless people on Nairaland looking for who to join issues with...damn!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Klass99(f): 6:37am On Sep 20, 2021
smiley
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 8:09am On Oct 16, 2021
AlphaLion:

My people, don’t allow some persons deceive you. The west is a complete capitalist society and it even reflects in senior care.
What this person failed to mention is the number of homeless old people littered everywhere in the abroad that government has ignored.
Even the old people’s homes are of different grades. You will only be taken care of according to how your pocket can provide for you. If your money no reach, you are on your own. And you know it’s not hard to be homeless in the west.

If you want to spend your last days in an old people’s home, start saving money now so you can afford a home with excellent care. Or else…
Did you really believe what you just wrote up there?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 8:12am On Oct 16, 2021
Klass99:

What your Ghanaian friend did is something I wish I had known earlier or younger me had done sooner (i.e. the aggressive saving then investing, towards an early retirement) Too bad I don't earn in foreign currency like him, the naira go slow runs for me.

What the oyinbo man did, is a realization I came to last year when Covid happened and we were in lockdown. I realized (Klass) you can retire early and not continue this rat race, I realized this work and quench mentality or work till retirement age, doesn't have to be your story or reality.

I agree with you, anyone going abroad should have an entry and exit plan plus stick to it.it is easy to save if you ate disciplined.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 8:13am On Oct 16, 2021
kushe:

Did you hear that razz is the new cool?
Even people who schooled abroad with imported accents have to acquire a bit of street lingo to prove their street cred.
That's for boys, men do different

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Gracehelens: 5:15pm On Dec 25, 2021
Hi guys, I am currently applying into universities in Germany, can anyone please tell me ways to go about and so I don't get denied or any negative stumbling stone.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Theophinio(m): 1:16am On Mar 30, 2022
erico2k2:

The issue of returning back to Nigeria is a personal choice, just cos you do not want to does not make it BAD idea! But there are loads of us Nigerians living abroad thinking investing in one's country is a waste of space, the quicker we realize the new narrative is what we have back home the quicker we get real with the reality that whatever we own abroad isn't ours

Exactly � boss

As an African with citizenship status in the "West". You still do not feel among.

Let's tell ourselves the bitter truth

More Africans especially Nigerians are gradually waking up to this reality and investing massively in Nigeria ��

That's where you really belong.

Your Assets are truly yours in your real continent.

Just take a look at what's happening to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich

Do you think if Chelsea was situated in Russia �� or any of the Soviet Union, they would force him to give up his hard earned Asset for free or even cash.

Let's be wise and emancipate ourselves from mental slavery

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Theophinio(m): 1:41am On Mar 30, 2022
HEAVEN4444:
lol my post was based on if the story was true.i know for a fact that all these stories are lies.i read one who wrote his friend was doing dirty work and cleaning old peoples yansh and saving 100k dollars a year doing that. those jobs pay you 20 dollars an hour at most. lets assume its 20. then a week is 800 dollars and a year is 40 thousand dollars. so if someone is making 40,000 a year how is he saving 100k a year ? most of these stories from nigerians are lies on this forum. i never understand why it is in the nigerian mans blood to exaggerate issues LMAOO

You have said it all boss

You haven't even deducted over 20% of that money that goes to the government as tax talk less of rent feeding and utilities.

Rat race is a very depressing state

At the end of the year one ends with nothing

This goes on for years

Alot of Nigerians keep on deceiving themselves

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Bifwoli: 2:22am On Mar 30, 2022
Klass99:

But, how is it my business that you smell a rotten fish? You should have directed your post to the original poster not me.

I can't even see the correlation between your post and mine which quoted.
I was just alerting you in a friendly way don't accept the lies.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 3:22am On Mar 30, 2022
Bifwoli:
I was just alerting you in a friendly way don't accept the lies.

Wise man giving good advice. Especially when certain other monikers now cursing the idea of traveling abroad have many posts detailing them desperately trying to Japa but failing in their post history.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 5:23pm On Apr 17, 2022
Klass99:

you just described resign not retire.To retire is to stop any activity to earn from.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 5:26pm On Apr 17, 2022
descarado:

My husband has been drumming it in my ears that he will retire at 50. I recently started thinking that way.

Honestly, it makes sense. Cos it will make you start saving and investing.
I think we get confused here between retirement and Resignation.Having your own biz does not amount to retirement.
Retirement is to stop WORK.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by OgaTheTop2: 1:54am On Aug 31, 2023
mariahAngel:
Op, just in case you’re planning to return home, at least wait until Buhari is out of our lives!

He’s the pain in our collective butts!
From frying pan to fire... I think the Op should wait further because Tinubu is Buhari promax...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by XAUBulls: 3:18pm On Nov 27, 2023
Smile4mee01:
Most Nigerians youth would fancy traveling abroad to better their lives, which is not a bad thing. In fact, some people's lives have changed for the better only because they traveled out of Nigeria.

However, this thread is about those who chose to return home for reasons such as
1. Inability to get legal papers to continue to reside there.
2. Personal choice
3. Better Job offers
And by Abroad, I mean developed “1st world countries “like USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Germany etc

As a Nigerian in Diaspora myself, one of my good friends (We both in our 30s’) who is Ghanaian is ready to go back to his country. He has been very frugal here saving over $100,000 cash/yr for the past 3 yrs. He says he has dedicated 3yrs of his life to working so he can set himself up for life. He worked as a health care support worker, taking care of the disabled and aged ppl, a job many people will consider dirty. His plan includes buying affordable rental real estate that can generate passive income. And retire at age 50. He is also good with stock trading and does that to generate some money on the side, something he can do anywhere in the world. He has plans to also go into politics as he feels he can impact his hometown.

Some of his concerns include:
1. Inclusion: Despite how well-spoken and intelligent he is, he never feels like he belongs here especially when he is being racially profiled.
2. Women are Powerful here. I have known this guy for a while and he is a decent Christian, but by marrying her he could lose everything he has worked for if things go south. The government does not want to know who is right or wrong oo, they would cut your assets and leave you to pay child support.
3. Loss of culture: He fears when he has kids, his children will lose a sense of their culture and tradition
4. Old age: Old age here can be scary too, especially when you grew up in Africa where we have a family-orientated family structure. When you are old here and can't support yourself. Families dump their aged parents in aged care facilities. Not the fault of the kids but it's how the system is run.

Anyway, I was wondering why don’t Nigerian’s dream the same dream. Some Nigerians turn out to be very successful abroad, but many are just living paycheck to paycheck and would be better off returning home where the money has much more value. 1USD = N505. Or is Nigeria so bad, that opportunities don’t lie in it? Remember the Indians, Chinese come here to take advantage.

I must give credit to Nigerians. We dey Hustle. God. Nigerians dey try.

It was when I met a 40yr old oyinbo that has retired that I started thinking deep that there is more to life than working working working.
Haven said all these, I know my country and the many issues we have. Security, healthcare, family or village people, etc. but Still, Are many Nigerians not better off going back home with all they have saved Abroad. Let's not forget, Banky W, Tinubu, Tiwa savage, Some Top Bank executives, and corporate ppl all returned home. Had they remained abroad, they could still have been just ok but maybe not as successful.
So this takes me back to the question

Nigerians who returned from Abroad, Any regret?

Moderator : Abeg front Page. Thank you
Bump.
An insightful thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by XAUBulls: 3:25pm On Nov 27, 2023
HEAVEN4444:
that portion of the lucky people is just too negligible to even consider lol. oh you are still there ? hehe. Yeah we are all built different as in me i dont see stability there. there all i see is prison. in chicago i still owe thousnds of dollars in parking tickets and in england one time i bought a car, the same day i bought the car i had not had time to buy road tax on the car, i parked it on the street hoping the next day i will go and do the road tax. oh boy when i wake up the car had been clamped. they left there number for me to call. i called they said i parked my car on the street without road tax. they said i have 2 days to pay it or they will come and tow the car and crush it in their depot if it is a car older than 10 years. to release the clamp from my car i paid 200 pounds ( 140,000 naira ).
whats my point ? i see prison there. everything is so regimented. there are no freedoms. BUT TO EACH HIS OWN. i feel more free in naija. i remember in chiccago i used to get 50 dollar tickets almost everyday. cameras everywhere. just doing a right turn when the red light is on while it is legal but you must first stop before doing the right turn. if you do not stop and you do the right turn ? thats 50 dollar tickets. so they have all kinds of tickets for minor technicalities like that. at any single month i am in traffic court fighting over 20 tickets. there is no freedom in these western countries. in naija i dont have to deal with these types of restrictions and prison like conditions cheesy cheesy
grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Lucas4903: 8:28pm On Jan 20
Home here I come. if they like kidnap all the families of the naysayers. I don't do am collect citizenship so it's time I headed home. Abroad is only designed for u to work, work and work. I have heard my fair share. It's time I headed home.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

India Conducts Mass Deportation Of Nigerians Without Giving Them A Reason / One Of The 17 Flyovers Constructed By Umahi In Ebonyi State (Photos) / Woman From Abeokuta Hit By A Car In Agege (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.