Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses (14877 Views)

The #nairalife Of A POS Agent Forced To Plot New Business Moves / The Nairalife Of A Family Man Who’s Content At ₦1.3m/month / The #nairalife Of A Banker Tempted By Her Family Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by Executer: 3:12pm On Aug 17, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
I swear....ain't gonna read this damnnn long story
Rubbish..... atleast this is someone that can be referred to as a role model,can't say the same about you tho

3 Likes

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by joinnow: 3:13pm On Aug 17, 2021
Esseite:
You sold a property of 350m and made 20m... that is the break point..
Exactly how one small lady sold property worth 400m. Day one people were laughing at her that who will buy a property worth that amount from you small lady but within three months she sold the property.
Made a commission of close to 40m. That is how she started her real estate company. The property location was magodo.

5 Likes

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by Danny5050: 3:15pm On Aug 17, 2021
[quote author=BigCabal post=104869059]Every week, Zikoko seeks to understand how people move the Naira in and out of their lives. Some stories will be struggle-ish, others will be bougie. All the time, it’ll be revealing.

This 23-year-old has an investment banking job and a couple of side hustles, but that’s not the most interesting thing about him. It’s how he makes much more money from his side businesses than he does at his 9-5, and how leveraging his privilege and connections got him there.

What’s your oldest memory of money?

I can’t think of a specific memory but growing up, my cousins and I danced for my uncles and aunts at weddings and other family events, and they sprayed us money. I liked balloons, and I understood that I needed money to buy balloons. I had to dance to get the money. It was that simple.

Haha. That makes sense. Can you tell me what growing up was like, financially?

My dad works in financial services and is a senior employee at a company he has worked at for decades. My mum did and still does a lot of business. I grew up comfortable although I didn’t understand how well the family was doing until I was older. A part of it was because I was too young to understand how money works. Also, I was exposed to a lot of kids who came from wealthier families, and that skewed my perception of money. At some point, I may have developed a bit of an inferiority complex.

For context: I went to a private secondary school and the kids there could spend $500 on an item when they go on vacation without blinking. There was no way my parents would sign off on such purchases.

However, once I started to get a wider perspective, I understood that my family was indeed doing well.

When did you come to this realisation?

That would be around 2014. I was 15 and about to leave Nigeria for uni. My dad had planned for me and my sister’s education and had a university fund for us. I had to go for my A-Levels first and I decided on a private college in Canada. The tuition was C$50k and my dad told me he couldn’t afford it at the time. Subsequently, I got a partial scholarship at the college and my dad still paid about C$30k. That was a lot of money, but he made it happen. Later that year, I moved to Canada.

Lit.

At first, I was living on a C$100 allowance every month, but my dad always ended up sending more money before the month ended. When he realised that it was more expensive sending smaller sums of money to me, he started sending C$2k at a time. Now, it wasn’t a monthly thing. The money was supposed to last me for a few months before I could request more. On average, C$2k lasted me for three to four months.

I finished my A-Levels in March 2016 and got into a university in the US to study Economics. I moved there in May 2016

How did it go in the US?

Nigeria was in a recession in 2016, so I knew that my dad must have been stressed having huge expenses in dollars. He was sending $200 every month, and I was determined to make do with it.

In my first year, I lived in school housing and was on a meal plan which had been paid for. I wasn’t saving money or working, so the $200 was everything I lived on. I finally picked up a job at a call centre on campus in my second year but I wasn’t completely committed to it. Thankfully, the minimum wage was $14 in the state I lived in. On average, I worked 20 hours in a month, which brought in an extra $200-$300. At that point, I’d say that at least half of my income went into feeding. I managed to save some $100 a month if I didn’t party a lot in the month, but those were far and between. I partied a lot when I was in uni.

Haha.

2018 was when I became intentional about making money.

How?

I saw what was happening in the financial market in Nigeria, and I was like “Wait, this could be a gold mine.” Here’s what happened: the CBN decided that they were going to start a “promo” and would be giving between 13% and 15% returns on short-term government securities. I thought that was a sweet deal and went in.

With ₦100k, I started buying and trading treasury bills. The returns weren’t a lot but I started to understand how money compounds over time. I did the math and the ₦100k would compound into millions of naira in 30 years, and I wouldn’t even have turned 50 years by that time.

However, in the short term. I realised that to scale, I needed to increase my capital. The way I saw it, it could happen in two ways: I could work more hours to earn more money or I could convince people to let me manage their money for them and charge them a small commission. I went with the second option.

Mad. Tell me how it went.

I started with my dad. I pitched the idea to him and managed to get ₦1m from him. I bought a few equities and invested most of the money in treasury bills, and it did very well. I made about ₦200k in fees I charged him.

I managed to convince a couple of other people in my family to help me invest for them and I got small sums of money here and there. I put whatever money I made from them into my portfolio and by the end of the year, I had about ₦500k in it.

That’s interesting.

I had been coming to Nigeria every summer since my first year in uni to intern at investment companies, so I was plugged into the climate. This came in handy in 2020 when COVID hit. Prices of assets all around the world dropped like crazy. I reacted quickly and sold as many treasury bills as I could and started putting money in the Nigerian stock market, which was also pretty risky at that point. But when I was returning to Nigeria in August 2020, my investment portfolio was worth about ₦2m and I had another ₦250k in cash.

You want to know why I returned to Nigeria, don’t you?

Now that you mention it, please.

I’d been thinking about it since my second year at uni. For the most part, I got my summer internships in Nigeria through my dad’s connection. My privilege became clearer and I thought it wouldn’t make sense not to take advantage of it.

Also, something happened when I was in the US that solidified this decision.

What was it?

I tried to get into an internship program at a big investment bank. During one of the interview stages, I met a girl I knew from school and her dad was one of the managing directors at the bank. We were in the interview room when one of the analysts came and was like “This is so and so daughter.” They took her from the interview room and gave her a tour of the facility. It was very clear that she was going to get the internship. I felt like I had this in Nigeria, so it made perfect sense to return and explore the opportunities I have here.

That makes sense.

I knew getting a job here wouldn’t be a problem. I had an understanding with one of the investment banks I had worked with to return to work for them when I graduated. I reached out to them, took a few tests, and that was sorted. In October 2020, I resumed work. My salary was ₦100k.

That didn’t make all the difference though. What I did between August and October did.

What did you do?

A couple of my old friends had returned to Nigeria before I did, so they had their feet on the ground already. When I got back, one of the first things I did was reconnect with them. I realised how much money they were spending when we went out.

We could go to the club and by the end of the night, they would have spent ₦1m on drinks. They split the bill but each person chipped in at least ₦150k. For the first few times we went out together, they didn’t ask me to chip in but I knew it was only a matter of time. The first time I dropped ₦50k, I knew my cash savings couldn’t possibly sustain that kind of lifestyle. I figured that they must be making a lot of money if they could afford to spend like that, which was interesting because they weren’t working 9-5 jobs — they had businesses.

What kind of businesses?

They did everything they thought could work. Eventually, I spoke to a couple of my friends and asked about businesses I could do with little capital. They gave me a couple of ideas but the most viable one was pushing large volumes of commodities. In my case, it was finding a rice supplier who needed to sell their trucks of rice and a buyer who was willing to buy.

A truck takes 600 bags of rice. Now, if the supplier sells a bag for ₦24500, I could add my markup, sell a bag for ₦25,500 and make a profit of ₦600k. The good part was that I didn’t need capital to start — I was just a middleman. The hard part was finding a buyer, but I committed to it.

The easiest way to find the right buyer was by leveraging my contacts. I asked everyone in my family and someone linked me to another person who knew the right person to call. Ultimately, it was about my connections. Between August and December 2020, I was able to sell three trucks of rice, and I made about ₦1.8m from these deals.

Sweet!

This was also the period my perspective started to shift away from my job. It would have taken me 18 months to make ₦1.8m at my day job. Naturally, I started looking out for more business opportunities. The next one happened in January 2021.

I’m listening.

In December 2020, I met someone looking to sell two plots of land in an upscale neighbourhood on Lagos Island valued at ₦350m. I told them that for a commission, I would ask around and see if I could find a buyer, and they agreed to it. I was pretty confident about it because a few of my friends’ families are into real estate development and are constantly on the lookout for properties. Within a week, we found a buyer. Less than a month later, the deal closed and they bought the land for about ₦340m. I got the biggest lumpsum amount ever in commissions.

How much?

₦20m. It was a complete dream. I mean, it was the kind of thing I envisioned would happen for me in Nigeria — being able to use my contacts for opportunities like that but I had no idea how it would materialise. Then this happened.

I was just looking at my phone over and over again, trying to take it all in. Once I got over the excitement, I knew I wanted to keep grinding. Now that I had some cash, I could afford to join a few of my friends in one of the businesses they were so big on — importing cars.

These moves. Inject it!

I wanted to see how it would work out, so I dropped ₦1m the first time when the total cost of bringing the car in was ₦4m. My cut on that was ₦100k when the car arrived and we found a buyer for it. Afterwards, I started increasing the amount of money I had in the business.

What types of cars were you bringing in?

At first, it was the old 2008/2009 Lexus RX and Toyota cars. We have a car dealer in the US who finds these cars at auctions and ships them to us. On average, it cost ₦3m or ₦4m to bring one of such cars in and we typically added a 30% markup, but it’s not set in stone.

Later, we noticed an uptick in demand for higher-end cars, so our focus shifted to the Highlanders, the newer Lexus RX, and Mercedes C-300 cars. We could make a profit of about ₦2m each on these cars. It’s only been a couple of months but we are growing and expanding the business.

I put ₦18m in the last batch of cars we imported from the US. They should arrive soon, and I expect to make about ₦4m in profit, which I think is very fair. Fingers crossed on their arrival.

Fingers crossed. I’m curious about what your earnings look like now.

Well, I still make ₦100k from my day job. But I make anything from ₦3m-₦4m every quarter from importing cars. Usually, I re-invest whatever I make back into the business and only take money out once every quarter.

What about your investment portfolios, how much are they worth now?

Most of my money is tied up in physical businesses, mostly car importation. The total value should be about ₦30m now. My other major investment is primarily in the Nigerian stock market and my brokerage account has about ₦10m in it. Because my portfolio is liquid and I can take money out any time, I don’t feel the need to save a lot of money in Naira. I have less than ₦500k in cash at the moment.

I’m very focused on opportunity cost and returns. If I think that I can make more money from my portfolio in the period it would take to ship and sell a car, I will pull money out of the business and put it into the portfolio.

Interesting. Let’s break down your monthly running costs, please.

How much do you think you should be earning now?

At least ₦600k at my 9-5. I’m underpaid at my day job, and that’s mostly because I haven’t done my NYSC yet. I love my job but I’m starting to value my time more than I value the work and the experience. The original plan was to work in the capital market for five years, then branch out on my own to start a business in fund management. Now, I’m not even interested in managing money for other people. I’m all about generating money from multiple businesses and pumping it into my investment portfolio. That’s always been the end game.

Nice. How have all your experiences shaped your perspective about money?

Working in the capital market where my job is to bring people who need money and the people who have it together has shown me that the best way to make money is to have money. It gets exponentially easier to grow wealth when you have some of it.

Also, the people around me have always been wealthy, and the more I see the way they spend and make money, the more confident I am to take risks.

Do you think there’s a part of your finances you could be better at?

Ah, yes. My investments are not as diversified as I’d like them to be. Most of my money is currently tied up in the car importation business. If something goes wrong — like if a ship sinks — it will wipe out most of my net worth.

I could be better with budgeting as well. Sometimes I need to make a purchase but can’t because I don’t have liquid cash around. For the most part, this wouldn’t happen if I’d budgeted better.

Speaking of purchases, is there anything you want right now but can’t afford?

It’s not a pressing need but I’d like a new car. I only started thinking about it when our focus shifted to higher-end cars. A Mercedes GLE-63 will be great but I need around ₦20m for it. As much as I want it, I can’t spend that much money on a car right now. My net worth has to be at least 10x what it is now before I consider it.

What about a purchase that significantly improved the quality of your life?

I paid for a one-year subscription to an online service that provides data in financial markets across Africa. It cost only $300, which was such a good deal and since I paid for it, it’s been way easier to do research. The quality of my life has improved because of it.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your financial happiness?

7. I’m not doing badly for a 23-year-old, and I acknowledge that I had a lot of help to get here. I know the role my privilege has played, and I’m proud of the ways I have leveraged it. My salary from my day job is only enough for my baseline expenses, and I don’t know where I’d be if I didn’t have people to help me get into these side businesses. I’m definitely in a better place than I was a year ago. However, there’s a lot of things I want but can’t afford yet but I’m taking it one day at a time.

Source: https://www.zikoko.com/money/naira-life/privileged-nairalife-of-the-investment-banker-with-multiple-side-businesses/

I'm proud of you ... I don't mind joining in you business bro. Get me involve and I'll be most grateful.

1 Like

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by tellsblinks(m): 3:20pm On Aug 17, 2021
Wow
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by ologuntheo(m): 3:48pm On Aug 17, 2021
Omo x1000000
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by criuze(m): 4:00pm On Aug 17, 2021
I tap your grace for a start in jesus name

Amen
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by Helpfromabove1(m): 4:21pm On Aug 17, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Why not read it , u will surely lean something
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by Ipisi(m): 4:56pm On Aug 17, 2021
BigCabal:
Every week, Zikoko seeks to understand how people move the Naira in and out of their lives. Some stories will be struggle-ish, others will be bougie. All the time, it’ll be revealing.

This 23-year-old has an investment banking job and a couple of side hustles, but that’s not the most interesting thing about him. It’s how he makes much more money from his side businesses than he does at his 9-5, and how leveraging his privilege and connections got him there.

I can’t think of a specific memory but growing up, my cousins and I danced for my uncles and aunts at weddings and other family events, and they sprayed us money. I liked balloons, and I understood that I needed money to buy balloons. I had to dance to get the money. It was that simple.

My dad works in financial services and is a senior employee at a company he has worked at for decades. My mum did and still does a lot of business. I grew up comfortable although I didn’t understand how well the family was doing until I was older. A part of it was because I was too young to understand how money works. Also, I was exposed to a lot of kids who came from wealthier families, and that skewed my perception of money. At some point, I may have developed a bit of an inferiority complex.

For context: I went to a private secondary school and the kids there could spend $500 on an item when they go on vacation without blinking. There was no way my parents would sign off on such purchases.

However, once I started to get a wider perspective, I understood that my family was indeed doing well.

That would be around 2014. I was 15 and about to leave Nigeria for uni. My dad had planned for me and my sister’s education and had a university fund for us. I had to go for my A-Levels first and I decided on a private college in Canada. The tuition was C$50k and my dad told me he couldn’t afford it at the time. Subsequently, I got a partial scholarship at the college and my dad still paid about C$30k. That was a lot of money, but he made it happen. Later that year, I moved to Canada.

Lit.

At first, I was living on a C$100 allowance every month, but my dad always ended up sending more money before the month ended. When he realised that it was more expensive sending smaller sums of money to me, he started sending C$2k at a time. Now, it wasn’t a monthly thing. The money was supposed to last me for a few months before I could request more. On average, C$2k lasted me for three to four months.

I finished my A-Levels in March 2016 and got into a university in the US to study Economics. I moved there in May 2016

How did it go in the US?

Nigeria was in a recession in 2016, so I knew that my dad must have been stressed having huge expenses in dollars. He was sending $200 every month, and I was determined to make do with it.

In my first year, I lived in school housing and was on a meal plan which had been paid for. I wasn’t saving money or working, so the $200 was everything I lived on. I finally picked up a job at a call centre on campus in my second year but I wasn’t completely committed to it. Thankfully, the minimum wage was $14 in the state I lived in. On average, I worked 20 hours in a month, which brought in an extra $200-$300. At that point, I’d say that at least half of my income went into feeding. I managed to save some $100 a month if I didn’t party a lot in the month, but those were far and between. I partied a lot when I was in uni.

Haha.

How?

I saw what was happening in the financial market in Nigeria, and I was like “Wait, this could be a gold mine.” Here’s what happened: the CBN decided that they were going to start a “promo” and would be giving between 13% and 15% returns on short-term government securities. I thought that was a sweet deal and went in.

With ₦100k, I started buying and trading treasury bills. The returns weren’t a lot but I started to understand how money compounds over time. I did the math and the ₦100k would compound into millions of naira in 30 years, and I wouldn’t even have turned 50 years by that time.

However, in the short term. I realised that to scale, I needed to increase my capital. The way I saw it, it could happen in two ways: I could work more hours to earn more money or I could convince people to let me manage their money for them and charge them a small commission. I went with the second option.

I started with my dad. I pitched the idea to him and managed to get ₦1m from him. I bought a few equities and invested most of the money in treasury bills, and it did very well. I made about ₦200k in fees I charged him.

I managed to convince a couple of other people in my family to help me invest for them and I got small sums of money here and there. I put whatever money I made from them into my portfolio and by the end of the year, I had about ₦500k in it.

That’s interesting.

I had been coming to Nigeria every summer since my first year in uni to intern at investment companies, so I was plugged into the climate. This came in handy in 2020 when COVID hit. Prices of assets all around the world dropped like crazy. I reacted quickly and sold as many treasury bills as I could and started putting money in the Nigerian stock market, which was also pretty risky at that point. But when I was returning to Nigeria in August 2020, my investment portfolio was worth about ₦2m and I had another ₦250k in cash.

I’d been thinking about it since my second year at uni. For the most part, I got my summer internships in Nigeria through my dad’s connection. My privilege became clearer and I thought it wouldn’t make sense not to take advantage of it.

What was it?

I tried to get into an internship program at a big investment bank. During one of the interview stages, I met a girl I knew from school and her dad was one of the managing directors at the bank. We were in the interview room when one of the analysts came and was like “This is so and so daughter.” They took her from the interview room and gave her a tour of the facility. It was very clear that she was going to get the internship. I felt like I had this in Nigeria, so it made perfect sense to return and explore the opportunities I have here.

That makes sense.

I knew getting a job here wouldn’t be a problem. I had an understanding with one of the investment banks I had worked with to return to work for them when I graduated. I reached out to them, took a few tests, and that was sorted. In October 2020, I resumed work. My salary was ₦100k.

That didn’t make all the difference though. What I did between August and October did.

What did you do?

A couple of my old friends had returned to Nigeria before I did, so they had their feet on the ground already. When I got back, one of the first things I did was reconnect with them. I realised how much money they were spending when we went out.

We could go to the club and by the end of the night, they would have spent ₦1m on drinks. They split the bill but each person chipped in at least ₦150k. For the first few times we went out together, they didn’t ask me to chip in but I knew it was only a matter of time. The first time I dropped ₦50k, I knew my cash savings couldn’t possibly sustain that kind of lifestyle. I figured that they must be making a lot of money if they could afford to spend like that, which was interesting because they weren’t working 9-5 jobs — they had businesses.

What kind of businesses?

They did everything they thought could work. Eventually, I spoke to a couple of my friends and asked about businesses I could do with little capital. They gave me a couple of ideas but the most viable one was pushing large volumes of commodities. In my case, it was finding a rice supplier who needed to sell their trucks of rice and a buyer who was willing to buy.

A truck takes 600 bags of rice. Now, if the supplier sells a bag for ₦24500, I could add my markup, sell a bag for ₦25,500 and make a profit of ₦600k. The good part was that I didn’t need capital to start — I was just a middleman. The hard part was finding a buyer, but I committed to it.

The easiest way to find the right buyer was by leveraging my contacts. I asked everyone in my family and someone linked me to another person who knew the right person to call. Ultimately, it was about my connections. Between August and December 2020, I was able to sell three trucks of rice, and I made about ₦1.8m from these deals.

Sweet!

This was also the period my perspective started to shift away from my job. It would have taken me 18 months to make ₦1.8m at my day job. Naturally, I started looking out for more business opportunities. The next one happened in January 2021.

I’m listening.

In December 2020, I met someone looking to sell two plots of land in an upscale neighbourhood on Lagos Island valued at ₦350m. I told them that for a commission, I would ask around and see if I could find a buyer, and they agreed to it. I was pretty confident about it because a few of my friends’ families are into real estate development and are constantly on the lookout for properties. Within a week, we found a buyer. Less than a month later, the deal closed and they bought the land for about ₦340m. I got the biggest lumpsum amount ever in commissions.

How much?

₦20m. It was a complete dream. I mean, it was the kind of thing I envisioned would happen for me in Nigeria — being able to use my contacts for opportunities like that but I had no idea how it would materialise. Then this happened.

I was just looking at my phone over and over again, trying to take it all in. Once I got over the excitement, I knew I wanted to keep grinding. Now that I had some cash, I could afford to join a few of my friends in one of the businesses they were so big on — importing cars.

These moves. Inject it!

I wanted to see how it would work out, so I dropped ₦1m the first time when the total cost of bringing the car in was ₦4m. My cut on that was ₦100k when the car arrived and we found a buyer for it. Afterwards, I started increasing the amount of money I had in the business.

At first, it was the old 2008/2009 Lexus RX and Toyota cars. We have a car dealer in the US who finds these cars at auctions and ships them to us. On average, it cost ₦3m or ₦4m to bring one of such cars in and we typically added a 30% markup, but it’s not set in stone.

Later, we noticed an uptick in demand for higher-end cars, so our focus shifted to the Highlanders, the newer Lexus RX, and Mercedes C-300 cars. We could make a profit of about ₦2m each on these cars. It’s only been a couple of months but we are growing and expanding the business.

I put ₦18m in the last batch of cars we imported from the US. They should arrive soon, and I expect to make about ₦4m in profit, which I think is very fair. Fingers crossed on their arrival.

Well, I still make ₦100k from my day job. But I make anything from ₦3m-₦4m every quarter from importing cars. Usually, I re-invest whatever I make back into the business and only take money out once every quarter.

Most of my money is tied up in physical businesses, mostly car importation. The total value should be about ₦30m now. My other major investment is primarily in the Nigerian stock market and my brokerage account has about ₦10m in it. Because my portfolio is liquid and I can take money out any time, I don’t feel the need to save a lot of money in Naira. I have less than ₦500k in cash at the moment.

I’m very focused on opportunity cost and returns. If I think that I can make more money from my portfolio in the period it would take to ship and sell a car, I will pull money out of the business and put it into the portfolio.

At least ₦600k at my 9-5. I’m underpaid at my day job, and that’s mostly because I haven’t done my NYSC yet. I love my job but I’m starting to value my time more than I value the work and the experience. The original plan was to work in the capital market for five years, then branch out on my own to start a business in fund management. Now, I’m not even interested in managing money for other people. I’m all about generating money from multiple businesses and pumping it into my investment portfolio. That’s always been the end game.

Working in the capital market where my job is to bring people who need money and the people who have it together has shown me that the best way to make money is to have money. It gets exponentially easier to grow wealth when you have some of it.

Also, the people around me have always been wealthy, and the more I see the way they spend and make money, the more confident I am to take risks.

Ah, yes. My investments are not as diversified as I’d like them to be. Most of my money is currently tied up in the car importation business. If something goes wrong — like if a ship sinks — it will wipe out most of my net worth.

I could be better with budgeting as well. Sometimes I need to make a purchase but can’t because I don’t have liquid cash around. For the most part, this wouldn’t happen if I’d budgeted better.

It’s not a pressing need but I’d like a new car. I only started thinking about it when our focus shifted to higher-end cars. A Mercedes GLE-63 will be great but I need around ₦20m for it. As much as I want it, I can’t spend that much money on a car right now. My net worth has to be at least 10x what it is now before I consider it.

I paid for a one-year subscription to an online service that provides data in financial markets across Africa. It cost only $300, which was such a good deal and since I paid for it, it’s been way easier to do research. The quality of my life has improved because of it.

7. I’m not doing badly for a 23-year-old, and I acknowledge that I had a lot of help to get here. I know the role my privilege has played, and I’m proud of the ways I have leveraged it. My salary from my day job is only enough for my baseline expenses, and I don’t know where I’d be if I didn’t have people to help me get into these side businesses. I’m definitely in a better place than I was a year ago. However, there’s a lot of things I want but can’t afford yet but I’m taking it one day at a time.

Source: https://www.zikoko.com/money/naira-life/privileged-nairalife-of-the-investment-banker-with-multiple-side-businesses/

tellsblinks:
Wow

Bro I love your moves. You're smart...

So I want to introduce you into the world of Cryptocurrency.. (I don't trade bitcoins or altcoins but I have other five ways I can make you earn in Cryptocurrency)

Try me and you'll never regret
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by ibechris(m): 5:13pm On Aug 17, 2021
My kind of person.
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by Ipisi(m): 5:25pm On Aug 17, 2021
BigCabal:
Every week, Zikoko seeks to understand how people move the Naira in and out of their lives. Some stories will be struggle-ish, others will be bougie. All the time, it’ll be revealing.

Lit.

How did it go in the US?

Haha.

How?

That’s interesting.

What was it?

That makes sense.

What did you do?

What kind of businesses?

Sweet!

I’m listening.

How much?

These moves. Inject it!

So I want to introduce you into the world of Cryptocurrency.. (I don't trade bitcoins or altcoins but I have other five ways I can make you earn in Cryptocurrency)

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 17, 2021
temmypotter:
23 year old with 50million naira in portfolio is on the right track and set for life.

I think every young man should try to hit that mark before 30, be worth at least 50million (100k USD). My next target Insha Allah

Move it higher to 500kusd
Let me coach u
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by TrillionBrains(m): 8:16pm On Aug 17, 2021
The exact kind of threads I signed up to read on NL�

BigCabal:

Lit.

How did it go in the US?

Haha.

How?

That’s interesting.

What was it?

That makes sense.

What did you do?

What kind of businesses?

Sweet!

I’m listening.

How much?

These moves. Inject it!

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by yellowpepper: 9:18pm On Aug 17, 2021
This is so insightful and a great effort.
I also have something for entrepreneurs. this could be your own opportunity as Number One Business Reality TV Show, THE NEXT TITAN kicks off registration for Auditions.

REGISTER NOW; https://thenexttitan.com/register/?utm_source=Nairaland&utm_medium=NA&utm_campaign=TNT+Season+8&utm_id=TNTS8

1 Like

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 17, 2021
BelieverDE:
Zikoko, thanks for your educative interviews you always have with amazing people.

Few things I learnt from this interview that brings money:
* Pushing of Commodities
* Equities, Treasury Bills, Treasury Notes and Treasury bonds
* Real Estate (either investment or commission for looking for a buyer of properties)
* Importation of cars (although risky if not insured)

Congrats to that 23 year old champ! smiley

Take anything treasury off this list. That time is long gone when we used to flip our small money at 18% upfront on 91-days tenures for that matter.

As the country worsened we began to get comfortable with managing erratic 9-11%

Right now, TBills are trading for less than 2%. It’s been more than 3 years

2 Likes

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by AlphaSoul: 11:09pm On Aug 17, 2021
BigCabal:

Lit.

How did it go in the US?

Haha.

How?

That’s interesting.

What was it?

That makes sense.

What did you do?

What kind of businesses?

Sweet!

I’m listening.

How much?

These moves. Inject it!

Awesome insights from a young
man who was born in 1998!

He needs not fear about losing
part of his networth in a possible
loss of imported high-end cars
(in a shipwreck). Get marine
insurance for protection. Period.

Valid points all through.
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by einsteine(m): 12:04am On Aug 18, 2021
AlphaSoul:

Awesome insights from a young
man who was born in 1998!

He needs not fear about losing
part of his networth in a possible
loss of imported high-end cars
(in a shipwreck). Get marine
insurance for protection. Period.

Valid points all through.

Insurance is not free. It's a cost. Part of the reason the margin on car importation is high is because many don't buy insurance. Another way to increase the margin is to cut corners on customs.

1 Like

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by AlphaSoul: 5:55am On Aug 18, 2021
BelieverDE:
Zikoko, thanks for your educative interviews you always have with amazing people.

Few things I learnt from this interview that brings money:
* Pushing of Commodities
* Equities, Treasury Bills, Treasury Notes and Treasury bonds
* Real Estate (either investment or commission for looking for a buyer of properties)
* Importation of cars (although risky if not insured)

Congrats to that 23 year old champ! smiley

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by newoffer: 8:41am On Aug 18, 2021
The content is very rich. It will change up cos low view
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by AlphaSoul: 2:13pm On Aug 18, 2021
einsteine:

Insurance is not free. It's a cost. Part of the reason the margin on car importation is high is because many don't buy insurance. Another way to increase the margin is to cut corners on customs.
You're right about insurance being a cost, and the underpayment of
Customs duties issue... But then the 23-year-old young man spoke about sourcing from auctions in the U.S. From as far back as the 1980s while reading The Economist mag and other business mags, I first became aware of those U.S. Government auctions of expensive items confiscated from drug dealers and more. A lower cost of procurement from those auctions makes sense for max profitability.

Reduction in the total cost of
procurement/production =
Increase in profit margin.

All the best.
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by CapitalBank: 10:16pm On Aug 19, 2021
dettolgel:
Na so one onion lady take start ooh.

She posted pictures of her various trip and the profits from her trades. Infact she was very popular then on NL ( I can't quite remember her monika).

Before you know it several people on NL started sending her millions to invest for them.

One morning like that the lady disappeared with their money uptill today.

No be today people begin run street for nairaland ooh. We know their antics, if the op is serious he can send it to his siblings and direct family members first. Once they all become bilionnaire genuine news media houses will pick the story and air it for us. You cant hide such success for long, the news will fine you.

I am just saying you people should be wise ooh.
lol...Nigerians like mixing experiences wrongly sha... I don't know why.

Bros, this is just a blog that someone copy and brought to nairaland to share.

I know the onion story sha
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by dettolgel: 4:49am On Aug 20, 2021
CapitalBank:
lol...Nigerians like mixing experiences wrongly sha... I don't know why.

Bros, this is just a blog that someone copy and brought to nairaland to share.

I know the onion story sha

Of course it is just a blog. Bros you need dey Street to understand format.

Soon greedy people will fish out the blog start asking for contact because they want the dude to invest for them.

Oga men dey Street dey run this package shine your eyes.
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by CapitalBank: 8:29am On Aug 20, 2021
dettolgel:

Of course it is just a blog. Bros you need dey Street to understand format.

Soon greedy people will fish out the blog start asking for contact because they want the dude to invest for them.

Oga men dey Street dey run this package shine your eyes.
I think you should visit Zikoko.com and see.
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by dettolgel: 8:37am On Aug 20, 2021
CapitalBank:
I think you should visit Zikoko.com and see.

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by MonogramMaster(m): 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2021
BigCabal:

Lit.

How did it go in the US?

Haha.

How?

That’s interesting.

What was it?

That makes sense.

What did you do?

What kind of businesses?

Sweet!

I’m listening.

How much?

These moves. Inject it!

Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by MonogramMaster(m): 4:54pm On Aug 21, 2021
BigCabal:

Lit.

How did it go in the US?

Haha.

How?

That’s interesting.

What was it?

That makes sense.

What did you do?

What kind of businesses?

Sweet!

I’m listening.

How much?

These moves. Inject it!

Nice read.
Re: The Privileged #nairalife Of An Investment Banker With Multiple Side Businesses by tellsblinks(m): 9:04am On Aug 24, 2021
Ipisi:

So I want to introduce you into the world of Cryptocurrency.. (I don't trade bitcoins or altcoins
but I have other five ways I can make you earn in Cryptocurrency)

I'm not interested thank you

(1) (2) (Reply)

N1m Monthly Income In Nigeria: Fact Or Fiction? / Nigerian Banks Salary Structure 2018 / Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 339
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.