Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! - Art, Graphics & Video (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! (22680 Views)

Italian Pavilion At Downtown Design Highlights The Latest In Design Trends / Learn Graphics Design, UI/UX Design, Web Design, Video Editing / Don't Waste Your Weekends,come For The Almost Free 3 Weekends Training In Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 8:36am On Oct 01, 2021
HiideaConsole:

Thank you for the books
I read steal like an artist, it's highly recommended for creatives
Yea. Welcome to our little Nairaland community.
How's it going guys? How far with our progress

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 8:46am On Oct 01, 2021
HiideaConsole:

Thank you for the books
I read steal like an artist, it's highly recommended for creatives
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by micorpy(m): 7:37pm On Oct 01, 2021
Is there any tutor here that can organise class (WhatsApp or Telegram) for us then proceed to internship?
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 3:00pm On Oct 02, 2021
micorpy:
Is there any tutor here that can organise class (WhatsApp or Telegram) for us then proceed to internship?

I wished I had time for that.... Well, that's why this thread, if you can, you'd do much of self learning

I can guide you through a roadmap, what you need to learn first

You should also go over to YouTube to learn the practical UI skills. Then read a lot of articles to understand the UX part of it
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 9:11am On Oct 03, 2021
Fine, good morning. The last time I talked about getting a laptop. I finally got one, now I have applied for Google UX certificate financial aid on Coursera, they said they will get back to me on 10th October, I pray it is approved. I have also gotten some YouTube tutorials on Figma, and Udemy courses.
Willmichael:

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by HiideaConsole(m): 12:27pm On Oct 03, 2021
Awesome!

Greater feats bro
Emeraldfynest:
Fine, good morning. The last time I talked about getting a laptop. I finally got one, now I have applied for Google UX certificate financial aid on Coursera, they said they will get back to me on 10th October, I pray it is approved. I have also gotten some YouTube tutorials on Figma, and Udemy courses.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2021
Thanks boss.
HiideaConsole:
Awesome!

Greater feats bro

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by micorpy(m): 6:32pm On Oct 03, 2021
Alright, let me go through the self learning process. Can you help with something like course outline of what to learn with FIGMA?

Secondly, guide me through the roadmap
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by micorpy(m): 6:34pm On Oct 03, 2021
Willmichael:

I wished I had time for that.... Well, that's why this thread, if you can, you'd do much of self learning

I can guide you through a roadmap, what you need to learn first

You should also go over to YouTube to learn the practical UI skills. Then read a lot of articles to understand the UX part of it

Alright, let me go through the self learning process. Can you help with something like course outline of what to learn with FIGMA?

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 3:06pm On Oct 04, 2021
micorpy:

Try this... https://link.medium.com/iC7l3vBRahb

An advice, learn UX first, before going into the UI side of things

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 3:19pm On Oct 04, 2021
Fire down Boss

Check the first page of this thread, I gave a tip on how to go past the financial aids stuff, through a scholarship by blacks in tech

Emeraldfynest:
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 3:37pm On Oct 04, 2021
Ok, will check it out, thanks.
Willmichael:
Fire down Boss

Check the first page of this thread, I gave a tip on how to go past the financial aids stuff, through a scholarship by blacks in tech

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2021
Another road map I posted earlier... Just go through it
cc. micorpy
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by micorpy(m): 12:47am On Oct 05, 2021
Alright, I will.

Thanks man.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Effulgent(m): 9:42am On Oct 05, 2021
id advice, for anyone just starting out to go into ux design.

please before you jump into figma, learn a lil bit of graphics design /brand identity design first. work with PS, AI... things will be much more easier for you

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 9:58am On Oct 06, 2021
I beg to differ...

You really don't need to learn anything about graphics design before you venture into UX. They are two different fields, and you should be able to tell the difference...

There are UX specific tools, AI and PS are just additions.

Having an Indepth understanding of them is good, but if you're doing UX, focus on improving your skills in UX.

So before you jump into figma, have a basic understanding of design, principles of design, colour, typography and all of that

Effulgent:
id advice, for anyone just starting out to go into ux design.

please before you jump into figma, learn a lil bit of graphics design /brand identity design first. work with PS, AI... things will be much more easier for you

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Effulgent(m): 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
Willmichael:
I beg to differ...

You really don't need to learn anything about graphics design before you venture into UX. They are two different fields, and you should be able to tell the difference...

There are UX specific tools, AI and PS are just additions.

Having an Indepth understanding of them is good, but if you're doing UX, focus on improving your skills in UX.

So before you jump into figma, have a basic understanding of design, principles of design, colour, typography and all of that

you don't need to beg to differ actually cos we are still saying same thing..

I know graphics design is different field but it will only make things easier , the reason is mainly because of all those design principles. take for an example, branding, how color and typo is very important when creating a brand and designing for a brand.

A two week crash course on graphics design/ branding can rectify this very well ,now I'm not saying they won't learn this in Ux design, but Ux design is a broad discipline, so any tutorials on Ux design might not necessarily teach these principles in depth looking at the fact that it is just like what small fraction of Ux but also important.
What I've seen mostly is majority just want to jump into figma straight, I don't know if you have noticed this though.

And of course you know that it's Ui/Ux .. so Ui too is important .

whatever rocks anybody's boat though .

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 11:50am On Oct 07, 2021
Effulgent:

you don't need to beg to differ actually cos we are still saying same thing..

I know graphics design is different field but it will only make things easier , the reason is mainly because of all those design principles. take for an example, branding, how color and typo is very important when creating a brand and designing for a brand.

A two week crash course on graphics design/ branding can rectify this very well ,now I'm not saying they won't learn this in Ux design, but Ux design is a broad discipline, so any tutorials on Ux design might not necessarily teach these principles in depth looking at the fact that it is just like what small fraction of Ux but also important.
What I've seen mostly is majority just want to jump into figma straight, I don't know if you have noticed this though.

And of course you know that it's Ui/Ux .. so Ui too is important .

whatever rocks anybody's boat though .

I understand you. And this is because I used to think this way too, till I got better advice.

UX Design deals with branding too, and it's something you can learn on the get-go. You'd surely learn the principles of design too, colour, typography, contrast, proximity and all of that. Trying to know everything might just be overwhelming.

UX is all about solving problems, and coming up with solutions, and not just Figma and tools. You need to know why you are doing UX first, not just because it's trendy.

Coming from a graphics design background is sure a very good leverage, cos of the transferable skills, but if you're just starting out, start learning about UX straight up, inside UX, the more you know, the more you'd streamline your interests into either UI, visual design, interaction, research, writing, etc...

I have seen good graphic designers do very poorly in UX, cos they are two different things.

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 11:51am On Oct 07, 2021
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Effulgent(m): 6:50pm On Oct 07, 2021
Willmichael:

I understand you. And this is because I used to think this way too, till I got better advice.

UX Design deals with branding too, and it's something you can learn on the get-go. You'd surely learn the principles of design too, colour, typography, contrast, proximity and all of that. Trying to know everything might just be overwhelming.

UX is all about solving problems, and coming up with solutions, and not just Figma and tools. You need to know why you are doing UX first, not just because it's trendy.

Coming from a graphics design background is sure a very good leverage, cos of the transferable skills, but if you're just starting out, start learning about UX straight up, inside UX, the more you know, the more you'd streamline your interests into either UI, visual design, interaction, research, writing, etc...

I have seen good graphic designers do very poorly in UX, cos they are two different things.

Of course, good graphics designers can do bad job. it's not a guarantee .. it's just an edge
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by hoover420: 3:01pm On Oct 09, 2021
I'm a newbie to UI/UX & I need someone to mentor me. I wish there was a group class either on WhatsApp or Telegram for a token
That's because some of us are slow learners so mentorship is gonna go a long way.
Also is there a way someone can get certified in this field without spending tooth & nail?
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by micorpy(m): 8:21pm On Oct 09, 2021
Pls do you know any online site where I can get free course on UI/UX design with certificate?
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by hakeemhakeem(m): 10:33pm On Oct 09, 2021
Willmichael:

Weldone bro and other contributors of this thread . Any clues about the installation of some of best app for ui/ux,if you can educate us here
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:08am On Oct 10, 2021
hakeemhakeem:

Weldone bro and other contributors of this thread . Any clues about the installation of some of best app for ui/ux,if you can educate us here

What do you mean by apps?

The design tools for this field are mostly Invision, Sketch, Framer, Adobe XD, Protopie... and Figma.

I recommend Figma, it's more popular
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:16am On Oct 10, 2021
micorpy:
Pls do you know any online site where I can get free course on UI/UX design with certificate?

Lol... You won't easily see a free course with a certificate on UI/UX

But in Nigeria, you shud be on the lookout for online trainings or bootcamps from people like
Zuri
Sidehustle
SkillNG, and several more like that

Check LinkedIn Learning too

And Google UX Course, it's about $39, but you could get it free, there are few tricks to it

Certificate na money, buh u cld learn a lot online for free, if you know how to use Google

Other recommended sites to check to read up uxcel.com, uxdesign.cc, medium, Interaction foundation, career foundry, etc...

There's a lot to know, start from somewhere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:35am On Oct 10, 2021
hoover420:
I'm a newbie to UI/UX & I need someone to mentor me. I wish there was a group class either on WhatsApp or Telegram for a token
That's because some of us are slow learners so mentorship is gonna go a long way.
Also is there a way someone can get certified in this field without spending tooth & nail?

There's a lot to gain from this thread yunno, that's why I created it.

...but I understand some people are more comfortable with in-person trainings, or mentor sessions, but that would mean buying the person's time and attention. That's okay too.

I can deal with slow learners btw

Getting certified fit de expensive o. There are Design schools, even in Naija. Stutern is ₦540k, Perxels too. Ọmọ

Buh, you can go round dis things, even at a slow pace

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 3:10am On Oct 10, 2021
You can apply for Google UX Certificate on Coursera, my financial aid just got approved. The course is so packed merely seeing the syllabus already. I believe I will learn a lot.
micorpy:

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 4:00am On Oct 10, 2021
[gaste author=Willmichael post=106599828]

...but I understand some people are more comfortable with in-person trainings, or mentor sessions, but that would mean buying the person's time and attention. That's okay too.

Getting certified fit de expensive o. There are Design schools, even in Naija. Stutern is ₦540k, Perxels too. Ọmọ

Buh, you can go round dis things, even at a slow pace [/quote]
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 4:03am On Oct 10, 2021
That's really expensive, this self-taught path may not be easy, but consistency matters too, and having mentors. The goal is just to be good at what you do, whether you attend a training school or not.
Willmichael:

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by hoover420: 8:22am On Oct 10, 2021
Willmichael:

Okay thanks, your responses & engagement is enough motivation.
I'll follow the thread keenly while I source for materials & YouTube videos to aid my learning

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by BeksT(f): 8:14pm On Oct 10, 2021
Willmichael:
I don't hope this doesn't become a forgotten thread.

If you have issues, questions, suggestions, whatever that will contribute to our design career, please, let's not hesitate to remember this thread.

For me, rn. I want to become perfect using autolayouts and the pen tool, abeg if you good, or you have helpful resources in this area, lemme know

Thank you very much for creating this thread,I have a question...is it possible to start the learning process without having a laptop? To just make do with my phone cry
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:01am On Oct 11, 2021
De nada

Yea, somehow. You could start ur learning process by deep diving into the world of UX first.

This is the time to read a lotta articles, books on UX, pick a design book, check dis thread for recommendations.

If you can really do this diligently, you'd be surprised at how ready your mind would be, when you start the main thing.

Google is your sure bet, then soak yourself in Medium, as a start.

But you will need a pc in the long run, for the UI aspects

BeksT:

Thank you very much for creating this thread,I have a question...is it possible to start the learning process without having a laptop? To just make do with my phone cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breath Taking Pictures Of Nature And Beautiful Places / Web Banner Design Contest (154x95 Pixel Format) / A Nairalander Shares His 3d Artworks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.