Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! - Art, Graphics & Video (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! (22678 Views)

Italian Pavilion At Downtown Design Highlights The Latest In Design Trends / Learn Graphics Design, UI/UX Design, Web Design, Video Editing / Don't Waste Your Weekends,come For The Almost Free 3 Weekends Training In Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:03am On Oct 11, 2021
Yea, most design schools are expensive.

Emeraldfynest:
That's really expensive, this self-taught path may not be easy, but consistency matters too, and having mentors. The goal is just to be good at what you do, whether you attend a training school or not.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:05am On Oct 11, 2021
Congrats bruh

Happy for you �

Little tip, start applying for financial aid for the next course, while you start this one, so no momentum is lost

Emeraldfynest:
You can apply for Google UX Certificate on Coursera, my financial aid just got approved. The course is so packed merely seeing the syllabus already. I believe I will learn a lot.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:10am On Oct 11, 2021
Arya? Hilarious �

BeksT:

Thank you very much for creating this thread,I have a question...is it possible to start the learning process without having a laptop? To just make do with my phone cry
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 5:48am On Oct 11, 2021
Thank you. Yeah, I already applied for financial aid for all the other courses.
Willmichael:
Congrats bruh

Happy for you �

Little tip, start applying for financial aid for the next course, while you start this one, so no momentum is lost

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by BillionKnights: 9:29am On Oct 11, 2021
Willmichael:
Like I said yesterday...for you to be a very good and sound designer, you have to read...a lot.

I'd recommend reading

Steal like an Artist by Austin Kleon and

the Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman

I'm currently reading UX Fundamentals and Principles for Non-UX Professionals this month.

You can also suggest other good books in Design
Thanks so much for creating this thread..
I'm a UI/UX designer, still very young in the field... but I believe that this thread will be really helpful

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by BeksT(f): 5:31am On Oct 12, 2021
Willmichael:
De nada

Yea, somehow. You could start ur learning process by deep diving into the world of UX first.

This is the time to read a lotta articles, books on UX, pick a design book, check dis thread for recommendations.

If you can really do this diligently, you'd be surprised at how ready your mind would be, when you start the main thing.

Google is your sure bet, then soak yourself in Medium, as a start.

But you will need a pc in the long run, for the UI aspects

Oh!! Alright...I guess I have to start by reading then,thank you
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by BeksT(f): 5:32am On Oct 12, 2021
Willmichael:
Arya? Hilarious �

grin grin cheesy grin leave my Arya o
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 10:52am On Oct 14, 2021
BeksT:

grin grin cheesy grin leave my Arya o

I likee
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 11:09am On Oct 14, 2021
Hello everyone, how una de?

I finally mustered the strength to do a mini-case study. It's my first!

It details my Product Design team worked through an ideation process in a Design Charrette

Not so good at this writing thing, but here goes...

https://link.medium.com/gVkoqyjIkkb

Kindly engage and give critic too
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 4:41pm On Oct 19, 2021
Hellooo

How una de?

Progress, challenges, drawbacks, frustrations, ideas, suggestions, let's make this our own community.

I hope we are picking up new stuff everyday sha. Personally, the road has been bumpy for me, data costs, light bills, sapa, etc. But we moving, I am learning.

Little progress is progress, it helps to share

Also, kindly be on the lookout, I'd be sharing a couple of survey questions later, abeg help me engage when it comes, mk I understand una painpoints.

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 2:13am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2021
Hello guys. How are we all holding up? How's our progress?

Exciting things we'll come our way soon.

Complexity is one of the great evils, good men seek to slay it whenever they can - Seun Osewa

I am a good man �

Kindly help with this short 60 seconds survey to help us know how you find information.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelj_TqaW3a18X93OtederKMeJIwzDOF3jHFUfhUAMspQ-Ziw/viewform?usp=sf_link
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Goldenfinger: 5:22am On Oct 29, 2021
Guys is this normal.... I realized I'm more faster and better when designing with my phone than a pc.. well I just started learning corel draw,my uncle saw my designs on phone and said I should learn graphics full time, so he linked me up with his friend that owns a printing press,I started two weeks ago.. though I have gotten some knowledge on corel draw but I waste alot of time trying to design with it but with my phone 20min is too much.. please what should I do
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 2:10am On Oct 31, 2021
Hello ��

Jump on http://www.uxcel.com for quick short, interactive, and fun UX lessons.

Ask questions when it gets confusing.

Share your wins with us biko.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 2:14am On Oct 31, 2021
Hmmm... Our graphic design bosses might have a better answer for you.

But I think you are faster with your phone because you started learning with.

Is your phone a tab?

If its not, pc would give you higher levels of tools that phone won't give you.

For instance, you can't easily design UI on phone, it would be difficult.

Same with you, you might be able to do basic graphics, but it might be difficult to do high level graphics with your phone... I guess

Goldenfinger:
Guys is this normal.... I realized I'm more faster and better when designing with my phone than a pc.. well I just started learning corel draw,my uncle saw my designs on phone and said I should learn graphics full time, so he linked me up with his friend that owns a printing press,I started two weeks ago.. though I have gotten some knowledge on corel draw but I waste alot of time trying to design with it but with my phone 20min is too much.. please what should I do
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 9:32am On Nov 04, 2021
Anyone here have resources on design systems?
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Elrad: 10:18am On Nov 04, 2021
Hello everyone!
Please how can I present my designs in this format. I'm stuck on this!

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 10:42am On Nov 04, 2021
Hmm

Elrad, I wish I can use a voice note to explain to you.

What you do is, create two frames just like you see in the mockup, and how you want it to look

Then duplicate ur original design and fit the part you want to be shown in the mockup. If you use figma, you can easily rearrange the frames in the layers section by the left, to make sure your duplicated design is inside the parent mockup for the frame u wanna do

I know I didn't explain so well, hmph
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Elrad: 11:23am On Nov 04, 2021
Willmichael:
Hmm

Elrad, I wish I can use a voice note to explain to you.

What you do is, create two frames just like you see in the mockup, and how you want it to look

Then duplicate ur original design and fit the part you want to be shown in the mockup. If you use figma, you can easily rearrange the frames in the layers section by the left, to make sure your duplicated design is inside the parent mockup for the frame u wanna do

I know I didn't explain so well, hmph
I use adobe xd tho! But i think I understand what you mean, I'll use photoshop instead to create the mockup.
Thank you for your help

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Eniwealth23: 2:01pm On Nov 04, 2021
Elrad:
I use adobe xd tho! But i think I understand what you mean, I'll use photoshop instead to create the mockup.
Thank you for your help
Nice one guys...I've been following this thread for a long time. Though self-taught but I took my time to dive into it and to God be the glory I have never for once had regrets.

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 6:44pm On Nov 04, 2021
Eniwealth23:
Nice one guys...I've been following this thread for a long time. Though self-taught but I took my time to dive into it and to God be the glory I have never for once had regrets.

That's great, really happy to hear this
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 6:48pm On Nov 04, 2021
If you're a UX Writer, or Copywriter, kindly indicate
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Elrad: 10:37pm On Nov 04, 2021
Eniwealth23:
Thank you, I just started last week and self-taught also! I've been procrastinating but I'm ready to give it my all now.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Fratello(m): 3:00pm On Nov 08, 2021
Hey guys, I started a UI/UX foundation training with SideHustle, 2 weeks in now.

Please I need some advice and guide? Books, links, community to join.. Basically how to learn better using figma tools and my mind.

If you got any group with bright minds, abeg add me o
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 9:11am On Nov 09, 2021
Do a quick scan from the beginning of this thread, and there you shall find all you need.

A quick tip, grasp the full basics of UX design first, before bumping into UI. It would make your UI learning faster. If you focus on UI before UX, some things might frustrate you, maybe not now, but in the long run.

...not a design advice

Fratello:
Hey guys, I started a UI/UX foundation training with SideHustle, 2 weeks in now.

Please I need some advice and guide? Books, links, community to join.. Basically how to learn better using figma tools and my mind.

If you got any group with bright minds, abeg add me o

2 Likes

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by TechSkill: 10:13am On Nov 09, 2021
Wow, I was just coming here to create a center point for all things UI/UX because I realized it didn't exist and BOOM... you have it

I am a newbie to this and I have not started yet. I am putting my hands into graphics design for now because I am of the opinion that one needs graphics design knowledge to succeed in UI/UX.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Willmichael(m): 1:50pm On Nov 09, 2021
While there's some iota of truth, your opinions might be misguided. If you want to do UI/UX or product design, you don't need to go the graphic design route. We talked about this stuff earlier in this thread sef.

I could tell you tons of reasons why you don't need to, but mehn, I de work. Just check online.

I was in your shoes earlier in March when I started, but you absolutely do not need to have any knowledge of graphic design to be a UI or UX designer.

If you can solve problems, that's all you need. Just solving problems, really, solving problem visually, through a better experience, through writing, through images, through illustrations.... ati be be lo

TechSkill:
Wow, I was just coming here to create a center point for all things UI/UX because I realized it didn't exist and BOOM... you have it

I am a newbie to this and I have not started yet. I am putting my hands into graphics design for now because I am of the opinion that one needs graphics design knowledge to succeed in UI/UX.

1 Like

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by TechSkill: 3:29pm On Nov 09, 2021
Willmichael:
While there's some iota of truth, your opinions might be misguided. If you want to do UI/UX or product design, you don't need to go the graphic design route. We talked about this stuff earlier in this thread sef.

I could tell you tons of reasons why you don't need to, but mehn, I de work. Just check online.

I was in your shoes earlier in March when I started, but you absolutely do not need to have any knowledge of graphic design to be a UI or UX designer.

If you can solve problems, that's all you need. Just solving problems, really, solving problem visually, through a better experience, through writing, through images, through illustrations.... ati be be lo

Ah, thanks... That means I will jump on UX right away. Thanks. I love the feel and experience of website pages and I have played around building sites with drag and drop for years.

Is it Adobe XD you are using for your UI/UX? or what would you recommend? Please let me know and I will download it at night today.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 5:28pm On Nov 09, 2021
Impressive to hear you started in March bro, I dey feel your diary grin grin. Are you getting the jobs from Upwork?
Willmichael:

Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Emeraldfynest(m): 5:38pm On Nov 09, 2021
I'm really up for this self learning but mehn, data is a big challenge. I finished my Course 2 of the Google UX Course, pending the rest till after exams.
Re: Tips and Tricks in Design. UI/UX Designers, Gather Here!!! by Eniwealth23: 5:53am On Nov 10, 2021
TechSkill:
Ah, thanks... That means I will jump on UX right away. Thanks. I love the feel and experience of website pages and I have played around building sites with drag and drop for years.

Is it Adobe XD you are using for your UI/UX? or what would you recommend? Please let me know and I will download it at night today.

Forget about the tools for now. They both have their separate tools and yes Xd is one when designing user interface. Go online, source for materials and read extensively on UX first. Consider it the core because personally I think there's where the hard work lies. There are information on this thread that can really be of help in your journey.

Goodluck!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breath Taking Pictures Of Nature And Beautiful Places / Web Banner Design Contest (154x95 Pixel Format) / A Nairalander Shares His 3d Artworks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.