Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" (37869 Views)

Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery / FG Moves To Digitise FX Transactions To Punish Naira Speculators / Risevest’s CEO, Eke Urum, Found Guilty Of Sexual Impropriety And Abuse Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by mapet: 12:32pm On Aug 18, 2021
shadeyinka2:
Why?
They are startup companies and not BANKS!
Investigation can be done without freezing their account.

If you check carefully, all the hullaballoos is simply because the young guys refuse to service them at CBN!

Some of you are just as naive as you come.

In the motion ex parte marked FCH/ABJ/CS/822/2021 and filed on August 4, CBN through its counsel Michael Kaase Aondoakaa, submitted that “the investigation being carried out concerns what has been discovered to be serious infractions by the defendants/respondents in connection with some foreign exchange transactions, and non-documentation by the defendants/respondents in violation of the extant laws and regulations, particularly the Foreign Exchange (Monitoring and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act and the Central Bank of Nigeria foreign exchange manual.”

“That more specifically, there is a grave allegation that the defendants/respondents are engaged in illegal foreign exchange transactions, accessing/procuring of foreign exchange via their banks from the Nigerian foreign exchange market via several bureaux de change, international money transfer operators and have transferred cash deposit of more than S10,000.00 (Ten thousand dollars) to various accounts overseas contrary to provisions of extant laws and regulations and also traded in foreign securities and cryptocurrencies in contravention to CBN Circular referenced TED/FEM/FPC/GEN/01/012 and BSD/DIR/PUB/LAB/014/001 dated February 5, 2021, and July 01, 2015
Who does business in any place without learning about the regulations and regulatory requirements?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by mapet: 12:36pm On Aug 18, 2021
Ok12345:
Why are they frustrating the youth?

We are trying to beat against inflation by investing in dollars

1. When are the youths going to learn about the laws of the environment where they do business?
2. You can invest in dollar, but you cannot carry-out functions of banks making international transaction beyond a limit if you don't have license

1 Like

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 18, 2021
These so called 'laws' do not apply to everyone in the country. When people from a certain region are affected they are quick to enforce the laws, when others run foul, they look the other way. Laughable Republic of Nigeria
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Skyfly007: 12:42pm On Aug 18, 2021
motymop:

They have been proven guilty with lot of evidences that is why their account has been frozen
Learn how the law works bro!

They have been accused of an offense(illegal forex transactions).

Investigations have started..

Accounts have been frozen till investigations are COMPLETED..

It is after completion of investigations that the court will either find them guilty or innocent of the accusations!

Innocent until proven guilty.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by shadeyinka2: 1:02pm On Aug 18, 2021
mapet:

Who does business in any place without learning about the regulations and regulatory requirements?
Using your own quote:
In the motion ex parte marked FCH/ABJ/CS/822/2021 and filed on August 4, CBN through its counsel Michael Kaase Aondoakaa, submitted that “the investigation being carried out concerns what has been discovered to be serious infractions by the defendants/respondents in connection with some foreign exchange transactions, and non-documentation by the defendants/respondents in violation of the extant laws and regulations, particularly the Foreign Exchange (Monitoring and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act and the Central Bank of Nigeria foreign exchange manual.”

“That more specifically, there is a grave allegation that the defendants/respondents are engaged in illegal foreign exchange transactions, accessing/procuring of foreign exchange via their banks from the Nigerian foreign exchange market via several bureaux de change, international money transfer operators and have transferred cash deposit of more than S10,000.00 (Ten thousand dollars) to various accounts overseas contrary to provisions of extant laws and regulations and also traded in foreign securities and cryptocurrencies in contravention to CBN Circular referenced TED/FEM/FPC/GEN/01/012 and BSD/DIR/PUB/LAB/014/001 dated February 5, 2021, and July 01, 2015
And their CBN regulated banks allowed the infraction!?

I haven't said that they didn't break any rules, that can be sorted out in the courts.
My issue is , if you check deeply, its because they refuse to settle some CBN staff...
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by shadeyinka2: 1:05pm On Aug 18, 2021
gwinaB:

Under cbn regulations, you can't buy Fx from CBN and used same to purchase shares outside the country, that's one one the infractions they are citing them for. And if you are not licensed to do fx biz, it's equally wrong to freely and openly indulge in it. The Nigerian financial sector is heavily regulated and you are choiceless in complying.
I agree with you.
The only problem is that knowing "our officials", their real offence may be that they didn't settle "the boys" at the CBN!
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by adagba001: 1:06pm On Aug 18, 2021
KC031:
Nawa ooo... living and staying legit in this country as a young guy is really challenging.

But why would you operate such a business without dye registration with the relevant bodies?

If this is true then na their fault. Nobody stopped them from doing business here. They didn't follow the laid down rules... break the rules and face the consequence.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by nisai: 1:07pm On Aug 18, 2021
mapet:

Thank u Jare. Some of us are just full of tribalistic sentiment without critical reasoning and it's harmful to this same country we accuse the leaders of its retrogression. We just want to criticize everything because we dislike a particular region or personality. Ilosiwaju Nigeria di owo olorun.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by mapet: 1:09pm On Aug 18, 2021
shadeyinka2:

Using your own quote:

And their CBN regulated banks allowed the infraction!?

I haven't said that they didn't break any rules, that can be sorted out in the courts.
My issue is , if you check deeply, its because they refuse to settle some CBN staff...

So You mean CBN took them to court because "they refused to settle some CCBN staff....."? Haba!....
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by motymop: 1:18pm On Aug 18, 2021
Skyfly007:
Learn how the law works bro!

They have been accused of an offense(illegal forex transactions).

Investigations have started..

Accounts have been frozen till investigations are COMPLETED..

It is after completion of investigations that the court will either find them guilty or innocent of the accusations!

Innocent until proven guilty.

They were not accused, they were investigated which lead to their account been froozen.

Maybe you need to learn how the law works
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Skyfly007: 1:21pm On Aug 18, 2021
motymop:

They were not accused, they were investigated which lead to their account been froozen.

Maybe you need to learn how the law works
I'm in the system bro with first hand info...

To investigate is to conduct an official enquiry..

To accuse is to say that someone is responsible for a crime or having done something wrong...

It does not mean the defendant is guilty!

The accounts were frozen so they won't be able to send money overseas pending the outcome of the investigations..

If you still don't understand, then there is nothing I can do at this moment smiley
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by motymop: 1:41pm On Aug 18, 2021
Skyfly007:
I'm in the system bro with first hand info...

To investigate is to conduct an official enquiry..

It does not mean the defendant is guilty!

The accounts were frozen so they won't be able to send money overseas pending the outcome of the investigations..

If you still don't understand, then there is nothing I can do at this moment smiley

They were not guilty yet their account were frozen.

Stop contradicting yourself.

The result of the investigation are out that is why their account were frozen through a court order
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Skyfly007: 1:44pm On Aug 18, 2021
motymop:

They were not guilty yet their account were frozen.

Stop contradicting yourself.

The result of the investigation are out that is why their account were frozen through a court order
Geez..Freezing of ones account does not connote guilt.. lol (understand this)

Investigations are not yet completed..

Read the article again
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by stevonics: 1:51pm On Aug 18, 2021
Thanks for making it clear here. I believe individuals can deal with foreign fintechs for foreign investments.
otomatic:
They are not ponzi schemes but people don't know that financial services is the most regulated industry. There are so many laws and regulators and I wonder if their backers are not aware of this fact.

Transferring 10K dollars with no suspicious transaction report rendered is against anti money laundering laws. Dealing in foreign securities is also against the laws.

In as much as I encourage the innovations, they should work within applicable laws and with relevant regulators.

As long as you are taking Deposits from the public, it's not only SEC you will deal with. There is CBN, NDIC, NFIU, law enforcement, etc.

I hope the issues are resolved speedily.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by KazikageSama: 2:04pm On Aug 18, 2021
gwinaB:

That's not true though.

Ok Sir. smiley
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by adubam(m): 2:24pm On Aug 18, 2021
Chaka as at my last longing are still receiving dollars.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Elsueno: 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2021
motymop:

Let's get things correct.

The price of US stock arent the same on all the trading app because they offer what is called zero commission trading which is a new concept for retail trading. , robinhood buys various shares in bulk for 1 dollars and then sell to retailers for 1.5, they indirectly make 0.5cents when you buy shares on their app, now Because of this new concept of zero commission, robinhood apps also make money from interest earned on your cash balances, margin and selling your order information to high-frequency traders.

Concerning Trove, chaka and bamboo, they do not have US license to sell shares, what they do is partner with drivewealth using their API to sell US shares to Nigerians, if your money disappears from these apps, drivewealth wont pay any body any cash, it is trove, chaka and bamboo that will be held responsible.

This is a waste of time, u don't know anything about these finetech...let's just stick to which law they broke instead
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by COMPAQ(m): 3:04pm On Aug 18, 2021
samsard:
They aren't ponzi schemes. CBN is just not happy that they're taking out scarce foreign currency, especially above stipulated limits and also trading crypto.

Yeah, that's the real issue!! And this in a way alludes to why CBN had to ban sale of forex to BDC's, cos all these Bamboo and co and the ones mopping up from BDC's and its just resulting in capital flight using officially sourced dollars.

If the Bamboo of this world were utilising private Non governmental, but legit, FX sources then maybe CBN wouldn't have an issue.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Raph3177(m): 3:43pm On Aug 18, 2021
FarahAideed:

I didn't say it's illegal but no exchange in America issues you a share cert for fractional shares ...I am sure I have spent more money on Robinhood than you have so shut up and learn
Guy how did u spend money on Robinhood?? The last time I check robinhood don’t take investors from Nigeria. How did u do it am curious? Pple like u is the reason I don’t bothere myself arguing or throwing tantrum on Nairaland anymore.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Mubarak05(m): 3:45pm On Aug 18, 2021
KazikageSama:
Bro pls about buying Fx from barter can you shed more light boss

CBN runs based on instructions from politicians and political office holders (believe it or not), it's hardly driven by data or fiscal or economic policies. Let me ask you a question, Barter by Flutter today still provide the same FX service on it's App and it's not limited by the CBN monthly $100 limit. You can buy forex there at card rate till now. Why do you think it's still operational? Why was it not sanctioned? Let's just say Agboola knows what he is doing.

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Raph3177(m): 3:52pm On Aug 18, 2021
Elsueno:

Oga high IQ, sometimes it's a good idea to research before u argue with veterans....just look at dat statement "Robinhood could clean u out" .

Bros, whole Robinhood woh? grin

And those finetech in Nigeria are not being investigated for fraud, but lack of forex license( says CBN). The $$ does not even go thier account but to drive wealth in the U.S. The finetech just offers platform for easy transactions grin
If I were u I will ignore the Aboki

1 Like

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Mubarak05(m): 3:56pm On Aug 18, 2021
KazikageSama:

CBN runs based on instructions from politicians and political office holders (believe it or not), it's hardly driven by data or fiscal or economic policies. Let me ask you a question, Barter by Flutter today still provide the same FX service on it's App and it's not limited by the CBN monthly $100 limit. You can buy forex there at card rate till now. Why do you think it's still operational? Why was it not sanctioned? Let's just say Agboola knows what he is doing.

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Mubarak05(m): 3:56pm On Aug 18, 2021
KazikageSama:

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by shadeyinka2: 4:07pm On Aug 18, 2021
mapet:

So You mean CBN took them to court because "they refused to settle some CCBN staff....."? Haba!....
Human beings (Nigerians) makeup CBN not buildings!
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by IGoComotYaTeeth: 4:48pm On Aug 18, 2021
IyaTola:
Most likely
If I remove ur teeth for u angry
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by posty56: 6:32pm On Aug 18, 2021
FarahAideed:

Buying stocks properly is a lot different from this fractional stock owning fraud these companies are perpetrating ....the American govt will never allow Americans to buy Nigerian fractional stock if the reverse is done .... Truth be told companies like trove , Chaka , Bamboo are just playing on the desperateness of Nigerians to hedge inflation and stealing from them by creating a fraudulent mirror exchange that just steals from you...The US stock exchange only recognizes full shares and not fractions and that's why these companies cannot provided you with any evidence that you own shares other than a computer screen showing you green and red arrows ....Don't let them play you
your stupidity is worse, people that have license both home and abroad you are irredeemable
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Skyfly007: 7:09pm On Aug 18, 2021
adubam:
Chaka as at my last longing are still receiving dollars.
Bamboo is still accepting withdrawal and deposit...Still working normally.
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by mapet: 7:09am On Aug 19, 2021
shadeyinka2:

Human beings (Nigerians) makeup CBN not buildings!
Lil Sis,

Sit this out....you're totally underwhelming here
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by shadeyinka2: 9:13am On Aug 19, 2021
mapet:

Lil Sis,

Sit this out....you're totally underwhelming here
Cheers bro!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Do I Improve Profits In My Beauty Salon? / I Have A Million Naira, What Profitable Business Can I Do / Obi Cubana, His Wife & Children In Adorable Christmas Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.