Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,477 members, 7,801,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion (37906 Views)

Data Protection Bureau Fines Soko Loans ₦‎50 Million For Data Breach / Soko Loan Has Finally Defamed Me (pictures) / Sokoloan Set To Shutdown, After Paying ₦10 Million NITDA Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by KazikageSama: 7:31am On Aug 18, 2021
The National Information Technology Development Agency has sanctioned Soko Lending Company Limited, an online lending platform, with a fine of N10m for privacy invasion.

This was contained in a press statement titled ‘NITDA sanctions Soko Loan for privacy invasion’ issued by NITDA’s spokesperson, Hadiza Umar, on Tuesday.

The statement said, “This action was taken after receiving series of complaints against the company for unauthorised disclosures, failure to protect customers’ personal data and defamation of character as well as carrying out the necessary due diligence as enshrined in the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation.”

It added, “One of such complaints filed by Bloomgate Solicitors on behalf of its client, the data subject, was received on Monday, 11th November 2019. NITDA, as part of its due diligence process commenced investigation over the alleged infractions of the provisions of the NDPR.

“According to one of the complainants, when he failed to meet up with his repayment obligations due to insufficient credit in his account on the date the direct debit was to take effect, the company unilaterally sent privacy invading messages to the complainant’s contacts.

“Investigation revealed that complainant’s contacts who were neither parties to the loan transaction nor consented to the processing of their data have confirmed the receipt of such messages.

“The agency made strident efforts to get Soko Loan to change the unethical practice but to no avail. After the agency’s investigation team secured a lien order on one of the company’s accounts by which it could come up with privacy enhancing solutions for its business model, Soko Loan decided to rebrand and direct its customers to pay into its other business accounts.

“The agency’s investigation further revealed that the company embeds trackers that share data with third parties inside its mobile application without providing users information about it or using the appropriate lawful basis.”

NITDA said it found Soko Loan to be in violation of the use of the non-conforming privacy notice, contrary to Article 2.5 and 3.1(7) of the NDPR.

For the alleged breaches privacy data, NITDA imposed a monetary sanction of N10m on Soko Loan.

It also directed that no further privacy invading messages be sent to any Nigerian until the company and its entities showed full compliance with the NDPR.

https://punchng.com/nitda-imposes-n10m-fine-on-firm-for-privacy-invasion/

76 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by dudusky007(m): 7:32am On Aug 18, 2021
Na so them send message give me say make I stay away from 1 mr john..... say na thief,him run with dia money and a criminal. I laf because I no say na dia way.. and to all those giving all this loan app ur bank personal details..your details is no longer personal. that's the reason you can receive unknown debit from unknown location

185 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Lagosfinder(m): 7:37am On Aug 18, 2021
Their debtors we store numbers of services they need

They would start bombing those services with messages

When this service never knew the debtor

Meanwhile if you need any type of apartment on the island
Wether to buy, rent or shortlet
Contact Us today for best deals

7 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Femmyfestus: 7:51am On Aug 18, 2021
The things i hear them do to people is unfair. They will text all your contact that you are a fraudster running away with company money if you default.
meanwhile they didn't force anyone to come take their loan.

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 18, 2021
I think before one access their loan he/she might have seen their terms and conditions which is defamation,but the oni gbese will ignore to read it because he/she is desperate to access the loan.

126 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Splendidsolo(m): 8:39am On Aug 18, 2021
Well Deserved.... useless app

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by MrWondah(m): 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2021
I'm not surprised

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by jimmyolasun: 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2021
H
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by thatsleepboy1: 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2021
This is very wrong from the agency. I don't and won't support evil.

They should be fined ₦10b for the damages they've done to people.

162 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:43pm On Aug 19, 2021
Good for them for their sometimes overzealousness and at the same time, our citizens should learn how to pay the debt they borrowed at due time.

Some borrow with the mind of never wanting to pay back their loan.
Criminal attitude, you see their comments online here like
"Me, I go just borrow and throw away the SIM CARD for life, they will never find me or locate me"
Just imagine that!
Even things as small as MTN #100 recharge card.
Sick attitude.

Be the CHANGE you wanna see.

65 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by revived: 12:43pm On Aug 19, 2021
Good
Very very good

These bast*rds go about defaming people because of useless amount they offer as loan.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Atikulated: 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
Good... Privacy invasion is bad and unlawful. One can only imagine what else they're doing with the million contacts in their DB. They should find more legal ways of going after their debtors instead.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Cerebellum: 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
Hehe

This country is always full of the bad, nonsense and rubbish

The best thing "KEEP OFF ONLINE LOANS"!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
Nonsense sapa loan shark apps
undecided
Spreading poverty

16 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Ekakamba: 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2021

E be like they deserved it, based on some of their customers' comments here. grin tongue

14 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by DenreleDave(m): 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
grin grin grin
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Simeonjoe1: 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
How are we stealing people's contact?
But the customers read the terms and conditions before applying for loans.

Nigerians are always used to getting things free, they still want to ransack this one. Pls could we get our money back if we don't follow this due process.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by wunmi590(m): 12:44pm On Aug 19, 2021

The joy on their debtors would know no bound now cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by OceanEye: 12:45pm On Aug 19, 2021
Just as expected
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 19, 2021
While I hate sokoloan for other reasons, the reason why they take such extreme measures is because they don't have a choice

1..many of their customers don't pay back at all or very late

2. Records and registrations in Nigeria are very very poor.

Having said that I agree their methods are too harsh. Having said that if you are planning to take a loan from one of those loan companies like sokoloan and paylater and branch, as the terms and conditions says make sure you have the means to pay as and at when due.

Them loan companies are evil but they unfortunately meet a need. Our banks won't give you a 5000naira loan for two weeks. Even if your salary is domiciled there ( except for a few)

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by cybertuns(m): 12:45pm On Aug 19, 2021
They will invade the defaulters contact list and say he ran away with company's money.

3 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by KingTom(m): 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
Joysticks:
I think before one access their loan he/she might have seen their terms and conditions which is defamation,but the oni gbese will ignore to read it because he/she is desperate to access the loan.
You're the only wise person on this thread. You took a loan and now you do not want to pay back and you expect them to clap for you? grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Immorttal: 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
I love this, these dudes has sent several texts on my phone probably from their defaulted debtors. I shocked shocked shocked shocked

5 Likes

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Virus99: 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
I'm not in support of what they're doing...but then...an average Nigerian is a god-damned criminal ! So bad at returning borrowed money.

They will borrowed 5k for 21 days... knowing fully well they have no means to pay back the money.

All in all, I blame the hardship in the land.
Everywhere just red embarassed

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by dgagar(m): 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
cy-invasion/[/quote]
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Chijeep(m): 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
K
Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Babaflenjor: 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2021
Useless set of loan app

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by Anthony0094(m): 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2021
Set of wicked people

1 Like

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by sisisioge: 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2021
Good call! Now that everyone is going into fintech biz without proper ethics, it is better an example is made of one of them.

I know Branch and fairmoney are very ethical....they wont send crazy messages to your people. Rather, they will select your important contact and elicit their help to get your repayment.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by tamdun: 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2021
my wife's phone was stolen and all her money withdrawn, now one migo is calling my sister that one Mrs(my wife) borrowed money from them, those mofo even use one of her contacts as guarantor,the fraudsters just picked one num from her contact list...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by dgagar(m): 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2021
Stupid People. Collect #5000 and repay #8000 in 7days.
Oleeeeeeee

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion by pek(m): 12:48pm On Aug 19, 2021
Lagosfinder:
Their debtors we store numbers of services they need

They would start bombing those services with messages

When this service never knew the debtor

If I told you I understand your write up, I would be lying

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? / How Do I Retrieve Money I Borrowed My Crush? / Crude Oil Price Rise After Russia Agrees To OPEC Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.