Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo - Politics (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (21425 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction / The Funny Thing About This Bonny/Opobo Argument / Bonny Island: Nigeria's Most Organised Island With Amazing Scenery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Ngorbungor(m): 6:50pm On Aug 24, 2021
caleboxylic:

You will develop heart attack because of Igbo.
Stop been intimidated with our success and gains.

We have just started,all you inconsequential minorities economy will be controlled by us and yorouba.
We have taken over the services and maintenance in oil and gas,. we have taken over the financial sectors and amongst others.

The only people we are in a healthy competition with is "yorouba" and not poor and wretched uneducated Ijaw people without history. Who is Ijaw and what is Ijaw? You are just a fisherman and ogogoro drinker . That's all.

You are even going far, in there own land we have taken over all the viable sectors of their economy, his here talking rubbish
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 6:53pm On Aug 24, 2021
stop typing jargons mr man...... you know nothing about wawa and ezza...... besides you know nothing about igbo at large.....
let me tell you, igbos were having language barrier at then, so they picked up a centre dialect from anambra.... the emergency emerged of that dialect made posed lots of problem as many people who were already used to their various languages cant communicate with the new centre language....so it was their offsprings that learnt and understand the centre till this present generation came.....
the great ancestors of today igbos learnt the centre dialect of the igbo...
liebermantic go asked your elders and stop disgracing yourself here in public.....
few of your people here know it....
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 7:04pm On Aug 24, 2021
caleboxylic:

You will develop heart attack because of Igbo.
Stop been intimidated with our success and gains.

We have just started,all you inconsequential minorities economy will be controlled by us and yorouba.
We have taken over the services and maintenance in oil and gas,. we have taken over the financial sectors and amongst others.

The only people we are in a healthy competition with is "yorouba" and not poor and wretched uneducated Ijaw people without history. Who is Ijaw and what is Ijaw? You are just a fisherman and ogogoro drinker . That's all.
the last time i checked, igbo still remain the most wretched tribe in nigeria......
thats was why igbos only found in the following activities
drug peddlin..
ritualism.
baby factory.
ashawo work.
fake products sellin.
human parts tradin..

people mistakenly used to have misconception
that igbos were successful and business people....though its because they didn't look critically into the igbos....
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Ngorbungor(m): 7:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
Captain8:
the last time i checked, igbo still remain the most wretched tribe in nigeria......
drug peddlin..
ritualism.
baby factory.
ashawo work.
fake products sellin.
human parts tradin..

that igbos were successful and business people....though its because they didn't look critically into the igbos....

Sorry cry cry bingo
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 7:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ngorbungor:

Why are you disgracing yourself to the whole world, you think you are making sense? Please can you tell us how many igbo clans are in Anambra and what makes Anambra the real Igbo?
mugu..stop asking nonsens questions...... even lamidi cownu said it in one of his broadcast that anambra is the home of igbo....
if you still in dark side of igbo please go enlighten yourself and come to light...
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 7:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ngorbungor:

Sorry cry cry bingo
mumu
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Ngorbungor(m): 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2021
Captain8:
mugu..stop asking nonsens questions...... even lamidi cownu said it in one of his broadcast that anambra is the home of igbo....
if you still in dark side of igbo please go enlighten yourself and come to light...

Otundo, see na only you Waka come for this matter... Hahahahahaha ogogoro tribes Wan turn up.

If you no dey shame, your fellow ogogoro kin's men are shaming for you. That's why you don't see them saying this rubbish.
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 8:04pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ngorbungor:

Otundo, see na only you Waka come for this matter... Hahahahahaha ogogoro tribes Wan turn up.

If you no dey shame, your fellow ogogoro kin's men are shaming for you. That's why you don't see them saying this rubbish.
am the cownu that said it?
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Ngorbungor(m): 8:08pm On Aug 24, 2021
Captain8:
am the cownu that said it?

Both of you are st.upid
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 8:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ngorbungor:

Both of you are st.upid
wicked people.. evil people.. so after you all pushed kanu into trouble, now you insulting him...
mumus
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by caleboxylic: 8:24pm On Aug 24, 2021
Captain8:
drug peddlin..
ritualism.
baby factory.
ashawo work.
fake products sellin.
human parts tradin..

Please, take panadol by Emzor. We control everything about you.
We just started the journey 50 years after the uncivil war and here we are. Just watch what becomes of Igbo economy in the next 20 years. For you Ijaw,you have not developed even ordinary bayelsa that you lay claim of.

The only people we learn from each other is yorouba and may be Fulani to an extent and not
your people that are uneducated and mentally poor.

1 Like

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Ngorbungor(m): 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2021
Captain8:
wicked people.. evil people.. so after you all pushed kanu into trouble, now you insulting him...
mumus

So you know the correct spelling of his name? You F.o.o.l, I don't know the person you mentioned earlier
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Eastlink(m): 8:48pm On Aug 24, 2021
It's obvious the Ijaws have been exposed as land grabbers and have been beaten by this thread. Like a crushed snake on a thin breath they’ll want to kill the thread.

Please watch out for their pranks. Either with insults or by claiming Yoruba, Benin, Urhobo, Ibibio, Hausa or even Igbo to kill the thread.

This has been their pranks since when Igbos in nairaland began exposing their lies in Bonny/Opobo and other Niger-Deltan eastern communities. Watch out for Tonye’s many monikers and the “We South-South” or “We Niger-Delta”.

IPOB clowns without sense will definitely fall into their pranks and start fighting Yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by caleboxylic: 9:02pm On Aug 24, 2021
Eastlink:
It's obvious the Ijaws have been exposed as land grabbers and have been beaten by this thread. Like a crushed snake on a thin breath they’ll want to kill the thread.

Please watch out for their pranks. Either with insults or by claiming Yoruba, Benin, Urhobo, Ibibio, Hausa or even Igbo to kill the thread.

This has been their pranks since when Igbos in nairaland began exposing their lies in Bonny/Opobo and other Niger-Deltan eastern communities. Watch out for Tonye’s many monikers and the “We South-South” or “We Niger-Delta”.

IPOB clowns without sense will definitely fall into their pranks and start fighting Yoruba.

The land grabbers have been beaten blue and black here. They have been looking for how to isolate the Igbo clans/group in south south from their brothers in south east to pave way for their expansionist agenda but thank God the Igbo nation realized on time.
What is left is for us to consolidate on this discovery and kill of their bad intentions completely.
We need to start annual festivals involving Igbo clans in south south and south east.

3 Likes

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 9:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ngorbungor:

So you know the correct spelling of his name? You F.o.o.l, I don't know the person you mentioned earlier
you are a big fool oo....
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Idiko1: 9:38pm On Aug 24, 2021
Captain8:
small boy oni of ife that has not even spend up to 70years on earth have to tell your existence...isn't that prove lots that the igbo race has not even spend up to 300 hundred years on earth?

small boy ife cannot testified to Ijaw existence as it is way to higher to his comprehension.... Thats it is Oduduwa that know Ijaw existences.... Uzo.... Ijaws are even brothers to Yoruba in ancient

I have always thought you are Ijaw who is ill-educated. The so-called western Ijaw in Nigeria left much to desired in the area of human intellect. Besides the act of turncoat and help from goofy Gowon, the western Ijaw peeps were backbenchers.

1 Like

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Eastlink(m): 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2021
Now if we check Bonny oral history as told by themselves. This they also told the British. They left Ndoki through the Imo river to their present location in Bonny. Infact when they got there, they named the vast Island Okoloma. Okoloma is one of the villages in Ndoki. This tells you that the Bonny ancestors gave Bonny her name after their homeland in Ndoki. Okoloma might also mean several things in Ndoki.

Interestingly, Okoloma is the native name for Bonny just like Eko is to Lagos. And as those in Lagos, Bonny people still call their home Okoloma.

Consequently, the leader of the Ndoki people who led the party that founded this Island went by the name Okpara Ndoli. Okpara in Igbo means first son. Ndoli is his native Igbo name. So it meant he was the head of his clan. Again among those that joined him were Ndoki sons like Asimini, Opuamakuba and Alagbariya.

Opuamakuba = Opuama (Community cap) + Ka (Greater) + Uba (Wealth). So Opuamakuba in Ndoki means the Royal Cap of the community is greater than wealth.

Asimini = Azu + Mini meaning back of the water or the other side of the river in central Igbo. Azu is back in Igbo, like Azuka, Azubike and Azukiwe (Azikiwe). Asi is the variant in Ndoki.

Alagbariya is another name with Igbo meaning. Ala means land or earth. Alagbariya might mean Ala is stronger. Like Ahiriya a praise name to call something or somebody strong. It means one you cannot overwhelm or win in Ndoki, Bonny and Opobo.

So all the parties in the foundation etc are all Ndoki native names. All Bonny indigenes trace their ancestry to these men. These are the original houses in Bonny. However, a few house was created along the line to absord some hinterland Igbo slaves and also some Ijo migrants.

Asimini was the first true King of Bonny. He heralded Bonny greatness and till date his children have remained Kings. The house of Halliday and Pepple who ruled Bonny trace their ancestry to Asimini.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Eastlink(m): 9:59pm On Aug 24, 2021
I just thought it wise to share the above in this thread. I culled it out from another thread on King Jaja and after careful study got the meanings. What do you guys think?
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Idiko1: 11:50pm On Aug 24, 2021
Eastlink:
I just thought it wise to share the above in this thread. I culled it out from another thread on King Jaja and after careful study got the meanings. What do you guys think?

Bro I understood your plank. Most of the names Ijaw tend to proffer were heavily distorted by omission or addition. The jackasses did not want to include Okpara to Ndoli and tend to add "s" instead of "z" in Azumiri. The baggers have changed Amaikiri to Amachree. I guess the Ijaw had problem with Opuamakauba. Ijaw have droped names such as Ediabali or Otazi.

2 Likes

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Allen102: 3:13am On Aug 25, 2021
Liebermantic:

There are no Ijaws in Rivers State..Ijaws are only found in Bayelsa State
You can not tell me where i belong, that will never happen.

2 Likes

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Allen102: 3:24am On Aug 25, 2021
Sergio101:

If there should be ijaw in Rivers, then maybe 1/10 of the population. Reason.......... A due course has been taken on ijaws by the creation of Bayelsa.
Almost all the Riverine groups in Rivers state consider themselves ijaws that is 9/10.
They don't need to leave port harcourt and go to Bayelsa that is stupid because port harcourt is their ancestry lands.

1 Like

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Liebermantic: 3:28am On Aug 25, 2021
Allen102:
You can not tell me where i belong, that will never happen.
When Adaka (enwe) Boro wanted to declare his Ijaw republic,why did he run to Bayelsa?
Why didn't he include Bonny and Opobo in his phantom Ogogoro Republic?
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Liebermantic: 3:30am On Aug 25, 2021
Allen102:
Almost all the Riverine groups in Rivers state consider themselves ijaws that is 9/10.
They don't need to leave port harcourt and go to Bayelsa that is stupid because port harcourt is their ancestry lands.
For political expediency and benefits...Soon,the Ijaw false ancestry will manifest just s history is being dug up..
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Allen102: 3:32am On Aug 25, 2021
Liebermantic:

When Adaka (enwe) Boro wanted to declare his Ijaw republic,why did he run to Bayelsa?
Why didn't he include Bonny and Opobo in his phantom Ogogoro Republic?
Why didn't Ojukwu add Okrika people into his fraud republic? Like i said earlier, you igbo man can not me where i belong. That will never happen.
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Allen102: 3:35am On Aug 25, 2021
Liebermantic:

For political expediency and benefits...Soon,the Ijaw false ancestry will manifest just s history is being dug up..
You should be more worry about ikwerres who are denying being igbos to your face, and the other uplanders who are denying being igbo
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by IDENNAA(m): 3:38am On Aug 25, 2021
Allen102:

Every ideology build on falsehood will eventually collapse. Your biggest threat is the new emerging Igbo consciousness....We are finding our foot again! And you know what that means. Our Enuani brothers are back to the Igbo fold , Ukwuani is changing slowly and in the next 30yrs , no Igbo group would be left behind because we are coming strong.

As for Ijaw , well , can you face the current Igbo youths....and we aren't talking about blowing pipelines...lmao

2 Likes

Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Eastlink(m): 3:41am On Aug 25, 2021
Idiko1:

Bro I understood your plank. Most of the names Ijaw tend to proffer were heavily distorted by omission or addition. The jackasses did not want to include Okpara to Ndoli and tend to add "s" instead of "z" in Azumiri. The baggers have changed Amaikiri to Amachree. I guess the Ijaw had problem with Opuamakauba. Ijaw have droped names such as Ediabali or Otazi.
Lol, Dede this your slang is too much. cheesy But I concur Sir
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Allen102: 3:43am On Aug 25, 2021
IDENNAA:

Every ideology build on falsehood will eventually collapse. Your biggest threat is the new emerging Igbo consciousness....We are finding our foot again! And you know what that means. Our Enuani brothers are back to the Igbo fold , Ukwuani is changing slowly and in the next 30yrs , no Igbo group would be left behind because we are coming strong.

As for Ijaw , well , can you face the current Igbo youths....and we aren't talking about blowing pipelines...lmao
Okrika is an ijaws that's all that matters to me. No man, woman, boy or girl can tell me where my people belong not in this lifetime apart from that, i don't really give a fvck!
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 6:51am On Aug 25, 2021
Idiko1:

I have always thought you are Ijaw who is ill-educated. The so-called western Ijaw in Nigeria left much to desired in the area of human intellect. Besides the act of turncoat and help from goofy Gowon, the western Ijaw peeps were backbenchers.
guy..oni of ife great grand father might even be igbo eri, abi nri mate sef....

Ijaw is too old for oni to understand..... even Oduduwa know Uzo..... when Ijaw, Yoruba and Benin been running things together as 3brothers, igbo was never created....
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by ChinenyeN(m): 7:05am On Aug 25, 2021
Eastlink:
Opuamakuba = Opuama (Community cap) + Ka (Greater) + Uba (Wealth). So Opuamakuba in Ndoki means the Royal Cap of the community is greater than wealth.

Asimini = Azu + Mini meaning back of the water or the other side of the river in central Igbo. Azu is back in Igbo, like Azuka, Azubike and Azukiwe (Azikiwe). Asi is the variant in Ndoki.

Alagbariya is another name with Igbo meaning. Ala means land or earth. Alagbariya might mean Ala is stronger. Like Ahiriya a praise name to call something or somebody strong. It means one you cannot overwhelm or win in Ndoki, Bonny and Opobo

Oh my gods this is so painful to read. Please, Igbo people. It’s time to stop trying to translate names that we are unfamiliar with. Shooting blindly in the dark does not buttress any points we attempt to make. I’m sorry. I wanted to just read and carry on with my day, but there is no way I could have read this without adding a comment, because it’s just unbelievably painful.

However, the suspicion that Eastlink has is indeed reasonable and likely very correct. It’s just that what he’s saying here to support his suspicion is just highly questionable if not outright discardable.

Anyhow, using historical linguistics, we can see evidence that the name of at least the renowned founder of Bonny (Alagbariye) was likely “Ijaw-nized”. It shows a conjoining of Ijaw and Igbo constructs or a derivation of an Igbo construct into Ijaw. Let’s look at the name.

Let me see if I can make this quick without boring anyone. If you ask around in Ibani, no one seems to know the meaning of Alagbariye in Ijaw (or if they know, they aren’t saying). Using what we know about Ibani lect, it is difficult to decipher a meaning for Alagbariye in Ijaw. As a consequence, the name has been changed by some Ijaw nationalists recently to be Alagbarigha so that it can prove decipherable in Ibani-Ijaw lect. However, early European reports are clear on the transcriptions they gave and none match Alagbarigha. Even worse, when we consider that the Okoloma tradition also exists in Ngwa and Ndoki, and when we examine this Okoloma tradition, we find that the name for Alagbariye is closer to what Europeans wrote than it is to the Alagbarigha. Corroborating Bonny-Ijaw traditions with Ngwa and Ndoki traditions shows that in Ngwa and Ndoki traditions, Alagbariye is known as Agbayiegbe. It’s clear from simple examination that both names refer to a single person. It’s clear that Alagbarigha is also a re-authorization.

Now the difference between Alagbariye and Agbayiegbe is the expression “Ala”. We can determine what this refers to by corroborating the Ibani-Ijaw tradition with the Ngwa/Ndoki tradition. When we corroborate them, we see that Alagbariye is a known hunter. What is most interesting however is that in the Ibani-Ijaw tradition, Alagbariye is expressly thought of as a chief. This is slightly different from the Ngwa and Ndoki traditions. In the Ngwa/Ndoki traditions it is known that Agbayiegbe led the migration to Igoloma/Igolo-omirima (the local names in Ngwa/Ndoki area for Bonny) and became clan head. However, Ngwa and Ndoki traditions do not really emphasize Agbayiegbe as a chief. He is more so thought of as a hunter. This leaves us with only Ibani-Ijaw oral traditions that think of him expressly as a chief. Incidentally, chief in Ibani-Ijaw lect is “Ala”. And just like that, using historical linguistics, we have found our missing link. Between Agbayiegbe and Alagbariye, “Ala” is the only distinguishing difference suggesting that Ibani-Ijaw initially knew Alagbariye as “Ala Agbayiegbe” (i.e. Chief/Leader Agbayiegbe) as he is known as the founder and clan head during his time.

Historical linguistics seemingly suggests that Alagbariye’s name is of Igbo-speaking origin since we can decipher its meaning based on its tone. Both the “agbayi” and the “egbe” in Agbayiegbe are common expressions in modern Ngwa/Ndoki lects (agbayi - shoe, egbe - kite bird). This is in line with the oral tradition of him being a hunter. In the Ngwa/Ndoki region there are many proverbs that discuss killing, skinning and curing birds to produce leather for textiles, shoes being one of them. Shoes are made of ovo (a sort of dove-like bird) and egbe (the kite bird) among others. Using the above historical linguistics further suggests that Alagbariye’s name is of Igbo-speaking origin. Nothing similar is obtainable within the Ibani-Ijaw oral tradition, suggesting further that his name was derived into Alagbariye by Ibani-Ijaw who came in contact with them.

It is rather possible that we can do the same with Asimini and Opuamakuba, but unlike Alagbariye, not enough information exists to corroborate for Asimini and Opuamakuba. They only show up in Ibani-Ijaw oral traditions. There are no similar personalities to be found within the Ngwa/Ndoki traditions. Which is rather normal. After a migration or significant social/cultural/environmental phenomenon occurs, offshoot communities will encode specific details in their traditions that will either be small or nonexistent in the traditions of the parent community. We can be certain that this is what transpired, since Asimini and Opuamakuba are known in Ibani-Ijaw traditions as serving significant leadership roles during the formative period, but are not known in Ngwa/Ndoki as galvanizing the population and leading the migration. So we can see that different details can be encoded between sister communities. For instance, kingship became established in Asimini’s time and he became the first king of Okoloma in the real sense of the word. This would be relevant in Ibani-Ijaw social culture and as such encoded in their traditions, but not encoded in the Ngwa/Ndoki traditions. This makes it is difficult to utilize historical linguistics to decipher the names of Asimini and Opuamakuba, though we can likely make educated guesses based off tones, and what we know about Ngwa/Ndoki and Ibani-Ijaw cultures and lects. For instance, we can be certain that the “Opu” in Opuamakuba is likely derived from Ibani-Ijaw lect. Suggesting the name to have been “Opu Amakauba” (or something to that effect, similar to Alagbariye). However, since there are no similar personalities within Ngwa and Ndoki oral traditions to point to it is difficult, if not impossible to truly make an attempt. Any Igbo person attempting to translate or transcribe these names is simply shooting in the dark or grasping at straws.

Also, “asi” is not the Ndoki word for “azu”. I don’t know where you’re getting this from. Please, I encourage all Igbo people to stop nonsensically attempting to create meaning for words and names they are unfamiliar with. It’s painful to watch because it just comes off as a desperate attempt. We don’t need to purport falsehoods just to make a point. This is a highly debatable and hotly-debated topic. If you know you are not familiar enough with the oral traditions and lects in the region, then please don’t attempt to offer any transcriptions.
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by cheruv: 7:14am On Aug 25, 2021
Captain8:
[s]Ijaws migrated from nile valley because we are fishermen[/s]...... but where does igbos migrated from?...haiti, i think or from fake jew..
Iyere iteru shocked
grin grin grin grin grin
So amusing if you ask me cheesy
Ijo that came together with Ogoni from the Ghanian and Ivorian coasts is the one you are now claiming to come from the Nile
Soronụm chịa grin
Re: Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo by Captain8(m): 7:18am On Aug 25, 2021
cheruv:

Iyere iteru shocked
grin grin grin grin grin
So amusing if you ask me cheesy
Ijo that came together with Ogoni from the Ghanian and Ivorian coasts is the one you are now claiming to come from the Nile
Soronụm chịa grin
cheruv aka bkayy, whats up..?

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Inspects The Lagos Red Line Rail Project (Videos & Pics) / Fayemi: Buhari Should Campaign For His Candidate At Eagle's Square (Video) / DPR Seals NNPC, Forte Oil, 12 Other Petrol Stations-the Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.