Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

When Orudu-olokan Shut Down Business And Social Activities For Traditional Rites - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Orudu-olokan Shut Down Business And Social Activities For Traditional Rites (166 Views)

I Helped Him Prepare For Traditional Wedding – Peter Obi On Herbert Wigwe / Neoplan Ghana Announce Plans To Shut Down Business On January 31 / I Will Probe Fayose's Activities For The Past Four Years -- Fayemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Orudu-olokan Shut Down Business And Social Activities For Traditional Rites by tesimoor(f): 11:19am On Aug 20, 2021
By Theresa Moses

I woke up to a call on a Tuesday morning that schools, markets, businesses are shut down in observance of an age-long cultural festival, involving rituals. I became curious as to why a traditional event will cripple community activities and livelihood of people in this 21st century.

Against the forgoing backdrop, I began a journey to Orudu-Olokan village in Oshere, Matogun, Ifo Local Government Area of Ogun State for a first-hand information on why pupils can’t go to school and business not allowed to open for the sake of a ritual.

The road is an eyesore, indeed, Ogun State is known for its dilapidated, muddy and flooded roads. This is made worse by poor and inadequate drainage, which further worsens the dilemma of residents and motorists in Matogun and Lambe areas particularly during the rainy season, when the roads get submerged in flood-water, compelling residents to remove their foot-wears as they wade through the murky waters on the flooded roads. The health risk can only be imagined.

I got to Matogun and took a bike to Oshere. The smart motorbike operator dropped me way off my destination, perhaps for his own safety, and I had to walk the distance till I got to a local food canteen (Buka), where I engaged the woman in a chat about my visit. She told me “it’s not here but in Orudu.”

As she said I can’t trek to the place, she called the bike operator back (obviously, she knows him) and told him that he should come back and pick me. I asked her why I can’t go to the community; she said visitors, strangers and women are not allowed to enter the community till after 2:00 pm when they would have finished the ritual.

About hour later, the bike man returned and said I should have told him where I was headed. He asked the intention of my visit; I told him and he put a call through to someone who said we shouldn’t go there till after an hour. He left and left to continue his daily hustle, but promised to come take me there. So I waited and continued my chat with the food vendor to know more about the festival and its importance.

She said the Yoruba don’t joke with their culture and traditional practices I irrespective of religious affiliations: whether Christians, Muslims or pagans. She further said that they adhere to the warnings of the elders with regards to the practice of the tradition, and warned me not to engage on such a risky project as it’s better for men. I appreciated her hospitality and how she opened my eyes more to the way of life of the Orudu-Oshere community.

The bike man came as promised, and said we should go as he has spoken to the secretary to the Baale of the community. Navigating his way amid potholes and mud-littered decrepit road on the way to Oshere areas through Orodu, I got so scared of falling off the bike. As we passed through the deplorable, un-tarred roads, I observed that potholes caused by excavating of the roads had become the residue to rain drops, making the roads an eyesore and impassable for motorists.

I finally got to my destination, the inscription - Baale of Orodu Oyekan land, High Chief Alli Moruf Mofolorunsho Akanbi Abul-Wahad Oyekan – was boldly written on the wall of the house. The bike man went to speak to someone while I waited; after about 15 minutes, the man he was speaking with walked up to where I was sitting and introduced himself as Mr. Dapo. He asked of my identification card which I showed him and he said the Baale is so tired (I saw him sitting and sleeping on a chair under a canopy). He took me to the canopy where the Baale and his chiefs were seated, after the completion of the traditional rites.

Chief Odutan Ogunyemi spoke, since the Baale was sleeping and couldn’t attend to me. I asked the essence of the traditional rites and he said:
“The ritual brings many good things to the community. This community was predominantly farmers, if they plant crops if rain doesn’t fall the crops will be bad; but whenever the ritual is performed annually rain falls, which symbolises that the gods has answered prayer which you experience today. The rain brings forth good things, fruitfulness, productivity, etc.”

On why businesses, including schools, were shut down, Ogunyemi said: “We have a stream where people are fetching water; there is a portion of it that we practice our culture. We informed (the) Community Development Association (CDA) chairman that people should not come to the stream for some hours today, till we are done with the prayer. So when we are done people can continue their normal activities.”

After this, he refused to talk further as they were all tired from the preparation of the event and, besides, it’s not a one-day event; it’s a week-long ceremony. The Ishese festival and rest of the traditional rites would be done at the palace, which won’t affect businesses or movement of people or activities. I appreciated them for accepting to answer my questions and explaining the essence of the festival.

My concern now is: If you so much cherish your tradition/culture, why allow foreigners to come into your community, buy lands, build houses, businesses like stores, schools and deprive them of operation at their own expense on days you choose to observe your traditional rites?

I respect tradition a lot but using it an excuse to promote traditional fetish practices and disrupt economic and social activities in urban areas without government intervention is worrisome.

(1) (Reply)

The Activities Of The People Of A Country Determine The Speed Of Development. / Ember Months: Laswa Issues Safety Caution To Ferry Operators / Anambra 2021: Anambra Stands To Be Stronger With "Accord Party"- Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.