Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,779 members, 7,798,599 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 - TV/Movies (1290) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 (3488453 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Movie Are You Watching Now? / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1287) (1288) (1289) (1290) (1291) (1292) (1293) ... (2806) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by oyaskii(m): 11:10am On Jun 12, 2019
Blue3k:
True Detective. Its pretty good.
S1 and S3. S2 is forgettable.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by jelel6: 11:45am On Jun 12, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

If you still haven't gotten into it at this late stage, then The Expanse is not for you, and it's okay.

I agree with you in regards to Holden, he's acting is rather bland, but the trick is not to focus on him, rather, focus on other interesting characters around him... and the worldbuilding.

Yeah I figured. The expanse I probably won't ever dig it.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 12, 2019
I am trying to download movies from 9jarocks but it keeps directing me to google play. wat do I do?
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kanurii: 12:50pm On Jun 12, 2019
I have never experienced such anger towards a series of episodes as much as I have watching ‘When They See Us’ on Netflix

I cried watching that show

So heart breaking
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by janettee(f): 12:51pm On Jun 12, 2019
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by lovewins: 1:58pm On Jun 12, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Season 4 as far as I can tell has no pirated digital presence. You have to subscribe to Amazon Prime to watch it, or wait till it gets pirated like the rest. Gonna take a while though.

You can watch or download all seasons (including season 4) from wlext dot net
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by troubleseller: 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2019
Woah. Why does Chernobyl have such a high rating? I mean, attention to details is commendable, though they still messed some parts up for dramatic purposes I guess but why is it so highly rated?

5 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by troubleseller: 2:18pm On Jun 12, 2019
Big Little Lies
Ah. Meryl Streep. Mama de Mama.

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 12, 2019
Season 4

CC: Stegomiah
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 12, 2019
lovewins:

You can watch or download all seasons (including season 4) from wlext dot net

Good one.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by iyapont: 5:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
pls who is watching WARRIOR
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by introvertme: 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2019
troubleseller:
Woah. Why does Chernobyl have such a high rating? I mean, attention to details is commendable, though they still messed some parts up for dramatic purposes I guess but why is it so highly rated?

It's well acted with a mind blowing script.

I don't know why Nigerians have a problem with the show, someone I recommended the show to said it's for engineering and science students only.His relatives didn't understand shit and were managing to watch.

The show is in English undecided

4 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by funshyboi(m): 7:26pm On Jun 12, 2019
lycann:
Airtel daily play of 2gb for 5h
Pls what's the code
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by moufan: 7:27pm On Jun 12, 2019
watching designated survivor and warrior
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by troubleseller: 8:19pm On Jun 12, 2019
introvertme:

It's well acted with a mind blowing script.

I don't know why Nigerian's have a problem with the show, someone I recommended the show to said it's for engineering and science students only.His relatives didn't understand shit and were managing to watch.

The show is in English undecided
I don't usually factor scripts when it comes to stuff based on actual history because the story is already there to take from but is the acting that great? For something that happened, they could have at least gotten actors that could effect the right accents. If I'm not wrong, the actors should have been speaking with Russian accents pr something close to it but few minutes into the series and all I could hear were largely English accents. Not saying the show isn't great but, expectations and yes I do agree that it was a bit too scientific. Take for example where that guy was explaining fission to Stellan Skarsgard's character. Some science students might even have to re read about fission to remind them what it is.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by lycann(m): 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2019
funshyboi:
Pls what's the code
*141*504#
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by introvertme: 8:34pm On Jun 12, 2019
troubleseller:
I don't usually factor scripts when it comes to stuff based on actual history because the story is already there to take from but is the acting that great? For something that happened, they could have at least gotten actors that could effect the right accents. If I'm not wrong, the actors should have been speaking with Russian accents pr something close to it but few minutes into the series and all I could hear were largely English accents. Not saying the show isn't great but, expectations and yes I do agree that it was a bit too scientific. Take for example where that guy was explaining fission to Stellan Skarsgard's character. Some science students might even have to re read about fission to remind them what it is.

Not everyone likes reading subtitles, if its in english they can reach a wider audience. imagine reading all those fission stuff as he explained grin that's equivalent to fast forwarding.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by troubleseller: 8:45pm On Jun 12, 2019
introvertme:

Not everyone likes reading subtitles, if its in english they can reach a wider audience. imagine reading all those fission stuff as he explained grin that's equivalent to fast forwarding.
I am not talking about the language I am talking about the accent. I always knew if GoT was going to be adapted to a movie or series, the accents would have to be largely English but then Tyrion (Peter Dinklage), an American was cast but he pulled off the accent to a passable level even though an English person might recognise the accent was off. They could have told the cast to speak in the accent of the area. Hell, Stellan Skarsgard is Swedish.

2 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 12, 2019
Chernobyl is my best show of the year so far, followed closely by Doom Patrol and When They See Us. Three completely different tv shows, but poignant in their own different ways.

Someone is asking why HBO's Chernobyl doesn't have Russian accents?? In an English language miniseries made primarily for an English speaking audience, a bad Russian accent would sound a bit silly, don't you think? This link contains a more detailed explanation.

Chernobyl has become the highest rated IMDb tv series in recent weeks, even surpassing the likes of Breaking Bad and The Wire. The Russian public has also commended it for it's near historical accuracies, with Vladimir Medinsky, Russian culture minister, describing the miniseries as “Masterfully made” and “filmed with great respect for ordinary people”.

Chernobyl is the truth.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Brukx(m): 9:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
troubleseller:
Accents were ignored, so the actors won't be distracted from staying in character

3 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 12, 2019
NOS4A2

Have read the book. Here's to hoping this television adaptation will pass muster.

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by jubilantagida: 10:17pm On Jun 12, 2019
Please, who's currently watching "Deep state"? I'd like to know if it's worth it.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by troubleseller: 10:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Someone is asking why HBO's Chernobyl doesn't have Russian accents?? In an English language miniseries made primarily for an English speaking audience, a bad Russian accent would sound a bit silly, don't you think? This link contains a more detailed explanation.
Not an excuse. They could have gotten actors who could effect the accent to a level that is believable. Chaz can't say he couldn't find actors who could speak with the accent well enough. There is Viggo Mortensen doing a Russian accent in Eastern Promises and Meryl Streep doing a Polish accent in Sophie's Choice. It was just laziness or something else.

4 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by troubleseller: 10:31pm On Jun 12, 2019
Brukx:
Accents were ignored, so the actors won't be distracted from staying in character
LOL. Are you serious?

3 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by laydoh(m): 10:33pm On Jun 12, 2019
As if she got to the airstrip on her own!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by CaptainMitch: 10:57pm On Jun 12, 2019
SEAL not bad.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 12, 2019
troubleseller:
Not an excuse. They could have gotten actors who could effect the accent to a level that is believable. Chaz can't say he couldn't find actors who could speak with the accent well enough. There is Viggo Mortensen doing a Russian accent in Eastern Promises and Meryl Streep doing a Polish accent in Sophie's Choice. It was just laziness or something else.

- First of all, Viggo did a bad russian accent in Eastern promises.
- 2ndly, recruiting a Hollywood superstar with a talent for accents for a television role will cost a pretty penny.
- 3rd, affecting a passable russian accent takes a lot of work, and could detract the actors from their roles.
- 4th, HBO fast tracked Chernobyl's production in order to meet schedule, thus, didn't have the luxury to scour the globe for talented English speaking, Caucasian actors that can do passable Russian accent.
- Did I mention the miniseries was produced under a fix budget?
- Finally, it's an english language miniseries made for english speaking audience. A bad russian accent would irk the audience.

4 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Olamyyde(m): 11:04pm On Jun 12, 2019
TigerChen:
Unpopular Opinion ,Don't know how Chernobyl got it ratings, but that series sucks, 2/10.
shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
troubleseller:
LOL. Are you serious?

He's right. Unfamiliar accents are very difficult to master, and would require most of your concentration to keep from slipping.

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by troubleseller: 6:49am On Jun 13, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

- First of all, Viggo did a bad russian accent in Eastern promises.
- 2ndly, recruiting a Hollywood superstar with a talent for accents for a television role will cost a pretty penny.
- 3rd, affecting a passable russian accent takes a lot of work, and could detract the actors from their roles.
- 4th, HBO fast tracked Chernobyl's production in order to meet schedule, thus, didn't have the luxury to scour the globe for talented English speaking, Caucasian actors that can do passable Russian accent.
- Did I mention the miniseries was produced under a fix budget?
- Finally, it's an english language miniseries made for english speaking audience. A bad russian accent would irk the audience.

1. Says who? An accent expert? It didn't need to be perfect just passable. Viggo's accent was good enough. I am not an expert on Russian accents but it was definitely better than John Malkovich's in Rounders or Schwarznegger's in a film I can't remember the name now.
2. There are other actors not only in Hollywood. They didn't look hard enough and I have not even talked about resemblance to the real life people. This is based on actual events afterall.
3. It is their job as actors to fake accents. Simple. Get actors who could do the accent even if it means casting relatively unknown actors. GoT did it and look how far it got.
4. Now that should be the excuse not that the accent is hard to do.

I like the series and I didn't even mind the accent problem while watching it was only when I started the first episode I was expecting an accent close to the one of that time. Maybe they did it to appease English people for the GoT final season mess.

3 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 8:09am On Jun 13, 2019
troubleseller:

1. Says who? An accent expert? It didn't need to be perfect just passable. Viggo's accent was good enough. I am not an expert on Russian accents but it was definitely better than John Malkovich's in Rounders or Schwarznegger's in a film I can't remember the name now.
2. There are other actors not only in Hollywood. They didn't look hard enough and I have not even talked about resemblance to the real life people. This is based on actual events afterall.
3. It is their job as actors to fake accents. Simple. Get actors who could do the accent even if it means casting relatively unknown actors. GoT did it and look how far it got.
4. Now that should be the excuse not that the accent is hard to do.

I like the series and I didn't even mind the accent problem while watching it was only when I started the first episode I was expecting an accent close to the one of that time. Maybe they did it to appease English people for the GoT final season mess.

Bruh...

I don't even know why we're debating this. Accents have never been an issue in regards to period dramas, non-fiction or otherwise.

British accents are commonplace with English language period tv series and movies set outside North America, because they translate better to the principal demographic. It has always been so and will continue to be so.

It's okay that you don't like historical tv shows, but it's amateur hour trying to undermine Chernoby via trivialities like accents. Surely you don't know better than accomplished filmmakers, or do you?

Point to me one historical English language drama set in Europe that didn't utilize British accents as the principal, and I'll tell you why.

5 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 13, 2019
troubleseller:

3. It is their job as actors to fake accents. Simple. Get actors who could do the accent even if it means casting relatively unknown actors.GoT did it and look how far it got.
Seems to me you don't know quite a few things about acting.

GoT cast primarily British actors because apart from being an English language tv show, the plot of GoT is based on The War of Roses that occurred in the present day UK. Since the bulk of the cast were native english speakers anyway, they were encouraged to speak with their local accents. Few foreign cast like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Dinklage were then coached to speak with adequate RP (Upper crust English accent), for two reasons; because it's the easiest British accent to master, and because geographically and conveniently, Casterly Rock (home of Lannisters) is situated in the South-eastern England, the bedrock of RP accents.

To summarize, GoT went for realism, and achieved it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1287) (1288) (1289) (1290) (1291) (1292) (1293) ... (2806) (Reply)

What Movie Are You Watching Now? / Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.