Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,786 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 - TV/Movies (2584) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 (3494414 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Movie Are You Watching Now? / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2581) (2582) (2583) (2584) (2585) (2586) (2587) ... (2809) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 12:36pm On Apr 15, 2023
Kaycee7:

Sometimes, it's an LGBTQIA+ and/or minority creator drawing inspiration from their lived experience.
Other times, it's pandering or virtue signaling from the company/studio.
I don't know why some studios listen to these social justice warriors

These guys using revered IPs for their personal their activism. They ignore established lore, the ignore the world built and bend all the established rules under the franchise just to cater to "the message"

Having LGBTQ in a story does not automatically equate to being woke
but when it comes at the detriment of the story or lore, that is when it becomes woke

A prime example I give is How to Get Away with Murder. I don't like the gay scenes but I thoroughly enjoyed the series. Because the series wasn't woke. It focused on the story and characters...and not activism

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Davidganna10: 12:45pm On Apr 15, 2023
Kaycee7:

Sometimes, it's an LGBTQIA+ and/or minority creator drawing inspiration from their lived experience.
Other times, it's pandering or virtue signaling from the company/studio.
like seriously, prior to the succession series I have always had this notion or school of thought that without a black or LGBTV representative in a particular series or movie it won't get nominated for Awards.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by oyaskii(m): 1:07pm On Apr 15, 2023
Davidganna10:
like seriously, prior to the succession series I have always had this notion or school of thought that without a black or LGBTV representative in a particular series or movie it won't get nominated for Awards.
The LGBTQ perceived none representation in Succession isn't from lack of trying i can boldly tell you that. Even when there are no visible clear evidence, the writing team have been so clever in incorporating it somewhat e.g. There's been some "Queerness" in way "Roman's" character has been written over the years and Tom and Greg did have a "closeted" vibe back and forth one time.

As much as our values or culture in this clime would want to deny it, These representations (LGBTQ or Minorities) will influence media in the western world for years to come.

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by GRIMMJOE(m): 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2023
NaijaMemes:

Stop that blasphemy right there. Just say that intelligent drama isn't your thing.
Cow
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by SOZINN: 1:55pm On Apr 15, 2023
Baddestguyp:
I honestly don't know who makes these decisions at Netflix...
Maybe they needed the attention from the controversy...
Like Velma, they might want people to hate-watch

Its not just Netflix, I just remembered that stupîd woman king movie that they made where they were trying to portray the Dahomey as saints when anyone can easily look up their history and see what horrible greedy bastàrds they were. And yeah you could tell what they were trying to do from the trailer. You don't need to waste hours of your time watching that nonsense to see that they are trying to twist history and feed you garbage.

And this one is a docu like that one was supposed to be based on true events. 😒

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Illusioneffect(m): 3:58pm On Apr 15, 2023
abduleez1:

Yep. Not it's entirety but I've read Aegon's Conquest and some of his son's exploits.
And a bit of other parts of Fire and Blood (Dance of the Dragons).
Nice, I'm not ready to read fire and blood yet, don't want to spoil house of the dragon for myself
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Illusioneffect(m): 4:02pm On Apr 15, 2023
Baddestguyp:
This is still probably the best directed TV episode of all time

Mr Robot S04E07

A masterpiece

I watched this episode and stood up to clap for the director...
Breaking bad's ozymandias vomits

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 5:20pm On Apr 15, 2023
Illusioneffect:

Breaking bad's ozymandias vomits

everyone is allowed to have their opinion

My initial quote was that it was probably the best directed episode...not that it was the best episode of TV

And I stand by that...
The directing in that episode beats Ozymandias imo

You can argue about other elements in the episode...but for direction, it easily beats it imo

You're free to agree or disagree imo

And Ozymandias isn't even in my own top 10 episodes of TV...
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by jikins(m): 8:30pm On Apr 15, 2023
LordAdam16:

Queen Cleopatra was Greek. A bona fide Caucasian Greek to be exact.

The evidence is conclusive.

There has been nothing in mainstream Egyptology to remotely suggest that Cleopatra was black. Nothing new to that effect has emerged in recent years either.

It is premium BS to suggest that this is "touchy" or "hotly debated" or in anyway related to the wacko "Jesus was Black" theories.

In fact, Ptolemaic Egypt is described in history circles as a Greek civilization. For more in-depth information, look up the "Hellenistic Period".

The truly astonishing part is that this is being billed as a documentary. Not a fictional story loosely based on an historical account. An actual effing documentary. I find it insulting.

If a filmmaker tried to make a documentary about Lady Slessor and depicts her as a Black African woman, what would be your response? Would you describe it as "touchy" or "hotly debated"? What about Lady Khama?

If skin color is so important, there are other Egyptian Queens that fit the bill. Queen Nefertiti and Pharaoh Hatshepsut come to mind. Pharaoh Hatshepsut dressed like a man with fake beards according to some accounts. That could fit their trans ideology or whatever. But they had to go pick an unmistakable Greek icon to make a mockery of black excellence.

-Lord

Saying Cleopatra was black is like saying Jada Pinkett Smith is a loving wife

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by SOZINN: 9:01pm On Apr 15, 2023
Awwwn 🌚😏

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by MJBOLT: 11:26pm On Apr 15, 2023
"Scripted Television debut" undecided
Keeping Up With The Kardashians come be wetin undecided

SOZINN:
Awwwn 🌚😏

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 12:29am On Apr 16, 2023
Hell's Paradise episode 3

MAPPA gracing is with more top tier animation. Crazy how they have a dedicated hate base...

Anyway, another great episode. The Island is looking more and more creepy. The otherworldly beings on the island should be their major worries...instead the criminals are killing themselves and their Asaemon

Gabimaru is trying to convince himself that he's truly hollow...that he cares about no one...
But we can see how well he cares for his wife...and how he values her opinion

Sagiri is too strict with the rules...
I'm left wondering if him being with her will help in anyway or become more of a liability

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 12:31am On Apr 16, 2023
MJBOLT:

do people actually still watch Keeping up with the Kardashians?

I mean, maybe 15 years ago...I'd understand...
But would anyone watch that in 2023?

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by pu7pl3(m): 12:41am On Apr 16, 2023
Baddestguyp:
do people actually still watch Keeping up with the Kardashians?

I mean, maybe 15 years ago...I'd understand...
But would anyone watch that in 2023?

I don't think you understood his statement bruh

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by SOZINN: 1:26am On Apr 16, 2023
MJBOLT:

Keeping up with the Kardashians is ReAlitY 🙂

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 1:29am On Apr 16, 2023
pu7pl3:

I don't think you understood his statement bruh
I understood his statement...

I was stating something different...cos I was curious about whether people still watch Kardashians in 2023
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Jarchi(m): 1:29am On Apr 16, 2023
MJBOLT:

° Brodaman, she is not coming as HER but a scripted character with emotions and name °
***Jarchi***

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 1:30am On Apr 16, 2023
SOZINN:

Keeping up with the Kardashians is ReAlitY 🙂
more like scripted reality grin
Fake af...

Why I dumped it so many years ago...
Seems it's still ongoing...
People really watch it in 2023? sad

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Donjazet2: 1:44am On Apr 16, 2023
I know this belongs here. cheesy cheesy

Donjazet2:
Okay so these are my very best season movies of all time! Across all genres.

What makes a good season movie for me are;

-wonderful storyline or scriptwriting, that is, good intricate interwoven plotlines that leave you wanting more. Eg, Breaking bad, sense8, the wire etc.
-Superb cinematic production value. Series that when you watch, you see that money was well spent, the asthetics, scenery and the likes were well crafted. Game of thrones, legend of seeker, the west wing.

Top notch Creativity.
Wonderful performances from the actors. Olivia pope in scandal, Annalise Keating in HTGAWM. Jack Bauer of 24 etc. Malik of mr robot. House of cards.

Of course educative and informative.

So these are my very best seasonal movies. Many possess all or most of the qualities i listed above. I just couldn't get enough. Although some disappointed with the endings but the vast majority were jaw dropping.

Ps; i love all genres of series apart from maybe "religious and conservative series". My favorite genre has to be political drama series. Any series that has the office of the president or a form of government intrigue, constantly features the white house or pentagon or other bureaucracy like the CIA, FBI or the likes. So sometimes this can mix up with detective series. But political dramas like west wing, house of cards, scandal, veep, 24 are some of my favorite.

In no particular order but my top 5 being the very best before the rest of the best.
The wire
Game of thrones
The west wing (i cannot overemphasize this series enough)
Breaking bad
Midnight mass
Squid games.
House of cards
Fargo
Ozarks
Peaky blinders
True detective
Homeland
Fringe
Mr robot.
Money heist.
Elite
Veep
How to get away with murder
Vikings
Scandal
Better call Saul
Boston legal
Person of interest
Suits
Desperate housewives.
Billions
Succession
Narcos
Criminal minds
Smallville (just personal appeal)
Madam secretary
The boys

There you have it!
There is not a single series you would watch on this list that you wouldn't enjoy and want more.
These are the very best of entertainment from my experience.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Donjazet2: 1:46am On Apr 16, 2023
And there was this monologue before that.

Donjazet2:
Yesterday night, i kinda had an epiphany after browsing the movie website and opening an account there and seeing various series, it took me down memory lane.
So, i opened an account on IMDb, and i was seeing some movies i have watched, i decided to list the series i have watched and i was shocked to see the sheer number of season films I've watched over the years. Omo!! I knew that i do watch series but i didn't know that it would be up to 127!! So far oo! Although the caveat is that i didn't complete many and many were also cancelled along the way.

The discovery made me remember even the earliest series i watched that introduced me to american series. From princess xena to legend of the seeker, Merlin, lost, Smallville etc.
I even recalled how i started watching series.

So Short story; my family was the normal quintessential christian conservative household whose movies were predominantly nigerian movies that told stories via the lens of our own society. The religiosity, superstitious beliefs, morbid condemnation of African traditional religion, display of "rituals, sacrifices and the likes. Summarily put, throughout my primary school, myself and my family watched Nollywood movies predominantly. Although we also did watch some american movies on occasion, especially when we switched from VCD to DVD then, i remember watching star wars, around the world in 80 days, the mummy 1 and 2, lord of the rings, rambo, alien vs predator, blade, Harry Potter etc.

But it was when i went to secondary school, I began to hear of seasonal movies, my classmates especially one of my new friends was constantly talking about princess xena, 24 and Smallville. This guy could describe the entire storyline of a movie scene by scene without missing a single scene. Anselm ofoegbu. 😀 We would gather around the guy during break or games and he would be storytelling about the series. When it was midterm break and i went back home, from church i would sneak into a filmshop that sells all these DVD disk and buy a series and then go and watch it at home. So my journey of series began. I was the master of binge watching. Watching American series opened ones eye to a whole different world away from yours. It was different from what we knew.

Watching 24 absolutely blew my mind. I Smallville introduced me to superhero series which as a young teen was a wonderful entertaining experience. In my jss2, when my dad bought our first home theater system, boy oo boy, there was no going back from there. 😄😄😄

Anyways let me list the earliest series i watched throughout my secondary school period.
Kyle xy❌, princess xena, legend of the seeker, Merlin❌, Smallville✅, grey's anatomy, brothers and sisters (my sister personally loved this one soo much), fringe✅✅, ugly betty❌, Boston legal ✅, 24✅✅ ✅, the west wing✅✅✅✅✅, desperate housewives✅, friends, criminal minds🔥, suits✅, supernatural ❌, Stargate Atlantis ❌, the office✅, Malcolm in the middle ❌, lost, how i met your mother ✅, dexter. Teenwolf.

Omoo i watch series no be here oo. 😄😄 These are the earliest i could recall. There are even some i no longer remember the names. One about two twin brothers in highschool.

Anyways, i would list my very best series of all time on the next post. The pick of the bunch. Like top 15-20.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Cypherhendrix(m): 5:18am On Apr 16, 2023
Illusioneffect:
Better Call Saul
S1 - 8/10
S2 - 8.5/10
S3 - 10/10
S4 - 10/10
Without watching breaking bad can someone enjoy this and understand?
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Theyemmie: 8:31am On Apr 16, 2023
Omo this monet is something else o
Jeeez
What's gonna happen when the kids find out what she did shocked shocked
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 8:34am On Apr 16, 2023
Cypherhendrix:

Without watching breaking bad can someone enjoy this and understand?
yes

Only the Black and White scenes and the last few episodes are connected to Breaking Bad
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Illusioneffect(m): 9:47am On Apr 16, 2023
Baddestguyp:

everyone is allowed to have their opinion

My initial quote was that it was probably the best directed episode...not that it was the best episode of TV

And I stand by that...
The directing in that episode beats Ozymandias imo

You can argue about other elements in the episode...but for direction, it easily beats it imo

You're free to agree or disagree imo

And Ozymandias isn't even in my own top 10 episodes of TV...
I haven't watched Mr Robot Sha, what's your top 10
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 9:50am On Apr 16, 2023
Illusioneffect:

I haven't watched Mr Robot Sha, what's your top 10
I don't necessarily have a top 10 but I know Ozymandias cannot be in it...
I even have like 3 episodes from Mr Robot S4 in it

But I know my top 1 Sha:

AOT S4E20: "Memories of the Future"
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by abduleez1(m): 10:01am On Apr 16, 2023
Illusioneffect:

Nice, I'm not ready to read fire and blood yet, don't want to spoil house of the dragon for myself

Yeah, one of the major reasons for me slowing down my reading on it. I was beginning to know almost the storyline well into upcoming season 2. So some scenes wasn't surprising or intriguing enough. Although, there were some notable changes from HBO a few surprises.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by 3RNEST(m): 10:12am On Apr 16, 2023
Please recommend similar Movie..

Like Queen Sugar, Family Business & Siren..
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Barrywhyte1(m): 12:19pm On Apr 16, 2023
Baddestguyp:
I don't necessarily have a top 10 but I know Ozymandias cannot be in it...
I even have like 3 episodes from Mr Robot S4 in it

But I know my top 1 Sha:

AOT S4E20: "Memories of the Future"

What about "Hero" and "Perfect game"?
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Baddestguyp(m): 12:56pm On Apr 16, 2023
Barrywhyte1:

What about "Hero" and "Perfect game"?
they're 10/10
But they aren't in my top 5 AOT episodes...
AOT has so many 10/10 episodes

Memories of the Future
From You 2000 years ago
Dawn of Humanity
Declaration of War
Two Brothers
Children of the Forest
Sole Salvation
AOT special episode 88
That Day
The Attack Titan

I could go on and on
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by nani667: 2:01pm On Apr 16, 2023
Final season ☑️

8 / 10

Always knew Jimmy was the Villain of the story.. my only gripe is that Kim escaped prosecution... That babe deserves even worse than Jimmy

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by ositadima1(m): 2:32pm On Apr 16, 2023
LordAdam16:

Queen Cleopatra was Greek. A bona fide Caucasian Greek to be exact.

The evidence is conclusive.

There has been nothing in mainstream Egyptology to remotely suggest that Cleopatra was black. Nothing new to that effect has emerged in recent years either.

It is premium BS to suggest that this is "touchy" or "hotly debated" or in anyway related to the wacko "Jesus was Black" theories.

In fact, Ptolemaic Egypt is described in history circles as a Greek civilization. For more in-depth information, look up the "Hellenistic Period".

The truly astonishing part is that this is being billed as a documentary. Not a fictional story loosely based on an historical account. An actual effing documentary. I find it insulting.

If a filmmaker tried to make a documentary about Lady Slessor and depicts her as a Black African woman, what would be your response? Would you describe it as "touchy" or "hotly debated"? What about Lady Khama?

If skin color is so important, there are other Egyptian Queens that fit the bill. Queen Nefertiti and Pharaoh Hatshepsut come to mind. Pharaoh Hatshepsut dressed like a man with fake beards according to some accounts. That could fit their trans ideology or whatever. But they had to go pick an unmistakable Greek icon to make a mockery of black excellence.

-Lord

Cleopatra was of Macedonian descent and not a native Egyptian. She was a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty, which was founded by Alexander the Great's general Ptolemy in 326 BC. The Ptolemies were of Greek origin and ruled Egypt for three centuries.

Cleopatra was the last sovereign of her dynasty and came to power in 51 BC at the age of seventeen. She was married to her eldest brother, Ptolemy XIII, who was ten years old at the time.

Cleopatra was the first Ptolemaic ruler to learn the Egyptian language, as all those before her spoke only Greek. She also linked herself to various deities, such as Isis, which further cemented her role as ruler of the land. Cleopatra's reign was marked by political turmoil and she lost her kingdom once, regained it, nearly lost it again, and amassed an empire. She was a skilled leader and was able to ingratiate herself with the new master of the Roman world, Julius Caesar.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2581) (2582) (2583) (2584) (2585) (2586) (2587) ... (2809) (Reply)

What Movie Are You Watching Now? / Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread

Viewing this topic: Crumbian, smokers, Ikanium(m) and 1 guest(s)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61