Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,353 members, 7,780,946 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:07 AM

My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now (64481 Views)

My Car Now Overheat, What Can Be Done? / Prince Philip’s Car Now A Sri Lankan Royal Artefact / Honest Advice Needed. Should I Sell My Car Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by pacespot(m): 7:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hmmm
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Gkemz: 7:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
What I suffered after buying a Nigerian used car so as to put it in order was too much but when I compare it to what my guy who bought even the overated American used car is currently facing I feel I wasn't cheated after all.
Americans just like Nigerians don't dispose their cars except it's having one issue or the other. The difference is that Nigerians on the other hand dispose their vehicles when they shows up multiple issues.

2 Likes

Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Zane2point4(m): 7:54pm On Sep 10, 2021
bizzibodi:

Are U saying that V6 dnt consume fuel?

Guy seeing is believing i dont know abt other v6 o, buh this one is 3.0 it doesn't atall. Maybe cos the engine is very sound, buh compared to my 4plugs camry it is more conservative.
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by mrsage(m): 11:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
Okay
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Gfskw: 1:23am On Sep 11, 2021
Really
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by salt1: 6:05am On Sep 11, 2021
Good advice
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by DaCharis2016: 6:15am On Sep 11, 2021
Pls who uses AuctionExport here? I need an experienced review on it. Kindly help share your review with me.
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by officerfudo: 6:27am On Sep 11, 2021
nosiebaba:
My own advise is if you don't know that person personally and you haven't witnessed how he handles his car, RUN OOH 98% of Nigerians only sell their cars when the problem don tire them

Bought a Nigerian used car with just a friend to help look at it, turned out the car was good, have been driving it around since January and the car dey give me joy. It all comes down to luck as some mechanics can make you waste your money becos of the little money they want to make. Don't blame them too much, we are all living in Buhari's Nigeria.
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Emeka71(m): 7:43am On Sep 11, 2021
nosiebaba:
My own advise is if you don't know that person personally and you haven't witnessed how he handles his car, RUN OOH 98% of Nigerians only sell their cars when the problem don tire them
So true.
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by dicksonadams(m): 8:16am On Sep 11, 2021
Zane2point4:

Guy seeing is believing i dont know abt other v6 o, buh this one is 3.0 it doesn't atall. Maybe cos the engine is very sound, buh compared to my 4plugs camry it is more conservative.
What year camry?
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by nosiebaba(m): 8:21am On Sep 11, 2021
If your matrix is in good condition, then you are among the 2 percent

quote author=nosiebaba post=105043122]My own advise is if you don't know that person personally and you haven't witnessed how he handles his car, RUN OOH 98% of Nigerians only sell their cars when the problem don tire them[/quote]
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Individual85: 10:03am On Sep 11, 2021
ospreywin:

Oga VC,please drop your WhatsApp. Tanx
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by AdaAwka1: 10:27am On Sep 11, 2021
BigDawsNet:

It wasn't in his plan to ever replace his new shinning naija used car engine...

That advice go just weak the nigga more....

His currently consider reselling

Lol ok, he should sell it then, he can get someone who can afford to buy and fix the car also. But he should not that even Tokumbo cars come into Naija with issues, so if he wants to buy a car, he should also make financial provision to fix unforeseen issues with the car.

1 Like

Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by ospreywin(m): 10:31am On Sep 11, 2021
Individual85:

Oga VC,please drop your WhatsApp. Tanx
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Kraytur: 10:56am On Sep 11, 2021
I bought my Nigerian used Honda from a dealership and I’ve not touched or serviced it since I bought it no issues so far drives smoothly 170k mileage grin
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by YeyeBoyfriend: 11:08am On Sep 11, 2021
Scottz:
I need a used Camry or Honda
My budget is 1.3/1.4m
check my profile, I have 2005 accord for sale 950k, well maintained
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by computerglobal(m): 2:17pm On Sep 11, 2021

Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by honda001: 3:02pm On Sep 11, 2021
We can trust dealers
Kraytur:
I bought my Nigerian used Honda from a dealership and I’ve not touched or serviced it since I bought it no issues so far drives smoothly 170k mileage grin
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Zane2point4(m): 8:06pm On Sep 11, 2021
dicksonadams:

What year camry?
2005 camry xle
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by lovetterrison(m): 3:21am On Sep 12, 2021
solasoulmusic:
I bought my first car from an owner and the second from a dealer and the experience I will share with you all.

The owner was deceitful despite being a close friend there were more things wrong with the car than they stated. A scanner is important when buying a car after 1996 and he lied it wasn’t scannable but it was they had hidden the OBD port. I fixed everything and added some personal touches to get the car I actually wanted. I didn’t source a mechanic before hand so I fell victim to roadside craftiness where they remove some of your parts and sell it back to you. Annoying experience but at least you know where not to go.

The dealer a better experience overall because you know where to go and have a receipt with the business name and you do see their legal name on the papers and they have much more to lose so they aren’t just looking for a quick buck to disappear. There were minor repairs needed but I always change spark plugs and coils to start afresh. if you research and have background knowledge of maintaining a car buying used car or new would not be any different. Test drive it and buy it there and then don’t go home to sleep over it because those 24hrs impact the kind of car you will come back to meet. For example some dealers swap brain boxes brakes and all that.

Overall have your preferred Rewire, a trust worthy mechanic and a trusted parts supplier and it will make a huge difference and give you peace of mind.

Secondly if you can afford it have cameras everywhere in the vehicle wifi backing up via GSM to another location.

When you’ve bought it reset the transmission so the car adapts to your driving style. Have a scanner and be good with your hands and be able to listen for trouble sounds and your car will last a long time. Immobilizer that only you know how to deactivate as well is necessary

Lastly Edmunds.com is where I go to check the ratings of all cars I’m thinking of purchasing or helping a client find. The feedback allows me to see what kind of vehicle I am buying and what kinds of problems are common. You want to buy a car that even a Rewire will tell you doesn’t have any issues except spark plugs and all.

Which document can one expect when buying from a dealer cos most of their cars na swap cars
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by ospreywin(m): 7:16am On Sep 12, 2021
lovetterrison:

Which document can one expect when buying from a dealer cos most of their cars na swap cars
Custom papers
If it's a registered vehicle; custom paper, vehicle license, proof of ownership certificate and allocation of number plate paper copies.
Purchase receipt and transfer of ownership agreement form.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 12, 2021
lovetterrison:

Complete documents
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by lovetterrison(m): 11:12pm On Sep 12, 2021
solasoulmusic:

Complete documents

Like?
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by lovetterrison(m): 11:12pm On Sep 12, 2021
solasoulmusic:

Complete documents

On point thank you , any affidavit or police report whatsoever
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by lovetterrison(m): 11:13pm On Sep 12, 2021
ospreywin:

Custom papers
If it's a registered vehicle; custom paper, vehicle license, proof of ownership certificate and allocation of number plate paper copies.
Purchase receipt and transfer of ownership agreement form.

Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by ospreywin(m): 11:30pm On Sep 12, 2021
lovetterrison:

Yes, that will be needed to process change of ownership and changing of names on documents to yours.
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 13, 2021
lovetterrison:

I did tinting permit as well so it had to go through the police so if there was an issue it would have been revealed also the transfer between me and the dealer as well I don’t pay cash at all for that reason it will be on your statement along with the date and time of purchase
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by ospreywin(m): 8:25am On Sep 26, 2021
solasoulmusic:

I did tinting permit as well so it had to go through the police so if there was an issue it would have been revealed also the transfer between me and the dealer as well I don’t pay cash at all for that reason it will be on your statement along with the date and time of purchase
?
Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by fabienjoe: 2:13am On Sep 27, 2021
Some Nigerian mechanics carry out modifications you can't fathom in cars. I bought this Nigerian used Accord 2012 and realised that the fans were running directly with the ignition. The car was working fine, though. but I was not comfortable with that direct fan connection. I noticed that it hesitated a bit in the morning before starting. Not really troublesome but I didn't like it. I took it to my electrician and within 30 minutes, he reverted it to factory connection. I held my breath. I expected the car to overheat. It never did. I have travelled with the car over 150km at a stretch several times, under intense heat sometimes stuck in gridlock, the temperature needle remained just below the centre. what is more, the morning hesitation stopped. ..which begs the question, why that direct fan connection on a car with almost perfect cooling system? I've been using the car for over a year now without any problems. Sometimes Nigerian mechanics disrupt the operations of perfectly working vehicles.

6 Likes

Re: My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now by ospreywin(m): 10:53am On Sep 27, 2021
fabienjoe:
Some Nigerian mechanics carry out modifications you can't fathom in cars. I bought this Nigerian used Accord 2012 and realised that the fans were running directly with the ignition. The car was working fine, though. but I was not comfortable with that direct fan connection. I noticed that it hesitated a bit in the morning before starting. Not really troublesome but I didn't like it. I took it to my electrician and within 30 minutes, he reverted it to factory connection. I held my breath. I expected the car to overheat. It never did. I have travelled with the car over 150km at a stretch several times, under intense heat sometimes stuck in gridlock, the temperature needle remained just below the centre. what is more, the morning hesitation stopped. ..which begs the question, why that direct fan connection on a car with almost perfect cooling system? I've been using the car for over a year now without any problems. Sometimes Nigerian mechanics disrupt the operations of perfectly working vehicles.
That's the reason they are called kazeems, that's how they learn the job and they believe that's how it should be done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dad Forced To Pay ₦3.6m After 3-Year Old Daughter Scratched 10 Brand New Audis / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou / Governor Sanwo-Olu Unveils First Electric Car In Nigeria (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.