Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,845 members, 7,802,697 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord (15409 Views)

2016 W212 E350, 2017 Accord V6 Touring, Or 2019 Optima Sx? / What You Need To Know Before You Buy An "Accidented" Car / Accidented Honda CRV 2012: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by BamBamK: 9:46am On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

I can neither confirm nor deny grin

you belong to everybody and nobody
Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by BamBamK: 9:46am On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

So many things oyibo cannot relate to in this country o grin Firing sensor, raising sensor etc. Visit this thread if you haven't already. You will see things cheesy
https://www.nairaland.com/2938231/inside-kazeems-dictionary-nicknames-car

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 5:07pm On Aug 27, 2021
Conner44:
Oga piyke please i need your help on this. I want to change all the bushings on my suspension at a go because the noises and clangs I hear have gotten out of hand. I need to know how many bushings are installed totally per wheel well front and back for a 2003 Honda Accord 4Cyl thank you

I think you should first do an inspection to physically identify the bushings needing replacement. E.g. A broken passenger side engine mount will present with clattering noise in the suspension when going over uneven roads (the type some call chain-gallop). If unsure what to lookout for, you can open a thread and post pictures of the bushings seen on inspection. There are so many components in the double wishbone setup of this Accord that can cause noise...

1 Like

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

I started my search locally without importation on the table. I combed car stands in Abj. Wuse, Garki, Gwarinpa, Kubwa axis.. I saw things shocked

I had a routine.
1. Inspect for frame damage and assess degree of prior accident. Virtually all cars were accidented. The only cars that were not, were flooded cars.
2. Inspect engine including AC lines. AC line welds were a turn-off
3. Scan all modules
4. Listen to tone of engine
5. Inspect custom duty
If the above checkout...
6. Drive the car
7. Collect the VIN for a CarGuideNG #coughs#... for a search.
If 7 is good
8. Verify custom paper

8 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 5:25pm On Aug 27, 2021
kingreign:

If you kwantinu this way, you will see thingses o! grin grin

There were many things angry

1 Like

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 5:47pm On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

I started my search locally without importation on the table. I combed car stands in Abj. Wuse, Garki, Gwarinpa, Kubwa axis.. I saw things shocked

They were many:

1. Frame damage: non-centrally placed wheel in the wheel well etc.

2. 200k mileage mascurading as 88k angry angry

3. Altered VIN: Including swapping the underwindshield VIN stamp shocked

4. Fake custom duty angry

5. No custom duty disclosed as so.

6. A car with as much as 14 current SRS codes yet the airbag light is off...alias tape or bulb deletion angry. Airbag deployment was not exclusion criteria, however having e.g frame damage in addition, was.

7. "Nothing to fix, buy & drive" : only for you to get there, no need to even start the car.

8. Engine sound suggesting mechanical damage.

Will update if I remember

13 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 5:52pm On Aug 27, 2021
I really remember this Silver 2016 EXL I inspected at Galadimawa.
Loved it. Very clean. Custom duty was among the highest I saw. Price was within budget, however, front driver wheel was a tad twisted. Wasn't sure if it was frame or suspension damage, just decided to walk cry.
Would have bought if not for this one thing.
Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 5:56pm On Aug 27, 2021
I also saw some clean cars I would have paid for, however they were above my price ceiling at the time.

Did I mention I largely used jiji, snowballing, plus visiting car stands as search methods?

4 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Conner44: 6:11pm On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

I think you should first do an inspection to physically identify the bushings needing replacement. E.g. A broken passenger side engine mount will present with clattering noise in the suspension when going over uneven roads (the type some call chain-gallop). If unsure what to lookout for, you can open a thread and post pictures of the bushings seen on inspection. There are so many components in the double wishbone setup of this Accord that can cause noise...

Okay thanks. I’d better go sit with a mechanic and allow him take apart the suspension while checking for the ones to change. That front passenger engine mount change is due too.

3 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by kingreign(m): 7:23pm On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

They were many:

1. Frame damage: non-centrally placed wheel in the wheel well etc.

2. 200k mileage mascurading as 88k angry angry

3. Altered VIN: Including swapping the underwindshield VIN stamp shocked

4. Fake custom duty angry

5. No custom duty disclosed as so.

6. A car with as much as 14 current SRS codes yet the airbag light is off...alias tape or bulb deletion angry. Airbag deployment was not exclusion criteria, however having e.g frame damage in addition, was.

7. "Nothing to fix, buy & drive" : only for you to get there, no need to even start the car.

8. Engine sound suggesting mechanical damage.

Will update if I remember

Oh I remember during covid 19 lock down when you were searching...you really saw war just like Warsaw saw war! cry cry angry angry

7 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by king406(m): 11:14pm On Aug 27, 2021
Why 4cyl? angry

3 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by CarGuideNG: 11:32pm On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

I had a routine.
1. Inspect for frame damage and assess degree of prior accident. Virtually all cars were accidented. The only cars that were not, were flooded cars.
3. Scan all modules
5. Inspect custom duty
If the above checkout...
6. Drive the car
If 7 is good
8. Verify custom paper

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by CarGuideNG: 11:32pm On Aug 27, 2021
Piyke:

I had a routine.
3. Scan all modules
5. Inspect custom duty
If the above checkout...
6. Drive the car
If 7 is good
8. Verify custom paper

Great job Sir! Following your progress religiously!
Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by aminubala20(m): 11:42pm On Aug 27, 2021
Currently on this table too. Being searching for Honda Accord 2016 EX-L, but what I saw yesterday made me to give up. I think I will give importation a chance as adviced by a friend. You will be surprised if you see what they called tokunbo yesterday, but thanks to a professional that accompanied me there.

11 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2021
king406:
Why 4cyl? angry

The reasons I prefer 4cyl over the V6 are a couple:
1. V6 equals more parts and tend to have more complaints in general
2. 4cyl has a timing chain which should last the life of the vehicle unlike timing belts on V6
3. More $$$ to maintain V6: e.g. 4 AF/O2, 6 plugs etc. Fuel consumption is really not my issue but preventive maintenance components since I tend to be a maintenance freak.
4. Less space in the engine bay for repairs angry

I will still come to why I chose the 2015 - 2017 years...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 8:46pm On Aug 29, 2021
The final video on the SRS reset series. Nice to finally have the red light off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mXdyT8OXTU

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 10:30pm On Aug 29, 2021
CarGuideNG:

Great job Sir! Following your progress religiously!

Well done boss. Your business dedication, ethic and speed when it comes to VIN search, is to be envied. Keep it up!

5 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 10:51pm On Aug 29, 2021
Why I avoided 2013 - 2014 years...

As much as possible, its best practice to avoid years sporting new models. Carcomplaints.com nicknamed '013 - 014, "the clunker"
Doesn't necessarily mean new design years are all bad.
Although the same site advises to avoid the 2003 Accord like the plague, I have had a very good experience with the same car..

But, of what use is knowledge, if you don't use it?

1 Like

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Timblogga: 8:52am On Aug 30, 2021
Piyke:
I only discovered these differences after I was sent a supposed OEM from Lagos. Only for it to be the same thing.

In fact, the airbag used for the replacement video above was the knockoff angry. Didn't know at the time. Had to return the evil stuff.

Again, Kingreign gave me a different Lagos contact who supplied the genuine stuff; just what Honda prescribed. wink
what’s the airbag guy number pls?
Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 9:50am On Aug 30, 2021
aminubala20:
Currently on this table too. Being searching for Honda Accord 2016 EX-L, but what I saw yesterday made me to give up. I think I will give importation a chance as adviced by a friend. You will be surprised if you see what they called tokunbo yesterday, but thanks to a professional that accompanied me there.

I feel you and totally understand.
A lot of dubious insincere sellers. You describe what you want and they tell you its available. You get there, sometimes its not the pics shown, or its just a far cry from initial description. The most annoying were the ones trying to sell cars with fake custom duty. angry
I met some good sellers though, just that the spec wasn't available.
I almost wanted to continue my search to Lagos, but settled on importation finally.

2 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 9:53am On Aug 30, 2021
Timblogga:
what’s the airbag guy number pls?

Do the needful cheesy
Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 7:46am On Sep 03, 2021
Resuming to wrap...

While searching, I preferred airbag deployment compared to extensive body damage. That said, I wanted no side curtain airbag deployment. Main reason; it usually rips the headliner and I don't know a good upholstery guy who can give a factory finish.

I also didn't want front passenger airbag deployment. On the 2013 - 2017 Accord, once the front passenger airbag deploys, the entire dashboard will need to be changed. Poor design in my opinion.

7 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 7:55am On Sep 03, 2021
I saw things at Apapa... shocked

Car was containerized via Grimaldi. While an agent was used for clearing, I decided to have the "offloading/clearing" experience for myself. I also had some other business in Lagos, so why not?

I saw things o. Container was offloaded between 8 - 10pm. Agberos everywhere.
The car battery was dead and I went with a battery. The offloaders had a battery for cars with dead batteries. Fee was 2500 I think.

The cranes are a beauty to watch while in operation smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 8:10am On Sep 03, 2021
When the container was opened, o boy! The loaders in the US had no joy. A fridge was on top of one guys car angry angry.

Mine was deep inside the container; on the ground while another sedan was suspended directly above. Container had 4 cars.

See how offloaders were walking on cars to do their work angry angry. I had to make noise to mitigate the evil walk before they get to the car. After the shout, I called one of them and said, “calm down I will see you after" cheesy. With that, the guy relaxed and started safeguarding my moto grin

However, there was one heavy carton seating on my hood cry, and before I could look left, an unsponsored offloader dragged it across the hood undecided. It left clear coat scratches. Most of which I have polished off.

14 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 8:18am On Sep 03, 2021
The drive from Apapa

Road block after road block manned by agberos collecting forced tolls.
They had a tactic: "Oga I go commot this ya side mirror o"

I remember one of them who demanded 3k. The guy was already yanking the passenger mirror which has the lane watch camera. In a flash, I remembered my market survey on that part... 80k or so. I just dropped the money and moved!

9 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by id4sho(m): 8:25am On Sep 03, 2021
Piyke:
The drive from Apapa

Road block after road block manned by agberos collecting forced tolls.
They had a tactic: "Oga I go commot this ya side mirror o"

I remember one of them who demanded 3k. The guy was already yanking the passenger mirror which has the lane watch camera. In a flash, I remembered my market survey on that part... 80k or so. I just dropped the money and moved!
shocked chai, nawa ooooo

3 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by kingreign(m): 8:28am On Sep 03, 2021
Too many agberos for Lagos. It makes me really scared and weary of staying in that state. Whenever I am in Lagos, I develop high blood pressure and malaria just because of the many wrong things I see.
Sigh!
angry angry
I really love and appreciate the peace and tranquility of Abuja and Uyo.

6 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 8:31am On Sep 03, 2021
Morale of the story...

Accidented cars with SRS deployments can be restored to factory. You just need to know what it will take: parts, tools (if DIY), cost estimate for repair etc.

Expertise is very important for SRS repairs. Where I painted the fender, the manager told me a similar car they tried to replace its driver airbag had 2 replacement airbags blow on them. I asked, "was the SRS disabled before fitting?“ To my horror, NO, was the answer. And this was a relatively well setup place!

You need to be patient when in the market for a car, especially if you have a strict set of criteria. Don't rush into a 'bad' car because its proving difficult to find a 'good' car.

Peace!

11 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 8:34am On Sep 03, 2021
id4sho:

shocked chai, nawa ooooo

Very serious o. I tell you. Better not move at night. That's another lesson, though I had no choice. I wasn't the owner of the container. He was determined to offload irrespective of the time...

5 Likes

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by Piyke: 8:35am On Sep 03, 2021
kingreign:
Too many agberos for Lagos. It makes me really scared and weary of staying in that state. Whenever I am in Lagos, I develop high blood pressure and malaria just because of the many wrong things I see.
Sigh!
angry angry

Same here. Living in Lagos takes skill.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by kelvinzino: 9:57am On Sep 03, 2021
Tell us about the fuel consumption so far, compared to your previous car

1 Like

Re: I Got An Accidented 2017 Accord by okoroemeka(m): 11:52am On Sep 03, 2021
kingreign:
Sigh!
angry angry
just thinking about going to Lagos gives me high blood pressure,,and if there I do whatever i came to do in a haste to run back,those people living there are trying.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? / Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) / Motorists Driving With Earphones Risk Six Months In Jail – FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.