Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call (31249 Views)

What Do You Hate About Your Job Or Place Of Work? / The 'famous' Nigerian Female Police Officer Still Beautiful In Makeup Free Photo / Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by BigCabal: 9:12pm On Aug 22, 2021
Being on call as a medical doctor means that being on standby, ready to work on anything that needs your attention immediately. In this article, five Nigerian female doctors talk about the things they hate about being on call.

Dr Chichi

What I hate most about being on call is being on call. I work in a big hospital and we get a lot of patients every day. During the day, I struggle with the pressure that comes with a full hospital of sick people needing urgent care and my anxiety as I try to work through it. I can be performing surgery on one person while another person is crashing in that moment. On most days, I come in earlier than 8 AM and leave later than 5 PM. It takes a lot from me. Sometimes, I cry to release the tension.

I hate that patients often expect doctors to just know what’s going on with them and have an immediate solution. They don’t care what happens to the doctors or how they feel. On a good day, I only get four hours of sleep. Sometimes, I don’t even have enough time to shower before starting work in the morning. I miss out on a lot — events, intimate time with loved ones, friends and family milestones. What keeps me going is thinking about my bed or spending time with my friends and family. Sometimes, I wish my patients would spend a day in my shoes, maybe then, they will be nicer to their doctors.

Dr Olayide

Being on call almost always means you will be working through the night. There are more emergencies to attend to at night and more referrals to be made. I hate when patients have to be referred to a different hospital at night so being able to help anxious patients without referrals is one of my biggest joys when I am on call.

Dr Ayo

I don’t mind being on call at night because I have gotten used to it. I work in a private hospital so the workload is less than it is during the day but that changes anytime. During call at night, there are fewer people at work so the atmosphere is relaxed and commuting is easier and faster.

During my internship a few years ago at a tertiary hospital, I was scared of walking alone at night because there were many reports of people who got robbed or assaulted. I would run from my room to the wards or the emergency rooms but I feel safer now. Aside from that fear, I am always happy for the little things like a newborn and a happy mother. The truth is during call, you never know what you will get.

Dr Kakamor

During calls, I sleep less. I spend most of my time on-call on my feet, which means back pain is my friend. On some days, the work can be endless and I don’t get a break until the following morning. Sometimes, I end up going home during the weekend because of an overload of work. On other days, it can be calm. That’s when you will see doctors smiling. Having to deal with too many things at the same time strains the mind. Sometimes it’s so bad that I am already unhappy thinking about the next shift while I am on one.

During calls, food is the last thing on my mind and this is what makes doctors collapse on the job. The crazy thing is that you can be on call for a whole week, dragging your grumpy self around, stealing short periods of sleep in uncomfortable call rooms with mosquitoes or rats. Some days, there might be no water to even freshen up.

Another thing that frustrates me during calls is working with nurses that do not like to do their work. They will call my attention to every little thing, even when it’s something within their job description. Regardless of all this, I love what I do even though the hardship in the Nigerian hospitals is so unnecessary.

Dr Adetola

I hate the fact that calls deprive me of rest because emergencies could come in at any time and I have to be on my toes. Calls are almost always tedious and unpredictable. However, when you work at night in some departments, you get the next day off. Personally, I prefer working at the obstetrics and gynaecology department because most of the cases are usually similar and that takes the edge for me.

Source: https://www.zikoko.com/her/5-nigerian-female-doctors-talk-about-what-they-hate-about-being-on-call/

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by jaeyking(m): 9:45pm On Aug 22, 2021
You knew about the profession before jumping into it
So don't come and disturb us

110 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DropsMic(m): 5:38pm On Aug 23, 2021
Doctors wey remain for Nigeria are those wey just graduate newly wey go soon Japa and those wey don tire to dey write PLAB test... The really good ones don Japa tey tey.

Virtually all my medical friends are now practicing abroad. Even those wey been dey form patriotism when reality hit them, them sef Japa.

If we had a functioning government, them suppose don dey do all it takes to discourage doctors from traveling out, from equipping our hospitals to increasing their salaries etc but we are blacks, we are not really good at thinking.

54 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Randal: 5:38pm On Aug 23, 2021
Na una work oh

4 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by bigdammyj: 5:38pm On Aug 23, 2021
Noted
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Exceed15: 5:38pm On Aug 23, 2021
God bless our doctors..

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Bobotic(m): 5:38pm On Aug 23, 2021
What about those that need Urgent Money before attending to a serious patient?

This 9ja we country sef cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by SecretReporter(f): 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2021
Y
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DoggoneDogg: 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2021
No native doctors??

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by MidaserveNG: 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2021
cool Very Essential Services cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Greystone: 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2021
Exceed15:
God bless our doctors..

Amen.

In fact, God bless all our healthcare workers and those still looking for work.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Jesuschristus: 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2021
Nobody will talk abt the free call food hospital provide every night

6 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by kenzysmith: 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2021
Please doctors in the house quote me I serious need your help pls
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by graphics102: 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
cool
Money choppers. Lemme come and feel among
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by AfonjaConehead: 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
Yep and we sailors ain't left out as well. Ain't funny waking up at night to take ullage s during STS so everyone can have fuel..
Btw,
Please can someone tell me,what is a Dr KAKAMOR?

grin

4 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
We love you guys.
Thanks for all you do.

Doctors : We care, but GOD heals.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by arejibadz(m): 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
jaeyking:
You knew about the profession before jumping into it
So don't come and disturb us
me sef dy wonder y Dem dy complain

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by topoftheworld(m): 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
God bless all Nigeria Doctors

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
Greystone:

Amen.

Not just doctors.

God bless all our healthcare workers.
Amen

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2021
God bless our doctors.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by 1Alex: 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2021
Okay
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Janeberryy: 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2021
This has just taught me to treat Doctors better and be very clear while explaining my symptoms.

Thank you.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by UncleKoboko: 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2021
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by pennywys(m): 5:42pm On Aug 23, 2021
cheesy
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Triangles1(m): 5:42pm On Aug 23, 2021
Despite the fact that doctors see kpekus on daily basis majority of them are womanizer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by slawormiir: 5:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright...

Who cares

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Ikpeyi: 5:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
God bless the Doctors...

Hon Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba for 2023...

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IGP Orders Probe Of The Sack Of Unmarried Pregnant Policewoman In Ekiti / Mass Sack In Alpha Beta Consulting Limited Allegedly Owned By Tinubu / Ikechukwu Ikeji, Lawyer & Pastor Dies (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.