Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation (19802 Views)

Dangote Commences Pre-testing Of $2bn Fertilizer Plant Ahead Of Inauguration / Dangote Invests N63bn In Transit Support Services, Buys 3,500 Trucks / FG Demands Fresh $2bn Tax Arrears From MTN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by lalasticlala(m): 3:41pm On Aug 23, 2021
SoftBank Vision Fund 2 led a $400 million funding round for OPay, valuing the Nigerian mobile-payments platform at $2 billion and marking the investment vehicle’s first bet in Africa.

Also participating in the round were Sequoia Capital China, DragonBall Capital, the venture arm of Chinese food-delivery giant Meituan, Redpoint China, Source Code Capital, SoftBank Ventures Asia and 3W Capital, according to OPay.

“We want to be the power that helps emerging markets reach a faster economic development,” OPay Chief Executive Officer Yahui Zhou said in an emailed statement.

The company’s technology is designed to replace cash and other legacy payment methods, helping local governments “improve financial and information security,” according to OPay. Founded in 2018, the company’s monthly transaction volumes exceed $3 billion. In addition to expanding in other African countries, OPay is focused on the Middle East as well, it said.

“We believe our investment will help the company extend its offering to adjacent markets and replicate its successful business model in Egypt and other countries in the region,” said Kentaro Matsui, a SoftBank Group Corp. managing director and former managing partner at SoftBank Investment Advisers, which oversees Vision Fund and Vision Fund 2.

OPay previously counted ride-hailing and logistics services as part of its offerings. Last year, OPay closed its ride-hailing and bike-sharing businesses following a government ban and the rise of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Norway’s Opera Ltd., which counts Zhou as its chairman and co-CEO, said in June that it sold 29% of its stake in OPay, recording a $31.1 million gain. Zhou is the billionaire founder of Kunlun Tech Co., which last year sold dating app Grindr under U.S. regulatory pressure due to national-security concerns.

Earlier this month, SoftBank’s billionaire founder Masayoshi Son said he’d begin to invest personally alongside Vision Fund 2, to which SoftBank has committed $40 billion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-23/softbank-bets-on-fintech-startup-opay-at-2-billion-valuation

1 Like

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by ainas247: 3:44pm On Aug 23, 2021
smiley Guy at the top please delete your post and let me be FTC on Baba Lalastic post nah... Biko

Mean while,If you are a product or music video, let’s me run paid YouTube ads to promote your videos chat up

2 Likes

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Davidski(m): 3:44pm On Aug 23, 2021
Good for them as long as they won't turn around to extort us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Sirmuel1(m): 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
Oh God of all wisdom, give me an idea!! I want to build a multimillion dollar company!!! Just an idea, will change my life forever! embarassed

Modified: I'm saying this because I've done so many businesses and I have failed. Seems nothing is actually working out lol

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Daniiel: 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
Mtcheeeew audio money

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by prinsam30: 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
this opay sef how the thing be sef

2 Likes

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Generalwoodz(m): 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
They're talking about $400m and $2b

But here on Nairaland yours truly is asking you to help a broke Naija boi like me earn $2 and $10 respectively.

It looks so little but when exchanged to shameful naira it turns to a money that can get a sumptuous plate of bole, steaming hot and great aroma plus a bottle of Heineken to step it down.

You ain't doing much. You're not spending anything!

You only click a link. And maybe register.

When you click the link I get $2

And If you really want to be so lovely by registering your presence on the site I get $10.

Perfect. What's the site all about?

I'll answer that in all honesty.

So today I was perusing the subs of Reddit when I came across some post. The real truth; I was searching for client. As I am a copywriter.

I immediately registered fast. Because they legit promised $25 if I did.

I so much wanted to withdraw that particular 25$ with out doing any task but well...they said it won't happen not until I invite or refer 15persons.

I know how nairaland bots abhors sharing of link here. And Nigerians knows how to cast fruitful things quickly, and before you say Jack Robinson! they have banned and blacklisted us From assessing their site like other great sites that pays out real treats anything that looks Nigerian.

If you read this far that means your interested.

Click my signature!
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Raxxye(m): 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
Financial jargons!
Making no sense to a layman!

2 Likes

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by inoki247: 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
Mak dem Deposit my share of 1million dollars inside my Opay akant no time..

Mak oda customers manage the remaining...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Rhado: 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
X
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by hamaworld(m): 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
Make I apply loan from inside this fund

1 Like

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by richeeyo(m): 3:46pm On Aug 23, 2021
No comments at front page, shows our youth no they intelligent, if na football or tribalistic topics, dem sabi

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Sonnobax15(m): 3:46pm On Aug 23, 2021
smiley
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by donPhill(m): 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
More cashback to flow fa, those guys are doing well really, let's not talk about their loan part, let's say you re just using it for normal transactions.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by gozie85(m): 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
Nice
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Kincaldb247: 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
That's a great financial investment
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by PotatoSalad(m): 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
O Trike and O Ride were among the best things that happened between 2019 and 2020.
At a point, I didn't use my car for weeks. My rides were always waiting for me Infront of my gate. cheesy
Unfortunately, the business model was too ambitious.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Seniorwriter(m): 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
Mouth watering investment hedge funds....

Reason I tell interns to be proactive in client funnel creation.....numbers don't lie if you know you know!

@SENIORWRITER
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by beemedia1: 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
Opay ko kopay ni

1 Like

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by DirtyGold: 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
Rich investment in an already flourishing venture...
A classic case of those who have will have more given to them.

Anyway, I love soft things winkcool

What's tha business?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by jaxxy(m): 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
Chinko supporting chinko. What’s the point if it doesn’t translate into better services and welfare. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by FarahAideed: 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
I have never seen an investor with the appetite for risk like softbank and the thing that amazes me is they are not worried about calling their losses and moving on like nothing happened

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by falseprophet: 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
shocked
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Tobisco911(m): 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2021
That's good one for them, hope nigeria policy will not affect them..

Cus I love the app.

2 Likes

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by sylve11: 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2021
Good one.

Just keep thinking, if you have a solution to any problem, then you have much money. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by CLASSMAN: 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2021
But I hear say them hack opay server, is it true?
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by rowland545(m): 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2021
I love opay apart from d free charges I also get lots of discount... I still don't know y people are not ditching normal banks for this easy banking

2 Likes

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2021
nice one
money is in tech and crypto now
although local policies are killing the sector

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by SouthSouth1914: 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2021
Re: Softbank Invests $400m In Opay At $2bn Valuation by Danisaint112(m): 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2021
Someone ones said and I concur if you want your peace then stay away from Loan apps.
I don't know if Opay behaves like that, but the idea of calling someone family members and contacts just to make the person pay, is a no, no for me. The reason I changed my mind when I wanted to get one.

If you are planning to purchase a tokunbo car, visit my signature to learn how you can import clean Tokunbo cars yourself from the U.S and Canada while saving not less than N500,000 naira on each car purchase.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Paypal In Nigeria: A Blessing Or Curse To Internet Marketers / Naira Plunges At Interbank Market / ABCON: Bureaux De Change Tell FG To Ban Binance To Save Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.