Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Share Your Worst Business Experience - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Share Your Worst Business Experience (16369 Views)

Share Your Worst Broke Moments Experiences In Life / I Am Starting My First Business With No Prior Business Experience / What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Lamanii22(f): 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
Dubetex96:
I thought the provisions business is lucrative I'm even planning to open one. Please i will like to know more about the business.
Please can i get your number

Even me.... I'm thinking of getting a shop.... Cause I think it's an everyday market.
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by smeag0l(m): 8:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
Exactly. Even to get half of my money I know who and who I contacted in this country. Even at that, the money didn't come.out for free. I had to pay 10% of it to the facilitators.
armadeo:

The knly one worth doing is the one that you have a partner in the pay office or a strong man as a background investor.

Asides that forget it.

Make I no talk wetin my eye don see for contract matter.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by authority2006(m): 8:31pm On Aug 24, 2021
Veryfoolishboy:
I don't like to sound tribalistic but I will still convey my message.

I ventured into catfish business.
After raising money to feed the fishes for months, hausa people came in the Early morning and packed my fishes.

I sold the remaining few we could find in the pond. Such is life

That's the number one challenge and risk facing fish farm in Nigeria, thieves! Then rain in the raining season most especially in the month of August. Then, dubious and exploitative buyers.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by authority2006(m): 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oyerinde16:
I have being investing in commodities since 2013, I had never made a loss, come 2018 I got money from angel investors even from Niaraland, raised almost #10m (9.cool I bought commodities as usual (beans) treated it and stored it at the warehouse, only for customs to close the boarder, the way price of commodities fell in the market was shocking to say the least, a bag I bought for 22k was selling for btw 9-11k I refused to sell and tried very hard to convince investors not to sell at the peak period, prices managed to rise to 15-16k, with mounting pressure, with an imminent harvest at the corner and another downward price Summersault, I reluctantly sold at a heavy loss we made loss of 7k per bag, lost a lot of investors the following year ... But last year, we bought beans at 22k and sold this month at 52k per bag... Interested persons should contact me in Oct ending, Nov-Dec...

You didn't tell us what your angel investors lost or they didn't lose their money?
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Kiddogarcia(m): 8:48pm On Aug 24, 2021
lordsniel:
I am interested in this pls message me on WhatsApp with the number on my footer
me too, just need another side Hussle,09026963421
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by kingscare1(m): 8:49pm On Aug 24, 2021
spritedmalcomx:

Do you have howo trucks ??

Yes.
Chat on WhatsApp
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by debbydams(f): 8:53pm On Aug 24, 2021
authority2006:

Everything you wrote there is quite some experience, I love that entrepreneurship spirit. And you sounded like you could really use some help. You deserve all the applause. And your last sentence is really a sad reality in our society.
hmm thanks, I find peace talking here even my mom don fight Me,that since I started whats my gain? I will be doing like a strong girl when shes talking (she will say akuku ri koko shop tounlo) but I'll wake up in the middle of the night and cry,I developed chest pain because of excess crying..reason why I joke here at least to forget my worries for some time..doing business now In Nigeria is not easy oo..worst part people won't be believe u are broke.now noodles nd spag has added another extra money again..hmmm it is well. Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by authority2006(m): 9:05pm On Aug 24, 2021
debbydams:
hmm thanks, I find peace talking here even my mom don fight Me,that since I started whats my gain? I will be doing like a strong girl when shes talking (she will say akuku ri koko shop tounlo) but I'll wake up in the middle of the night and cry,I developed chest pain because of excess crying..reason why I joke here at least to forget my worries for some time..doing business now In Nigeria is not easy oo..worst part people won't be believe u are broke. now noodles nd spag has added another extra money again. hmmm it is well. Thanks

Glad to hear that last sentence. As long as you don't relent, you will find one business that will be yours permanently. Talking from experience.
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Zico777(m): 9:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
gbengaoyeladun:
I don't like to remember the incident... I venture into farming business that was introduce to me by a friend ...I bought snails of about#200k and the next morning I don't see anything again..they all walk away
grin Village people @ work.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Zico777(m): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2021
Oyerinde16:
I have being investing in commodities since 2013, I had never made a loss, come 2018 I got money from angel investors even from Niaraland, raised almost #10m (9.cool I bought commodities as usual (beans) treated it and stored it at the warehouse, only for customs to close the boarder, the way price of commodities fell in the market was shocking to say the least, a bag I bought for 22k was selling for btw 9-11k I refused to sell and tried very hard to convince investors not to sell at the peak period, prices managed to rise to 15-16k, with mounting pressure, with an imminent harvest at the corner and another downward price Summersault, I reluctantly sold at a heavy loss we made loss of 7k per bag, lost a lot of investors the following year... But last year, we bought beans at 22k and sold this month at 52k per bag... Interested persons should contact me in Oct ending, Nov-Dec...
Wow that's business for u!
I hope say no be una dey take sniper dey treat foodstuff?
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 24, 2021
Cheeryfeet:

Please what lesson did you learn. How do you prevent Government from owing you I'm contract?

Execute ONLY to the stage of percentage mobilization paid you.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Shellsploit: 9:59pm On Aug 24, 2021
gbengaoyeladun:
I don't like to remember the incident... I venture into farming business that was introduce to me by a friend ...I bought snails of about#200k and the next morning I don't see anything again..they all walk away

Funniest comment i have upon so far..
Bro, are you for real? grin
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Aestheticsdude(m): 10:49pm On Aug 24, 2021
BrBox:

It is, if you go into wholesales and you did u take time to survey ur business location.

My business location also gave me a lot of headache; I forgot to include that in my initial response.
alright, thanks boss
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by lifenija: 10:52pm On Aug 24, 2021
Lamanii22:

grin grin grin same here... Even my siblings will not allow my chinchin to rest! They'd be like "let me help you to taste it, hmmm it's sweet"

Meanwhile I'm still selling, nairalanders please patronize me....
send me some let me taste

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Enosa1(m): 11:05pm On Aug 24, 2021
inigoig:

I had to log in just to thank you for this...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by uncleck: 11:33pm On Aug 24, 2021
I planted pineapple orchard. The very first fruit was eaten by thieves. The second, the third... Guess what? I never had a taste of a single fruit from my farm. This is farm I traveled hours to purchase the suckers. I just left the farm for grass to overgrow it and wildfire helped me finish up...

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Cheeryfeet: 12:29am On Aug 25, 2021
inigoig:

Wow. Thanks Man.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by paito: 1:17am On Aug 25, 2021
I saw an advertisement on nairaland by a guy ceejay whom I know it will not be well with him and branchless POS, because I love Nigeria, transferred 60k to their platform using flutterwave next day to transfer to customer it was problem hold flutterwave but was able to get 15k back though our matter is now be presented to cbn but the most painful part is I got the money from smecarbon on loan, though now switched to opay but the branchless will never see light of the day, I prefer to employ Indians, Asians than Nigerians who will not care how you got your capital
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by edoman2016: 1:41am On Aug 25, 2021
uncleck:
I planted pineapple orchard. The very first fruit was eaten by thieves. The second, the third... Guess what? I never had a taste of a single fruit from my farm. This is farm I traveled hours to purchase the suckers. I just left the farm for grass to overgrow it and wildfire helped me finish up...
how many plots of land was your pineapple orchard? And how much is price of a sucker?
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by dammywapes(m): 5:24am On Aug 25, 2021
O se
Lamanii22:

Awwwwn... Kpele hun

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by debbydams(f): 6:55am On Aug 25, 2021
authority2006:

Glad to hear that last sentence. As long as you don't relent, you will find one business that will be yours permanently. Talking from experience.
no business is easy,there will always be challenges[b][/b]

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by debbydams(f): 7:04am On Aug 25, 2021
Lamanii22:

Even me.... I'm thinking of getting a shop.... Cause I think it's an everyday market.
provisions is a very good job,,but location Nd capital is very essential..

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 25, 2021
Enosa1:
I had to log in just to thank you for this...

You welcome, bless.
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 25, 2021
Cheeryfeet:

Wow. Thanks Man.
Bless
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 25, 2021
debbydams:
Hummm..I'm into Prov nd food stuffs nd I sell in student area I was doing fine before the lockdown, lockdown came all the student traveled, it Was just the villagers so I stopped the provision I focused on the food stuffs part

I start buying bag of garri den it was 27,000,bag of rice semo and the likes..On this faithful day Ibought two bags of rice not knowing one was good the other one is full of sand it was when I got to shop I noticed I loosed 22k,

During the lock down I manage to open, from where I am to the market is 250naira but because of the lock down I take bike which will cost me 1k to meet up because of the curfew,initially when I'm going back I spend 1200 on tfare but due to the lockdown I spend 3k 4k,there was a time I got stranded.it continues nd everything started going down, I still have to pay for my shop rent embarassed hummm
I started doing peanut using my hand cos I can't afford the machine but groundnut and floor went up even nylon is very expensive I had to stop.
This year I'm trying to pash it up..started doing little contribution I was able to stand little by little,now food stuffs is extremely expensive we buy vegetable oil 10,500 its not 26000, semo 10kg is now double compared to the amount we used to buy,everything is now too expensive,before if with 30k I will buy enof but now with 60k I won't be able to buy anything because I'll want to cover everything..plus sales is down dull lately..

hum mm going business its not easy at all,,there's limit to what I eat..I can't make my hair frequently to cut expenses down,,once I go broke no body will even borrow me money ,I'm broke now sef even the ones that want to borrow will want to get down with me..hmmmm
Wow.. God is in control
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Afromentalist: 10:35am On Aug 25, 2021
authority2006:
[/b]

How's that good for you as an investor?

A negative yield is not good for a Bond investor (though it depends on one's goals), but for a cash flow investor like me it makes it very easy to beat inflation. I can buy any asset whose yield is about 3% and earning growth is increasing, and I am very sure to preserve my capital and make profits. In Nigeria, most of your profits are wiped out by inflation, you need to consistently make 15% profits a year to actually break even, inflation/devaluation taken into account.

The point was however to show how other countries are maintaining a reasonable level of inflation.
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by uncleck: 10:39am On Aug 25, 2021
edoman2016:
how many plots of land was your pineapple orchard? And how much is price of a sucker?
Just two plots. I can't remember the price, it's been long. It was early 2000 during my secondary school days
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by BabaIbo: 11:42am On Aug 25, 2021
Remag666:
I think you should have called him and strike a compromise in the end both of you lost out but na him own worse

Na person wey dey reachable person dey siddon discuss with na.

He blocked every means of communication, even his secretary's number was no longer reachable.

I had no option than to do what I did.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by Mekudi: 11:45am On Aug 25, 2021
AlhajiBitcoin:

When the mechanic knows you are a new car owner, that's how it ends with an old car.

My first Honda did the same even after changing engine. I sold it to my mechanic yet he drove it for many years and resold it.

Are you surprised ??
since you changed the engine,your car supposed to be okay
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by BabaIbo: 11:46am On Aug 25, 2021
SavageResponse:

Greed and dishonesty is in the DNA of most Nigerians. It's good to know you dealt with the guy!

No be lie bro.

I'm telling you, reason why I don't trust people again.

Na wetin I take calm myself that year when the pain of the failed business broke me down, even made me cry at a point.
Re: Share Your Worst Business Experience by BabaIbo: 11:47am On Aug 25, 2021
Veryfoolishboy:
you did well

Abi na, thanks bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Akure Traders Observe "Du Du Du" (no Market Day) Today (photos) / Food Inflation In Nigeria Rises To 17.38% As Inflation Rate Jumps To 14.23% / NCC Okays Disconnection Of USSD Services For Banks Over N120bn Debt – Telecom Op

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.