Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market (25898 Views)

What Is The Salary Structure For SSCE Holders In FRSC? / What's The Hope For Ond Holders In Searching For A Job. / Nigerian Navy Recruitment Of HND, Bsc Holders For 2019, 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Ramanto(m): 10:06pm On Aug 23, 2021
I had this experience at a job interview that really got me worried. The aptitude test/interview venue was crowded with young and vibrant job seekers from different states and academic backgrounds. I spoke with one of the candidates who said he traveled for twelve hours just to make it to the test centre, and he's lodging in a hotel.

We all fell calm when one of the conductors of the test came out to address us. He announced that all HND holders should go back home, stating that the organisation doesn't recruit Polytechnic graduates. Unfortunately, the guy I met initially who traveled for 12 good hours was an HND holder. He felt really sad. By his expression, I knew he was wishing he turn back the hands of time and start all afresh with BSc this time around. As if to confirm my guess, he said he'd enroll for a degree course. Trying to make him feel less disturbed, I told him that if HND was the issue, he won't have seen a crowd of unemployed youths here as most of them were University graduates. I, for instance graduated with a 2 1 in economics since 2018, yet I'm struggling with job. If having an HND result was a reason for unemployment, having a university degree would have been the solution.

We keep hearing the law makers say they've abolished the dichotomy between University graduates and Polytechnic graduates, yet employers are doing as they please. Why not stop Polytechnic if it's no longer revelant in today's world rather than subjecting innocent people to inferiority complex? No one cares how intelligent you are as a Polytechnic graduate, you won't even have the opportunity to prove yourself. Worst of all, you will see something like "third class/HND. How do these belong in the same level?

110 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 23, 2021
That's painful... In real sense it hasn't been abolished.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by wentroublecomes: 4:46am On Aug 24, 2021
Government should look into this

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by aylive02(m): 6:09am On Aug 24, 2021
I don't just understand this discrimination. Lot of HND grads are far better than university graduates and vice versa. If I could remember, Government don remove this dichotomy more than 5 times but the thing still dey there. Private sectors hate to hear the word polytechnic. It's only government jobs that do not discriminate

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by money121(m): 5:11pm On Aug 24, 2021
Seen

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by lasthero: 5:11pm On Aug 24, 2021
I'm sure the company must have stated it during job posting. Something like " Requirement: bachelor / first degree from a reputable Nigerian University".

But as job seeker, stubborn head will make us apply for any job either qualifications are met or not.

BTW, discrimination of hnd is bad, I experienced this at stanbic bank where BSc contract staffs are converted to full time staff while the hnds are left behind

26 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by StayMotivated: 5:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
Nairalanders please help me i need a job. I concluded my NYSC in 2019, I'm presently working at a place here in Lagos where i earn 20k per month. Please guys help me i beg you in the name of God. i can send my CV for further information. Thanks in advance.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by orohbiro(f): 5:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
Education na scam business is the way just finish secondary school get sense every nothing go fall into place. Though am a graduate sha

6 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by 5Man54: 5:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
This country don cast

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Amspecial: 5:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
grin
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Adaorababy(f): 5:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
I can relate to this dehumanizing treatment. The dichotomy does not end in when applying for jobs. Even when you're working in that company. You can't go beyond a step on the ladder as an HND graduate. Many times, HND holders are used as contract staff while their BSC counterparts are permanent staff. Very dehumanizing. However, in all fairness, it's easier to get a job as an HND holder than as a BSc holder because they are subjected to meagre pay and most Nigerian firms follow the use and dump approach.

I started to notice this disparity during NYSC whilst commencing the orientation registration process. I heard something like this. Graduates from Federal universities, form first line., Foreign universities, second line Private university, third line, state university, fourth line, Federal and State polytechnics, be on the 5th line and colleges the 6th line.
That profiling was all shades of wrong on every side. As I was waiting for my category to be called, I remember how my self esteem dropped drastically. Seeing most of the polished in first, second, third and fourth lines and I had to just be on the fifth line. Why The annoying thing is that many people in the 5th and 6th lines looked one kind. Majority of them had natural low self esteem, could not communicate properly, and looked very dull. I felt bad that a bright HND holder like me that graduated with distinction in Banking & Finance could be ridiculed this way. Because of this, throughout my three weeks in camp, I refused to participate in camp activities. Although, it was not difficult to get a job in the financial sector, in fact, I was employed within 4months of completing the NYSC one year program but I could not also watch people that were still in secondary school while I already joined the bank, graduate from the University and become my boss. They had promotions, better career path, were giving cars while my salary remained same for 9years as a contract staff. This was what led to me quitting working in the bank despite my long years of working in the bank and having a PGD and masters and performing excellently well in my designated functions. I was angry that even though, the dichotomy between HND and BSC prevented me from being converted, why wasn't I converted despite furthering and having a masters degree?

School is scam!!! Nigeria is scam!!!

150 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by goldtube(m): 5:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
grin
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Ejlove4u(m): 5:13pm On Aug 24, 2021
go university you say you one go poly. now you the quarrel

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by temitope27(m): 5:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ik
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Mikester: 5:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
The main reason I advice young people to learn a business or skill. We see a lot of graduates leaving the university everyday only to become job hunters for a long period of time or poorly employed.

There is nothing better than having a business or a skill you do with your hands. Formal education should be a plus.

9 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by oyigah(m): 5:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
But honestly speaking, polytechnic graduates are...........

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
Sorry HND holders.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by temitope27(m): 5:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ok
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by rowland545(m): 5:15pm On Aug 24, 2021
When will the govt finally remove d HND and bsc wahala

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by KensonAbule(m): 5:15pm On Aug 24, 2021
Discrimination.
One of the reasons, I never wanted to pick them, I have to keep rewriting till I finally made it to a federal uni.

16 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Sunisonflex39(m): 5:15pm On Aug 24, 2021
Are we still on this...

Well I have debated this before.. Check my signature
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by EyezofGod120: 5:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
grin thank God,as a computer scientist and a HND holder,,me no need any government or private company to employ me,,na dem go dey look for me

39 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by lagusboyyy(m): 5:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
The company only used the HND stuff to reduce the mass turnout of job seekers a little.

Even having a P.hD does not mean anything in the labour market. It will get to a point that its only job seekers with first class degree that will even be considered.

Lord help us.

18 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 5:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
Sorry Op. Go buy Direct Entry or create employment...

E no easy. Na 9ja be this

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by orohbiro(f): 5:16pm On Aug 24, 2021
5Man54:
This country don cast
the country na scam

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Meedon: 5:17pm On Aug 24, 2021
This ain't funny mhen, what that nigga gonna do now.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Bngf: 5:17pm On Aug 24, 2021
Yeah
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by voltront: 5:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
Sad.
I have both.

No particular one makes one better than the other.

Your development is actually based on your interest and zeal to learn

At the work place, sadly the discrimination is real. You will find the good in both cases and the terrible also.

10 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by udemzyudex(m): 5:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
Sue the useless organisation.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by gurunlocker: 5:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
And the fact is most polytechnic graduates are good with practicals and coming up with something great compared to a university graduate!

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Meedon: 5:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
KensonAbule:
Discrimination.
One of the reasons, I never wanted to pick them, I have to keep rewriting till I finally made it to a federal uni.

You go old now

Kwantinew

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Call Center Representatives / Vacancies At Main One Cable Nigeria / Rochas To Pay All Unemployed Imo Graduates Monthly Allowances.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.