Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market (25902 Views)

What Is The Salary Structure For SSCE Holders In FRSC? / What's The Hope For Ond Holders In Searching For A Job. / Nigerian Navy Recruitment Of HND, Bsc Holders For 2019, 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by edunaragold(f): 5:48pm On Aug 24, 2021
Adaorababy:
I can relate to this dehumanizing treatment. The dichotomy does not end in when applying for jobs. Even when you're working in that company. You can't go beyond some ladders as an HND graduate. Many times, HND holders are used as contract staff while their BSC counterparts are permanent staff. Very dehumanizing. However, in all fairness, it's easier to get a job as an HND holder than as a BSc holder because they are subjected to meagre pay and most Nigerian firms follow the use and dump approach.

I started to notice this disparity during NYSC whilst commencing the orientation registration process. I heared something like this. Graduates from Federal universities, form first line., Foreign universities, second line Private university, third line, state university, fourth line, Federal and State polytechnical, be on the 5th line and colleges the 6th line.
That discrimination was all shades of wrong on every side. As I was waiting for my category to be called, I remember how my self esteem dropped drastically. Seeing most of the polished in first, second, third and fourth lines and I had to just be on the fifth line. Why The annoying thing is that many people in the 5th and 6th lines looked one kind. Majority of them had natural low self esteem, could not communicate properly, and looked very dull. I felt bad that a bright HND holder like me that graduated with distinction in Banking & Finance could be ridiculed this way. Because of this, throughout my three weeks in camp, I refused to participate in camp activities. Although, it was not difficult to get a job in the financial sector, in fact, I was employed within 4months of completing the NYSC one year program but I could not also watch people that were still in secondary school while I already joined the bank, graduate from the University and become my boss. They had promotions, better career path, were giving cars while my salary remained same for 9years as a contract staff. This was what led to me quitting working in the bank despite my long years of working in the bank and having a PGD and masters and performing excellently well in my designated functions. I was angry that even though, the dichotomy between HND and BSC prevented me from being converted, why wasn't I converted despite furthering and having a masters degree?

School is scam!!! Nigeria is scam!!!
thank God am employed in Nigeria air force with common technical college sat ,and my salaries and allowance is almost 150,make I hold my job tight o,kia this life no balance am proud to be a soldier in the air force with my hand work oo,any way let me take my time n build my house and become a landlord first before I think or contemplate to further .thank u Lord

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Kingosytex(m): 5:50pm On Aug 24, 2021
Bottomofpussy:
Why person go enter poly sef.......na to go waste ur time na.........at d end of d day, u go still blame ursef....... discrimination too much....wen we Dy unn, we Dy see polytechnic student as time wasters, we Dy look down on dem....d tin make my guy(Austin) wey Dy IMT write kom join us for d lions den. He ended up studying electronics engineering......... never allow ur enemy pikin go polytechnic.......job sef no even Dy........God bless Sullivan chime

Great Lion!!
I'm a Super Lion, graduated in 2017.
Studied Civil Engineering.
How's the den?

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by chiedozie198100: 5:52pm On Aug 24, 2021
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by flabszy(m): 5:53pm On Aug 24, 2021
orohbiro:
Education na scam business is the way just finish secondary school get sense every nothing go fall into place. Though am a graduate sha

If you see any opportunity to make use of your certificate for a nice paying job, won't you? We all understand that education in this country is messed up already, but we still have hope that one day the certificate can still be useful. Either to use it to secure a job or leave the country via scholarship.

Don't discourage people abeg

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by UncleJudax(m): 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2021
aylive02:
I don't just understand this discrimination. Lot of HND grads are far better than university graduates and vice versa. If I could remember, Government don remove this dichotomy more than 5 times but the thing still dey there. Private sectors hate to hear the word polytechnic. It's only government jobs that do not discriminate
maybe the private sector know something the Government dont. Both the unis and Polys need major improvement. You cannot use the government to judge anything...we all know their workers are not necessarily rewarded based on performance....

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Angelfrost(m): 5:58pm On Aug 24, 2021
Ejlove4u:
go university you say you one go poly. now you the quarrel

If both qualifications are equivalent (Which they ought to be), then the tertiary institution attended shouldn't matter...

The company is supposed to test all of them, and judge by their overall performances both in written and oral assessments.

Besides, finishing from a university is not even the final stage of education. Learning is a continuum.

This nation is just backward in everything! Sigh!

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by msmon(m): 5:59pm On Aug 24, 2021
Vinnie2000:

OP
PLEASE DON'T BE ANGRY!! Let me Tell You the Honest Truth!

The reason for the dichotomy or perceived segregation b/w Poly and Uni graduates is mostly due to the Process of their getting admissions.

Polytechnic undergraduates get the Admission all too Easy due to Low Cut-off marks..
All Tom, Dick and Becky gets admitted and Most are Dull or uninterested in Education..
One in my State Delta, Otefe-Oghara, It's like it Harbours all The small small Yahoo Boys in Warri and environs! undecided

But in University, those admitted Most times have written Jamb/Post ume like 2,3x..
Hence somehow making dem More Academically sound than their Poly counterparts!!
Also, Most students go into Polytechnics with Low motivation because of the issue you raised hence they perform poorly in School!
While University new intakes are always Charged n Motivated because of incentives attached to First Class!!

So OP.
The Nigerian society will always Place University graduates Over Poly graduates!!

But Your Institution graduated from shouldn't hold you Back! sad
Billionaires, Magnates, Entertainers, etc graduated from Polytechnics and are Very Successful! smiley

However, being academically sound doesn't ensure you will be a sound employee.

5 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 24, 2021
[quote author=orohbiro post=105138495]Education na scam business is the way just finish secondary school get sense every nothing go fall into place. Though am a graduate. It depends on your grade and discipline. Nothing like a scam. Study any medical course and have rest of mind. I pick up an employment when I was still serving. Nothing like having a secured job. Go into business in Nigeria and understand what I'm saying. Only taxes will send you to an early grave
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Elsueno: 6:03pm On Aug 24, 2021

I have HND, BSc & MSc....does it look like jobs dey rush me.....Na just Street hustle...

Ur type of degree isn't whats preventing u from getting a job... there is simply too many graduates & Nigeria itself is the worlds headquarters for corruption & nepotism

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Decentdave(m): 6:04pm On Aug 24, 2021
I don't believe in this dichotomy.i will tell u there are many Bsc holders with Blockheads.what matters most is what u can offer.i am an HND holder in engineering. I have rejected more than 4jobs offers from big organisations. They negotiate pay whenever I go for interview as citing my CV.my brother and sister u need to be have skills to market so u will be hot cake.Even though am currently managing one of the biggest multinationals with a good pay ,am still hoping to go higher

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Gidagreen(m): 6:04pm On Aug 24, 2021
OP is actually the HND holder here for him not to understand that a degree is different from diploma.

In the advance World diploma is still Diploma, no matter how you coin it, call it higher, lower, college, or Pro Diploma, it's still Diploma in advance countries. And its not possible to compare degree and diploma.

Don't waste your time mentioning me, just go and get a degree. I already know you are brilliant, you don't need to tell me.

7 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Yansham: 6:05pm On Aug 24, 2021
I had a roommate in university who had OND but decided to write JAMB and gain admission to the university. This guy made a First Class in Civil Engineering.

This goes to void the narration that polytechnic graduates are not sound.

During the NYSC orientation camp, I saw university graduates who were not sound and I also saw polytechnic graduates who were not sound.

If you are dull, you are dull. So whether you attend university or polytechnic, it has nothing to do with the institution.

9 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by fitinwell: 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
Even the President has only Primary Six certificate... And he is so irrelevant

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Lastmankc(m): 6:07pm On Aug 24, 2021
Kingosytex:

Great Lion!!
I'm a Super Lion, graduated in 2017.
Studied Civil Engineering.
How's the den?
Shut up.Can you withstand a foreign graduate?When you move out of the country,then you will understand how useless Nigeria education and certificate are
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Gidagreen(m): 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2021
Elsueno:

I have HND, BSc & MSc....does it look like jobs dey rush me.....Na just Street hustle...

Ur type of degree isn't whats preventing u from getting a job... there is simply too many graduates & Nigeria itself is the worlds headquarters for corruption & nepotism
please, you people should stop saying there are too many graduates, simply say there is no job creation. We still need more graduates in Nigeria. The literacy level is still very low in Nigeria. Graduates are not enough, government need to create jobs and enabling environment for labour capital to flourish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by zeenaman: 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2021
Gidagreen:
OP is actually the HND holder here for him not to understand that a degree is different from diploma. In the advance World diploma is still Diploma, no matter how you coin it, call it higher, lower, college, or Pro Diploma, it's still Diploma in advance countries. And its not possible to compare degree and diploma. Don't waste your time mentioning me, just go and get a degree. I already know you are brilliant, you don't need to tell me.
Permit me to ask how you managed to know he's brilliant.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by LoneWolf200(m): 6:17pm On Aug 24, 2021
That write-up was true, it happened in Enugu
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by 24brains(m): 6:17pm On Aug 24, 2021
"He said he'd enrol for a degree course"
Abeg use the money take start business.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Gidagreen(m): 6:19pm On Aug 24, 2021
zeenaman:

Permit me to ask how you managed to know he's brilliant.
that's what most HND holder will claim whenever there is an argument on this matter.

I just which they can go and try how challenging it is to acquire a degree in a standard university before they can rate themselves
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by AyebaAyiba: 6:19pm On Aug 24, 2021
Someone once told me that the reason why people discriminate is because even the cut off to get admission into the polytechnic is lesser than that of an average university. Why will I compare University graduates with polytechnic graduates. They are not same.

I don't just understand this discrimination. Lot of HND grads are far better than university graduates and vice versa. If I could remember, Government don remove this dichotomy more than 5 times but the thing still dey there. Private sectors hate to hear the word polytechnic. It's only government jobs that do not discriminate[/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by zeenaman: 6:23pm On Aug 24, 2021
Gidagreen:
that's what most HND holder will claim whenever there is an argument on this matter.

I just which they can go and try how challenging it is to acquire a degree in a standard university before they can rate themselves
Sir, are you an igala from kogi State?
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Mummyimbecile(m): 6:24pm On Aug 24, 2021
StayMotivated:
Nairalanders please help me i need a job. I concluded my NYSC in 2019, I'm presently working at a place here in Lagos where i earn 20k per month. Please guys help me i beg you in the name of God. i can send my CV for further information. Thanks in advance.
bro, you are lucky to have that, lots of graduates are looking for such!

20k in this Nigeria economy?... I sent 200$ to a friend and he told me the money finished in less than 3weeks.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 24, 2021
Let's be honest. To get into polytechnic is far easier. With low cut off and all.

They both can't be the same. If polytechnic don't offer postgraduate degrees, you guys should forget it.

You all should go do small research, why was polytechnics established.

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by adecz: 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
▶️▶️▶️▶️▶️▶️▶️▶️ ❌❌❌◀️◀️◀️◀️◀️◀️◀️

On its own, HND no be bad thing.

The problem arise when people want
to equate it with BSc degree.

The founding fathers knew why they
made entry requirements for polytechnics
to be lower than for universities.

Even entry point into Civil service for
HND holders was 07 & 08 for BSc.

Overnight, politicians who are mostly
HND holders want to equalize them.

❌❌❌ It can NEVER happen❗️❗️

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by worldphilip(f): 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
gurunlocker:
And the fact is most polytechnic graduates are good with practicals and coming up with something great compared to a university graduate!

In civil service, the difference has been abolished. People employed with HND were upgraded and placed on level 8 with effect to the date it was signed into law in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by SmartPolician: 6:36pm On Aug 24, 2021
gurunlocker:
And the fact is most polytechnic graduates are good with practicals and coming up with something great compared to a university graduate!

What practical are you talking about and this country is still a shithole? undecided While it's unfair to discriminate against HND holders, I strongly believe that BSc holders from Nigeria's federal universities are the best we have around here. In fact, JAMB, in my time, was a lot harder than poly-JAMB. I am stating this based on personal interactions and experience.

Yes, I have worked in several sectors and interacted with many professionals. Like someone rightly stated, if Nigeria is not ready to treat HND holders fairly, all polytechnics should be converted to universities. Everyone deserves equal opportunities to compete and prove their mettle.

5 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by OgThanos: 6:36pm On Aug 24, 2021
Adaorababy:
I can relate to this dehumanizing treatment. The dichotomy does not end in when applying for jobs. Even when you're working in that company. You can't go beyond a step on the ladder as an HND graduate. Many times, HND holders are used as contract staff while their BSC counterparts are permanent staff. Very dehumanizing. However, in all fairness, it's easier to get a job as an HND holder than as a BSc holder because they are subjected to meagre pay and most Nigerian firms follow the use and dump approach.

I started to notice this disparity during NYSC whilst commencing the orientation registration process. I heared something like this. Graduates from Federal universities, form first line., Foreign universities, second line Private university, third line, state university, fourth line, Federal and State polytechnics, be on the 5th line and colleges the 6th line.
That discrimination was all shades of wrong on every side. As I was waiting for my category to be called, I remember how my self esteem dropped drastically. Seeing most of the polished in first, second, third and fourth lines and I had to just be on the fifth line. Why The annoying thing is that many people in the 5th and 6th lines looked one kind. Majority of them had natural low self esteem, could not communicate properly, and looked very dull. I felt bad that a bright HND holder like me that graduated with distinction in Banking & Finance could be ridiculed this way. Because of this, throughout my three weeks in camp, I refused to participate in camp activities. Although, it was not difficult to get a job in the financial sector, in fact, I was employed within 4months of completing the NYSC one year program but I could not also watch people that were still in secondary school while I already joined the bank, graduate from the University and become my boss. They had promotions, better career path, were giving cars while my salary remained same for 9years as a contract staff. This was what led to me quitting working in the bank despite my long years of working in the bank and having a PGD and masters and performing excellently well in my designated functions. I was angry that even though, the dichotomy between HND and BSC prevented me from being converted, why wasn't I converted despite furthering and having a masters degree?

School is scam!!! Nigeria is scam!!!

Wow wow wow...
I'm in my final year, yabatech. And I'm already feeling like.. damn

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by sammirano: 6:41pm On Aug 24, 2021
Op. answer this question honestly. Is economics offered in any polytechnic in Nigeria, Medicine and surgery, Civil law.? if not. there is a clear difference between poly and uni. Thank you

5 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by nurain150(m): 6:41pm On Aug 24, 2021
gurunlocker:
Lol that is what a poly trains you to do, a university is theory oriented
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 24, 2021
Sheriman:
Nigeria is a useless country!! And by the way I am very surprised to see what some job seekers are going through after reading this thread. People still looking for Jobs? I will just say people should stop searching for job that is not available. The era of believing only on paper certificate is gone, please diversify to digital skills.
You can learn 3D Animation, Illustration designing, graphics designing, programming, video editor, photography, painting, electrician, data scientist, UI/UX designing, blockchain development, AWS development, AI development, Manga Artist, Comic Artist, AutoCAD designing, AutoRevit designing and many more. People should invest their time and money in any of these things. The era of having only paper certificate is gone in Nigeria

You think they'll listen? I make more than half a mill monthly thanks to my writing skill.

This means I earn more than some folks working 9-5 jobs in an oil company lol...

Digital skill is the way, but the problem most folks encounter is dedicating time to learn.

Imagine dedicating a year or more to learning, without thinking of earning.

It's hard, the reason why they'd prefer to keep looking for a job!

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by kadbid(m): 6:48pm On Aug 24, 2021
I am a product of both system, I know what each is worth. I recently got Both results evaluated by WES and the HND that is not respected here is evaluated to be Equivalent to Bachelors degree in the United States and accorded all privileges of a Bachelors degree.
I think the government should be serious about the removal of the dichotomy. The Polytechnic curriculum can stand shoulder to shoulder with any University Curriculum ( My belief anyway). I had to go get the Bachelors because my professional body would not register an HND holder to the top cadre of the profession.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by OgThanos: 6:49pm On Aug 24, 2021
kpompey:
Who will teach me yahoo
Slawonir..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Call Center Representatives / Rochas To Pay All Unemployed Imo Graduates Monthly Allowances. / Vacancies At Main One Cable Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.