Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market (25938 Views)

What Is The Salary Structure For SSCE Holders In FRSC? / What's The Hope For Ond Holders In Searching For A Job. / Nigerian Navy Recruitment Of HND, Bsc Holders For 2019, 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by anochuko01(m): 9:17pm On Aug 24, 2021
Adaorababy:
I can relate to this dehumanizing treatment. The dichotomy does not end in when applying for jobs. Even when you're working in that company. You can't go beyond a step on the ladder as an HND graduate. Many times, HND holders are used as contract staff while their BSC counterparts are permanent staff. Very dehumanizing. However, in all fairness, it's easier to get a job as an HND holder than as a BSc holder because they are subjected to meagre pay and most Nigerian firms follow the use and dump approach.

I started to notice this disparity during NYSC whilst commencing the orientation registration process. I heard something like this. Graduates from Federal universities, form first line., Foreign universities, second line Private university, third line, state university, fourth line, Federal and State polytechnics, be on the 5th line and colleges the 6th line.
That profiling was all shades of wrong on every side. As I was waiting for my category to be called, I remember how my self esteem dropped drastically. Seeing most of the polished in first, second, third and fourth lines and I had to just be on the fifth line. Why The annoying thing is that many people in the 5th and 6th lines looked one kind. Majority of them had natural low self esteem, could not communicate properly, and looked very dull. I felt bad that a bright HND holder like me that graduated with distinction in Banking & Finance could be ridiculed this way. Because of this, throughout my three weeks in camp, I refused to participate in camp activities. Although, it was not difficult to get a job in the financial sector, in fact, I was employed within 4months of completing the NYSC one year program but I could not also watch people that were still in secondary school while I already joined the bank, graduate from the University and become my boss. They had promotions, better career path, were giving cars while my salary remained same for 9years as a contract staff. This was what led to me quitting working in the bank despite my long years of working in the bank and having a PGD and masters and performing excellently well in my designated functions. I was angry that even though, the dichotomy between HND and BSC prevented me from being converted, why wasn't I converted despite furthering and having a masters degree?

School is scam!!! Nigeria is scam!!!

I'm really sorry about your plight. It's well...
However, hnd graduates need to understand that pgd is only useful in the educational sector. It's better to face the stress of getting a bcs rather than a pgd
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Mpanyi: 9:28pm On Aug 24, 2021
Adaorababy:
I can relate to this dehumanizing treatment. The dichotomy does not end in when applying for jobs. Even when you're working in that company. You can't go beyond a step on the ladder as an HND graduate. Many times, HND holders are used as contract staff while their BSC counterparts are permanent staff. Very dehumanizing. However, in all fairness, it's easier to get a job as an HND holder than as a BSc holder because they are subjected to meagre pay and most Nigerian firms follow the use and dump approach.

I started to notice this disparity during NYSC whilst commencing the orientation registration process. I heard something like this. Graduates from Federal universities, form first line., Foreign universities, second line Private university, third line, state university, fourth line, Federal and State polytechnics, be on the 5th line and colleges the 6th line.
That profiling was all shades of wrong on every side. As I was waiting for my category to be called, I remember how my self esteem dropped drastically. Seeing most of the polished in first, second, third and fourth lines and I had to just be on the fifth line. Why The annoying thing is that many people in the 5th and 6th lines looked one kind. Majority of them had natural low self esteem, could not communicate properly, and looked very dull. I felt bad that a bright HND holder like me that graduated with distinction in Banking & Finance could be ridiculed this way. Because of this, throughout my three weeks in camp, I refused to participate in camp activities. Although, it was not difficult to get a job in the financial sector, in fact, I was employed within 4months of completing the NYSC one year program but I could not also watch people that were still in secondary school while I already joined the bank, graduate from the University and become my boss. They had promotions, better career path, were giving cars while my salary remained same for 9years as a contract staff. This was what led to me quitting working in the bank despite my long years of working in the bank and having a PGD and masters and performing excellently well in my designated functions. I was angry that even though, the dichotomy between HND and BSC prevented me from being converted, why wasn't I converted despite furthering and having a masters degree?

School is scam!!! Nigeria is scam!!!

This hurts me

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Geesaintagape: 9:31pm On Aug 24, 2021
The Zoo method is a to frustrate the animals
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by perryy(m): 10:03pm On Aug 24, 2021
lasthero:
I'm sure the company must have stated it during job posting. Something like " Requirement: bachelor / first degree from a reputable Nigerian University".

But as job seeker, stubborn head will make us apply for any job either qualifications are met or not.

BTW, discrimination of hnd is bad, I experienced this at stanbic bank where BSc contract staffs are converted to full time staff while the hnds are left behind

No job seeker wouod go for an aptitude test when not invited.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Hassanmaye(m): 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2021
EyezofGod120:
grin thank God,as a computer scientist and a HND holder,,me no need any government or private company to employ me,,na dem go dey look for me
Sorry some computer science student can't operate Microsoft office package
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by EyezofGod120: 10:08pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Sorry some computer science student can't operate Microsoft office package
,,,u mean universities computer scientists can operate that

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Kingosytex(m): 10:40pm On Aug 24, 2021
Bottomofpussy:
I left unn long time ago, I stayed in odenigwe...Barth okolo was my vc

Also met Barth Okolo in 2011/2012 before Ozumba took over.
I stayed in Mbabefo during my first year but later relocated to behind flat and afterwards finished at Odim.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by StayMotivated: 10:48pm On Aug 24, 2021
Thanks boss I'm active on linkedin... I've submitted my CV for several job opening & vacancy on the platform. I know one day God will answer my prayers
CEOwatazs:

Is well bro.... Lil contribution, please in as much as some people will discourage you about this platform"LinkedIn" please join that platform and register with them, follow their daily vacancy update and keep applying, you'll certainly land a better offer their. I and some friends are testimonies.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Hassanmaye(m): 11:08pm On Aug 24, 2021
EyezofGod120:
,,,u mean universities computer scientists can operate that
My bro this is a fact I'm telling you, I have a relative who studied computer science in kadpoly he is teaching now in secondary school, he can't operate basic computer skill..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by EyezofGod120: 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2021
Hassanmaye:

My bro this is a fact I'm telling you, I have a relative who studied computer science in kadpoly he is teaching now in secondary school, he can't operate basic computer skill..
. Maybe dem no compulsory practiyfor the school

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Hassanmaye(m): 11:11pm On Aug 24, 2021
olojuede01:
Actually this is a wrong assertion. I have an HND but after finishing I have done over 15 certifications. Before you go into where is the money for it, I started my certification journey during my NYSC. I saved a fraction of my allowed monthly to fund it. Today I work with one of the largest organizations in the world. I have interviewed with so many global brands and most times, they rarely ask about my first degree. My advise is that you build yourself. Beyond your first degree what other skill/value will distinguish you?
You didn't tell us what you study in the university, but the truth most of the certification whether on Google or those obtain during NYSC are not that important. Is a reality, except professional certification like ICAN, NCIAB, ACIAB
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Hassanmaye(m): 11:14pm On Aug 24, 2021
Sheriman:
Nigeria is a useless country!! And by the way I am very surprised to see what some job seekers are going through after reading this thread. People still looking for Jobs? I will just say people should stop searching for job that is not available. The era of believing only on paper certificate is gone, please diversify to digital skills.
You can learn 3D Animation, Illustration designing, graphics designing, programming, video editor, photography, painting, electrician, data scientist, UI/UX designing, blockchain development, AWS development, AI development, Manga Artist, Comic Artist, AutoCAD designing, AutoRevit designing and many more. People should invest their time and money in any of these things. The era of having only paper certificate is gone in Nigeria
Bro some people want to genuinely learn some of this skills but they need money to Go through the skills, they have to eat and certisfy their basic wants which requires money, YouTube only gave you the basics you need money practical skill bro
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Elsueno: 11:17pm On Aug 24, 2021
Gidagreen:
please, you people should stop saying there are too many graduates, simply say there is no job creation. We still need more graduates in Nigeria. The literacy level is still very low in Nigeria. Graduates are not enough, government need to create jobs and enabling environment for labour capital to flourish.

Bros graduates plenty woh, over 100k go for NYSC EVERY YEAR, how many can the labor market absorb even if it's working efficiently?
Unpopular opinion, no be everybody needs to go to uni.....we don't need to churn out university graduates to improve literacy levels. What Nigeria needs is more technical colleges that produces more of different unique skill set graduates....98% of university graduates in Nigeria are just "administrators" except for courses like Medicine, pharmacy, Architecture, Arts, laws & Agriculture( These guys do some serious research dat actually produce results)

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Hassanmaye(m): 11:18pm On Aug 24, 2021
einsteine:
To a top up degree online, problem solved. Takes just one year. HND is not the same as Bachelor's. The diploma had a different reason from the degree. Unfortunately, Nigerian factor has come into play and the role of polytechnics has been misplaced. It's better to merge some of those polytechnics as campuses of university or change some of them to university.

There is a reason polytechnics don't have professors and are heavily focused on "practicals". The training of the poly graduates was to be a technician while that of the university is to be a manager.

In typical British education, at secondary level, those who are academically gifted went to "grammar school" and then proceeded to university. Those who were more technically/trade skilled went to technical school and then proceeded to polytechnics.

Wow I learn something today
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Hassanmaye(m): 11:21pm On Aug 24, 2021
edunaragold:
thank God am employed in Nigeria air force with common technical college sat ,and my salaries and allowance is almost 150,make I hold my job tight o,kia this life no balance am proud to be a soldier in the air force with my hand work oo,any way let me take my time n build my house and become a landlord first before I think or contemplate to further .thank u Lord
You are lucky sir 150!!

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by smeag0l(m): 1:03am On Aug 25, 2021
This is the most apt comment I've seen so far on this thread. I attended one of the best federal polytechnics in Nigeria and one of the best federal universitiesin Nigeria. What most people don't understand is that even though government has removed the dichotomy , a lot of private organisations especially the multinationals still retain it because they know that the university and polytechnic don't serve the same purpose. I work in one of the Nigerian offices of one of the biggest multinationals in the world and I can tell you that the highest job level a HND holder can get to is a chief technologist. And this is not because he's not intelligent but because the school he went to demands he tow the entirely technical route. Whereas , a degree holder can become a manager. Like someone said earlier, converting the polytechnics to universitiesof applies sciences will end this issue.
einsteine:
Do a top up degree online, problem solved. Takes just one year. HND is not the same as Bachelor's. The diploma had a different reason from the degree. Unfortunately, Nigerian factor has come into play and the role of polytechnics has been misplaced. It's better to merge some of those polytechnics as campuses of university or change some of them to university.

There is a reason polytechnics don't have professors and are heavily focused on "practicals". The training of the poly graduates was to be a technician while that of the university is to be a manager.

In typical British education, at secondary level, those who are academically gifted went to "grammar school" and then proceeded to university. Those who were more technically/trade skilled went to technical school and then proceeded to polytechnics.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by NapoleonHill: 1:36am On Aug 25, 2021
msmon:

However, being academically sound doesn't ensure you will be a sound employee.
Being academically dull doesn't guarantee it either. Why not be academically sound then?

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Sheriman(m): 4:09am On Aug 25, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Bro some people want to genuinely learn some of this skills but they need money to Go through the skills, they have to eat and certisfy their basic wants which requires money, YouTube only gave you the basics you need money practical skill bro
Yeah.. I concur with you. Getting a skill is the best for now.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Vick4rill(m): 6:38am On Aug 25, 2021
Mikester:
The main reason I advice young people to learn a business or skill. We see a lot of graduates leaving the university everyday only to become job hunters for a long period of time or poorly employed.

There is nothing better than having a business or a skill you do with your hands. Formal education should be a plus.
how does this relate to the topic? OK, l am a graduate need just 15k to learn a skill, can u help me sir
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 25, 2021
Elsueno:

I have HND, BSc & MSc....does it look like jobs dey rush me.....Na just Street hustle...

Ur type of degree isn't whats preventing u from getting a job... there is simply too many graduates & Nigeria itself is the worlds headquarters for corruption & nepotism
Agreed... Labour is cheap...
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 25, 2021
To me what matters is Knowledge & Skill (what you have upstairs) Degree or Diploma is nothing to me... The game is to keep on learning and relearning.. Replacing the obsolete with what is current... A country that place emphasis on Certificate will never prosper because certificate can be forged but Knowledge, Skill, Ability can never be forged.. The system has failed.. Find out wha you can do extremely well and develop that....

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by olojuede01: 7:29am On Aug 25, 2021
Hassanmaye:

You didn't tell us what you study in the university, but the truth most of the certification whether on Google or those obtain during NYSC are not that important. Is a reality, except professional certification like ICAN, NCIAB, ACIAB
I studied Electrical/Electronics Engineering from Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti. I did my CCNA during NYSC and started my PMP classes during my service year. While in school, i had a direction i wanted to go in. So i made up my mind to fully utilise my NYSC year by coming out with at least one additional marketable skill.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by dangoteinlaw: 7:47am On Aug 25, 2021
Jasper1759:
Read through most comments... Well am a polytechnic graduate with pass, studied civil engineering... But with my skill in Autocad, Revit, Civil 3D, Orion, Prota-Struture, being multi-tasking, excellent communication and liaising skill am currently handling the company's construction project in Asaba and made the business developement supervisor of the company... Well preferred by my boss, in my arrival in the company I have put my BSc counterparts through in so many things inclusive of I.T.... All i can say is love God, acquire skill, add knowledge to knowledge... Them never see anything!!! them go even beg u if u say u wan comot from the company.... Well i got here by grace!
hmm nice one baba but i need to ask how much are you paid even with all these you are bringing to their table. If its less than 150k then I'm sorry you are the biggest fool i ever seen.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by StayMotivated: 7:53am On Aug 25, 2021
I'm thankful for having a job, but 20,000 naira per month in Lagos won't sustain anybody for a month. I have to feed, buy airtime, pay transportation to work etc I know oneday God will remember me. It is well
Mummyimbecile:
bro, you are lucky to have that, lots of graduates are looking for such!

20k in this Nigeria economy?... I sent 200$ to a friend and he told me the money finished in less than 3weeks.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by seguntijan(m): 9:08am On Aug 25, 2021
University and Polytechnic are suppose not to be in competition and no one should be inferior to the other, unfortunately the country we found ourselves ain't helping. They're both created for different purposes and employer if labour needs to first understand the position and determine the best fit. Polytechnic graduates are trained on HOW TO DO THINGS, while University graduates are trained on WHY TO DO THINGS. once that different is established they won't be need for comparison.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by sirqeeboi(m): 9:37am On Aug 25, 2021
kadbid:
I am a product of both system, I know what each is worth. I recently got Both results evaluated by WES and the HND that is not respected here is evaluated to be Equivalent to Bachelors degree in the United States and accorded all privileges of a Bachelors degree.
I think the government should be serious about the removal of the dichotomy. The Polytechnic curriculum can stand shoulder to shoulder with any University Curriculum ( My belief anyway). I had to go get the Bachelors because my professional body would not register an HND holder to the top cadre of the profession.

Hope is not COREN?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by vikgreen01(m): 10:14am On Aug 25, 2021
edunaragold:
thank God am employed in Nigeria air force with common technical college sat ,and my salaries and allowance is almost 150,make I hold my job tight o,kia this life no balance am proud to be a soldier in the air force with my hand work oo,any way let me take my time n build my house and become a landlord first before I think or contemplate to further .thank u Lord

Hi�
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by naija4life247: 10:17am On Aug 25, 2021
dangoteinlaw:
hmm nice one baba but i need to ask how much are you paid even with all these you are bringing to their table. If its less than 150k then I'm sorry you are the biggest fool i ever seen.

Why you dey abuse the guy nah? Abi you get psychiatric disorders ni? How much do you miscreant earn sef?

3 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by ictacademy: 10:34am On Aug 25, 2021
StayMotivated:
Nairalanders please help me i need a job. I concluded my NYSC in 2019, I'm presently working at a place here in Lagos where i earn 20k per month. Please guys help me i beg you in the name of God. i can send my CV for further information. Thanks in advance.

send your cv here and also fill the form https://ictacademy.com.ng/about-us/current-vacancies/
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by aerodee(m): 10:51am On Aug 25, 2021
Lack of information won't kill us

Better register on https://icsjobportal.com they are recruiting for a commercial bank to fill over 600 jobs round the country currently.

I don talk my own o.

https://icsjobportal.com
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Bottomofpussy(m): 10:59am On Aug 25, 2021
Correct guy, I stayed in Hilltop den later odenigwe, how is life now, how d hustle, wer u base now
Kingosytex:

Also met Barth Okolo in 2011/2012 before Ozumba took over.
I stayed in Mbabefo during my first year but later relocated to behind flat and afterwards finished at Odim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Scam Mail From Omas Recruitment Agency (my Response And Theirs Too) / How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. / List Of Fake Job Address In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.