Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,681 members, 7,801,962 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials (876 Views)

Tinubu: Reliance On Export Of Raw Materials, Disease That Needs Urgent Cure / Kogi Local Government Workers Say They Now Look To God For Survival / Look Inward For More IGR, Osinbajo Tells Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 11:26pm On Aug 23, 2021
FX Squeeze: Manufacturers Begin to Look Inward for Survival

The illiquidity in the Nigeria’s foreign exchange market is forcing operators in the Nigerian manufacturing sector to look inward for local raw materials to reduce costs and remain afloat, writes Dike Onwuamaeze of ThisDay.

The Nigerian industrial sector is in dire financial straits. The sector is faced with challenging foreign exchange squeeze. This has constrained a growing number of them to adjust their operations by looking inward for local supply of raw materials as the dearth of hard currencies needed to fund their inputs from abroad bites harder.

Last week, the Director of Finance, Unilever Nigeria Plc, Adesola Sotande-Peters, said during an investors conference call that the Unilever is constrained to source for dollars above the official market rate due to paucity of forex.

Sotande-Peters disclosed that the company bought dollars at between N440 and N450 during the first and second quarters of 2021 to import petrochemicals, which is a major raw material for its products.

Now, the Unilever has begun to increase the percentage of local raw materials in its production in order to be “forex neutral in the very near future,”The Managing Director of Unilever, Mr. Carl Cruz, said. “The company has also planned to transfer its tea business to a newly incorporated firm in October as part of its global strategy to maximise value for its shareholders. “We will realize cash from the transaction,” Sotande-Peters added.

Looking inwards - Nigerian manufacturing

The Unilever is not alone. BUA Cement, another major manufacturing concern in Nigeria, is also resetting its corporate strategies in order to cope with the raging FX squeeze. The Chief Executive Officer of the BUA Cement, Mr. Yusuf Binji, said during the conference call that the cement maker has resorted to the use of locally sourced coal and liquefied natural gas in favour of imported coal in order to withstand the stress in the foreign exchange market.

The Corporate Affairs Manager of BUA Cement, Mr. Otega, told THISDAY on Friday that the “BUA Cement’s switch to LNG at our Sokoto plant was a strategic decision done for efficiency gains and to reduce our foreign exposure on coal imports since LNG can be sourced locally.

“We started the conversion of the plant last year and it is now completed. The BUA Cement’s Sokoto plant now runs on locally sourced coal and LNG rather than the previous mix of local and foreign sourced coal and LPFO. LNG will also be used to power engines used in generating electricity and will replace LPFO and AGO.

“Additionally, the use of LNG will also reduce our carbon footprint and conserve the environment in line with our commitment to environmental sustainability and the Paris Accord of which Nigeria is a signatory”, he said.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/08/17/fx-squeeze-manufacturers-begin-to-look-inward-for-survival/
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by vanbonattel: 11:27pm On Aug 23, 2021
Buharinomics is not working yet, we expected things to increase more.

Petrol should be selling for #600
Bag of rice should be selling for #88,000
Dollar should be #960 to $1

This is when we will know that the real Buharri is alive and working.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Immatex(m): 11:36pm On Aug 23, 2021
Let's keep the deceit going untill the Country collapses on us all.

Anyone saying anything is working under this oppressive regime should continue, they deserve no response.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by FarahAideed: 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
And yet cost of everything is doubling by the day ? Have some shame I gather you are even almost forty years old and still doing this thing where you have to lick the ass of despicable tyrant to survive
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 11:42pm On Aug 23, 2021
Immatex:

Let's keep the deceit going untill the Country collapses on us all.

Anyone saying anything is working under this oppressive regime should continue, they deserve no response.

For people like you, nothing short of the govt knocking on your door and dumping a billion naira or more will do.

But the truth is the slow process of building an economy relates to news such as this development.

More manufacturers forced to look inwards for raw materials means more employment for the people, and also means less capital flight via importation, meaning more money in local circulation.

Hope your head can digest all that.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by chiiraq802(m): 11:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
Sai baba..... grin

Seek for 3rd term baba.

Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 11:44pm On Aug 23, 2021
FarahAideed:
And yet cost of everything is doubling by the day ? Have some shame I gather you are even almost forty years old and still doing this thing where you have to lick the ass of despicable tyrant to survive

What an ignorant, illiterate way to view this development.

That manufacturers have just began moving towards the local sourcing of raw materials does not mean the price of everything would drop the next day. Or the same week or month.

Damn illiterate!

1 Like

Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by FarahAideed: 11:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
Rossinkipp:

What an ignorant, illitreate way to view developments.

That manufacturers have just started moving towards local sourcing of raw material sdoes not mean the pricse of everything would drop the next day.

Damn illiterate!

Yiu are the illiterate free loader that has not done an honest day work in your life ... your useless Buhari can't even refine petrol that needs only a heat source to do and you are here talking of raw materials
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 11:48pm On Aug 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

Yiu are the illiterate free loader that has not done an honest day work in your life ... your useless Buhari can't even refine petrol that needs only a heat source to do and you are here talking of raw materials

What does Buhari refining petrol have to do with Nigerian manufacturers sourcing raw materials locally?

Dumb and dumber.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by FarahAideed: 11:49pm On Aug 23, 2021
Rossinkipp:

What does Buhari refining petrol have to do with Nigerian manufacturers sourcing raw materials locally?

Dumb and dumber.

I will feed your generation for 200 years
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 11:50pm On Aug 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

I will feed your generation for 200 years

On the internet, even a homeless man can claim to be Elon Musk.

You don't sound prosperous at all.

You sound hungry and disgruntled.

Why not learn a skill?
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by FarahAideed: 11:58pm On Aug 23, 2021
Rossinkipp:

On the internet, even an ant can claim to be Elon Musk.

You don't sound prosperous at all.

But I am.super rich ..I have nothing to prove to you ...well back to to the topic : Nigerias easiest raw material to process is crude oil , all u need is a heat source and a fractional distillation column ( I know your 65 trying to always survive IQ can never know that) but yet Buhari can't achieve that so how is he going solve others ..he can't even solve electricity that is a local issue....I feel a lot of pity for men like your that have to lick ass just to survive cheesy. I know that you even have a wife plus kids and this is how you plan to survive them ? Dude wake up ...
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by FarahAideed: 12:02am On Aug 24, 2021
You are definitely under pressure to make post just to survive cheesy I pity u ...Next week sense must be received
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 12:05am On Aug 24, 2021
FarahAideed:

But I am.super rich ..I have nothing to prove to you ...well back to to the topic : Nigerias easiest raw material to process is crude oil , all u need is a heat source and a fractional distillation column ( I know your 65 trying to always survive IQ can never know that) but yet Buhari can't achieve that so how is he going solve others ..he can't even solve electricity that is a local issue....I feel a lot of pity for men like your that have to lick ass just to survive cheesy. I know that you even have a wife plus kids and this is how you plan to survive them ? Dude wake up ...

DUMBO, we are talking of NIGERIAN MANUFACTURERS shifting to local sourcing of raw materials.

WHAT has that got to do with Buhari REFINING OIL?

Get rid of your oil dependency syndrome.

THAT OIL contributes less than 15% to Nigeria's annual GDP.

The FG is moving away from running public infrastructure like refineries. That is the world trend - private sector involvement. Hence the Dangote Refinery, which will have as much capacity as all the four refineries combined, is on stream, and should be up and running next year.

So what is your problem? If OIL is the only thing on your head, then wait for Dangote Refinery and let us hear word!

1 Like

Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Immatex(m): 12:06am On Aug 24, 2021
Rossinkipp:

For people like you, nothing short of the govt knocking on your door and dumping a billion naira or more will do.

But the truth is the slow process of building an economy relates to news such as this development.

More manufacturers forced to look inwards for raw materials means more employment for the people, and also means less capital flight via importation, meaning more money in local circulation.

Hope your head can digest all that.

You lie my friend. Only illiterates will believe your bullshit.

Stop saying Manufacturers as though you know a thing about manufacturing. What the hell do you know about procurement and sourcing? What do you know about economy of scale?

Your denial of the obvious, your wishful thinking and blind loyalty is stupidity and foolishness.

All manufacturing sectors in Nigeria are either shutting down production lines or down-scaling production leading to hundreds of job losses and you have the temperity to speak of local sourcing.

What is the present unemployment rate in Nigeria today? What's the inflation rate as at July?

You even have no shame in using power as your example.

See guy, I can't stress myself on a failed state, arguing with persons like you.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 12:10am On Aug 24, 2021
Immatex:

You lie my friend. Only illiterates will believe your bullshit.

Stop saying Manufacturers as though you know a thing about manufacturing. What the hell do you know about procurement and sourcing? What do you know about economy of scale?

Your denial of the obvious, your wishful thinking and blind loyalty is stupidity and foolishness.

All manufacturing sectors in Nigeria are either shutting down production lines or down-scaling production leading hundreds of job losses and you have the temperity to speak of local sourcing.

You even have no shame in using power as your example.

See guy, I can't stress myself on a failed state, arguing with persons like you.

So, are you disputing what the ThisDay report is stating?

You do know that it is THEIR report, which was generated by interviewing industry stakeholders, that is the source of this thread?

So, we should ignore their work and research and believe YOU, some nameless non-entity with a stinking attitude?

I think not.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Immatex(m): 12:13am On Aug 24, 2021
Rossinkipp:

So, are you disputing what the ThisDay report is stating?

You do know that it is THEIR report, which was gathered by speaking to industry stakeholders, that is the source of this thread?

So, we should ignore their work and research and believe YOU, some non-entity with a stinking attitude?

I think not.

Story. Time will tell.

And for your sake, read reliable financial report and business magazines not some quarkery of newspapers.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 12:16am On Aug 24, 2021
Immatex:

Story. Time will tell.

And for your sake, read reliable financial report and business magazines not some quarkery of newspapers.

Kindly list these special publications. ThisDay is a respected Nigerian newspaper, and has been so since before your daddy was born.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by SmartPolician: 12:20am On Aug 24, 2021
Rossinkipp:

What an ignorant, illiterate way to view this development.

That manufacturers have just began moving towards the local sourcing of raw materials does not mean the price of everything would drop the next day. Or the same week or month.

Damn illiterate!

Oga, you don't even know the meaning of an illiterate An illiterate is someone who can neither read nor write. The last time I checked, the dude you replied can read and write.

To the topic, it's difficult to defend this government and there's nothing cheering about being a Nigerian at this time. A country of over 60 years with 200 million is struggling with 5k megawatts of electricity and the government would prefer to borrow to build railways. SMH.

According to your definition of Buharinomics, the scarcity of USD compelled manufacturers to source raw materials inwards and you consider that a policy of this government that works? How funny!

FYI, it's the inability of this government to keep naira from depreciating that compelled those companies to look inwards, meaning that they are frustrated. A government policy works where there's a calculated, long-term strategy to make it work. Six years later, I have yet to see any sweeping reforms that have changed the lots of ordinary Nigerians.

The money Buhari is spending to fix railways should have gone to power to significantly reduce the cost of production. He's building railways, yet the prices of commodities are hitting the rooftops. If you are unaware, the railway is just means of ensuring that north-bound imported goods make their way from Lagos port to northern Nigeria. Fortunately, the SW is a beneficiary.

Until there's devolution of power (something we call restructuring), we are just wasting our time in Nigeria.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 12:32am On Aug 24, 2021
SmartPolician:

Oga, you don't even know the meaning of an illiterate An illiterate is someone who can neither read nor write. The last time I checked, the dude you replied can read and write.

Figure of speech. Ever heard the term?

To the topic, it's difficult to defend this government and there's nothing cheering about being a Nigerian at this time. A country of over 60 years with 200 million is struggling with 5k megawatts of electricity and the government would prefer to borrow to build railways. SMH

According to your definition of Buharinomics, the scarcity of USD compelled manufacturers to source raw materials inwards and you consider that a policy of this government that works? How funny!

FYI, it's the inability of this government to keep naira from depreciating that compelled those companies to look inwards, meaning that they are frustrated. A government policy works where there's a calculated, long-term strategy to make it work. Six years later, I have yet to see any sweeping reforms that have changed the lots of ordinary Nigerians.

It IS deliberate policy to allow the naira to gradually find its level. It is not the govt's job to ''keep the naira from deprecating'', but to build a self-sufficient economy, and devoting scarce foreign exchange to continued IMPORTATION of what we can be sourced locally is DUMB, and that is now changing. How is that a bad thing?

Are you aware that China became the power she is today by banning all imports for decades?

But in Nigeria, a policy that forces self sufficiency and industrialisation, you don't like. You want to continue importing.

Awon useless.

The money Buhari is spending to fix railways should have gone to power to significantly reduce the cost of production. He's building railways, yet the prices of commodities are hitting the rooftops. Lastly, the railway is just means of ensuring that north-bound imported goods make their way from Lagos port to northern Nigeria. Fortunately, the SW is a beneficiary.

Until there's devolution of power (something we call restructuring), we are just wasting our time in Nigeria.

Go and learn the benefits of a railway system and how it helps to comprehensively reduce the cost of doing business in a country, leading to economic expansion. The US investment in railroads a century ago led to that nation becoming the industrial superpower it is today.

The Nigerian railway masterplan connects every state capital in the country by high speed rail, and is not a ''northern agenda'' or whatever ignorant rubbish you're trying to insinuate.
Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Immatex(m): 12:46am On Aug 24, 2021
Rossinkipp:

Kindly list these special publications. ThisDay is a respected Nigerian newspaper, and has been so since before your daddy was born.

Read about your country's economy from reliable sources not from the bias or brown envelope Journalism practiced here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-16/nigeria-s-bank-of-industry-plans-883-million-global-bond-sale

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-15/nigeria-s-cratering-economy-may-become-africa-s-biggest-threat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/three-reasons-to-be-worriedabout-africas-progress/2021/08/13/4601e0c2-fc0d-11eb-911c-524bc8b68f17_story.html

Then visit https://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/

We won't succeed in Nigeria by prayer and wishes. We can only grow when we put the right people in office and allow them develop the right system to deliver a robust economy.

I am yet to see what has worked about this economy for over 5 years now. So defending this regime will continue to be a tough job for you.

1 Like

Re: Buharinomics Is Working, As Manufacturers Now Look Inward For Raw Materials by Rossinkipp: 1:12am On Aug 24, 2021
Immatex:

Read about your country's economy from reliable sources not from the bias or brown envelope Journalism practiced here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-16/nigeria-s-bank-of-industry-plans-883-million-global-bond-sale

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-15/nigeria-s-cratering-economy-may-become-africa-s-biggest-threat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/three-reasons-to-be-worriedabout-africas-progress/2021/08/13/4601e0c2-fc0d-11eb-911c-524bc8b68f17_story.html

Then visit https://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/

We won't succeed in Nigeria by prayer and wishes. We can only grow when we put the right people in office and allow them develop the right system to deliver a robust economy.

I am yet to see what has worked about this economy for over 5 years now. So defending this regime will continue to be a tough job for you.

You're crazy to be suggesting we get our news about Nigeria virtually exclusively from US sources. Go to hell with that colonial complex and inferior mentality. Disgusting. The fewer of your type we have in Nigeria the better.

What makes you think the western media will not lie to you?

Do you think their interests are the same as your interests?

(1) (Reply)

Stop Supporting Nnamdi Kanu And IPOB, FG Warns Foreign Nations / Ghanaian President Teaches Buhari How To Be A President This Christmas Season / Black Soot In Port-harcourt: Noticeable Reduction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.