Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,714 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 (68682 Views)

Rachel Bakam Dies Of Anaemia At 38 (Photos) / Matt Cappotelli Dies Of Brain Cancer At 38 / Linda Ikeji And Afeez Agoro, Tallest Man In Nigeria Meet (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by ogbiwa: 7:08am On Aug 24, 2021
Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy, the official tallest man in America has died, aged just 38, his family has confirmed.

Vovkovinskiy, who moved to the US from Ukraine, passed away at the Mayo Clinic Hospital Saint Marys Campus in Rochester, New York.

His mum gave a tragic update in a Facebook post and shared a picture as she gave her son a final hug.

Vovkovinskiy moved across the Atlantic 30 years ago to treat a tumour pressing against his pituitary gland, which was the cause of his immense size.

He reportedly spoke to his older brother, sister-in-law, and other relatives just before his death.

Svetlvana Vovkovinska said: “Igor was glad to see them, and although it was difficult for him to speak, he tried to joke about his nephew Andriy, whether he had learned the Ukrainian language in a month in Ukraine."

Vovkovinskiy was crowned as America's tallest man back in 2010, while on the Dr Oz show.

He managed to beat the previous record by just a third of an inch. He edged out a sheriff's deputy in Virginia when he was hailed America's tallest living person by Guinness World Records.

At the time he said: “It feels so good to finally have proof that I am the tallest man in America,” he said at the time.

“Everyone is always asking me if I’m certain that I’m the tallest and I was never able to prove it. Now that I have this certificate to hang on my wall, I could finally show it!”

His immense height made it difficult to perform everyday tasks, like finding a desk or getting in and out of a car.

He dreamt of becoming an attorney and completed a two-year degree from Rochester Community and Technical College, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The Ukrainian raised $16,000 (£11,500) for specially made shoes after his feet grew to a size 26 and caused him pain and discomfort.

Vovkovinskiy said: “I’d like to do simple things like maybe go window shopping at a mall.

“I haven’t done that in about four years. Maybe walk my dog, go fishing.”

He made the move to America when he was just six years old and was already standing six-foot tall as a child.

His family initially thought he would only stay in the country for a month.

His health deteriorated over the past few months and he struggled to walk.

Oleh Ladan, his older brother, told the Star Tribune, he would "rather lived a normal life than be known."

“He enjoyed spending time with his family and friends, occasional fishing and traveling, and helping the Ukrainian Army in any way he could,” his obit read.

He is survived by his brother, niece, nephew, stepsister and mother.

His memorial service will be held on Saturday.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-igor-vovkovinskiy-dead-tallest-24823267

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by thorpido(m): 7:15am On Aug 24, 2021
Not just tall but huge.
That pic at the rally or something, those behind him can't see nothing. cheesy

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Shedrack777: 7:20am On Aug 24, 2021
may he rest in peace. but him go........
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Adeoludt(m): 7:22am On Aug 24, 2021
T
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:27am On Aug 24, 2021
ogbiwa:

The Ukrainian raised $16,000 (£11,500) for specially made shoes after his feet grew to a size 26 and caused him pain and discomfort.
undecided wey children dey wear size 36/42 for here

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by DoggoneDogg: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2021
But no mention of his height all through the report.
Na wa

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by DoggoneDogg: 7:44am On Aug 24, 2021
Wiseandtrue:

undecided wey children dey wear size 36/42 for here

That's US size. Your 42 is continental size which is equal to US size 9 or so.

175 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:55am On Aug 24, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
[s][/s]

That's US size. Your 42 is continental size which is equal to US size 9 or so.
Okay mr cobbler. Thanks for the enlightenment grin

Modified:
Omò see mention from saddened, aggressive souls on this harmless comment, only few sensible ones saw the innocence in this comment

grin grin na wa oooooo! people dey H!

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by DoggoneDogg: 8:02am On Aug 24, 2021
[s]
Wiseandtrue:

[/s]

Accept your L Madam ITK.

You don't need to be a cobbler to know about the shoes you wear on your own feet. All it takes is ignorance.

277 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Barbsamiin: 8:12am On Aug 24, 2021
What did you expects from obessed person

1 Like

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by VoltageDivida(m): 8:50am On Aug 24, 2021
RIP to the death. May the family wax stronger!

With all that height to get him coffin go hard oo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Honduras01: 9:02am On Aug 24, 2021
people like this don't live long.

Here is another one down below.

He died at 22

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 24, 2021
thorpido:
Not just tall but huge.
That pic at the rally or something, those behind him can't see nothing. cheesy
I swear bro. Him suppose dey back na...
If na naija boys for drag am go back cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Oyiboman69: 9:10am On Aug 24, 2021
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by 2times2(m): 9:11am On Aug 24, 2021
Wow
If you dey where dem de shoot gunz anyhow and you hide for this guy back, no bullet go touch you.
Ahhhh... B like armour tank.

R.I.P

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Adrian9(m): 9:11am On Aug 24, 2021
My brother sorry oh!

2 Likes

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Folabifreeman(m): 9:11am On Aug 24, 2021
Vgv
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Lamasta(m): 9:11am On Aug 24, 2021
R I P Tallay rest well

2 Likes

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Jone360: 9:11am On Aug 24, 2021
RIP to him,just thinking about the length of his coffin

Unisex Turtleneck For Adult n Kids Are Available For Retail and Wholesale Prices

Payment On Delivery Within Lagos
Nationwide Delivery

2 Likes

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by slawormiir: 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
Damnnn niggar

Rest in peace son

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Generalwoodz(m): 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
SmellySperm:

I swear bro. Him suppose dey back na...
If na naija boys for drag am go back cheesy
Aswear grin Tall dudes like me na back of back seat we dey always dey...

2 Likes

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Cholls(m): 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
My brother Addams family
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Boni52: 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
Good one
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Lordgel: 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
He looked obessed though...RIP
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by temmypotter(m): 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
Wiseandtrue:

the snide remark is unnecessary, take the lesson gracefully and shut up

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by younglleo: 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
wish say na buhari die dis die....
we for better!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Webdeveloper89: 9:12am On Aug 24, 2021
Hmm
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:13am On Aug 24, 2021
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by Sniper4real(m): 9:14am On Aug 24, 2021
by Friday

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igor Oleksandrovych Vovkovinskiy Is Dead! America's Tallest Man Dies At 38 by pretydiva(f): 9:14am On Aug 24, 2021
Too much of everything is not good o. Rip to him

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adekunle Gold And Simi Celebrate 1st Wedding Anniversary With Lovely Picture / Timaya: “I Was Weighing 95, Now I’m Weighing 75” (Photos) / P'square: Peter & Paul Okoye Rock 'Obidient' Tops In Paris (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.