Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Punctured Bottom Plate; Weld Or Replace? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Punctured Bottom Plate; Weld Or Replace? (1649 Views)

Windscreen Crack- Repair Or Replace? / Man High On Drugs Arrested While Trying To Patch 2 Punctured Tyres With Plaster / Generator Knocked Engine - Repair Or Replace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Punctured Bottom Plate; Weld Or Replace? by naijadrivablog: 12:48am On Aug 25, 2021
So I went to an area with bad road and my bottom plate punctured and I managed to take it to a panel bester and he did aluminum weld on the spot but very little amount of oil drips from that spot after the job.

Although, he used 4minute gum to cover the tiny spot through which oil still leaks from and he initially assured me that it is permanent but I didn't believe him. The Oil drip, though not too noticeable but I don't like shoody work.

Should I replace the bottom plate or get mine welded inside and outside.
Re: Punctured Bottom Plate; Weld Or Replace? by BabbanBura(m): 12:54am On Aug 25, 2021
naijadrivablog:
So I went to an area with bad road and my bottom plate punctured and I managed to take it to a panel bester and he did aluminum weld on the spot but very little amount of oil drips from that spot after the job.

Although, he used 4minute gum to cover the tiny spot through which oil still leaks from and he initially assured me that it is permanent but I didn't believe him. The Oil drip, though not too noticeable but I don't like shoody work.

Should I replace the bottom plate or get mine welded inside and outside.

Depending on how buoyant you are, even 5mins gum does the job for a few months managing till you can replace it. But ultimately, it is safer and a good practice to replace it to avoid engine knock.

As a rule of thumb, never joke with lifeline of your car; cooling system, transmission systems, steering system and brakes/tyres.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Punctured Bottom Plate; Weld Or Replace? by naijadrivablog: 9:53am On Aug 25, 2021
BabbanBura:

Depending on how buoyant you are, even 5mins gum does the job for a few months managing till you can replace it. But ultimately, it is safer and a good practice to replace it to avoid engine knock.

As a rule of thumb, never joke with lifeline of your car; cooling system, transmission systems, steering system and brakes/tyres.

Thanks. The engine is aluminum block. Some say if welding was well done, it should last.
Re: Punctured Bottom Plate; Weld Or Replace? by sultaan(m): 10:56am On Aug 25, 2021
Since our people don't have the proper know how to weld, you should imagine a failure of the system if you were driving at night on the road at 100km/h, and the oil pressure was 45psi.

Since such a failure will be catastrophic to the engine, better replace.

(1) (Reply)

What Car Should I Get As My First Car As A 21 Year Old. / Enquiry About Road Worthiness / Why Are Thieves Always After The Toyota Brand?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.