Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up (12675 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up / What To Do With A Degree In English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Ovo200: 3:35pm On Aug 25, 2021
mofedamijo:

Its very lucrative honestly. Very very lucrative, however, try to know networking before proceeding (network from scratch to advanced implementation) That will help you greatly.

The journey to Cyber-security is tough, boring and technical. You have to love it to finish the courses.

Are you into cyber security
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by erubati: 3:51pm On Aug 25, 2021
arthurwillia:

Omo but it won’t be one time payment na abi
I didn't ask but I think it is not one time payment
After paying that amount,I probably will do an IT exam.if I fail na yawa be that
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Shellsploit: 4:00pm On Aug 25, 2021
Hassanmaye:

You scared me

How bro?

1 Like

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Sapeleboy911(m): 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2021
Oh bob with full force go into cyber security.The whether ethical or unethical the IT field Is filled with lots of opportunities. My G is making lots of moneyy with unethical photoshop. Forget those worthless Nigeria institutions paper degrees.

1 Like

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by mofedamijo(m): 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2021
Ovo200:

Are you into cyber security

No, but I know the basis, and how to have a solid background. My job requires me to have some knowledge.
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by arthurwillia(m): 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2021
Dim08:

Not at all.

Your certification determines your fee but generally Nigerian partners' fee are quite higher. Luckily for me I got a company outside the country who's footing the bill for me. I'm more like an IT BA trainee

Wow that’s like a scholarship but in IT, how did you get it? Can we talk more please probably email or something please
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Nascimento(m): 5:28pm On Aug 25, 2021
Ovo200:
After reading this post yesterday
https://www.nairaland.com/6716644/plight-hnd-holders-nigerian-labor

I'm an HND holder(animal production) and planning to dive into the IT world (cyber security) but after reading the article yesterday I'm beginning to have doubts about whether to go for cyber security or a top-up degree.

Pls all advise are welcome

Hello. I work in cybersecurity.
I came from a bioscience background. I also have a background in web application development.
One thing I will tell you is this: Cybersecurity is a combination of various IT skills - from Networking, to application development to server management et al. You must know and understand the basics, and the underlying technologies and processes in Information Technology.

With that said, I'll advise you to get trainings and certification on the following:
1. Networking (Network+, CCNA etc). Not just to read book o. Go to centres that can teach you hands on skills in networking, how a SIEM works and the likes.
2. Learn how to program. Learn to be proficient in Python, intermediate skill in C++, Java and Web development (because you cannot hack a 3. web application without understanding how to build one) and may be some mobile development (If you want to go into mobile app pentesting).
4. Have a deep understanding of system administration.
5. Then take the CEH. But I prefer eJPT by Elearnsecurity because their exams is practical, you must hack to answer any of the 20 questions.
6. Take Security+ to understand how to secure your information assets.

Just as a note too, cybersecurity is not just about hacking, there is compliance aspect to it too. Like ISO 27001 (Information Security Management System), TOGAF, ITSMS etc.

Your HND is enough. Just show you competence in the things i mentioned above, and you will excel.
Good health to you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by bluefilm: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2021
Ovo200:

I'm an HND holder(animal production) and planning to dive into the IT world (cyber security) but after reading the article yesterday I'm beginning to have doubts about whether to go for cyber security or a top-up degree.

Go for skills.

Certificate mentality should be a thing of the past by now.
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Mobog(m): 7:55pm On Aug 25, 2021
Sonnobax15:
Guy,you are not far from the truth also..But what's the essence of studying a practical course without being subjected to the necessary practicals that the the students need...I don't know about universities but
the polytechnic which I attended was and is still a huge failure in terms of practicals... Imagine jam-packing over 100 students in a practical lab that requires only 50 students undecided

How we go take feel comfortable? And lost of the lectures handling the courses Don't even know what they are doing..Na wa oh...No be say I dey carry talk but na wetin I see and pass through I yan..
Depends on the school you attended bro...just run a FULL TIME Program in any of the federal polytechnics... federal poly ilaro,yabatech and auchi poly... you'll experience what practical engineering is all about, we did excursion and I witness what engineering is all about, civilize engineering is crazy lecturers and electrical with diff options and well experience lecturers my colleagues in elect/elect went to kanji. instrumentation and control did full practical and their computer engineering is hell! The only problem is Nigeria needs advance advance networking in Technology. Please visit dangote company to know more...
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Brightstar10: 7:59pm On Aug 25, 2021
School is scam! Cyber security is the best choice!!
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Ovo200: 8:44pm On Aug 25, 2021
Nascimento:

I came from a bioscience background. I also have a background in web application development.
One thing I will tell you is this: Cybersecurity is a combination of various IT skills - from Networking, to application development to server management et al. You must know and understand the basics, and the underlying technologies and processes in Information Technology.

With that said, I'll advise you to get trainings and certification on the following:
1. Networking (Network+, CCNA etc). Not just to read book o. Go to centres that can teach you hands on skills in networking, how a SIEM works and the likes.
2. Learn how to program. Learn to be proficient in Python, intermediate skill in C++, Java and Web development (because you cannot hack a 3. web application without understanding how to build one) and may be some mobile development (If you want to go into mobile app pentesting).
5. Then take the CEH. But I prefer eJPT by Elearnsecurity because their exams is practical, you must hack to answer any of the 20 questions.

Just as a note too, cybersecurity is not just about hacking, there is compliance aspect to it too. Like ISO 27001 (Information Security Management System), TOGAF, ITSMS etc.

Your HND is enough. Just show you competence in the things i mentioned above, and you will excel.
Good health to you.

Thanks, I appreciate
Where did you learn cyber security( which institutions)?

If you check the image you will see the CompTIA n+ and s+ what do you think?

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Hahjascho(m): 10:10pm On Aug 25, 2021
mofedamijo:

Its very lucrative honestly. Very very lucrative, however, try to know networking before proceeding (network from scratch to advanced implementation) That will help you greatly.

The journey to Cyber-security is tough, boring and technical. You have to love it to finish the courses.
OK thanks...by networking what r u trying to emphasise?
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by mofedamijo(m): 11:16pm On Aug 25, 2021
Hahjascho:
OK thanks...by networking what r u trying to emphasise?

An ideal cyber security professional most possess knowledge in system architectures, system administration, operating systems, networking, virtualization software, and other major components of IT systems. A comprehensive understanding of systems architecture allows you to have a big picture view to see where possible vulnerabilities lie, and how to potentially protect all access points from attacks. The CompTIA Security+ certification tests for this broad range of knowledge, but having the certification doesn’t verify your ability to apply the knowledge.

You should have an understanding of configuration and management of firewalls, network load balancers, network routers and switches, and network architectures. Networking and virtualization technologies are critical for how businesses operate. With the advent of cloud computing, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), accessed through web browsers, demands an intricate understanding of security on this level.

1 Like

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Lufthansa: 11:30pm On Aug 25, 2021
@ Amuluonyenaego
Bro please does your response mean he should rather go for programming language like Java, Python e.t.c than taking the COMPTIA and CEH courses offered him?

or you meant he should go for the COMPTIA and CEH rather than schooling.

Please clarify, as I will be drawing inference from this.

Thank you in anticipation of your response.

Amuluonyenaego:
FTC after 3 years of waiting.
Go learn programming with that money and thank me later.
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Yournightmare1: 12:51am On Aug 26, 2021
I am also a student of this institute, the lekki annex though studying web design, go for cyber security but you will also work with some YouTube videos, subscribe to "udemy" and w3schools and watch their videos that is the best way to go like this my brother, if you Wan Japa for this country Nigeria
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by nowpresence(f): 7:43am On Aug 26, 2021
mofedamijo:
I have been recruiting for several organisations, especially American companies. But I will tell you for free, all mu clients are demanding at least a bachelors degree to be able to work in the United States.

Even if you have 8years experience in any of the I.T sectors, you're automatically screened out if you don't have a degree.

I am presently recruiting for Backend Developer, U.S based only, and a bachelors degree is a most.

You can study for cyber security, while also doing a part-time degree. But trust me, nobody wants to hire someone without B.sc anymore, except handy man jobs.

Don't let anyone deceive you, 97% of American companies now require a bachelors degree for I.T jobs, I am not talking of freelance jobs, I mean permanent staff positions.

Mind you, Cyber security requires certifications, this certifications are quite expensive.

I am a recruiter, and I am speaking from experience.

P.S, I am not based in Nigeria.
Shallom

I am currently looking for new Cybersecurity job. I have security certification. If you hear of any opening do let me know please
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Whatshallido: 8:19am On Aug 26, 2021
Tallino25:
Guy go for a cyber security it's the best for you
I too want to move into that IT course,but I am yet to find a recommended physical/online training platform to learn the course specifically
Can I get recommendations from anyone? Especially recommendations online or physically around my area, I stay at abia

Try cybrary. Com or Itprotv. Com for cyber security and other IT related courses. You can as well buy udemy course.
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Hahjascho(m): 9:07pm On Aug 26, 2021
mofedamijo:

An ideal cyber security professional most possess knowledge in system architectures, system administration, operating systems, networking, virtualization software, and other major components of IT systems. A comprehensive understanding of systems architecture allows you to have a big picture view to see where possible vulnerabilities lie, and how to potentially protect all access points from attacks. The CompTIA Security+ certification tests for this broad range of knowledge, but having the certification doesn’t verify your ability to apply the knowledge.

You should have an understanding of configuration and management of firewalls, network load balancers, network routers and switches, and network architectures. Networking and virtualization technologies are critical for how businesses operate. With the advent of cloud computing, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), accessed through web browsers, demands an intricate understanding of security on this level.
Great, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by erubati: 7:13am On Aug 29, 2021
Nascimento:

Good health to you.
That's tons of money o
Aptech charges 195k for CCNA and 190k for N+.the certification exam is about 125-130k
Java programming is about 640k,I don't know ow much python is and cyber security na 600k.
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Ovo200: 11:20pm On Aug 29, 2021
erubati:

That's tons of money o
Aptech charges 195k for CCNA and 190k for N+.the certification exam is about 125-130k
Java programming is about 640k,I don't know ow much python is and cyber security na 600k.

Do you work with Aptech boss
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by rouseyelbert33: 12:14pm On Aug 30, 2021
cybercrimes increase on daily basis. cyberattack basically a malware which is enter to your devices, software, network system etc. cyberattack effect on your system So we should be secure our all system using some services who protect your system from cyberattacks like enterprise security, finance solutions, logistics solutions, gamification solutions. Theses are all services protect your systems from cyberattacks. Most of companies providing theses services like HeraSoft et.
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Nascimento(m): 6:43pm On Sep 01, 2021
I studied some networking, MS server management, python, Some tutorials in Comptia A+, and I started some hacking training in hack the box (premium). Got a job as a web developer in the organization I work for currently. Then I was given a wonderful opportunity to learn on the job. Studied for ISMS exams and passed, and was given a lot of inhouse training before i was ready to take on customers' projects. I currently handle everything in Application security, since that is the area where I am more comfortable with becasue of my Dev background.

I will say get the basis of networking and server management (Active directory et al). Then pay for security +. After that Get a premium account on try-hack-me (8 pounds/10 USD per month). Once you are confortable with exploiting vulnerable machine, start applying fr a job, say as a security analyst intern or so. You cannot know everything about IT security by going to these training centre.
Get the fundamentals, then apply for an intern position.

Ovo200:

Thanks, I appreciate
Where did you learn cyber security( which institutions)?

If you check the image you will see the CompTIA n+ and s+ what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Nascimento(m): 6:49pm On Sep 01, 2021
erubati:

That's tons of money o

You do not need certification for all of them na. Lots of courses on udemy, youtube. Only go for certification for the area of security u want to get into. E.g application security - (Free resources: on networking, programming, web dev, mobile dev) then paid (CEH or eJPT, Security +, do try hack me or hacktheboux.eu).
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Kalusam(m): 12:29am On Sep 02, 2021
I studied Agriculture too and am working towards going into Cybersecurity. Before you invest so much money into training, look into free resources like this from Cisco Academy.

https://www.netacad.com/courses/cybersecurity

Then decide if this is really what you want, CyS is broad...

Ovo200:

Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 02, 2021
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Ovo200: 11:00pm On Sep 02, 2021
MyphoneandI:
If you’re interested I can walk you through becoming a certified Cybersecurity analyst for free.

This will take months of intensive training but it is an entry role and you’d get a certification needed to land a good job for free.

Quote this message if you are serious.

Interested
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 03, 2021
Ovo200:

Interested
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Ovo200: 11:22pm On Oct 09, 2021
[quote author=Dim08 post=105167036]
Not at all.

Your certification determines your fee but generally Nigerian partners' fee are quite higher. Luckily for me I got a company outside the country who's footing the bill for me. I'm more like an IT BA trainee[/quote)

Can we talk?
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Ovo200: 11:30pm On Oct 09, 2021
Nascimento:

One thing I will tell you is this: Cybersecurity is a combination of various IT skills - from Networking, to application development to the server management et al. You must know and understand the basics, and the underlying technologies and processes in Information Technology.

Good health to you.

How many years did it take you to study?
Re: Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up by Yungbliss(m): 6:04am On Feb 02, 2022
sulaak:

Cybersecurity or Cloud computing is a no brainer. Every electronic gadget will need to be secured and only well-trained security experts will have the capability to deliver this service.

Boss, it seems people are not talking much about cloud computing.

If you wouldn't mind, I will like you to through lights on cloud computing and data science. Though I prefer data science, but it is like CC, CS &DS fall in the same category

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NBS: 21.7 Millions Nigerians Now Unemployed / Ndic Recruitment Test! / How To Apply For Fan Milk Plc Job Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.