Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know (31396 Views)

AFCON 2021: Qualifiers Group Stage Draw, Nigeria In Group L / AITEO Cup 2018 Group Stage Draw And Match Venues / Champions League Draw - All Groups (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by obembet(f): 6:05pm On Aug 25, 2021
After a summer jam-packed with international football action in Euro 2020 and the Olympics, Europe's showpiece domestic club competition returns with the Champions League.

The group stage draw will determine which clubs will face each other in the opening stage of the competition, potentially shaping the trajectory of the tournament as a whole.

Chelsea are current defending champions after defeating Premier League rivals Manchester City in the last season's final, adding a second Champions League trophy to their collection.

Other European heavyweights in Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool and Manchester United will also be gunning for this year's continental prize.

But the non-stop football carousel keeps on turning and the holders, Manchester City, Liverpool and Manchester United will all find out who they will face in the group stage of the elite European competition this week.

Sportsmail provides all you need to know ahead of the draw, including how to follow it, which teams can still book a place in the money-spinning competition and all the key dates on the road to the 2022 final in Russia on May 28.

When is the Champions League draw?

The draw for the group stage of the 2021-22 Champions League will take place on Thursday, August 26 with the ceremony starting at 5pm (BST).

The Europa League draw will take place on Friday, August 27 at 12pm (BST).

The Europa Conference League draw will also happen on Friday, August 27 but at 12.30pm (BST).

How to watch the group stage draw?

You can follow Sportsmail's live blog on Thursday while the ceremony will be on a live stream on the UEFA website.

UK viewers can also watch the draw live on BT Sport 1, with coverage starting at 4.45pm and finishing at 6.45pm.

Where is the draw taking place?

The draw will take place in Istanbul, Turkey.

How does the draw work?

Thirty-two clubs will participate in the group stage of the Champions League with 26 automatically qualifying and the other six via the play-offs.

The teams will be drawn into eight groups of four teams each but for the purpose of the draw they'll be divided into four pots of eight (see below).

No team can play a club from the same country in the group stage.

What's the dream/nightmare draw for the English clubs?

For Chelsea and Manchester City the usual advantage that comes with being in Pot 1 is not really there this season after Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan and Lille were all surprise winners of their respective leagues last season.

As a result Thomas Tuchel's holders and the reigning Premier League champions can be pitted against LaLiga giants Real Madrid or Barcelona, Cristiano Ronaldo's Juventus or face Paris Saint-Germain with the lethal triumvirate of Neymar, Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe.

Oh... and both Chelsea and City could also come up against a striker they were keen on signing this summer in Erling Haaland with Borussia Dortmund also in Pot 2.

Therefore being unseeded could be a blessing for both United and Liverpool as they cannot be drawn against of those Pot 2 European heavyweights and although they can still have Atletico and Bayern, the prospect for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Jurgen Klopp is significantly less daunting.

Inter aren't the force they were last year following Antonio Conte's departure and with Romelu Lukaku now at Chelsea while Villarreal, Lille and Sporting Lisbon should not cause any problems for United or Liverpool.

Unai Emery's Villarreal side would have had to settle for the Europa Conference League had they not beaten United in the Europa League final after finishing just seventh in the Spanish top flight last season. The Red Devils will want revenge should the two clubs be drawn against each other on Thursday.

The group stage, which kicks off next month, promises to be enthralling right from the start this time around.

What are the Champions League pots?

Pot 1: Chelsea, Villarreal, Manchester City, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Lille, Sporting Lisbon.

Pot 2: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United, PSG, Liverpool, Sevilla and Borussia Dortmund.

Pot 3: Porto, Ajax, RB Leipzig, Atalanta, Zenit St Petersburg, Benfica plus Shakhtar Donetsk or Monaco, RB Salzburg or Brondby, Besiktas or Dinamo Kiev.

Pot 4: Club Brugge, Young Boys, AC Milan, Malmo, Wolfsburg, plus Dinamo Zagreb or Sheriff Tiraspol, Shakhtar Donetsk or Monaco, RB Salzburg or Brondby, Besiktas or Dinamo Kiev.

When are the group stage matches played?

Matchday 1: September 14/15

Matchday 2: September 28/29

Matchday 3: October 19/20

Matchday 4: November 2/3

Matchday 5: November 23/24

Matchday 6: December 7/8

What are the other key dates?

Last 16: February 15/16 and February 22/23 (first legs), March 8/9 and March 15/16 (second legs)

Quarter-finals: April 5/6 (first legs) and April 12/13 (second legs)

Semi-finals: April 26/27 (first legs) and May 3/4 (second legs)

Final: May 28

Other Interesting news

https://www.nairaland.com/6715388/pogba-set-premier-league-record

https://www.nairaland.com/6717867/uefa-honour-medical-staff-kjaer

Source: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/026c-12eaac32a74c-8bb1452f4230-1000--group-stage-draw-all-you-need-to-know/

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Bigredmachine: 6:11pm On Aug 25, 2021
So assnal won't be there...

Anyway

My dream group is

Chelsea
Real Madrid
Juventus
PSG

32 Likes

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by slawormiir: 6:14pm On Aug 25, 2021
Damnnn niggar

Isoright......bring it on.....we can't wait for champions league to kick start....

That champions league anthem every Tuesday and Wednesday night ehnnn.....hearing that anthem gives me orgasm..

Ce sont les meilleures équipes
Es sind die allerbesten Mannschaften

The main event

Die Meister
Die Besten
Les grandes équipes
The champions

If you are a niggar and you know that anthem you must be a real niggar ...
When ever I hear that anthem. ...no matter how beautiful a woman is...even if she is naked and am on top of her....I will immediately stand up and run down to the viewing centre

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by WibusJaga: 6:28pm On Aug 25, 2021

This their pots get as e be.
Villarreal, Lille, Sporting Lisbon in pot1 while
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United, PSG, Liverpool in pot2?
Thought the topmost 8 seeds should be in pot1.

Noted: winners of Farmer's leagues also seeded as top teams in pot1 angry

4 Likes

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:58pm On Aug 25, 2021
BLUES FOR LIFE.

THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE.

THE OFFICIALLY BEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE WORLD.

Win, Draw or Lose,
Our Blood remainBLUE.

KTBFFH.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by insidelife22(m): 7:01pm On Aug 25, 2021
we Better not meet PSG in group stage,or else...

7 Likes

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by obembet(f): 7:47pm On Aug 25, 2021
Bigredmachine:

Anyway

My dream group is

Chelsea
Real Madrid
Juventus
PSG

Arsenal fans waiting to see Arsenal in UCL draw

no matter how beautiful a woman is...even if she is naked and am on top of her....I will immediately stand up and run down to the viewing centre

Slawormiir na Scam

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 25, 2021
Bigredmachine:

Anyway

My dream group is

Chelsea
Real Madrid
Juventus
PSG

it's not possible

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Numerouno94(m): 8:07pm On Aug 25, 2021
Bigredmachine:

Anyway

My dream group is

Chelsea
Real Madrid
Juventus
PSG

Not possible oga.

2 Likes

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Humanoid01(m): 9:18pm On Aug 25, 2021
Bigredmachine:
Anyway
My dream group is
Chelsea Real Madrid Juventus PSG
You obviously didn't read the article.

9 Likes

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Humanoid01(m): 9:23pm On Aug 25, 2021
WibusJaga:

This their pots get as e be.
Villarreal, Lille, Sporting Lisbon in pot1 while
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United, PSG, Liverpool in pot2?
Thought the topmost 8 seeds should be in pot1.
Only champions of the top 6 leagues in Europe, UCL and Europa league winners are placed in pot 1. Those teams in pot 1 are in one of those groups I mentioned.

5 Likes

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by obembet(f): 8:44am On Aug 26, 2021
Lalasticlala
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Juanmike(m): 11:24am On Aug 26, 2021
The Mod didn't mention Copa Amelica, showing how mediocre and agricultural it is, soon some fan of new French farmers will come and tell us how their sHOTspot won an intergricultunal trophy that Chile won back to back.

1 Like

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by aaking(m): 11:25am On Aug 26, 2021
Searching for arsenal right now grin grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by etcme(m): 11:25am On Aug 26, 2021
We are ready
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Ronsive: 11:25am On Aug 26, 2021
Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Authoreety: 11:25am On Aug 26, 2021
I need plenty of money.
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by OakConsultNG: 11:26am On Aug 26, 2021
Alright..
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by mbahdi(m): 11:26am On Aug 26, 2021
Up eagles
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by CalabarPikin: 11:26am On Aug 26, 2021
UP GUNNERS
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by optimus106(m): 11:26am On Aug 26, 2021
shocked
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Sonnobax15(m): 11:27am On Aug 26, 2021
angry
Chelsea
PSG
Bayern munich
Juventus

Anything apart from this won't make me happy as a chelsea fan tongue.

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by money121(m): 11:27am On Aug 26, 2021
Ok
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Pearlqueen(f): 11:27am On Aug 26, 2021
Manchester United
Villarreal
Atalanta
Sheriff Tiraspol

My prediction

3 Likes

Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Blacknote: 11:29am On Aug 26, 2021
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by lessonotes(f): 11:29am On Aug 26, 2021
Group A: Man City, PSG, RB Leipzig, Club Bruges
Group B: Atletico Madrid, Liverpool, Porto, AC Milan
Group C: Sporting Lisbon, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax, Besiktas
Group D: Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sheriff Tiraspol
Group E: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Benfica, Dynamo Kyiv
Group F: Villarreal, Man Utd, Atalanta, Young Boys
Group G: Lille, Sevilla, Salzburg, Wolfsburg
Group H: Chelsea, Juventus, Zenit, Malmo

Please if you have any experience trading Nigerian or American Stocks, please we need your honest advise in the thread below. Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/6717743/please-advise-invest-nigerian-stock
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by WhizdomXX(m): 11:29am On Aug 26, 2021
Lovely
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by Kaybee14(m): 11:29am On Aug 26, 2021
Ok. It is noted.
Re: Champions League Group-stage Draw: All You Need To Know by optimus106(m): 11:30am On Aug 26, 2021
PSG won't even smell second place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Was Odion Ighalo’s Miss Worse Than Yakubu Vs. South Korea? / Joshua, Antetokounmpo Make Forbes’ Highest-paid Athletes List / Mentioning Messi Saved My Life, Says Argentine Kidnapped In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.