Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1167840 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:14am On Dec 06, 2021
LagosismyHome:

To make matters worse BA cancelled its yesterday flight from lagos , meaning all those passengers Will now be subjected to the new process. Very stressful and upsetting
So tired of covid and its disruptions

You can say THAT again.
Difficult as it sounds, its time to accept that Covid is now something that is here to stay, intensity differing, and has to be lived with, the constant bans, border closures and lockdowns are ultimately unsustainable.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:15am On Dec 06, 2021
wallg123:

May God help you find the best solution to deal with this restrictions. Amen

Thanks bro.

Still planning and weighing up options
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:29am On Dec 06, 2021
HiddenID:

Can't believe they canceled that flight shocked You won't believe how much we paid for that flight and I bet other people possibly paid even more. I suspected this ban thing coming, hence my last post which you kindly provided some advice on. My person couldn't meet up anyway but we got a BA eVoucher

So sorry about your loss @justwise and I pray your travel is sorted quickly

Thank you.

Was the flight cancelled and rescheduled or
outright cancellation?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 10:57am On Dec 06, 2021
Please I want to convert naira to pounds.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 06, 2021
justwise:

Yes I'm currently in Nigeria, buried my mum yesterday so could not act quickly to change my ticket, wouldn't have got the test done today and get morning ticket for tomorrow,

The whole thing is a big headache to me now ,

Hopefully by Wednesday there will much clarity about this,

I am so sorry. The sad thing is that the Nigerian government is not helping. I saw Lai Mohammed comment on the issue. He was just adding petrol to the fire. He was saying "94% of Nigerians are not vaccinated" why will a country say such in this kind of situation?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HiddenID(m): 1:41pm On Dec 06, 2021
justwise:

Thank you.

Was the flight cancelled and rescheduled or
outright cancellation?
Outright cancellation. I couldn't cancel by myself via the booking portal, so I called customer service and they said my only option was a full refund via the voucher. I went for it as it was better than nothing.

This was way before the flight was then cancelled by the airline as I am hearing now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:21pm On Dec 06, 2021
HiddenID:

Outright cancellation. I couldn't cancel by myself via the booking portal, so I called customer service and they said my only option was a full refund via the voucher. I went for it as it was better than nothing.

This was way before the flight was then cancelled by the airline as I am hearing now.

It so annoying when they cancel a flight and give voucher.....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by izyblaze(f): 3:55pm On Dec 06, 2021
There is no harm in telling the person the truth, if the person refuses to understand, that’s on them. The problem is lying and the encouragement of housing them, that’s wrong. LYING is a NO NO
LagosismyHome:

A friend and her son were relocating from naija , her plan was to stay with her brother only for him to say he relocating to USA. She came and found her own accommodation

It then turns out the brother was never relocating anywhere and just lied....but then do you blame him

When I asked what was her plan, she had planned for her and her son to live with her brother for one year, but he lives in a one bed and has lived alone for yearssss. He didn't have the courage to say no so he lived, but can't blame him. One year plan in his one bed, that isn't fair to him too but most times people think only of themselves. What they can save not how inconvenient it is to the host
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:49pm On Dec 06, 2021
LagosismyHome:

It so annoying when they cancel a flight and give voucher.....
For a BA cancelled flight from Nigeria, they offered me a voucher that was the cost of the ticket but I rejeted it and then they offered me a cash refund which was almost the cost of the ticket. The flight was cancelled but then operated the next day. They put passengers in Hilton and flew us to the UK the next day but I still asked for compensation and got it. If they offer you a voucher for a cancelled flight and you do not want it, ask for cash instead although voucher value may be more than what you paid.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 6:22pm On Dec 06, 2021
is it possible to fly to Dubai, Spain etc then chill there for say 14days to book another flight to UK?

Dubai just opened up to Nigeria again.

This covid palava is relly testing patience. the last thing one needs is to get stuck in a place unprepared
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 7:25pm On Dec 06, 2021
dustydee:

For a BA cancelled flight from Nigeria, they offered me a voucher that was the cost of the ticket but I rejeted it and then they offered me a cash refund which was almost the cost of the ticket. The flight was cancelled but then operated the next day. They put passengers in Hilton and flew us to the UK the next day but I still asked for compensation and got it. If they offer you a voucher for a cancelled flight and you do not want it, ask for cash instead although voucher value may be more than what you paid.
These days (pandemic era) you’ll either take that voucher or forfeit the entire fee. They ”BA” are not the reason why flights are cancelled, it’s the UK government. It’s always advisable to read the T&C before booking flights. People that booked through third parties would be crying now unless they have travel insurance

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 7:45pm On Dec 06, 2021
I have some friends stuck in Nigeria at the moment and this is their plan to get back into UK
DisGuy:
is it possible to fly to Dubai, Spain etc then chill there for say 14days to book another flight to UK?

This covid palava is relly testing patience. the last thing one needs is to get stuck in a place unprepared

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 7:48pm On Dec 06, 2021
How much
gistbite:
Please I want to convert naira to pounds.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 7:08am On Dec 07, 2021
I can’t remember who it was that suggested Lemonade finance on here. Whoever it is, just wanted to say a massive thank you to you. Downloaded the app this morning, funded my wallet and initiated a transfer. I kid you not, the money was in my GTBank account in less than one minute. I’m very impressed. The rate is also very reasonable. Merci.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:48am On Dec 07, 2021
wallg123:

These days (pandemic era) you’ll either take that voucher or forfeit the entire fee. They ”BA” are not the reason why flights are cancelled, it’s the UK government. It’s always advisable to read the T&C before booking flights. People that booked through third parties would be crying now unless they have travel insurance

Good spot, mate.
Airlines don't refund these days, its vouchers only, take it or leave it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omicron999: 9:54am On Dec 07, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Good spot, mate.
Airlines don't refund these days, its vouchers only, take it or leave it.

But a legislation exists that you cannot be forced to collect a voucher. Reject the voucher and a bank alert would ring, within a few weeks.

UK (EU) Reg No 261/2004.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 10:55am On Dec 07, 2021
KLM still converts vouchers to cash as at September

BA has gone low like RyanAir
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by quivah(f): 1:16pm On Dec 07, 2021
Hi my people.
My family and I are enroute Swansea come Jan.
Finally!!

However, there's one thing I have on my mind that has been given me concern.
During covid vaccination I dropped my father's name as my last name however, my passport, health certificate and everything carries my maiden name.
I did the vaccination before any of the others avd it just happened that I dropped my new name subsciously lol.
But thinking about it now, it's scary.
Is there any implications to this? Or is it possible to change the name I have on the covid card??

Biko help a sister.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 2:23pm On Dec 07, 2021
Mimzyy:
I can’t remember who it was that suggested Lemonade finance on here. Whoever it is, just wanted to say a massive thank you to you. Downloaded the app this morning, funded my wallet and initiated a transfer. I kid you not, the money was in my GTBank account in less than one minute. I’m very impressed. The rate is also very reasonable. Merci.

What's the rate please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mamatwiny(f): 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2021
gistbite:

Ticket. Even the quarantine hotel next available date is on the 13th so I have to reschedule my flight.

Please how did you get this information? We are almost in same shoes on this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mamatwiny(f): 6:26pm On Dec 07, 2021
DisGuy:

I am thinking of this route but my children are also involved. They are still small and may not cope.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mamatwiny(f): 6:28pm On Dec 07, 2021
Mimzyy:
Ohentpay rate is usually better.

I need a similar service to send money from my naija account to my UK account.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 7:59pm On Dec 07, 2021
mamatwiny:

Yeah but they charge for transfers which comes down to similar rate

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 9:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
mamatwiny:

I checked the website for available dates
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 10:32pm On Dec 07, 2021
mamatwiny:

there is space oo. Try it again. Sofitel, crowne plaza, raddison blu, holiday inn to name a few… send the email and you will get the link to book. As long as u hav the money inside ur card ready. There are hotels and u certainly dnt have to eait
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 11:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
Oggg:
there is space oo. Try it again. Sofitel, crowne plaza, raddison blu, holiday inn to name a few… send the email and you will get the link to book. As long as u hav the money inside ur card ready. There are hotels and u certainly dnt have to eait
They just added these hotels. I was able to get an earlier date.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adapapaokoye: 1:11am On Dec 08, 2021
Hello House
My cousin studied Accounting in Nigeria and she plans to apply for masters in Nursing.

She said the agency told her it's possible but I am having doubts

Please what do you think
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 1:20am On Dec 08, 2021
It was 722ngn to £1 when I sent yesterday morning.

tushqueen:

What's the rate please

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 1:23am On Dec 08, 2021
They charge about £5 though while lemonade is zero charges but noted. Thanks a lot.

mamatwiny:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by quivah(f): 5:34am On Dec 08, 2021
quivah:
Hi my people.
My family and I are enroute Swansea come Jan.
Finally!!

However, there's one thing I have on my mind that has been given me concern.
During covid vaccination I dropped my father's name as my last name however, my passport, health certificate and everything carries my maiden name.
I did the vaccination before any of the others avd it just happened that I dropped my new name subsciously lol.
But thinking about it now, it's scary.
Is there any implications to this? Or is it possible to change the name I have on the covid card??

Biko help a sister.

Please advise me.
Should I leave things as they are, or I should try and see if I can change the name on the card, or can my marriage cert and newspaper change of name stand in?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 5:50am On Dec 08, 2021
Mimzyy:

Yay

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 6:36am On Dec 08, 2021
Was it you? Thanks a lot wink smiley

canadaishome:

Yay

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.