Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:03 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1145358 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 12:15am On Sep 12, 2021
IamE:
Need answer to this.
ask on the passport thread... cost of nigerian passport thread or so
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 6:17am On Sep 12, 2021
jtech17:

Thanks contra... document well received

Link isn't going through... although I'm accessing it from Nigeria

Link is not going through
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by contra(m): 7:25am On Sep 12, 2021
AirBay:

Link is not going through

Nairaland won't allow the website. But you can search blog spot "First 5 years in the UK as a Nigerian Expatriate (Migrant)". On iephraim blog spot

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:26am On Sep 12, 2021
tanson:

We’re you guys able to get a house before landing in the UK, and what platform or means did you use? It’s been proving very difficult for us.

Yes we did

Through Facebook then via the leasing agency

Which city are you heading to?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 10:55am On Sep 12, 2021
Please send me a copy of the five page document

Thanks
contra:

Welcome to the abroad. You didn't indicate visa you came in with. I'm assuming student? You usually can't do any work without your NI and you require DBS for only a few jobs. You can do volunteer jobs for a few weeks as you have been advised and that will count as part of your UK experience.
I wish you all the best.

NB- I have a 5 page document i titled "First 5 years in the UK as a Nigerian Expatriate (Migrant)". Although it's for skilled workers, others may find it useful. Let me know via pm if you need it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 2:04pm On Sep 12, 2021
I am just hearing this, does one need the NI number to get a job under student Visa? My husband has been applying for few jobs and they havent asked for such yet.
Aminess1:
Good evening brother’s and sister’s, God bless you all for your helpful tips .
I’m new here in Leicester with my family, we moved to our rented flat yesterday and now applying for jobs (support work ) I’ve received two calls from my application and both asked if a have care giver experience and I said No and they told me to do volunteer jobs for three months before I start application. I don’t have DBS and NI-NUMBER ( I’ve applied for NI number and only have registration number) .
Please how is the best way to start work ASAP for my husband and I ?
Please pardon me if this has been sorted out before .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Captaincool1(m): 2:44pm On Sep 12, 2021
Preshyi:
I am just hearing this, does one need the NI number to get a job under student Visa? My husband has been applying for few jobs and they havent asked for such yet.

You wouldn't have said no. You will just say yes. Cos before you work you will be giving a basic training. You would have done some couses on caregiving and have a certificate or diploma in caregiving. If you are asked say yes I can and get a basic info on anything you want to put head. Imagine to get job as a cleaner you will be asked do you have experience in it I will say yes.

Haven't you taken care of your elderly ones before? Haven't you assisted an elderly one to cross the road those are experiences you can't apply to that company again even if you have the experience.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maplef: 4:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
Aminess1:
Good evening brother’s and sister’s, God bless you all for your helpful tips .
I’m new here in Leicester with my family, we moved to our rented flat yesterday and now applying for jobs (support work ) I’ve received two calls from my application and both asked if a have care giver experience and I said No and they told me to do volunteer jobs for three months before I start application. I don’t have DBS and NI-NUMBER ( I’ve applied for NI number and only have registration number) .
Please how is the best way to start work ASAP for my husband and I ?
Please pardon me if this has been sorted out before .

Hello @Aminess1, how did you go about getting your accommodation in Leicester. I'm having difficulties in securing one.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tanson: 6:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
canadaishome:

Yes we did

Through Facebook then via the leasing agency

Which city are you heading to?

We are headed to Sheffield for our quarantine, had to get an Airbnb. We tried Facebook Marketplace for a while but we almost got scammed twice. The people I chatted with sent me a fake Airbnb link to insert card details, thank God for sharpness. That was the last time invisited Facebook in search of an apartment.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by izyblaze(f): 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 4:53am On Sep 14, 2021
babajeje123:

Please where is your company based? I'm studying cyber security and looking for internship placement in January

What duration are you looking at for the internship??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 5:07am On Sep 14, 2021
Bluetherapy:
I would like to know which airline one can fly from Nigeria to UK trying to avaoid BA as much as possible. He reach to almost pay school fees grin.

KLM and airfrance seems to be the logical one to take, but there's this confusion about needing transit visa or not. Has anyone flied them recently?

https://www.klm.com/travel/ng_en/campaigns/nigeria_flight_schedule.htm

Transit visa is mandatory unless you hold visit visa for countries like US and Canada. Read up on both airlines website. I understand people from Nigeria have not been allowed to board as they are unaware of this requirement. The rules changed in January following the end of the transition period for uk's exit from the EU.

I believe this has also led to a spike in the number of people choosing to travel with the likes of Qatar.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rheminix(m): 5:31am On Sep 14, 2021
Good morning everyone, please where I can enroll to get a Nigerian national insurance number, cos I heard it's compulsory before one can renew passport. Please help me out here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 7:14am On Sep 14, 2021
umarwy:

What duration are you looking at for the internship??
My Uni expects me to have it for 3 months (January ending - April) however we can extend it further if we so wish till September. The only thing is that the Uni won't recognize the extension. So officially, 3 months unofficially, 6-8 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:29am On Sep 14, 2021
izyblaze:
Not sure if this is the right thread, or I should post it in the student thread? But here it goes...

What advice would you give to a flourishing business owner, with a 1st class in Bsc computer science, for choice of masters in order to get a job? Let me post as received.

"I need advice. I love working in an IT space, that's the reason I went back to school to get my degree, despite having a flourishing business. My goal is to become a computer and information systems manager, but I know to attain this, I need to get entry level roles, so I can gain experience. So my problem is this, I hate to code, I've tried learning coding, but it's too frustrating for me, I only enjoy Logic and Strategic research. What would you suggest?"

From my limited knowledge in Tech, I advised him to go for IT business Analytics as it's a bridge between business and Tech, it's also in the skills shortage list in UK and Ireland, however I don't know if it requires coding, I know it focuses mainly on logic and research. Please, experienced people in the house, what would you suggest? P.S money is not an issue, if you can also suggest certifications he can take, during his study that'll be relevant in the long run, that'll be much appreciated. Thank you.

Enterprise Governance

IT Risk & Governance

IT Audit

IT Project Management

An MBA program will also suffice with a concentration in IT

Na ultimate search e go need do for courses LOL

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:01pm On Sep 14, 2021
A very good read (I think)......... wink

Corrupt Oil Trader Turns On Colleagues in Massive Africa Bribe Case https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-14/glencore-trader-africa-bribe-case-2021
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tanson: 12:21pm On Sep 14, 2021
Good afternoon all,
Please for those that travelled recently, what COVID lab did you use for your day2, 8 & 5 tests and delivered results on time.
The reviews I am reading online (Dante & Co.) are not encouraging at all.
Also, any walk-in(on-site) COVID center in Sheffield, could save a lot with this.
Thanks for your usual help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oladimeji69: 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2021
tanson:
Good afternoon all,
Please for those that travelled recently, what COVID lab did you use for your day2, 8 & 5 tests and delivered results on time.
The reviews I am reading online (Dante & Co.) are not encouraging at all.
Also, any walk-in(on-site) COVID center in Sheffield, could save a lot with this.
Thanks for your usual help.

I booked with Dante lab I didn't get the result on time and at some point they were not replying my mails, but they actually gave me all my result at day 10 of my quarantine. It was a bad experience for me but I actually enjoy the fact that I perform the swab myself.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 3:04pm On Sep 14, 2021
Lexusgs430:
A very good read (I think)......... wink

Corrupt Oil Trader Turns On Colleagues in Massive Africa Bribe Case https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-14/glencore-trader-africa-bribe-case-2021

Na wa o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:15pm On Sep 14, 2021
Does anyone know care agencies that are offering sponsorship for the new care work visa. .... please dm me if you know any. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 8:54pm On Sep 14, 2021
Hello everyone, good job for the direction and clarity provided over the years.

I have a question on CoS. My employer provided my CoS over two weeks ago which I updated on my visa application. However, I was able to renegotiate my annual pay which led to my recruiter insisting that I will have to get an updated CoS to reflect my new pay before I can proceed with my application.

I am just wondering what will be the implication if I use the old annual pay as it is also above the minimum pay for tier 2 visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by izyblaze(f): 9:51pm On Sep 14, 2021
Thank you
hustla:

Enterprise Governance

IT Risk & Governance

IT Audit

IT Project Management

An MBA program will also suffice with a concentration in IT

Na ultimate search e go need do for courses LOL
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzland: 10:10pm On Sep 14, 2021
Hello, gurus in the house. A new thread has been created, specially dedicated to the 'UK Skilled Worker visa (formerly Tier 2 visa) & Health and Care Worker visa'.
Please follow the link below to connect with like-minded people and share useful information, tips, links, etc. Our goal is to see each other succeed in this pursuit and meet together at last in the UK. Thanks.
https://www.nairaland.com/6748312/uk-skilled-worker-visa-health#105727486
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 10:40pm On Sep 14, 2021
Hwy9:
Hello everyone, good job for the direction and clarity provided over the years.

I have a question on CoS. My employer provided my CoS over two weeks ago which I updated on my visa application. However, I was able to renegotiate my annual pay which led to my recruiter insisting that I will have to get an updated CoS to reflect my new pay before I can proceed with my application.

I don't think that would be necessary because you have already uploaded and done your biometrics (I suppose).

Or do you mean you are yet to do biometrics

I am just wondering what will be the implication if I use the old annual pay as it is also above the minimum pay for tier 2 visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 14, 2021
@mamatukwas please i would like to send an item to Nigeria. I am bAsed in london
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Contra5(f): 12:16am On Sep 15, 2021
Hello house,

I've got some naira that I would like to change to ££. Please let me know if anyone here is interested. Thank you. @omopapa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 12:34am On Sep 15, 2021
Yeah I have responded
Contra5:
Hello house,

I've got some naira that I would like to change to ££. Please let me know if anyone here is interested. Thank you. @omopapa?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (1007)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.