Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (184) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1168248 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 12:08pm On Jan 13, 2022
justwise:

Those who know how to play the system earns more than a lot of people working full time.

In fact the UK biggest problem is the benefit system and it’s one of the reasons we are taxed to death

A friend of mine was recently given a 3 bedroom house, brand new build. Beds and wardrobes provided, white goods included, living room rugged. Hers is to rug the remaining rooms. No, she isn’t paying a dime but she is complaining bitterly that the house is outskirts (20 minutes drive from towns centre), why didn’t they rug the entire house?, where do they want her to get the money to complete the rest of the rooms. It’s far from kids school cos their school is in town.

I just weak listening to her moan about why government isn’t doing this and that for her. Like 1/3 of my salary goes to taxes and NI funding your likes and you are complaining

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 12:09pm On Jan 13, 2022
marylandcakes:

You are right, most Uk cities with a train station and high street have these problems. Glasgow is the no one drug capital of Europe so Scotland is not exempted.

The Most Dangerous Areas in Scotland
0 Comments
962f0214632a214aa51d0e77ce0c605d?s=96&d=mm&r=g scotland
Written by regionadmin

2nd April 2021

Scotland
When it comes to researching the most dangerous places to live and work in Scotland, a lot of different types of surveys would appear ranging from all of the crime rates that can occur in the area. Scotland is an independent country and though a lot of the research found was closely linked to other parts of the United Kingdom these are the top 6 places for high crime rate in just Scotland alone:
Glasgow City
Edinburgh City
Dundee City
West Dunbartonshire
North Lanarkshire
Aberdeen City

You have a point, and yes glasgow has an increasing drug rate over the years. I saw the documentary and have been following up with the news on that topic.

Yes, there’s gonna be increase crime rate in any city that houses people from different countries, origin and culture.

But one thing I think you may have gotten wrong is comparing the crime rate (not junkies) in Scotland to other parts of the UK (England to be precise in this discussion). The other types of crime that are very common in London are not as common here in Glasgow. Yes, it’s possible the crimes are here, but not as pronounced as with London.

Also you searched for the cities with high crime rate in Scotland, you obviously will have cities listed out. If I am to search for cities with high crime rate in Finland, New Zealand or Sweden (which happen to be the peaceful countries on earth), you will still find cities listed out.

What I think you should do is type top 10 cities with high crime rate in uk. Then check how many cities are from Scotland. If you still think it’s too small, then you can increase to top 20 and see how many Scottish cities will appear.

NB: I am still Johnny just come in some ways, but this is a topic I researched thoroughly before choosing Scotland as a place to school and live with my family.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sgtponzihater1(m): 12:52pm On Jan 13, 2022
Please what's the latest guidance for traveling from Nigeria to UK regarding predepature covid test. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 1:31pm On Jan 13, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Only worse smiley cheesy grin

London is big so not everywhere oooo. I don't see druggie or poo in my area. Even the train station area is quite neat . You have some good areas in West London.

Tell me the part of West London and I will tell you the bad areas. Even Kensington and Chelsea have bad areas.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2022
Chreze:

You have a point, and yes glasgow has an increasing drug rate over the years. I saw the documentary and have been following up with the news on that topic.

Yes, there’s gonna be increase crime rate in any city that houses people from different countries, origin and culture.

But one thing I think you may have gotten wrong is comparing the crime rate (not junkies) in Scotland to other parts of the UK (England to be precise in this discussion). The other types of crime that are very common in London are not as common here in Glasgow. Yes, it’s possible the crimes are here, but not as pronounced as with London.

Also you searched for the cities with high crime rate in Scotland, you obviously will have cities listed out. If I am to search for cities with high crime rate in Finland, New Zealand or Sweden (which happen to be the peaceful countries on earth), you will still find cities listed out.

What I think you should do is type top 10 cities with high crime rate in uk. Then check how many cities are from Scotland. If you still think it’s too small, then you can increase to top 20 and see how many Scottish cities will appear.

NB: I am still Johnny just come in some ways, but this is a topic I researched thoroughly before choosing Scotland as a place to school and live with my family.

The point I am trying to make is that all cities have got their good and bad areas some worst than others, drug problems is as bad as knife problems because it tears families apart and changes their lives forever. When the drug problem is taken out, it will reduce the other crimes.

If you want to live in a crime free area it’s better to live in a small village, with no train station or high street. With one c of England, one pub and one corner shop. And where everyone knows each other and know when a strange face comes into town.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 1:58pm On Jan 13, 2022
justwise:

The problem I have with Luton is lack of investment in social infrastructures, they keep maintaining outdated infrastructures and refused to modernise them. This is very common in many city councils outside London where you have majority ethnic minority running the council, running most of the businesses, owning houses. They award contracts to companies linked to friends and families. No maintenance culture. Identify politics etc.

The same problem in Bradford but look at Leeds which is just 20mins away, far better than Bradford’, properly managed.

The whole thing be come a mess when Eastern Europeans moved in especially gypsy Romanians . Crime and antisocial issues skyrocketed.

Almost like you’re describing the London borough of Tower hamlets same thing is happening there.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 2:33pm On Jan 13, 2022
gratefulme40:

A friend of mine was recently given a 3 bedroom house, brand new build.

On what basis? Marital, Disable, Sexual?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2022
gratefulme40:

A friend of mine was recently given a 3 bedroom house, brand new build. Beds and wardrobes provided, white goods included, living room rugged. Hers is to rug the remaining rooms. No, she isn’t paying a dime but she is complaining bitterly that the house is outskirts (20 minutes drive from towns centre), why didn’t they rug the entire house?, where do they want her to get the money to complete the rest of the rooms. It’s far from kids school cos their school is in town.

I just weak listening to her moan about why government isn’t doing this and that for her. Like 1/3 of my salary goes to taxes and NI funding your likes and you are complaining
Just imagine that! That sort of person will never get a job, just stay home making babies and claiming even more benefits while we work to pay for it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2022
marylandcakes:

The point I am trying to make is that all cities have got their good and bad areas some worst than others, drug problems is as bad as knife problems because it tears families apart and changes their lives forever. When the drug problem is taken out, it will reduce the other crimes.

If you want to live in a crime free area it’s better to live in a small village, with no train station or high street. With one c of England, one pub and one corner shop. And where everyone knows each other and know when a strange face comes into town.

Very true. You are right. The small villages/town thing is very true. You will be surprise when you enter the only bus that leaves Within an hour and the person beside you will say “ Hi” , you reply “Hi” and the next thing is “how are you guys settling in” or “how are you guys finding the village”. You go con de wonder how them take know say you just enter the place. But hey, everybody knows everybody in small villages and they know their stories too. Them go tell you the story of the person wey de live for your house before, how the person and him wife divorce and them con sell the house to John, then John con rent am to you….. grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:52pm On Jan 13, 2022
marylandcakes:

Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 2:54pm On Jan 13, 2022
Unfortunately, that is the world we are in. After a while, she will be able to buy the council house at a ridiculously discounted price. It is a crime to be working in this country.

Another thing I can't explain is how come the government give those that are on benefits 15hours free childcare from when their kids are 2 year old while the option is not available for we that are working. Are we not the people that need this the most?
justwise:

Just imagine that! That sort of person will never get a job, just stay home making babies and claiming even more benefits while we work to pay for it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 2:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
AirBay:

On what basis? Marital, Disable, Sexual?

Single mom I guess. She is separated from hubby due to domestic violence (according to her). She has 3 kids
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 3:04pm On Jan 13, 2022
gratefulme40:

Single mom I guess. She is separated from hubby due to domestic violence (according to her). She has 3 kids

Na d sure way
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MISSYTOSIN(f): 3:23pm On Jan 13, 2022
Abeg, who get naira ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:04pm On Jan 13, 2022
gratefulme40:

shocked if person separate from him wife them go give am house too?

grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 4:10pm On Jan 13, 2022
Chreze:

grin grin cheesy cheesy

May be you can try separating from yours so we can see lol

I don’t know jare. I guess it depends on who has the kids. She was initially given 2 bedroom temporarily pending when a 3 bed comes out since she has 3 kids of different sex

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by twizzie: 4:18pm On Jan 13, 2022
I went to visit a friend in Luton who just moved to the UK and I can tell you all what he described is true. I could not hide my discomfort and I had to blurt it out why they chose that location. I only spent a few hours though but I would not advise anyone to live there.
fatima04:

Na wa oo @bolded when it's not oshodi. Are you sure it's not the part of Luton you live? Although I heard Luton is quite rough from someone that lived there and looking to move but not the extent of what you have described here.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 4:38pm On Jan 13, 2022
While I am sure there are good areas, I never did get a good impression of Luton the few times I drove through in November....too many derelict houses left and right...

Meanwhile, is it me or is the weather warm for winter?( it felt much colder early Dec...)
Will it get colder in later Jan/Feb?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
mimilyrics:
Same with my part of London. It's so calm, clean and quiet, no druggies. Wasn't always like that though. It was not so calm when we had a large estate used as council houses and load of young people who didn't have a care in the world. Council housing gone from there now but estate remains looking fab.

Who no go no go know.... some areas are truly not like that .

So cheers to the residents and council for keeping it calm, clean and quiet

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
gratefulme40:

I don’t know jare. I guess it depends on who has the kids. She was initially given 2 bedroom temporarily pending when a 3 bed comes out since she has 3 kids of different sex

Hahaha at bold wink grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 5:17pm On Jan 13, 2022
Good Evening Everyone.

Thank you for all the support being rendered.

My passport expires in 6 months and I would like to renew ahead of applying for a Visa.

Please, anyone know of any trusted contact that can help FastTrack my passport renewal?

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 13, 2022
OSCARTM:

You might need to raise your budget if you want a 2bed.

Confirm your wife's weekly lecture schedule; considering the wave of the pandemic especially in London, most schools encourage online classes. It is not compulsory to search for apartment close to her school, she'll barely attend classes for up to 3 times a week.

Your budget will get you a decent 1bedroom apartment around Bexleyheath, Dartford, Kent, Woolwich Arsenal and Stratford. Your wife should also apply for student Oyster card upon arrival, it makes commuting cheaper.
Good evening and happy new year, you haven’t been online on WhatsApp since 1st of Jan this year.

I wanted to ask you a few questions, I have started my Cybersecurity self-placed learning already but I wanted to ask if I could do CompTIA A+ training just for the knowledge without taking the core 1 and core 2 exams.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 5:51pm On Jan 13, 2022
MISSYTOSIN:
Abeg, who get naira ?

Moi. Kindly DM
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OSCARTM: 6:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
Simran94:

Good evening and happy new year, you haven’t been online on WhatsApp since 1st of Jan this year.

I wanted to ask you a few questions, I have started my Cybersecurity self-placed learning already but I wanted to ask if I could do CompTIA A+ training just for the knowledge without taking the core 1 and core 2 exams.

I only go online whenever I see a request for my account number grin

It's a good idea to do CompTIA A+ training, you will learn background information in IT. It is easier to protect what you understand.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 6:23pm On Jan 13, 2022
gratefulme40:

In Lasisi’s voice “I am not the one asking ooo, I am asking for the mechanic that stays beside our house”….

I was asking because e b like this cheating for men de increase daily.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 13, 2022
OSCARTM:

I only go online whenever I see a request for my account number grin

It's a good idea to do CompTIA A+ training, you will learn background information in IT. It is easier to protect what you understand.

Oh okay thank you, you like money oo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 6:43pm On Jan 13, 2022
MISSYTOSIN:
Abeg, who get naira ?

I have.
What's your rate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
justwise:

Oga Justwise provoke LMAO allow them to multiply o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fadhilat1: 7:32pm On Jan 13, 2022
For those interested in Data Science,

Calling all Speaking head in silhouette early career Black #datascientists! Are you seeking the opportunity to expand your knowledge & hands-on experience in the #STEM sector?

Closing 21 Jan, intern applications for our paid 8-week #BlackInternProg are still open Rightwards arrow apply today: https:///3n34Pdc?twclid=11481692113930756102

https://www.hdruk.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/HDRUK_BlackInternship-INTERNS_INT.pdf?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HayTerran: 10:02pm On Jan 13, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Spare yourself the stress! Those who currently on ground are struggling to meet the requirements.

Oh, damn. Take care.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 10:34pm On Jan 13, 2022
dupyshoo:
Unfortunately, that is the world we are in. After a while, she will be able to buy the council house at a ridiculously discounted price. It is a crime to be working in this country.

Another thing I can't explain is how come the government give those that are on benefits 15hours free childcare from when their kids are 2 year old while the option is not available for we that are working. Are we not the people that need this the most?

Since childcare is one of the biggest barriers to employment, they are given the chance you find work - not that majority use that time to find work. The other big issue is that the outcomes for children from benefit dependent households is lower, very very much lower than those of children with at least one working parent. Those children are behind in almost every aspect at the time they start school - reading, comprehension, maths, social skills etc - so allowing them to access free childcare early means that they get a leg up to meet their peers on an even footing. It's also a very convenient way of social service surveillance. Domestic abuse, child abuse is picked up way faster when the children are in a childcare setting.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 10:37pm On Jan 13, 2022
Chreze:

grin grin cheesy cheesy

If you end up with the kids, yes. Otherwise, you're on your own! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.