Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (324) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1168165 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (321) (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 6:36pm On Mar 16, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Did the ‘shoe store’ have Nike on the front? grin

hahaha. it was a "sporting goods store" na a la sports direct. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 6:51pm On Mar 16, 2022
Yes how much
deept:
@omopapa,

Do you have naira?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 6:57pm On Mar 16, 2022
My people, please make una help me too. I have not even spent one month in the UK, and I was advised to call the police.

I moved to this house recently, and since I came in, I noticed an influx of people besides my flats. Some guys are there selling drugs, but it's not my concern. A council lady came and dropped her card. She requested I call her, which I did, and she asked if I had noticed any strange activities in the house, but I answered NO that what I saw was the untidiness around the stairs. Because I feel she may even be working with them.
So last week, I bought a camera always to see the people dropping my packages and ensure we are at least secure. I didn't face the camera towards the step but just opposite my door. This evening I came back from work, lo and beheld the camera was expunged. I quickly called the agent, and she told me the Council is actually on the matter of that house that I should calm down, and she will get back to me. She call me back that I should inform the police. Now my question is, I am scared to start calling the police—something I have never done in my life, even when in Nigeria. I am scared. What do you think I should do? Call the police or hold on?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 7:17pm On Mar 16, 2022
Akorkor:
My people, please make una help me too. I have not even spent one month in the UK, and I was advised to call the police.

I moved to this house recently, and since I came in, I noticed an influx of people besides my flats. Some guys are there selling drugs, but it's not my concern. A council lady came and dropped her card. She requested I call her, which I did, and she asked if I had noticed any strange activities in the house, but I answered NO that what I saw was the untidiness around the stairs. Because I feel she may even be working with them.
So last week, I bought a camera always to see the people dropping my packages and ensure we are at least secure. I didn't face the camera towards the step but just opposite my door. This evening I came back from work, lo and beheld the camera was expunged. I quickly called the agent, and she told me the Council is actually on the matter of that house that I should calm down, and she will get back to me. She call me back that I should inform the police. Now my question is, I am scared to start calling the police—something I have never done in my life, even when in Nigeria. I am scared. What do you think I should do? Call the police or hold on?

If I remember correctly you have kids or are expecting them to come join you abi? Doesn’t sound like an environment that is family friendly. Call the police and start looking for new accommodation ASAP!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 7:18pm On Mar 16, 2022
Mamatukwas:

If I remember correctly you have kids or are expecting them to come join you abi? Doesn’t sound like an environment that is family friendly. Call the police and start looking for new accommodation ASAP!

Yes, but they are not here for now. Planning to move before they come back finally
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BuildingProject: 7:24pm On Mar 16, 2022
LagosismyHome:

5 years work visa = ILR (student visa is not a work visa so not included, PSW Not included as well )

10 years legally in UK = ILR (time spent as a student will count and so will PSW )

If no company is ready to sponsor, then some people stay on student visa and see how they can drag studying for 10 years. Not a cheap options sha because school fees money is not beans but its how some people have gotten ILR especially those who start from A level or first degree

What if someone is able to secure a job that is paying like £26,000-30,000/annum. Do you still need the sponsorship? I read somewhere that even if you don't have a sponsor, so far you're earning certain amount, you qualify for renewal.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2022
BuildingProject:

What if someone is able to secure a job that is paying like £26,000-30,000/annum. Do you still need the sponsorship? I read somewhere that even if you don't have a sponsor, so far you're sending certain amount, you qualify for renewal.

You were misinformed ...securing a job, salary etc is different from sponsorship. The job or employer have to state that they would apply to the home office for a COS and sponsor that job

For tier 2 or skilled visa you need a sponsor which is the employer . Not all jobs or employer agree to sponsor
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 8:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
omopapa:
Yes how much

300 equivalent
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 8:10pm On Mar 16, 2022
Vacate the property ASAP, calling the police is indirectly involving ursef
Akorkor:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 8:11pm On Mar 16, 2022
E dey
deept:

300 equivalent
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2022
omopapa:
Vacate the property ASAP, calling the police is indirectly involving ursef

I have informed the police already. Vacating property is not easy and getting a new apartment is not easy too. Thanks for your advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 8:54pm On Mar 16, 2022
Akorkor:

I will advice you to move immediately, and change your address on banks/mobile/NI etc.

Calling police might call for retaliation, in addition police for this country na catch and release, they might come for a drug bust and not find any drugs as some of these guys can be Walter White.

And they might suspect you.

Please don't look at the short term financial impact of moving.

Try to move with friends/church/mosque etc.

Na only one life we get oh.

What area are you residing please.

I am not trying to scare you but there are lots of knifes on the street

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 9:13pm On Mar 16, 2022
umarwy:

I will advice you to move immediately, and change your address on banks/mobile/NI etc.

Calling police might call for retaliation, in addition police for this country na catch and release, they might come for a drug bust and not find any drugs as some of these guys can be Walter White.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 9:17pm On Mar 16, 2022
umarwy:

Glasgow. A small county in Glasgow. I have called already. Well, it is what it is. Why would they remove my camera in the first place. And also, note that I didn’t mention any activities anyone is doing. I just reported about my stolen camera. It’s not my concern on whatever anyone is doing
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2022
Akorkor:

Glasgow. A small county in Glasgow. I have called already. Well, it is what it is. Why would they remove my camera in the first place. And also, note that I didn’t mention any activities anyone is doing. I just reported about my stolen camera. It’s not my concern on whatever anyone is doing
In my opinion na you find trouble o. You just sidan go buy camera for compound that is not your private property. Legally before recording any body or the activities of any body, you should seek their consent and they should agree. That you want to be seeing your deliveries and camera face your door is not tenable. If you feel unsecure, report to the authorities or vacate the premises. It's not up to you to investigate (in pretence), if you decide to take investigations into your hands, be discrete about it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 10:19pm On Mar 16, 2022
quote author=Viruses post=111100888]
In my opinion na you find trouble o. You just sidan go buy camera for compound that is not your private property. Legally before recording any body or the activities of any body, you should seek their consent and they should agree. That you want to be seeing your deliveries and camera face your door is not tenable. If you feel unsecure, report to the authorities or vacate the premises. It's not up to you to investigate (in pretence), if you decide to take investigations into your hands, be discrete about it.[/quote]

Na wa for you @ the bolded o. The way you conclude on this en. I didn’t find trouble. The camera only see people that comes in front of my door alone for delivery or myself alone. It’s a bell ring. No trouble found and I also have the evidence of where my camera was situated. This is just a door bell and not any cctv kind off. Anyways, what’s done is done. I have made use of advice I needed from the first response . Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:44pm On Mar 16, 2022
Akorkor:

I didn’t find trouble. The camera only see people that comes in front of my door alone for delivery or myself alone. It’s a bell ring. No trouble found and I also have the evidence of where my camera is situated. This is just a door bell and not any cctv kind off. Anyways, what’s done is done. I have made use of advice I needed from the first response . Thank you
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought it was those kind cctv cameras found in supermarkets and the likes.

Since you're feeling insecure, start looking for another house, not easy but you'll eventually get and I believe you're in a good position to terminate your contract without penalties since the agent is aware of the security concerns there.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2022
Viruses:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought it was those kind cctv cameras found in supermarkets and the likes.

Since you're feeling insecure, start looking for another house, not easy but you'll eventually get and I believe you're in a good position to terminate your contract without penalties since the agent is aware of the security concerns there.

Looking for another house already. If possible na to buy house but I heard that if you have not stayed up to 3 month in the UK the deposit is usually high like 30%. That’s what my bank told me sha. Anyways, the process is ON

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:36pm On Mar 16, 2022
mex551:
full time

Please what documents did you have to submit to get the credit card?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 12:01am On Mar 17, 2022
Akorkor:

Looking for another house already. If possible na to buy house but I heard that if you have not stayed up to 3 month in the UK the deposit is usually high like 30%. That’s what my bank told me sha. Anyways, the process is ON

Good advise from everyone but don't trust the police to do anything much about it. Best thing is to start house search as early as possible and move cos like someone said, knife and gang crimes on the High now.

Please stay safe. Buying house involves lots of things, good credit history, stable income for a certain period, finding a property, getting mortgage etc. All of this isn't easily achievable in a few months or when just starting a life in the UK. All the best
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uglyduckling: 12:03am On Mar 17, 2022
Lazy GPs and all.
The U.K. has the smallest number of GPs per patient population in the developed wall.
Only a blind person will deny that the NHS is collapsing.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:36am On Mar 17, 2022
BuildingProject:

What if someone is able to secure a job that is paying like £26,000-30,000/annum. Do you still need the sponsorship? I read somewhere that even if you don't have a sponsor, so far you're sending certain amount, you qualify for renewal.

There is supposedly a new visa class coming up this spring, The Scale up Visa, where you just need to earn up to £33,000 while working in an organisation that qualifies as a scale up company(a company with revenue or employee growth of at least 20% over last 3 years). It is an unsponsored route i.e you don't require sponsorship from the company just like the global talent visa and of course it counts towards ILR.

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 12:41am On Mar 17, 2022
Yampotatocarrot:
@Kaylov12 and any other person who have gone through the process, I'll be having my PGCE interview next week for two schools. One is using zoom while the other will be through teams.

Please, I will love to know what to expect and how to answer the questions during the interview.

Thanks in advance
Congratulations on the first step.

The Uni should let you know the interview format , but it is usually in two phases.

1. Prior to the interview: Some administer a test or ask for a subject knowledge audit to know confident you are on topics in the subject area.

2. For the interview:
You may be given a topic, and asked to talk them through how you would teach it (lesson presentation)

You would be asked questions like you are interviewing to be a teacher; the whys, whats and how. Safeguarding question always come up as well, including dicussion on an educational and Professional Issues.

You could PM me for more support.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 12:42am On Mar 17, 2022
Akorkor:

You have done the absolute right thing. Nothing is going to happen to you trust me. You ring the police because you have to report any crime, and what happened WAS a crime.

You don’t need to change anything. You install a camera for your safety, I have a ring camera facing my hallway, I also have a druggie lady as a neighbour and a lot of activities comes in and out of her flat, I install one for my deliveries as my goes missing when they leave it in front of my door.

You live in the UK, not some lawless country, and no need to fear by changing your bank etc. The only thing would be not raising children in an environment like that.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 12:46am On Mar 17, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Please what documents did you have to submit to get the credit card?

Usually it would be a drivers license or passport, depending if you applied online or inside a bank. Always help to have your name on the voters list, have a bank statement that is less than 3 months. And make sure you check your credit scoring regularly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:10am On Mar 17, 2022
Akorkor:

its in your best interest to move if you feel the environment is unsafe. Here all these small boys retaliate over small issues. To stab human no dey hard them. Everyday in London, its one staying story or another

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chukusi: 1:21am On Mar 17, 2022
Hello Guys.

I am on Tier 2 skilled worker. Some time ago I decided to help some of my friends make payments for Visa, some for school registrations etc. As time went by they referred mutual up to a point that I help make average of 6 transactions a week. St this rate I may pass the limit for transactions that I set while opening my UK bank. Even, some of the Official Websites have started rejecting my card. I get the money from them in naira, send to peers that need pounds and then assist with the payment.

I want to know, is there any implication to this as it relates to my credit points and in the future applying for ILR as I hope to maintain a clean slate. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:33am On Mar 17, 2022
chukusi:
Hello Guys.

I am on Tier 2 skilled worker. Some time ago I decided to help some of my friends make payments for Visa, some for school registrations etc. As time went by they referred mutual up to a point that I help make average of 6 transactions a week. St this rate I may pass the limit for transactions that I set while opening my UK bank. Even, some of the Official Websites have started rejecting my card. I get the money from them in naira, send to peers that need pounds and then assist with the payment.

I want to know, is there any implication to this as it relates to my credit points and in the future applying for ILR as I hope to maintain a clean slate. Thanks

The implication is, your bank withdraws their services and shuts your account down.........

They would start by blocking your account, conduct their own investigations, if nothing suspicions is picked up. They could release or shut account down.....

But you know, they now have their eye's on you ........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MabraO: 2:36am On Mar 17, 2022
CowbellY:

I heard turkey has "quality" things. Then I came here, went to a supposed shoe store in a "big" mall and they had fake Nikes. embarassed embarassed embarassed

If yiu want to get fake shoes go to JD all their shoes ante fake yet they. All themselves king is sneakers
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Prosperity4All: 7:16am On Mar 17, 2022
Ukliving:
Good day all,
Our visa will expire in January 2023.
I'm really confused on what to do. Am I being crazy for even thinking of not taking the job with sponsorship? I really need wise advice. Thank you in advance
January 2023 is less than 10 months away. You don't wanna be back to 9ja nor living illegally in the UK.
If you have a UK licence and access to a car then Start with the Sponsorship you have now (but make such to expunge any clause in your contract you think might prevent you moving under standard terms. Once you grab that offer there are many other options ahead. You can switch jobs, you can also switch roles within the present agency.
If you can task yourself to pick a level 3 or 4 certification within 3 months switching roles or better jobs with sponsorship will be more feasible, so you can then have quality time with your family again.
May God grant you wisdom.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BuildingProject: 8:08am On Mar 17, 2022
grin
Santa2:

There is supposedly a new visa class coming up this spring, The Scale up Visa, where you just need to earn up ;Dto £33,000 while working in an organisation that qualifies as a scale up company(a company with revenue or employee growth of at least 20% over last 3 years). It is an unsponsored route i.e you don't require sponsorship from the company just like the global talent visa and of course it counts towards ILR.

Thanks for the input, I was thinking perhaps have been making things up lately and I need to start taking my vitamins grin wink but I was sure I saw it somewhere.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mellady(f): 8:22am On Mar 17, 2022
Hi everyone, please I need naira, anyone here got better rates than lemonade??

(1) (2) (3) ... (321) (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.