Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1163120 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jummiedel(f): 11:31am On Oct 05, 2021
Mamatukwas:

My friend who just came in last month and has gotten a job got veterans in the UK to work on her CV. Apparently they removed everything that made her look over qualified for beginner roles (she’s also on a student visa); and simplified the cv

Then she applied to very many places. So far she has gotten 3 offers, started an agency role and has been offered permanent weekends in the same place so it’s definitely doable.

I think the key is your CV. Get it right and if you can’t do it get help. Then apply to a lot of places.

FYI she mentioned that there’s something called Royal Mail sorter that apparently they hire for everywhere and frequently. So check that out as well. All the best.
Please can you assist with the name of the company that assisted her in writing her cv? The ones I see online happens to be on the very expensive side.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 12:12pm On Oct 05, 2021
Goddys:
Please I need advice here. I'm in Edinburg Scotland and since I came in here last month, it seems every Nigerians I met are into care assistant jobs.

I have done two shifts on the job and didn't like it but I was told that it's the easiest means to make money and pay the rest of my tuition.

Please is there any shift that it's not too stressful and have long hours that one can be doing here? It's just tiring taking care of residents that are either dependent or demented.

Brings back good memory of the days i used to work as a kitchen porter, during interview when they ask if you have got any experience..you'd have to drop the gigantic lie that your parents have big restaurant back home and you're their main dishwasher.

I wish you all the best in your journey bro...life has a way of working itself out if you dont stop trying.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by InfinixMine: 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2021
What work do you now do?
wonlasewonimi:

Brings back good memory of the days i used to work as a kitchen porter, during interview when they ask if you have got any experience..you'd have drop that gigantic lies that your parents have big restaurant back home and you're their main dishwasher.

I wish you all the best in your journey bro...life has a way of working itself out if you dont stop trying.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 2:22pm On Oct 05, 2021
InfinixMine:
What work do you now do?

Infosec

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by GlamMomma: 3:00pm On Oct 05, 2021
I have
MISSYTOSIN:
Abeg, who get Naira o?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2021
InfinixMine:
Hello,

Which school are you? And please can we get in touch, I have interest in the course? Thank you in advance.

Robert Gordon University

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2021
jummiedel:
Please can you assist with the name of the company that assisted her in writing her cv? The ones I see online happens to be on the very expensive side.

She didn’t use a company. Her network helped.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wiselong: 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2021
I appreciate any guidance on this, thank you

wiselong:
Good Evening UK neighbours
Please what document(s) can a student and the dependant use to invite one of their parents to the UK from Nigeria?

Also, will using a one-bed apartment as the address of the couple cause any issue with the visa application?

I appreciate help from our seniors in the house
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:02am On Oct 06, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Brings back good memory of the days i used to work as a kitchen porter, during interview when they ask if you have got any experience..you'd have to drop that gigantic lies that your parents have big restaurant back home and you're their main dishwasher.

Did you also work as a chambermaid.......... grin

Not forgetting early morning cleaning....... cheesy

We must have been very demented and lacked vision..... wink

Those massive pots, Holiday Inn used to cook stew..... Massive metallic pots like geepee tank..... wink

We later graduated into night security work, bath at work, head to uni, back to work..... Rẹpẹtẹ, recycle and rinse....... cheesy

Without a past, you have got no future......... cheesy

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 12:25am On Oct 06, 2021
Please, I need answers to some questions. I've never been to Lagos. I've never seen an aeroplane either. So, my questions might sound weird or annoying.

1. Where can I get an international sim card in Nigeria. I'm going to need to call my host when I land at the airport.

2. Heard PTA is in dollars, where can I change it to pounds?

3. If I don't feel like eating the meal served during the flight, can I pack it into my hand luggage so I can get something to eat during layover?

4. Most importantly, is it safe to book flights on wakanow?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 4:46am On Oct 06, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Those massive pots, Holiday Inn used to cook stew..... Massive metallic pots like geepee tank..... wink

We later graduated into night security work, wash at work, head to uni, back to work..... Rẹpẹtẹ, recycle and rinse....... cheesy

Luckily, I didn't do care, chambermaid, peke,
early momo and ode grin

I was a skillful pot washer. However, I diversified into a hotel night cleaner and got assigned some function halls to vacuum.. Lord have mercy!!! This was a 7pm to 7am. The halls were so big by the time you do just one stretch, your back would be creaking... Mo ya japa!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:50am On Oct 06, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Luckily, I didn't do care, chambermaid, peke,
early momo and ode grin

I was a skillful pot washer. However, I diversified into a hotel night cleaner and got assigned some function halls to vacuum.. Lord have mercy!!! This was a 7pm to 7am. The halls were so big by the time you do just one stretch, your back would be creaking... Mo ya japa!

This uk get jobs sha....... How come we have many unemployed people + lazy people on state benefits (completely spoilt brats)...... smiley

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 7:04am On Oct 06, 2021
Lexusgs430:

This uk get jobs sha....... How come we have many unemployed people + lazy people on state benefits (completely spoilt brats)...... smiley

undecided unemployed people dy this country undecided They must be unemployed by choice, the lazy ones too ehn... I just weak for them grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by r4blessing: 7:54am On Oct 06, 2021
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

1.You can't get one in Nigeria but your MTN sim would roam so you can make calls with it while in the uk

2. Aboki in Nigeria if you want or at the international airport in London, Heathrow for example has a currency exchange station

3. I Yes You can take it out of the plane except for liquid

4. Most importantly, is it safe to book flights on wakanow?[/quote] yes very safe. I used it myself
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 9:19am On Oct 06, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:
Regarding job hunting and tailoring of CVs with regard to previous experience, in my opinion there are no hard and fast rules. As we all know, it is a general (but not hard and fast either) concept that here they tend to undervalue work experience gained in places like Nigeria, such that in many occupations (generally not those in demand) it is quite common for persons to be offered entry-level roles irrespective of how many years’ experience they may have acquired. But I don’t think that’s a reason for stripping one’s CV of all such experience in order to appear more suitable for entry-level roles. I didn't do that, anyway.

In my case, when I moved to the UK, I got a part-time job, and then applied to everything I felt was within my skillset and related thereto or which I could be accepted for, in any field, ranging all the way from entry level to the management roles at the level I felt I could handle given the similar level in my career back home (note: DO NOT apply for different jobs with the same company). I used the same resume listing all my work experience for everything, but tailored. Remember this is the UK, and they have this stuff here about CV gaps and all that. For instance, I worked in customer service a bank in Nigeria in those days when banks were everywhere before Soludo did his thing in 2004, worked in a call centre when I was a student in the UK, etc. So I also looked for customer service jobs here in the UK. Not listing my work experience after leaving the call centre in 2006 would have left the hugest of gaps, of course.

I got an entry-level role first, took it, kept looking, and got another at a higher level and better pay, took that one. I saw another part-time job I felt would suit me (work from home complaints handler for a multinational company, writing long letters in response to the numerous complaints oyibo people write, which is both related and unrelated to what I’ve done all these years in HR, depending on your standpoint), applied using the same resume listing all my work experience, and I got that one. I now work two jobs, both from home, one in my field, the other related/unrelated as the case may be.

What I can state is that many recruiters use AI to handle the numerous CVs and applications they receive. So the general advice is to tailor your applications/CVs using keywords in the job descriptions containing in the adverts to which you apply. Don’t use the exact same cover letter and resume for all applications. Take the extra time out to amend them on a case-by-case basis before uploading them on the employers’ websites. For employers who use this, the program selects based on such keywords. A lot of applications never get to be seen by a human being, which is quite a shame because some resumes get discarded which would have been shortlisted had one been using the old method.

Ultimately, do as the spirit moves you. If you have previous Nigerian experience and you want to strip it out in a manner not detrimental to your overall career ("mind the gap"wink, fine, if you want to leave it in, fine. Just do your best to tweak each resume/application, send them in, follow up with a huge dose of prayer, strengthen your mind when any rejections come in and don't get discouraged (any time you get discouraged, read the Nigerian news or check your latest energy bill to "ginger" yourself), rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat and you should be fine.

This was insightful. Thank you

Time to get to work

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Glowing1: 12:33pm On Oct 06, 2021
Lexusgs430:

We later graduated into night security work, wash at work, head to uni, back to work..... Rẹpẹtẹ, recycle and rinse....... cheesy

Hello, please can a lady work as security officer at night? Or is it just mens job?
Also I will appreciate if u can list some jobs that a woman can do too that pays well per hr
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by solalal36(m): 1:48pm On Oct 06, 2021
r4blessing:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

1.You can't get one in Nigeria but your MTN sim would roam so you can make calls with it while in the uk

2. Aboki in Nigeria if you want or at the international airport in London, Heathrow for example has a currency exchange station

3. I Yes You can take it out of the plane except for liquid

4. Most importantly, is it safe to book flights on wakanow? yes very safe. I used it myself
Thank you very much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:24pm On Oct 06, 2021
Glowing1:

Hello, please can a lady work as security officer at night? Or is it just mens job?
Also I will appreciate if u can list some jobs that a woman can do too that pays well per hr

- A woman can obviously work as a security officer (day & night)....

- Any job a man can do, a woman can do better....... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 4:48pm On Oct 06, 2021
Lexusgs430:

- A woman can obviously work as a security officer (day & night)....

- Any job a man can do, a woman can do better....... grin

Not for slim/short woman o. Na for tall, big and bulky grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:50pm On Oct 06, 2021
AirBay:

Make she explain the category, wey adequately size her............ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 6:12pm On Oct 06, 2021
Greetings Elders.

Is there anyone here living or working in Dorset?

I just got a employment offer but my estimation of the cost of living and accommodation seem quite high.

Would like to have first hand experiences, compared to the generic reviews online.

If you have or currently live/work in Dorset, kindly share your experience on working as a Nurse about to start a family.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Glowing1: 7:58pm On Oct 06, 2021
AirBay:

As I kuku no fat n tall wetin person fit do for uk like this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:14pm On Oct 06, 2021
Glowing1:

So you're slim & short........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 8:23pm On Oct 06, 2021
Lexusgs430:

My Ghanaian LM is always teasing me like " omo you didn't even come here clean Mcdonald or airport etc". I sincerely respect you guys that came earlier, survived and overcame so many challenges nd still share information nd tips to help we newcomers.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 8:32pm On Oct 06, 2021
Glowing1:

Hospitality and event jobs, Bars and Restaurants

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2021
AirBay:

undecided unemployed people dy this country undecided They must be unemployed by choice, the lazy ones too ehn... I just weak for them grin

I try to really be understanding nd careful with comments around all this benefits cuts etc but then you see the tax you pay and hear things like NI increment nd am like why can't they work. Only UK shortage in nurses, doctors, truck drivers, picker, packers and yet they say we stole their jobs.

Immigrants do multiple jobs to earn more income but na so so benefit up and down. You get colleagues using all their sick leave oo, annual oo, emergency leave oo etc if you try it like this and unlucky to be in a bad team na warning meeting or notice immediately.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fabulous2019: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2021
Good pm house
Just got to swansea, wales on Sunday, still on quarantine, please am in an hotel apartment around Neath Road, copper house, actually when I went to drop my day 2 at wellness near kingsway, it was very difficult for me to locate, their town is really different from Nigeria, nobody to explain better for you,
I don't understand how they enter their buses or train, infact I lost my way several times,
I would need advice from experience nigeria around there, how and what area can I rent house that will be easy for my movement, how do I pay for their train and buses, open account, get jobs, I saw amazon jobs which am very much interested, where can I get houses around amazon
Abeg help a brother ohh

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fabulous2019: 9:05pm On Oct 06, 2021
MISSYTOSIN:
Abeg, who get Naira o?
Hello, I get oh, you wanna exchange
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:35pm On Oct 06, 2021
fatima04:

My Ghanaian LM is always teasing me like " omo you didn't even come here clean Mcdonald or airport etc". I sincerely respect you guys that came earlier, survived and overcame so many challenges nd still share information nd tips to help we newcomers.

London underground cleaning nkó........ grin

Nostalgia Nostalgia....... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sensei2021: 11:23pm On Oct 06, 2021
Please have anyone tried renewing their passport in the past week using fast track.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 3:18am On Oct 07, 2021
canadaishome:

Yes we did

Through Facebook then via the leasing agency

Which city are you heading to?

Please what agency did you use to secure your accommodation on Facebook. Also what were the conditions that they gave since you were still in Nigeria then. I am heading to Hull. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.