Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (457) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1167009 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) (460) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:50am On May 31, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Not everyone has the means and opportunity to purchase property, no matter how attractive transmogrifying into a homeowner may be. wink

Indeed...... We all started from renting one room only @ £25 per week ........

But had wider plans/goals............ grin

The message was intended to ginger our people, to start planning and start saving towards that plan ............ cheesy

Don't eat with all your fingers or send all your money to Nigeria, to rescue people that would use that money to eat peppersoup and carry okpomiliki's ....... wink

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:55am On May 31, 2022
[quote author=Bigfolk post=113323294][/quote]

Tenancy dispute ADR process is free, no worries on that score. Cleaning is one of the most disputed issues post-tenancy, and I advised my sister and a friend who have just moved to simply pay for a cleaning company to do it (approx. 200 in each case for both of them) and avoid that potentially long and time-consuming argument, which worked for them. For me, a tenancy security deposit is also "dead money", as our friend Lexus charmingly puts it, and I write it off the moment I pay it (I have children though), and assume that all or some of it will dematerialise. Regarding cleaning, far better to leave or pay something for that if there is no other point of dispute.

As someone else has pointed out, if you have a smart meter installed, then shift the onus to EDF to justify why they charged you so much for just 11 days. But note that a direct debit simply provides a fixed amount from yourself every month, you might actually have consumed more (usually during the winter) or less (usually during the warmer months) energy than the figure taken every month. So you should check your EDF account for records of your consumption set off against your monthly direct debit for the time prior to when the smart meter was fitted.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:06am On May 31, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Indeed...... We all started from renting one room only @ £25 per week ........

But had wider plans/goals............ grin

The message was intended to ginger our people, to start planning and start saving towards that plan ............ cheesy

Don't eat with all your fingers or send all your money to Nigeria, to rescue people that would use that money to eat peppersoup and carry okpomiliki's ....... wink

Very good advice, all of it.
Not all easy to follow for the current set of incomers.
Many of them transported themselves to the UK as a family already, the vast majority as students who paid out hefty sums of life savings as fees to study often pointless courses, with 2 or more children to cater for, themselves already ageing and having to hustle round the clock in cost-of-living crisis UK to keep their heads above water and seek to establish themselves, pay their considerable tithes to the Home Office, etc., etc.

Far cry from the time when £25 per week was a doable thing for a young man/couple starting off and able to plan step by step. wink

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:47am On May 31, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Very good advice, all of it.
Not all easy to follow for the current set of incomers.
Many of them transported themselves to the UK as a family already, the vast majority as students who paid out hefty sums of life savings as fees to study often pointless courses, with 2 or more children to cater for, themselves already ageing and having to hustle round the clock in cost-of-living crisis UK to keep their heads above water and seek to establish themselves, pay their tithes to the Home Office, etc., etc.

Far cry from the time when £25 per week was a doable thing for a young man/couple starting off and able to plan step by step. wink

Different times, same challenges.......... Some of us arrived Heathrow airport, with only £5 in our back pockets....... With determination to survive & strive....... cheesy

We're still standing.......... grin

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:08am On May 31, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Different times, same challenges.......... Some of us arrived Heathrow airport, with only £5 in our back pockets....... With determination to survive & strive....... cheesy

We're still standing.......... grin

Obviously you didn't live in Lagos, given the confidence you had in carrying around money in your back pocket. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WeAreDLucky1s: 7:43am On May 31, 2022
Please what is required (as per COVID-19) for travelling out of Nigeria and Entering UK, currently?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Joshtoch: 8:27am On May 31, 2022
Good morning everyone. I have been a silent reader. Please I'm a bit confused. My husband came in to uk as a sponsored worker. His boss has his clients far away from the office and wants all his staff to have a car. If you can't afford he gives you a loan which will be deducted only for a few months. Now, people are rushing to buy a car they don't like because you must not exceed a particular amount the boss gave on loan. Also, if you don't have a car you will not be giving a shift. I am helpless because I don't know where we can decide to get an accommodation since he hasn't been given any job until he buys a car. Also I can't work because his work plan is not settled yet. Waking up and not knowing what to do every morning. Please house what can we do on this case?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Owoado(m): 8:27am On May 31, 2022
WeAreDLucky1s:
Please what is required (as per COVID-19) for travelling out of Nigeria and Entering UK, currently?
Nothing Boss

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 8:52am On May 31, 2022
Joshtoch:
Good morning everyone. I have been a silent reader. Please I'm a bit confused. My husband came in to uk as a sponsored worker. His boss has his clients far away from the office and wants all his staff to have a car. If you can't afford he gives you a loan which will be deducted only for a few months. Now, people are rushing to buy a car they don't like because you must not exceed a particular amount the boss gave on loan. Also, if you don't have a car you will not be giving a shift. I am helpless because I don't know where we can decide to get an accommodation since he hasn't been given any job until he buys a car. Also I can't work because his work plan is not settled yet. Waking up and not knowing what to do every morning. Please house what can we do on this case?
i am just few months old here so not qualified ....... until the elders come, I think that's the wahala with sponsored care work. Well, just try and get a car, whether through loan or not. Whether you like the car or not. What matters most at this time is stability. You can always adjust to your taste later.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:58am On May 31, 2022
Joshtoch:
Good morning everyone. I have been a silent reader. Please I'm a bit confused. My husband came in to uk as a sponsored worker. His boss has his clients far away from the office and wants all his staff to have a car. If you can't afford he gives you a loan which will be deducted only for a few months. Now, people are rushing to buy a car they don't like because you must not exceed a particular amount the boss gave on loan. Also, if you don't have a car you will not be giving a shift. I am helpless because I don't know where we can decide to get an accommodation since he hasn't been given any job until he buys a car. Also I can't work because his work plan is not settled yet. Waking up and not knowing what to do every morning. Please house what can we do in this case?

You can look for a zero hours flexitime job. Something like the Royal Mail/NHS Professionals bank kind of thing where you are not bound to work at specific times and book shifts you want which fit your availability (maybe night/twilight shifts in your case, if you have children).

Second, if your husband is going to be doing domiciliary care, obviously housing location doesn't really matter because the clients could be anywhere. Roll the dice and look for a house anywhere, preferably as central (or not too out of the way) in your city as you can get in this harsh rental market (for your own future commuting). For example, think somewhere central like Maryland, Gbagada or Surulere in Lagos.

Regarding a car, it's entirely up to you what you buy. Fireworks were thrown about quite a few pages back regarding the desirability or not of buying a cheap old banger as a new arrival - you decide what you want to buy, you can either buy something within the loan amount or nothing stops you from adding money on top of the loan amount to buy a preferably better car than what the loan amount could fetch. It's your call.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 10:12am On May 31, 2022
Good morning oh. So Virgin our Internet provider recently has been taking the piss and we want to port.

What are you guys using that is affordable and efficient? Internet only, no add ons?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:24am On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Good morning oh. So Virgin our Internet provider recently has been taking the piss and we want to port.

What are you guys using that is affordable and efficient? Internet only, no add ons?

How much are you paying with virgin?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 10:30am On May 31, 2022
justwise:

How much are you paying with virgin?

Close to £50 monthly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:41am On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Close to £50 monthly.

Landline and TV package included?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 10:44am On May 31, 2022
Why don't you call, ask for options and renew your contract .. . When I called, apparently it costs more for internet only. If you get all the package, it will be way less than £50 depending on the speed

Mamatukwas:

Close to £50 monthly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:51am On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

What you can get depends on the area.
Virgin charges a premium because of their fibre smiley.
If any other Openreach-associated providers in your area offer full fibre, then check what packages they have to offer, depending on what you need.
I use BT because its service here is sufficient for the occasional Teams meetings and Netflix/Amazon with no buffering. We've moved to office twice a week, so I can live with that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:19am On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Is your contract with virgin elapsed........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 11:20am On May 31, 2022
I did this immediately I opened the account but it I didn't get shingbain. I messaged the CS last week, they only sent an automated message yesterday.

It's sorted now, though. Thanks

gistbite:
[/quote]

[quote author=Dimejidude post=113326994]
E don work now? Just got one £20 bonus, I don’t know if it’s from you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 11:23am On May 31, 2022
Yeah, na me.

I needed to manually input your referral code to claim the bonus.

Dimejidude:

E don work now? Just got one £20 bonus, I don’t know if it’s from you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:28am On May 31, 2022
justwise:

Landline and TV package included?

Landline included (and we don’t have a landline) smh.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:29am On May 31, 2022
Bourne007:
Why don't you call, ask for options and renew your contract .. . When I called, apparently it costs more for internet only. If you get all the package, it will be way less than £50 depending on the speed

Last time we spoke to them, they were trying to increase our fee for what they say is higher speeds. It’s meant to be unlimited fiber so I don’t understand why they are capping.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:30am On May 31, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:
What you can get depends on the area.
Virgin charges a premium because of their fibre smiley.
If any other Openreach-associated providers in your area offer full fibre, then check what packages they have to offer, depending on what you need.
I use BT because its service here is sufficient for the occasional Teams meetings and Netflix/Amazon with no buffering. We've moved to office twice a week, so I can live with that.

I’ll check. I feel we pay too much tbh and the quality of the service is not as good as it used to be. We almost feel they are doing it on purpose to force us to upgrade.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:31am On May 31, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Is your contract with virgin elapsed........

I’m not sure tbh. I’ll ask Oga.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:40am On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I’m not sure tbh. I’ll ask Oga.

If you break an active contract, you are legally obliged to pay up the remaining unused length of the contract. ...... .. cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:43am On May 31, 2022
Lexusgs430:

If you break an active contract, you are legally obliged to pay up the remaining unused length of the contract. ...... .. cheesy

I’ll find out. Something sha has to give.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:31pm On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Landline included (and we don’t have a landline) smh.

You can call them and request to downgrade to broadband only, even with broadband and landline only you are still paying too much.

i used to be with them and was paying £27 a month..broadband and landline, after a year i renegotiated it down to £25.

Currently with talk talk, started with £28 a month..broadband and landline, a year into the 18months contract i switched to another supplier within 3days talk talk called me and offered me a better contract with the same speed..which was all i wanted, wasn't interested in leaving them, just wanted to pay less and it worked.

You can do the same.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 12:38pm On May 31, 2022
Biko, how do I deal with my previous employer refusing to give reference for a new job I got?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:05pm On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

You might not go with this option but let me still put it.
I and my household use 3 sim only contract. We put the sim in a phone and every other devices use it's hotsopt. Smart tv, Netflix, laptops, phones etc all connected and works absolutely well.
Unlimited data, no cap.
£16/month
Confirm that your area has 5G with 3 network and the phone is 5G enabled as well else don't try it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:08pm On May 31, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I’ll check. I feel we pay too much tbh and the quality of the service is not as good as it used to be. We almost feel they are doing it on purpose to force us to upgrade.

Yes they do throttle the speed at times. You are paying too much for the services. I am currently with BT and i have been paying £33 for 150Mb download and 34Mb upload. I still feel its too much but they have beenvery reliable. I wouldn't even go with any other provider as they all piggyback on BT infra except Virgin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:46pm On May 31, 2022
justwise:

You can call them and request to downgrade to broadband only, even with broadband and landline only you are still paying too much.

i used to be with them and was paying £27 a month..broadband and landline, after a year i renegotiated it down to £25.

Currently with talk talk, started with £28 a month..broadband and landline, a year into the 18months contract i switched to another supplier within 3days talk talk called me and offered me a better contract with the same speed..which was all i wanted, wasn't interested in leaving them, just wanted to pay less and it worked.

You can do the same.
Thank you. I’ll study my options with them and try this. Otherwise, it’s adios!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:52pm On May 31, 2022
Viruses:

You might not go with this option but let me still put it.
I and my household use 3 sim only contract. We put the sim in a phone and every other devices use it's hotsopt. Smart tv, Netflix, laptops, phones etc all connected and works absolutely well.
Unlimited data, no cap.
£16/month
Confirm that your area has 5G with 3 network and the phone is 5G enabled as well else don't try it.

Wawu. Very ingenious. Something to KIV. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:53pm On May 31, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Yes they do throttle the speed at times. You are paying too much for the services. I am currently with BT and i have been paying £33 for 150Mb download and 34Mb upload. I still feel its too much but they have beenvery reliable. I wouldn't even go with any other provider as they all piggyback on BT infra except Virgin

Yes. It’s the fact that we know we pay a lot and still can’t boast of a seamless service that is annoying. Thanks, I’ll take all the advice shared and find a way forward.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) (460) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.