Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,647 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (459) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1162833 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (456) (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesudaughter(f): 6:12am On Jun 01, 2022
Hello

Please what’s the best speed post for sending jewellery from Nigeria to UK?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:16am On Jun 01, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

1. No to the first half of the question, and yes to the second half. She's on a student visa, so she is not being sponsored.

Sponsorship is a specific process whereby the employer tells the Home Office you are working for them and you are given a COS number (same concept as a CAS number for students) to apply for a Skilled Worker (former Tier 2) visa. If you get a skilled worker visa, you have to spend 5 years on that visa (you can change employers) to qualify for ILR.

2. If you are on a student visa, all time spent legally in the UK counts towards the 10 year ILR route, including student visas and the post-study visa.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:16am On Jun 01, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I used to be up to date, with immigration rules...... But my small brain is getting to capacity............ cheesy

Nah, it's just filled with money matters

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 6:36am On Jun 01, 2022
Just to emphasise the excellent response from TheGuyFromHR
ILR: skilled worker (Tier 2) --> 5 yrs
ILR: student (Tier 4)/PSW --> 10 yrs
ILR: global talent (researcher/digital technology) --> 3yrs or 5yrs

To the babe, since she's already doing IT Audit with NHS, she stands a good chance of getting a sponsorship from an employer or even NHS.
If she's undergrad, better to finish first.
If she's postgrad, finish the course work at least and attempt (credible) publication.
While at it, let her consider ISACA's CISA certification to supplement her UK work experience.
With a postgrad, CISA and 3yrs UK work experience in IT audit (especially if she got involved in innovative areas beyond the normal ITGC), she might stand a chance of Global Talent (digital technology) route [emerging leader / ‘exceptional promise’]

TheGuyFromHR:

1. No to the first half of the question, and yes to the second half. She's on a student visa, so she is not being sponsored.
Sponsorship is a specific process whereby the employer tells the Home Office you are working for them and you are given a COS number (same concept as a CAS number for students) to apply for a Skilled Worker (former Tier 2) visa. If you get a skilled worker visa, you have to spend 5 years on that visa (you can change employers) to qualify for ILR.
2. If you are on a student visa, all time spent legally in the UK counts towards the 10 year ILR route, including student visas and the post-study visa.
hustla:

The babe works in IT Audit with NHS and she's on a student visa (20 hrs)
Does it qualify as sponsorship and towards ILR?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:51am On Jun 01, 2022
semmyk:
Just to emphasise the excellent response from TheGuyFromHR
ILR: skilled worker (Tier 2) --> 5 yrs
ILR: student (Tier 4)/PSW --> 10 yrs
ILR: global talent (researcher/digital technology) --> 3yrs or 5yrs

To the babe, since she's already doing IT Audit with NHS, she stands a good chance of getting a sponsorship from an employer or even NHS.
If she's undergrad, better to finish first.
If she's postgrad, finish the course work at least and attempt (credible) publication.
While at it, let her consider ISACA's CISA certification to supplement her UK work experience.
With a postgrad, CISA and 3yrs UK work experience in IT audit (especially if she got involved in innovative areas beyond the normal ITGC), she might stand a chance of Global Talent (digital technology) route [emerging leader / ‘exceptional promise’]

Thanks. She has the CISA cert also

For the global talent, I think a body has to certify her or something
Requirements were a bit lengthy last time I checked

I'll try to tell her all you wrote, hopefully she sees reason
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deybholar(f): 9:09am On Jun 01, 2022
Good morning everyone. I have some pressing questions. I am on a student visa and I want to bring in my son as a child dependant. My question is, who writes the letter of sole custody? Me or the Dad?
Also, can someone on a student visa or PSW visa open an African store? and are there any strict requirements pertaining to opening a store?
Anyone that has an answer should please respond as I am in pressing need of the answers. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 9:17am On Jun 01, 2022
No one writes a letter of sole custody. You (the applicant who is the holder of sole custody) write a letter of consent stating the child's travel arrangements/anticipated and planned living arrangement in the UK (include your correspondence with nurseries to show planned arrangement if the child is under 5 years old) and back it up with the sole custody document from the court along with other evidence that the child has been living with you and that you're solely responsible for the child eg. Letter from the school, Letter from the doctor etc.

If the dad has sole custody, then it will be difficult to effectively convince UKVI that the child should be allowed to travel with you without the father.

No. As a student, you can't be self-employed but YES, you can be self-employed on PSW.
To open an African store, please make sure that you do your due diligence and licencing to avoid getting in trouble with the law and your finances.

Some basic info on opening an African store:
https://fecofoods.com.ng/start-african-store-business/
https://www.startupbizhub.com/how-to-start-an-african-store.htm
deybholar:
Good morning everyone. I have some pressing questions. I am on a student visa and I want to bring in my son as a child dependant. My question is, who writes the letter of sole custody? Me or the Dad?
Also, can someone on a student visa or PSW visa open an African store? and are there any strict requirements pertaining to opening a store?
Anyone that has an answer should please respond as I am in pressing need of the answers. Thank you.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 10:31am On Jun 01, 2022
True. We got the money back eventually…

Griffon:

Well, you were lucky not have met the worse darl.

By providing your mom’s passport for verification purposes, those guys could have cashed easily with it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:38am On Jun 01, 2022
For the newbie.... how can you apply for right to rent before you come to uk and pick up the BRP card ..

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:40am On Jun 01, 2022
deybholar:

You need the proper court sole custody papers .....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:49am On Jun 01, 2022
Joshtoch:
Good morning everyone. I have been a silent reader. Please I'm a bit confused. My husband came in to uk as a sponsored worker. His boss has his clients far away from the office and wants all his staff to have a car. If you can't afford he gives you a loan which will be deducted only for a few months. Now, people are rushing to buy a car they don't like because you must not exceed a particular amount the boss gave on loan. Also, if you don't have a car you will not be giving a shift. I am helpless because I don't know where we can decide to get an accommodation since he hasn't been given any job until he buys a car. Also I can't work because his work plan is not settled yet. Waking up and not knowing what to do every morning. Please house what can we do on this case?

I don't like Dom care at all, the overall experience can be so stressful for such little wages. Its almost like modern day slavery. All these care owners know and are pushing immigrats there who don't really know what they are been tied to for 5 years

Let me digress back. The first is to find a car and hopefully things will fall into place

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 1:03pm On Jun 01, 2022
Noted
Thanks so much.

Estroller:
Yes you can and you should be fine if you follow the plenty advice on CC usage that abound on this thread. Basically pay up your balance in full every month or in the least make the minimum payment. The rule of thumb is don't spend money you don't already have on your credit card and you will be ok.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2022
Please i am trying to get something straight… i just received my nigeria NIN. I have filled the online application for passport. Do i proceed with payments? Or do i have to call the immigration department first to book an appointment? If no, at wat point do i book an appointment please. Are the appointments easy to get

I hv a trip in july pls, would appreciate any help
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by santos247(m): 2:14pm On Jun 01, 2022
[1quote author=Estroller post=112771266]Make I sell my market too grin

Who is up for free £25? To get it, open a Revolut account using my referral link below and complete the process. To complete the process; sign up with my link, do your KYC, fund your new account and make minimum of 3 transactions of at least £5 each. Once this is done Revolut will pay me a £50 bonus which I will then half with you for using my referral link.

Join me and over 22 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/oluwadsala!MAY1-22-AR

PS: Quote me once you are done and I'll send you your £25. [/quote]

I am already queuing behind you bro.
Just opened the acct using your refferal. Soon the transactions would flow in.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by santos247(m): 3:18pm On Jun 01, 2022
THis disposable card, can it be used to buy in store or only online?

jadepinkett:
With Revolut free account, you can have a virtual card that would serve the same purpose as your ATM. You also have the option to generate a disposable virtual card. Revolut made me not to know this country's currency cos I rarely carry cash
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 3:21pm On Jun 01, 2022
Thanks, Chief.

[quote author=TheGuyFromHR post=113349576][/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:42pm On Jun 01, 2022
Irenenwaka:
Please i am trying to get something straight… i just received my nigeria NIN. I have filled the online application for passport. Do i proceed with payments? Or do i have to call the immigration department first to book an appointment? If no, at wat point do i book an appointment please. Are the appointments easy to get. I hv a trip in july pls, would appreciate any help
fill the form, make payment and then with your application id and reference no book appointment on https://appointments.immigration.gov.ng/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 4:08pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lexusgs430:

NHS trusts have bank staffs, how do you apply for staff bank roles, if not via the hospital........ grin

All through my studies, I worked as a bank staff, cos it afforded me the flexibility to pick shift when I did not have deadlines to meet.
Only one was with the NHS. The other two roles were in a school and a shelter home, so not only NHS trust offer bank staff position
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2022
santos247:

I use it mainly in store. I guess it can work online as well, don't quote me on that one sha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:42pm On Jun 01, 2022
jadepinkett:

All through my studies, I worked as a bank staff, cos it afforded me the flexibility to pick shift when I did not have deadlines to meet.
Only one was with the NHS. The other two roles were in a school and a shelter home, so not only NHS trust offer bank staff position

That was not my point..... He said NHS does not offer bank roles........

Follow the thread of conversation.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 4:46pm On Jun 01, 2022
No worries, I'll send you your half once the bonus is paid.
santos247:
[1quote author=Estroller post=112771266]Make I sell my market too grin

Who is up for free £25? To get it, open a Revolut account using my referral link below and complete the process. To complete the process; sign up with my link, do your KYC, fund your new account and make minimum of 3 transactions of at least £5 each. Once this is done Revolut will pay me a £50 bonus which I will then half with you for using my referral link.

Join me and over 22 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/oluwadsala!MAY1-22-AR

PS: Quote me once you are done and I'll send you your £25.

I am already queuing behind you bro.
Just opened the acct using your refferal. Soon the transactions would flow in.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2022
Forr in store purchases, you can use your physical card or link your card with Google or apple pay and tap and go.
santos247:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 01, 2022
giselle237:
fill the form, make payment and then with your application id and reference no book appointment on https://appointments.immigration.gov.ng/

Thank you so much Giselle ….i just went to the website, you wouldn’t believe there are no appointments till the 27th of July. I am travelling 2nd week in july, so i guess i will have to do visas cry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nice2men(m): 4:59pm On Jun 01, 2022
Does my 16years old daughter require covid vaccination to fly to the UK on Saturday??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deybholar(f): 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2022
Thank you
mimilyrics:
No one writes a letter of sole custody. You (the applicant who is the holder of sole custody) write a letter of consent stating the child's travel arrangements/anticipated and planned living arrangement in the UK (include your correspondence with nurseries to show planned arrangement if the child is under 5 years old) and back it up with the sole custody document from the court along with other evidence that the child has been living with you and that you're solely responsible for the child eg. Letter from the school, Letter from the doctor etc.

If the dad has sole custody, then it will be difficult to effectively convince UKVI that the child should be allowed to travel with you without the father.

No. As a student, you can't be self-employed but YES, you can be self-employed on PSW.
To open an African store, please make sure that you do your due diligence and licencing to avoid getting in trouble with the law and your finances.

Some basic info on opening an African store:
https://fecofoods.com.ng/start-african-store-business/
https://www.startupbizhub.com/how-to-start-an-african-store.htm

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deybholar(f): 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2022
Thanks for your response
LagosismyHome:

You need the proper court sole custody papers .....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Khalifa99(m): 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2022
Hello everybody
I have naira and I need pounds
At affordable rate please o

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 7:05pm On Jun 01, 2022
Irenenwaka:
Thank you so much Giselle ….i just went to the website, you wouldn’t believe there are no appointments till the 27th of July. I am travelling 2nd week in july, so i guess i will have to do visas cry
but how come you didnt pay since.. sorry. . Book what you seeing. You can keep going back often to peep, you might be lucky to get an earlier date and then you quickly switch.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by okonja(m): 9:40pm On Jun 01, 2022
winzy:
How much?

£5,518
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:18am On Jun 02, 2022
giselle237:
but how come you didnt pay since.. sorry. . Book what you seeing. You can keep going back often to peep, you might be lucky to get an earlier date and then you quickly switch.

Yh i shud have done so much earlier.. but Thanks alot Giselle, I appreciate yu smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (456) (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.