Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (514) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1162691 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 11:39am On Jul 12, 2022
chimexview:
Good morning everyone,
As a student in Uk how easy is it to get a schengen visa and the process to get it?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:48am On Jul 12, 2022
Chinlov:

Abeg mention am lol, thanks!

I don see am for google i will try it

When you do, kindly drop a feedback.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 12:12pm On Jul 12, 2022
Hello

Can anyone tell me what the black market naira exchange rate is today please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 1:15pm On Jul 12, 2022
Hi all,
Please I have a question
A friend of mine whose course is finishing in October wants to bring dependant as it is now less than 6months to his visa expiry will the dependant pay ihs fee or will it be waived.thks for your contribution
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tawak: 1:17pm On Jul 12, 2022
Hi, is it possible to book on hold and pay online later?

SapphireFort:

Yes, you can. Just book on hold on the website and pay at their office. You'll be charged at the official rate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 12, 2022
Estroller:
Try Amex
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/oLUWAoIaVU?XL=MNMNS

Their approval rate is high at the moment so you stand a good chance even if you've not been in the UK for so long. If you use my referral link to register, we both get some bonus avios points.

NB: Please be very mindful of how you use your credit card. To be safe, make sure you set up a direct debit to pay off your balance in full every month.

Amex now issues Shenghen visa? grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 3:02pm On Jul 12, 2022
Good afternoon my people , Thank you for all you do in this forum.

Please I need your advice, counsel and suggestions on the current predicament of my wife in her study.

She has a Degree in Chemical engineering and came in to study analytical chemistry after looking at the course module but unfortunately what was on the course module was completely opposite of what was in the course content in reality and this posed a lot of challenges for her on the course. To cut the long story short, she has to repeat a module but the university is giving her an option to graduate with a post graduate diploma/ post graduate certificate instead of rewriting the course.

I have evaluated the whole situation and weigh the options and I think the best thing for her is to enroll for another master because the school is not ready to give her visa extension because our current visa expires January and the rewrite date for the course is also January and the results will not be ready in time for us to apply for the post graduate work Visa. This means the aim of coming in for the Msc initially is technically defeated.

My question is that will her visa be granted if she apply for another masters from inside the UK using the postgraduate certificate/diploma.

I look forward to your valuable contribution/ opinion/ suggestions on this matter.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 3:41pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

YOU no wan study? You can apply for a masters instead of her applying.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 3:43pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pogracious:
Hi all,
Please I have a question
A friend of mine whose course is finishing in October wants to bring dependant as it is now less than 6months to his visa expiry will the dependant pay ihs fee or will it be waived.thks for your contribution

No, they will not pay IHS but will have to pay if the dependant go for a treatment at a NHS hospital
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 4:03pm On Jul 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

If I mention Abido now, BNF would be thrown at me ...... grin
Hi lexus I sent you a message to put me through this IPTV stuff.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2022
AirBay:

YOU no wan study? You can apply for a masters instead of her applying.

Honestly I want to study but you will agree with me that it pays for man to do the hustle until everything is balance than woman doing the hustle. The hustle required for couples on the student route to balance well is not a child's play.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:13pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Please I need your advice, counsel and suggestions on the current predicament of my wife in her study.

She has a Degree in Chemical engineering and came in to study analytical chemistry after looking at the course module but unfortunately what was on the course module was completely opposite of what was in the course content in reality and this posed a lot of challenges for her on the course. To cut the long story short, she has to repeat a module but the university is giving her an option to graduate with a post graduate diploma/ post graduate certificate instead of rewriting the course.

I have evaluated the whole situation and weigh the options and I think the best thing for her is to enroll for another master because the school is not ready to give her visa extension because our current visa expires January and the rewrite date for the course is also January and the results will not be ready in time for us to apply for the post graduate work Visa. This means the aim of coming in for the Msc initially is technically defeated.

My question is that will her visa be granted if she apply for another masters from inside the UK using the postgraduate certificate/diploma.

I look forward to your valuable contribution/ opinion/ suggestions on this matter.
With the way these universities treat international students, I’ve come to realise that these UK universities only care about one thing and that’s Money. During the Masters sef, you practically teach yourself. If her brain is still capable, she should take up another masters if not, I would advise you do the Masters instead so she can look for a job in her field as your dependant and hopefully (not promised though) get Tier 2 sponsorship. Masters isn’t required here to get a great job anyway, experience and certifications are what matters the most. Really sorry this is happening to your family but you have to make a decision fast as the clock is ticking.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 4:18pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Honestly I want to study but you will agree with me that it pays for man to do the hustle until everything is balance than woman doing the hustle. The hustle required for couples on the student route to balance well is not a child's play.

100% understand but you need to make a decision ASAP.

The records show she came for a masters but was given a pgde due to her inability to pass a course. I do not know if this will be considered during visa application but I believe you have a higher chance of securing a visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2022
jesmond3945:
Hi lexus I sent you a message to put me through this IPTV stuff.

Was the message via telegram (not the app)........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 4:41pm On Jul 12, 2022
Try Amex

Their approval rate is high at the moment so you stand a good chance even if you've not been in the UK for so long. If you use my referral link to register, we both get some bonus avios points.

NB: Please be very mindful of how you use your credit card. To be safe, make sure you set up a direct debit to pay off your balance in full every month.

jum33:
Hello family,
Is a skilled worker that has spent up to 4 month eligible to own a credit card and if yes, what are the options of credit cards available
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 4:42pm On Jul 12, 2022
koonbey:

Amex now issues Shenghen visa? grin

grin na so we see am o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 4:57pm On Jul 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Was the message via telegram (not the app)........ cheesy
i sent through nairaland dm or do you have a telegram link I can join?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

With the way these universities treat international students, I’ve come to realise that these UK universities only care about one thing and that’s Money. During the Masters sef, you practically teach yourself. If her brain is still capable, she should take up another masters if not, I would advise you do the Masters instead so she can look for a job in her field as your dependant and hopefully (not promised though) get Tier 2 sponsorship. Masters isn’t required here to get a great job anyway, experience and certifications are what matters the most. Really sorry this is happening to your family but you have to make a decision fast as the clock is ticking.
even the experience and certification there is no guarantee of a job. Lol. Sometimes it might be whether recruiter likes you as a person even country of origin which are hidden cues. Sorry for jumping on your response.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2022
Good evening house, asking for someone, an employer asking for proof of address, what document do you think is needed, thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:
Good evening house, asking for someone, an employer asking for proof of address, what document do you think is needed, thanks.
bank statement and water bill.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 5:06pm On Jul 12, 2022
jesmond3945:
bank statement and water bill.

The person in question sent all these, and it was not accepted.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:

Bank statement and utility bill should be three months.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 5:22pm On Jul 12, 2022
nellaluv:

Bank statement and utility bill should be three months. You can also use your UK driving licence.

Well no UK driving license.
Bank statement and utility bill already sent but it was rejected.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:36pm On Jul 12, 2022
jesmond3945:
even the experience and certification there is no guarantee of a job. Lol. Sometimes it might be whether recruiter likes you as a person even country of origin which are hidden cues. Sorry for jumping on your response.
It’s honestly a sticky situation. That’s why I always advise people to take off Nigeria from their CV’s and get a voluntary role here for that "UK experience".

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 5:37pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

It depend on what you regard as hustle, you wife can get a full time job, it doesn't have to be menial jobs, better if she has previous experience from nigeria, and if she doesn't she can get entry level roles. Look at all options. WIsh you all the best in your decision making process.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:38pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:
The employers usually have a list of approved documents. That should inform the person’s decision on what documents to send out.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:

hmmm na dem know wetin dey sup.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:59pm On Jul 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

It’s honestly a sticky situation. That’s why I always advise people to take off Nigeria from their CV’s and get a voluntary role here for that "UK experience".

Not good advice.
Nigerian experience is not always a negative. I had extensive experience back home, and I'm in a generic occupation, and I obviously got my jobs on the strength of my experience.
It is experience, so there is nothing wrong with putting it on your CV.
Racism, hearts and minds, those you can't change. Your African name alone is a pointer, irrespective of whether or not you strip out what could be possibly relevant experience from your resume.

Bottom line - there is no certified way to bypass the subjectiveness of the recruitment process.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:

Well no UK driving license.
Bank statement and utility bill already sent but it was rejected.

Strange.
Your recruiter should have sent you a list of documents they can accept for that purpose.
Did you receive that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 6:07pm On Jul 12, 2022
Estroller:
Try Amex

Ok ,thanks .And what are the dos and don't rules of having this kind of credit card.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adazeal: 6:08pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

She has a Degree in Chemical engineering and came in to study analytical chemistry after looking at the course module but unfortunately what was on the course module was completely opposite of what was in the course content in reality and this posed a lot of challenges for her on the course.

You see for you to be in this UK and thrive, you have to grow thick skin. You don't have to cower. Your wife is eligible for the student visa extension to enable her write her exam and get her result. Don't assume things, let her write to her department and faculty that she'd be retaking the module and would be needing a visa extension. Hear what they'd say first and take it up from there. I mean you paid huge amount of money for tuition, don't allow them take you for a ride even though you failed a course, that's the purpose of learning anyways.

As an aside, you(not your wife) can start applying for a course as a plan B. Let this option not be your main focus though.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.