Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (712) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1168146 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (709) (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) (715) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 10, 2022
Amarathripple0:

It actually works and doesn’t get reversed. I did this once with my Amex CC when I had to pay a lump sum for a service and I wanted to hit that 10% spend on my CC for that month. However, I hear Amex will block your account if you overdo it because it doesn’t reflect as cash withdrawal, it instead reflects as a PayPal online purchase.
Hmm, OK.
I did send as friends and family not as payment for a service.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 10, 2022
hustla:

My guy took out £3K smiley

Not sure how he did it but he said something along the lines of what I wrote

Didnt wait to confirm, I dont like tampering with rubbish as we all have different aspirations and UK life waka wink
Nothing to be scared about tbh.
If you can manage the payments. You're good to go.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:51am On Nov 10, 2022
onecoder:

Nothing to be scared about tbh.
If you can manage the payments. You're good to go.

Well, anything can happen
I dont like to mess around smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:52am On Nov 10, 2022
Just a month now cheesy

Lexusgs430:

How long you had your AMEX .......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:52am On Nov 10, 2022
Lexusgs430:

A down payment for a car, phone etc etc ...... Yes ...... For a mortgage....... NO...... cheesy

Come and buy me 10 Pixel 7 Pros grin

Come to think of it, is there a way to buy phones in UK and sell in naija and still make profit?

iPhones in particular. Seems phones are more expensive in the UK except I have been looking at the wrong places
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:53am On Nov 10, 2022
bigtt76:
Just a month now cheesy

Asked them for a limit increase after 3 months, they declined to increase it LOL

Ill ask again in December / Jan

So their reply will probably be your Nairaland profile picture grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:56am On Nov 10, 2022
May be your usage wasn't that encouraging enough. Use up to 30% and see cheesy

hustla:

Asked them for a limit increase after 3 months, they declined to increase it LOL

Ill ask again in December / Jan

So their reply will probably be your Nairaland profile picture grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:58am On Nov 10, 2022
bigtt76:
May be your usage wasn't that encouraging enough. Use up to 30% and see cheesy

I was initially doing 25% when I asked

... but then I didnt want to run into issues so i reduced to 15 and now I am looking at 7 - 10%. As long as my score goes up, I really dont care for the limit increase

£1,000 is okay for a student who wants to learn the ropes

wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Beehorn(f): 11:10am On Nov 10, 2022
Good morning everyone,

I am currently in harborne Birmingham, accomodation has been my problem since when I came in. Any help pls?

Secondly, how do I convert my naira in my account to pounds to enable me buy foodstuffs?

Thirdly, when will my brp be out as I came in on the fifth of November?
Somebody help me. Pls ooo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 11:59am On Nov 10, 2022
Makes sense really. Financial discipline is key here.

hustla:

... but then I didnt want to run into issues so i reduced to 15 and now I am looking at 7 - 10%. As long as my score goes up, I really dont care for the limit increase

wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 12:00pm On Nov 10, 2022
Ha ... shocked

Beehorn:
Good morning everyone,

I am currently in harborne Birmingham, accomodation has been my problem since when I came in. Any help pls?

Secondly, how do I convert my naira in my account to pounds to enable me buy foodstuffs?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by courage54(m): 12:20pm On Nov 10, 2022
Beehorn:
Good morning everyone,

I’m In Birmingham too…. I don’t think it should be that difficult getting accommodation if you have the necessary references.

Download and register on Lemonade to convert your naira to pounds. And your BRP should have been ready at your pick up post office .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 3:00pm On Nov 10, 2022
dubaiprince:

It depends on your risk appetite. Cash ISAs are no different from normal savings accounts. Just that interest earned is tax free. However the interests rates are little but capital and interest are not at risk.

For stock and share ISA, Capital is at risk and you are likely to get lower than u invested but u stand a good chance of increased value of investment in the long run which can be very huge but u can even get lower than you invested over the long run (this past year was terrible for shares and funds).

Thank you for this enlightenment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 3:42pm On Nov 10, 2022
Viruses:

To preserve your money the way it is: cash

To grow your money with the possibility of losing it: stock and shares.

Stock and shares is not for the faint hearted, you won't understand this until it happens. I opened stock and shares and under 2 months, almost £500 was gone, I withdrew the remaining.

For stock and shares, it is advisable that you should leave the investment for a minimum of 5 years. The expectation is that even if it goes down, it should recover and make gains in that time.

Thank you Bro. I appreciate your detailed response. Cheers!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 6:38pm On Nov 10, 2022
Estroller:

Yes you can change jobs and your dependants can continue on their current visa and renew at expiration using your new COS.

Okay thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:44pm On Nov 10, 2022
One month... Pls what's the implications if I change my contact address on my AMEX CC, Bank account, Electoral Roll and Provisional Driver's license after a month of being enrolled?

Lexusgs430:

How long you had your AMEX .......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 6:46pm On Nov 10, 2022
bigtt76:
Joooooor what kind of visa sponsorship arrangement do you have with these people that they're holding your balls tight so? The threats are too many and looks more like abuse to me. You may have to report them to the authorities if you think your visa sponsorship is genuine and prepare to make the move away.

I didn't sign any contract with them. They gave me a 5 years COS, no relocation package or anything. I have been staying in an hotel with my family since I arrived and getting a place has been very difficult and the company said they can do nothing about it except giving me reference if a landlord accepts and no landlord is willing to accept us right now except we pay 6 months upfront or have stayed up to 6 months in the UK. It's like they want to get rid of me and are looking for any flimsy excuse to do so
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 6:48pm On Nov 10, 2022
LagosismyHome:

There is a lot of modern day slavery with this tier 2 , its very sad to see.... employers are just exploiting immigrants left and right in so many ways. I hope anyone in that shoe 5 years fly by so quickly

Imagine threatening to send me home because I fed a client's dog 3 timea instead of 2 while other senior colleagues feed same dog up to 4 times
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:51pm On Nov 10, 2022
What line of business are they into? By contract I mean the terms of your employment with them because there's no way they will give you a Cos for 5 years without any form of contract. Also didn't you negotiate your wages with them before leaving Nigeria?

progress160:

I didn't sign any contract with them. They gave me a 5 years COS, no relocation package or anything. I have been staying in an hotel with my family since I arrived and getting a place has been very difficult and the company said they can do nothing about it except giving me reference if a landlord accepts and no landlord is willing to accept us right now except we pay 6 months upfront or have stayed up to 6 months in the UK. It's like they want to get rid of me and are looking for any flimsy excuse to do so
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 6:51pm On Nov 10, 2022
hustla:

wink

Can one use Cc to pay house rent and payback almost immediately just to boost credit score and usage?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by progress160: 7:02pm On Nov 10, 2022
bigtt76:
What line of business are they into? By contract I mean the terms of your employment with them because there's no way they will give you a Cos for 5 years without any form of contract. Also didn't you negotiate your wages with them before leaving Nigeria?

It's an health care visa, I do domiciliary care.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 7:06pm On Nov 10, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Don't pay nothing ... how can an employer enforce you to pay when you left . I would like to see how this works in reality

I think people pay because they think they must pay but if you don't pay I think nothing happens

We are still discussing, they have clearly stated that she has no obligation financially with them if she chooses to leave them.

They conditions is that If she says she is not going on the transfer with them, they company will pay her 3 months salary in advance and terminate her visa immediately.

My new worries is getting a sponsorship job, COS and Visa in 60 days.
We are currently job searching and believing it will happen before the middle of December.

Thank you everyone here for encouraging us with information.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:10pm On Nov 10, 2022
progress160:

Imagine threatening to send me home because I fed a client's dog 3 timea instead of 2 while other senior colleagues feed same dog up to 4 times

Hang it there...surely this will pass and ILR will set every Tier 2 free.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:12pm On Nov 10, 2022
Pearlyfaze:

We are still discussing, they have clearly stated that she has no obligation financially with them if she chooses to leave them.

They conditions is that If she says she is not going on the transfer with them, they company will pay her 3 months salary in advance and terminate her visa immediately.

My new worries is getting a sponsorship job, COS and Visa in 60 days.
We are currently job searching and believing it will happen before the middle of December.

Thank you everyone here for encouraging us with information.

Ok...dont disclose your game plan.just keep searching, i pray something comes soon. My only fear is that there are so many doing what I call modern day slavery so if yo move it might be from frying pan to fire, I hope you get lucky and move to better things only
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:36pm On Nov 10, 2022
AgentXxx:

Can one use Cc to pay house rent and payback almost immediately just to boost credit score and usage?

I am not a CC guru o

Lexusgs430 kindly help if you can
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by senny(f): 7:38pm On Nov 10, 2022
Please advise on what I can do
Got to the UK a month ago by the assistance of a care company, which they paid for everything, with 3yrs visa and told me before coming that if I have to leave the company I will pay back £6,000. I have done the job as a domiciliary carer for a month and I say it is not easy, I am always tired & stressed from the walking in between clients' houses. Now I am thinking of getting another job, maybe in a care home. I am just confused and don't know what to do right now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2022
It’s looking like this Care Visa is a trap one way or the other… That is how one care home went to Zimbabwe bringing about 45 people through Care Visa to the UK, now those ones are complaining of harsh condition of work and no one to complain to or else they will be sent back home….

This looks to me like how I see people who bring Hausa people to Lagos for construction works, then you see these Abokis everywhere… Woo I don’t even know what to say anymore shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2022
LagosismyHome:

There is a lot of modern day slavery with this tier 2 , its very sad to see.... employers are just exploiting immigrants left and right in so many ways. I hope anyone in that shoe 5 years fly by so quickly

I think it's also important though to advise people to carefully read the terms of their employment contracts before signing. I imagine that payback, mobility and other such clauses would be outlined in the contract, in which case the employer has been transparent from the beginning
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Samopex05: 8:06pm On Nov 10, 2022
Reality dawning already meanwhile the journey ahead is still very far. In as much as your job is domiciliary care, pls let’s take driving as a priority. I have my UK license already but I still have some Nigerian colleagues that trek to clients houses in this stupid cold weather. The job is not easy at all. Some of us invested millions of naira in this journey, it saddens me to read that someone is threatened because he fed a dog 3 times instead of 2. As many of us are in this, I pray we overcome this. If this is the price to pay, then we will pay it. It’s only a phase and it will pass.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 8:07pm On Nov 10, 2022
Apologies -I posted and went to bed and forgot the link! Thank you @Hustla

https://jobs.lever.co/xero/98a5d975-b47d-4c3c-add6-cad1c39e68fd?lever-via=2_2Izee1tX

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 8:09pm On Nov 10, 2022
AgentXxx:

Not a good idea if you're withdrawing cash from your credit card to pay your rent, as any cash withdrawals are noted on your file (even if settled quickly) and will impact your credit score and history
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:10pm On Nov 10, 2022
bigtt76:
One month... Pls what's the implications if I change my contact address on my AMEX CC, Bank account, Electoral Roll and Provisional Driver's license after a month of being enrolled?

Credit scoring hates swaps and changes, it could seem like a pre-maradona move ......... cheesy

But if you have to, you have to ......... Take the initial hit, which would recover over time ...........

(1) (2) (3) ... (709) (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) (715) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.