Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (798) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1168326 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (795) (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:18am On Jan 06, 2023
eniola1010:

But not so long ago some people on this thread said it is a red flag to say your relative is coming for omugwo.

Which i find absurd. Cus if person wife born how person wan support him wife. Will both husband and wife now leave work when there are bills to pay? And only god knows how many months martenity leave uk dey give. Even if they give a long maternity leave who go come dey house with the wife.

So i dont think it should be an issue to tell vo that the grandma is coming for omugwo

I missed that discussion........

Maybe in the application, if you write omugwo (oyinbo no understand that one)........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 11:26am On Jan 06, 2023
There's a central database where all passports are scanned into (reason why machine-readable passports are being used worldwide) and with your previous passport numbers linked to newer ones, even if you show up with a brand new passport, your previous travel history can still be tracked.

CowbellY:

Not really. They see what's on the passport and your immigration records to that particular country only. Except you have a flag on your passport which can be request by any country.

Arriving in Dubai (for example) on a fresh passport, they have no means of verifying your UK immigration record as the UK doesn't share border information with them.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 11:38am On Jan 06, 2023
Osoderi:
morning house, I have been trying to build my credit but it is not strong. I have applied for American credit card and I am using it. I have register for vote, I have included all my direct debit payment in my credit karma but still my scores is 570.

I have applied for credit cards in two of my banks but was refused. saying I am not eligible due to my score is low. pls what other ways can I do to increase my score.

A friend adviced me to get Argos card to use it to buy things and pay back.

pls I need more advice, I really want to build my credit.

I have stayed one year in the UK.

is there any lenders that can borrow me money to repay back to enable me build my credit pls. kindly advice. Thank u

Try to space out ( 6 months or more apart) your credit applications. Too much credit applications within a short period will leave a -ve impact on your credit profile.

Try not to miss any payment, best way to do this is by setting up a direct debit to pay off your balance or the minimum payment at the least.

If you can, try not to change address so frequently.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 11:43am On Jan 06, 2023
bigtt76:
There's a central database where all passports are scanned into (reason why machine-readable passports are being used worldwide) and with your previous passport numbers linked to newer ones, even if you show up with a brand new passport, your previous travel history can still be tracked.

Yes but they only have your immigration records for the particular country.
There's no central global immigration database.

Five ways treaty however is an agreement between the US, UK, Aus, Canada and NZ to share border information.

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/five-country-joint-enrollment-and-information-sharing-project-fcc

That's the limit. The UK doesn't even share with the Schengen zone anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:45am On Jan 06, 2023
taif:

Thanks for this explanation, can they be easily access,I mean to get to where one will board it, hope it is not stressful like the train own and how do one book for it

It's easiest to access, the Coaches are right at the door of the Airport. You can book at the airport or on their website
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightofjoy(m): 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2023
Hello house, I got this mail this morning, pls I hope this is not public fund ooo as am a student.

"Hello xxxx
We've applied your monthly Energy Bills Support Scheme discount of £67 to your electricity meter. You won't need to repay this.
The Energy Bills Support Scheme
This is a HM Government-funded discount of £400 in total. It's being paid to all households in Great Britain with an electricity supply this winter, to help with energy payments.
We'll apply your discount as credit on your meter in the first week of each month, from October 2022 to March 2023. See the table below."

Pls hope the above is not public fund as I didn't apply for it.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 06, 2023
Osoderi:
morning house, I have been trying to build my credit but it is not strong. I have applied for American credit card and I am using it. I have register for vote, I have included all my direct debit payment in my credit karma but still my scores is 570.

I have applied for credit cards in two of my banks but was refused. saying I am not eligible due to my score is low. pls what other ways can I do to increase my score.

is there any lenders that can borrow me money to repay back to enable me build my credit pls. kindly advice. Thank u
It takes time instead of looking for who will lend you money.
You can rent an apartment without bills and pay energy and water bills yourself

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 12:20pm On Jan 06, 2023
onecoder:

It takes time instead of looking for who will lend you money.
You can rent an apartment without bills and pay energy and water bills yourself

I do that. all my bills I pay with direct debit

water bill
council bill
tv licence
EE contract
American Express repayment.
I pay my house rent every month but not on direct , as I receive my salary I transfer to my land Lord .

light bill is prepaid I just recharge with my account
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 12:23pm On Jan 06, 2023
Estroller:

Try to space out ( 6 months or more apart) your credit applications. Too much credit applications within a short period will leave a -ve impact on your credit profile.

Try not to miss any payment, best way to do this is by setting up a direct debit to pay off your balance or the minimum payment at the least.

If you can, try not to change address so frequently.

Ok. Thanks . I set up direct debit and I have paid all my bills without missing payment
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:09pm On Jan 06, 2023
Place the embolden on standing order and use the following to report your rent payment to report the rent payment to credit agencies.
1. Credit Ladder sign up using my referral https://www.creditladder.co.uk/join/4kN2nMj0DmjpABDL),
2. Loqbox (sign up using my link https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=SZJ9DXFXHX&referral_channel=link)

You can report previous payment as currently is if you make the transfer same time monthly. The apps would pick it up from your bank account.

Osoderi:

I do that. all my bills I pay with direct debit

water bill
council bill
tv licence
EE contract
American Express repayment.
I pay my house rent every month but not on direct , as I receive my salary I transfer to my land Lord .

light bill is prepaid I just recharge with my account

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 1:14pm On Jan 06, 2023
bigtt76:
Place the embolden on standing order and use Credit Ladder, Loqbox (sign up using my link https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=SZJ9DXFXHX&referral_channel=link) to report the rent payment to credit agencies. You can report previous payment as currently is if you make the transfer same time monthly. The apps would pick it up from your bank account.

ok. Thank u
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2023
Sign up with Credit Ladder using this https://www.creditladder.co.uk/join/4kN2nMj0DmjpABDL jooooor kiss

Osoderi:

ok. Thank u

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2023
@theguyfromhr

Been a while. Hope you and family are good.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by taif(f): 2:25pm On Jan 06, 2023
bigtt76:
Book here - https://book.nationalexpress.com/coach/#/choose-journey

Be ready to wheel your luggage to their boarding terminal. Its not straight from aircraft to the bus cheesy

Much love for you my br, thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NevaUgivup: 5:29pm On Jan 06, 2023
lightofjoy:
Hello house, I got this mail this morning, pls I hope this is not public fund ooo as am a student.

Thanks
It's not public funds. This was discussed here some weeks ago. You can also do further research online to get more information.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:37pm On Jan 06, 2023
Osoderi:

The more you apply and get bounced, the lower your score gets. Stop applying and just use and repay judiciously. Try and stay in same house for a while, don't close Bank Accounts. But most importantly: GIVE IT TIME... For many, with all the hard checks that came with your application, you may need to wait it out to improve
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 06, 2023
eniola1010:

So i dont think it should be an issue to tell vo that the grandma is coming for omugwo

Have you done it before? Or do you know someone personally who has?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mroriginal: 8:51pm On Jan 06, 2023
I have done it before and specifically wrote Omugwo, they all know about it so there is nothing new about it. The more you think about these things , the more you over complicate things. Just go ahead and apply for the visa.
koonbey:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Annie001: 8:52pm On Jan 06, 2023
Where are you people seeing job ooo
Abeg
I have been jobless since I got here in September.
Any suggestion will be appreciated

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 9:42pm On Jan 06, 2023
koonbey:

I invited my mum for omugwo when I had my daughter but that was many years ago so things may have changed now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Xanderlex: 9:44pm On Jan 06, 2023
Goodevening. Kindly help with suggestions for NIN enrollment centres within manchester that enrols infants below 3 years. The ones I have seen don't enrol infants below 3 years.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LaXxOnebody(m): 11:24pm On Jan 06, 2023
I guess I've been lucky with my credit score. Its 572 and I'm just under 2 months in the country.

I opened 3 accounts and had a significant inflow of about £5k so I don't know if that helped.

Solumtoya:

The more you apply and get bounced, the lower your score gets. Stop applying and just use and repay judiciously. Try and stay in same house for a while, don't close Bank Accounts. But most importantly: GIVE IT TIME... For many, with all the hard checks that came with your application, you may need to wait it out to improve
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:36pm On Jan 06, 2023
lavida001:
How can one ascertain that agency is actually remitting tax contribution To home office.

I checked now on HMRC and its showing You do not have gaps in your record.

No tax remittance to home office.

Do you mean your employer isn’t on your records with HMRC ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 12:36am On Jan 07, 2023
pheranmie:

Thanks for this .
Unfortunately my class of degree is third class (the unserious type back in uni) always hustling for money. I felt bad as I feel I wished I had done it better. Well live goes on .

Please don't ever feel bad in anyway, it's what you have done after or build on that third class that matters. I had a third class too but after developing myself over the years, I have ended up in one of the big 4 here in the uk. You're good where you are now, just keep developing yourself.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:50am On Jan 07, 2023
Zahra29:

What about the very many yahoo boys, ritual killers, armed robbers, runs girls, dirty politicians and crooked professionals etc who were born and bred in Naij?

Parenting styles may vary for example hitting a child in the UK is generally seen as abuse because there are often better ways to teach and discipline a child. The majority of black boys and children in general who were raised here are doing well and are responsible. Conversely there are nigerian students who come here and get into trouble. Several during my uni days- one boy even got into trouble with the police over allegations from an oyinbo girl he was messing with.
Not every black boy here is in a gang, the same way not every young Nigerian is into yahoo or a Nigerian "prince". A lot of it is stereotypes due to media presentation.

I wasn’t comparing 9ja with UK.
And I wasn’t even talking about beating children to straighten them out. I’m also sure you are aware that spending quality time with kids isn’t an abusive act?
What I wrote up there is on influence of western cultures on immigrants and based on life experiences and not media reportage.
Due to the nature of what I do, I have traversed almost all major cities in the UK (except Newcastle, Portsmouth and a couple others) b4 reaching my conclusion.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:52am On Jan 07, 2023
Treadway:
one of my major sentiments, I'm wayyy too protective of my kids. I cannot can. Me and this Nairalander were having this exact discussion 3 MTHS ago. Aside many lacking values to pass on to children, many simply just do not have the time because bills have to be paid!

Well said!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 1:11am On Jan 07, 2023
Impressive. For the benefit of others, can you share the following details

1. Type of accounts you opened
2. Type of credit card (if any)?
3. How do you pay your bills?

LaXxOnebody:
I guess I've been lucky with my credit score. Its 572 and I'm just under 2 months in the country.

I opened 3 accounts and had a significant inflow of about £5k so I don't know if that helped.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 1:22am On Jan 07, 2023
Osoderi:

Are you planning to get your score to 100000?

You are just stressing yourself for nothing.

The higher range credit score takes years to achieve and there are several factors that impact achieving that high score.

Applying for multiple lines of credit will not increase your credit score. It will either stagnante your score or decrease it. Instead stick to one line of credit (maximum 2), maintain excellent account usuage and work on increasing your credit limit for each line of credit. Imagine having a limit of £16,000 on amex, what other credit card am I looking for again

You can get a mortgage with your existing score. Lenders look at a lot of factors and not necessarily your credit score. I have seen new immigrants (those on tier 2) without credit cards get mortgages within a year in this country and in one example, one of the named individuals on the mortgage application (spouse) wasn't even on the electoral roll.

The underwriters look at a lot of factors- your occupation, employer, how long you've been employed, how far you are from retirement age, affordability, outgoings, number of dependents, account usage, income, etc.

This is why is a good mortgage broker is worth their weight in gold. They can package your application to the underwriters highlighting all the positive factors and mitigating any risks or concerns that the underwriters might raise.

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 1:40am On Jan 07, 2023
Ralphlauren:

Are you planning to get your score to 100000?

You are just stressing yourself for nothing.

The higher range credit score takes years to achieve and there are several factors that impact achieving that high score.

Applying for multiple lines of credit will not increase your credit score. It will either stagnante your score or decrease it. Instead stick to one line of credit (maximum 2), maintain excellent account usuage and work on increasing your credit limit for each line of credit. Imagine having a limit of £16,000 on amex, what other credit card am I looking for again

You can get a mortgage with your existing score. Lenders look at a lot of factors and not necessarily your credit score. I have seen new immigrants (those on tier 2) without credit cards get mortgages within a year in this country and in one example, one of the named individuals on the mortgage application (spouse) wasn't even on the electoral roll.

The underwriters look at a lot of factors- your occupation, employer, how long you've been employed, how far you are from retirement age, affordability, outgoings, number of dependents, account usage, income, etc.

This is why is a good mortgage broker is worth their weight in gold. They can package your application to the underwriters highlighting all the positive factors and mitigating any risks or concerns that the underwriters might raise.

nice one. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 3:49am On Jan 07, 2023
Hello house pls I want to confirm if companies in UK allows ones to take unpaid leave.

my friend in U S A took about four months unpaid leave from work to take care of her child and she was given and she still retained her job. so I want to confirm if one can do it here in the UK without been sacked.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brine(m): 4:45am On Jan 07, 2023
BuildingProject:

For someone that is a student working part time and has like 40% deposit. What are the possible requirements to get a mortgage?

Does the person requires a payslip? If yes, how many month?

If i have an Accountant that can " provide" the payslip, is the bank going to verify the NI paid or would likely request to see the bank statement showing the payment monthly?

I know I need a mortgage advisor on this but we still have elders here that can detect a white fowl from the pot. Lol.

40% deposit for a house is good but the issues would be affordability and the length of your visa. Also, not forgetting proof of funds(6 months bank statement) needed by your solicitor. Ideally, your lender would likey request for just 3 months payslip and bank statement. If at all you'll find, the interest rate offered to you will be on the high side.

Asides from the deposit, you'll also need to pay solicitors, survey(optional), mortgage broker(optional), etc. So, it's important you put those payments into consideration.

While it's good to get on the property market as soon as it's convenient, I just hope people who are doing it are doing it for the right financial reasons. I have seen so many "how can I buy a house in 2 months of arriving the UK" and" how can get my credit score to Bleep in 2 months" a lot here and it all just reeks of desperation and that Nigerian mentality of "we have arrived".

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brine(m): 4:50am On Jan 07, 2023
Does anyone know where I can get an internship placement for my kid brother in Doncaster? He's a computer scientist looking for a 6months internship. I've already checked indeed, glasdoor, linkedIn and totaljobs.

Thank you as you provide me with a link or something cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (795) (796) (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.