Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,928 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. (2918 Views)

Vote Of No Confidence: Governor Yahaya Bello Reacts, Blasts APC Chairman / APC Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello / Photos Of Nnamdi Kanu In Court Toady: ''I Have No Confidence In This Court'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by MAYOWAAK: 1:30am On May 21, 2011
Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has passed a vote of no confidence in President Goodluck Jonathan and Vice President Namadi Sambo, saying the duo cannot bring Nigeria out of the woods.

El-Rufai also said that Jonathan’s comment on the crisis that trailed the outcome of the presidential election is irresponsible. “I believe that Goodluck Jonathan and Sambo are not anywhere near in capacity to deliver Nigeria out of the woods that Buhari/Bakare could do. I have made that statement even before I joined the team and I stand by that. But this was my basis: I believe that Buhari/Bakare was by far, the most competent ticket,” he said.

On the post-presidential election crisis, El-Rufai said: “Six days after this crisis started, the Presidency said nothing. Complete indifference. And when Jonathan chose to speak, he was raising the spectre of Biafra. That was not a responsible response, with all due respect.”

Speaking further, the former director general of the Bureau for Public Enterprise said: “The three leading presidential candidates in this election are people I know very, very well. Nuhu Ribadu is my friend and my brother and if I am to choose whom to support on the basis of friendship and brotherhood, Nuhu will be number one because he is the closest to me.

“Goodluck Jonathan, I have known since he was deputy governor. He is my friend. I visited him several times when he was governor of Bayelsa State. He has visited my house; we have had dinner several times together. I know him. But more than Nuhu Ribadu, Nigerians know him as president because he has been there for one year and they can see how he has governed the country.

“General Muhammadu Buhari was president from 1983 to 1985. I was a young guy then but he inspired many of us with the rules of discipline, probity and integrity and many of us that came into public service with the passion that we did well, were inspired by the example of Buhari-Idiagbon regime and the Murtala-Obasanjo regime before it. And in my opinion, among the three contestants, Buhari/Bakare ticket was by far, the best of the three. That is why, against all appeals to my friendship with Nuhu Ribadu, my brotherhood with him or my friendship with Goodluck Jonathan, I pitched my tent with the Buhari/Bakare ticket. I think that was the ticket that was likely to change the direction of Nigeria for the better.”

How would you describe the just concluded elections?
Well, election is a multi-step process: you register, you get accredited, you vote, the votes are counted and results are announced. I will be the first to admit that the registration has improved greatly and in my view, the biometric register that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has been able to come up with, is one of the most reliable that we have had in our history.

Secondly, I think the voting process at the polling unit level has improved dramatically. It has largely been peaceful in most parts of Nigeria; there have been lower instances of ballot stuffing than before. So, to that extent, there has been improvement to that level. But beyond that, nothing has changed because the systematic falsification of results begins immediately the results and the results sheets leave the polling units and we are going to produce evidence of that as we go through the tribunal process.

There is massive thumb-printing of ballot papers and attempt to bring them into the system all through the country. In some parts of the country, for the presidential election, there was really no election. Results were just written and announced like it has been in the past. So, while one would admit that certain steps in the election process have improved, on the whole, the outcome has not improved. Falsification of results is still the order of the day and most of what you have seen announced as results of the election, have no connection with the actual number of votes cast by the citizens of this country.

Are you saying there is no much difference between the 2007 and 2011 elections?

There are some differences in the sense that the registration has improved. We don’t have names like Mike Tyson in the register now. The election process itself has improved, in the sense that people queue, get accredited and register. These are the only improvements and I would say that is the only difference but beyond that, nothing has changed. The improvement, if any, has been marginal.

There is the allegation that the INEC chairman, Professor Attahiru Jega, connived with President Goodluck Jonathan to rig the elections. Is it true?

I would not go as far as that because I believe that Attahiru Jega is a decent man and I believe he tried his best to have credible elections. And within the factors in his control, the registration he did was decent. He organized the elections and have people line up and do it peacefully. I think he tried his best. Resident Electoral Commissioners and some governors failed him, but on the whole, he tried.

I would not go as far as saying that he went into the election willfully to lead to the result that we have. But I think there were some things that were a way above him. I think he could have done better in some areas. For instance, if results were brought to you and they don’t add up, I would not say go and reconcile. I would cancel the result and say do it again. But that is my opinion and I am not under the same pressure or have the same information that he has. So, I would not go as far as condemning Attahiru Jega entirely. I would say that he got some things right, but many things went wrong and I hope that now that he has time to do a review and see where he has been deceived by those working with him, he will take corrective steps because ultimately, the only way we can have real elections in this country, that reflects the legitimacy of the people, is when the results at the polling units go directly to Attahiru Jega, for him to announce the results of the election without any human intervention in-between. This is what he has to work on, but I don’t think he went into this election with any willful desire to be dishonest.

What are those corrective steps and what do you intend to achieve with the tribunal?

The corrective steps are very simple, in my view. You have to eliminate human agency between the time and point that people vote at the polling unit level and results are announced to the ultimate announcement of the results. Today, with the technologies that exist, it should be possible that as soon as we finish voting, results are announced. I see no reason with the technologies that we have now, communication technologies and encrypting technologies, that these results cannot be sent directly to a central computer in INEC that will tabulate the results automatically and as soon as all the results are out, announce the winner without any human being intervening in-between. What we have seen in this election is that as soon as you take the result sheets to a collation centre, a zero is added or the results are changed, or the results sheet is torn and a new one done and party agents’ signatures forged. So, you have to remove that human intervention. Unless you remove it, we will never have clean elections in the country because those that are in authority will try to alter the results to their benefit. Those are the corrective steps and the technologies exist to do that. It is up to Jega to figure out how to do it in a cost effective and transparent manner.

[b]The main reason I think that the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), our party, decided to go to the tribunal is to deepen and broaden our democracy because as long as people in power feel that they can cheat in elections and get away with it, governance in Nigeria will never improve. Unless people know that in the next four years if they don’t work for the people they can be voted out, we will continue to have bad governance. This is why we are going to the tribunal. We want to know how many votes were actually cast for each candidate in this election, who won the election and if no one won, let the judges decide. We will get the ballots examined to remove all those that were thumb-printed overnight by government officials and other people and stuffed in ballot boxes and declared for one candidate or another. If at the end of the day, these false results are eliminated and we have the proper results of the election, I think it will go a long way in sending a message to all election riggers that they will only have a few days to enjoy the fruit of their rigging.[/b]

Secondly, the biometric voters register will reveal the names and faces of all those that have participated in rigging elections because if you are a registered voter and you thumb-print, the biometric voters register will show your face, your name and everything. And our hope is that, that will give Jega that foundation to prosecute all those that engaged in multiple voting and multiple registrations and so on and so forth. At the end of the day, whatever the judges decide will determine whether democracy is broadened and deepened in this country and election riggers are punished and the real results of the election will be known to every Nigerian and when the real results are known, the winner can be congratulated by the loser and there will be no argument. But right now, we have argument because there is evidence available to us that there was thumb-printing of ballot papers in virtually every election. Not just the presidential election but virtually every election that has taken place and most of the results that were announced. As we speak, the ballot papers are being thumb-printed to match those results. So, we want the technology to be applied; we want the evidence to be presented, so that we can know how many people voted for Jonathan, how many people voted for Buhari, how many people voted for Ribadu truly as well as every other candidate in every election that we are challenging. We hope that at the end of the day, that will take Nigeria’s democracy forward.

Specifically, where do you situate the blame?

I think the blame lies fairly and squarely on INEC because it is their job to conduct clean elections. If they were not ready and they did not have the infrastructure in place and the capability in place to ensure that this rigging doesn’t happen, it is their fault.

Secondly, how did the incumbent governors and the team from the president’s campaign team got ballot papers?
They couldn’t have got them from any other person but INEC. But they did get ballot papers, they have thumb-printed them and they have been declared winners. So, the blame falls largely on INEC because INEC is independent and they could do whatever they want and some of them succumbed to pressure of authority and got ballot papers to the ruling party in every election to rig. The primary blame is on INEC but the secondary blame is on the government of the day because it used the security agencies and other coercive instruments of state to create a militarize situation to rig elections. In my state, up till today, we have a curfew.

Would you say the international community was misled?

The international community was deceived. It was 419 because what they saw was Nigerians lining up and voting and they thought that was the end of the election. They cannot understand that any public official will alter the results because in their country, that is perjury. That is a big offence. It is perjury and it is obstruction of justice and you go to long prison terms if you do that. But they don’t know that in Nigeria, no one has been convicted, in recent time, for those kinds of offences and that people do it with impunity. The international community was hoodwinked but by God’s grace, by the time the tribunal process is over and the real results are shown and technologies apply to show how many times some people voted, I think the international community will come to the understanding of what happened.

Do you think the president would try to pervert the cause of justice?

I don’t want to judge him or presume that he will pervert the cause of justice. We will have to wait and see but Nigerians should not just wait and allow anyone to pervert the cause of justice. We should be vigilant; we should bring out all the facts and we should ensure that justice is done. No one, no one however powerful, should be allowed to pervert the cause of justice and I hope no one tries.

Some Nigerians have blamed General Muhammadu Buhari for the crisis that trailed the outcome of the presidential election, while Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor and Asari Dokubo, have even called for his arrest. Should the blame be on General Buhari? Should he be arrested?

Let me start by asking, why did the violence happen? It is very easy to be simplistic about this or be emotional about this. This violence did not take place 10 days before the election. It took place a few days after the election and what was it? It was a reaction to what many people saw as patent falsification of results and cheating and it was not the first time it was happening in Nigeria’s history. In 1964, we had elections that led to crisis in the West. A state of emergency was declared.

In 1983, we had elections in which the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) tried to steal the elections in Ondo State and there was violence; there were killings. Nobody came out and called for the arrest of Chief Obafemi Awolowo. In 1993, the elections were annulled and there was crisis; there were killings in the South-West. Nobody said it was a religious crisis or called for the arrest of anyone. So, I don’t understand all these funny people going round, saying Buhari should be arrested. I don’t know whether they have read history or understand what they are saying.

In what way is Buhari responsible for this? Is the government not responsible for the security of life and property? Don’t they read security report? Don’t they know that if they are a competent government flawed elections could lead to crisis? What did they do to pre-empt it? What did they do? They did nothing to pre-empt this and when the crisis started, they were late in responding to it. Everyone was calling on General Buhari to intervene. Does General Buhari control the police? Does he control the army? Why were they asking him to intervene? They were asking him to intervene because he is the only person with the moral authority to call this thing to an end. They have lost moral authority; they have no control of coercive instruments of power because they were behind the whole crisis. They created it.

This crisis started Monday morning. By afternoon, General Buhari flew from Daura to Abuja, spoke to Aljazeera, spoke to the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Hausa Service and any other medium he could find, to appeal to everyone to calm down, that this is not the way to resolve political disagreement. He did his best. Why is he being blamed? And this Oritsejafor and Asari Dokubo that are calling for the arrest of General Buhari, are they drunk? Do they understand what they are doing? Arrest him for what? For what? I don’t understand people that make these statements, whether they have any idea of how to govern a country because when you are governing a country, the first order of business is peace and order. And they make such careless statements, which do not help anyone.

It was also reported that the party justified the killings. Are you toeing the same line?

No, no, no, no, no. The party justified the killings in what way? The National legal adviser of the party issued a statement, explaining that this is the position of the party and this is why we are going to the tribunal. One newspaper, out of all the newspapers in Nigeria, out of all the communication media in Nigeria, came up with this headline ‘CPC justifies killings,’ and the following day, the Presidency issued a statement along the same line. Clearly, you can see that the Presidency and this newspaper are working in cohort to create a false impression. If CPC justified killings in that statement, every other newspaper in Nigeria would get it. Why didn’t they have the same headline? When did the national legal adviser say CPC justified the killings? And in what circumstances can any reasonable person justify the killing of another? What circumstances? We are a responsible people, a reasonable people. We believe in the progress of this country. How can anyone justify the killing of another?

How do you see the reaction of the Presidency and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) towards the killings?

Complete indifference because six days after this crisis started, the Presidency said nothing. And when Jonathan chose to speak, he was raising the spectre of Biafra. That was not a responsible response, with all due respect. So, there is complete indifference. There is a feeling that ok, northerners are killing themselves, it is ok. But these people are Nigerians and they are entitled to respect and the preservation of their life and property. And that is the primary duty of the government, which it has failed to do in my opinion.

Was the crisis fairly reported in the media?

I think the reporting by the media is pathetic. I am sorry. The reporting has been one sided, lacked depth and what the media were doing, was actually contributing more to the crisis because by pushing the agenda that someone else is responsible for protection of life and property other than the sitting government of the country, I think they were encouraging crisis in itself because that is what they tried to do by pushing the agenda that the CPC is to blame, rather than saying the government failed to be pre-emptive, failed to be responsive to this crisis and I think it is contributing to the problems of the country.

There seems to be a conspiracy of some sort not to report everything that has happened in this crisis. For instance, in my state, Kaduna, hundreds of people were killed. Most of them that were killed were killed because they were suspected to be CPC supporters. These killings took place on both sides and I am not justifying anything. I am not saying it is right. I don’t agree to anyone killing another under any circumstances without the due process of law. But the whole focus of the media was on the death of 10 youth corps members. They even forgot that before the elections started, youth corps members were killed in Suleja, Niger State. They were bombed. They died. Nobody is talking about them. The focus is just on 10 youth corpers in Bauchi, to the exclusion of every one else.

Now, human life is sacred and no human life is better than another or more deserving of attention than another. In my state, hundreds of people were killed; no paper reported it except one. What is going on? Should not all the facts come out so that we learn from this and ensure that it is not repeated? But the spin it has got is to blame someone else rather than solve the problem. And I have deep problems with that.

Why do you think the media reported half of the crisis?

I don’t know. You should ask the media. The story going round is that some have been paid not to report certain things. We have just shown you a video where hundreds of people were put in mass graves and pictures of CPC office and Mosque and so on being burnt down. That is one side of the story. I am not saying that you should report only that side, but the media should report every side. Churches were burnt. Mosques were also burnt and innocent people were killed that were CPC supporters, that were PDP supporters. Why did it happen? What should we do to ensure that no Nigerian ever get killed in this kind of situation because it has happened too often? As I said, it happened in 1964, 1983, 1993 and it has happened again. What needs to be studied is the fundamental problem that led to this. And we should address it. But to slant stories so that you blame someone else to reach a pre-determined conclusion, I think it is irresponsible journalism.

Did you foresee that kind of situation before the election?

Look, any reasonable, thoughtful individual, living in Nigeria, knows that if the elections were not free and fair, there would be protest because the mood of the country was such that no one was ready to accept anything other than clean elections. And the mood of the country can be read from the bi-elections in Ekiti, Anambra and Delta. We can all see that the foundation was being laid that if elections were not generally free, fair and credible, there would be crisis of some sort. What shape or form that crisis will take, only God knows. But it is up to the government in power, to perceive this as others have perceived, to take pre-emptive steps and ensure that it doesn’t happen by first having clean elections and if the elections are not clean, taking the pre-emptive steps necessary to ensure that there is no violence. Let the protest, if there is going to be, be peaceful. But they did none of the above. They did none. They just sat back.

[b]But why did it degenerate to sectarian crisis?[/b

]I don’t know at what point it degenerated because when it started, it was certainly not sectarian. Our suspicion, in Kaduna State at least, the information we got was that one of the PDP leaders said look, if you don’t muddy the waters, they will get all of us. So, some people were sponsored to go and burn a church and that gave it the sectarian coloration needed and in a place like Kaduna State, where religion and ethnic tensions have always been quite moderate to high, this was likely to happen because if you look at the pattern of this violence, you will see clearly.
Some people are saying sectarian. The Sultan of Sokoto’s palace was surrounded. Is he a Christian? Is the Emir of Kano a Christian? Is the Emir of Zauzau a Christian? Traditional rulers, respected at some point in our history, had their houses surrounded and youths were demanding to get at them. These people were not Christians. So, when did it become sectarian? It is not ethnic because these people are not Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw or whatever.

Ghali Na’Abba’s house in Kano was burnt. Is he a Christian or is he from Anambra State? This crisis started because people that are disempowered, felt that they have been cheated and in a spontaneous way, reacted by targeting people that they thought were responsible for their condition. This was how it started and of course, things went out of control. Nobody can justify violence or that reaction but it has happened?

How do you see the constitution of the 22-man panel by President Goodluck Jonathan to look into the crisis?

Well, legal opinions have been given to the effect that the president has no power under the constitution to establish such a panel. The judgment of the Supreme Court in Fawehinmi vs Babangida also establishes that without any doubt. So, there is a legal issue involved, whether the panel is duly constituted under the law because the president may not have the powers under the constitution and the law to do so. That is one. There is a legality question. And then, the panel has a credibility question because the same day that the president inaugurated the panel, his special adviser on media, issued a statement that the CPC was responsible for the violence. So, if the presidency that convened that panel has already decided that the CPC was guilty, what do you think the panel will come up with? It is not likely to come up with anything different because their convener has already said that someone is guilty. So, they have a credibility problem too. I am not saying they will necessarily come up with that conclusion but I am saying to Sheik Ahmed Lemu that his panel has a credibility problem, created by the same person that convened them. These are the two issues.

What is the way out?

The way out is to follow the law and to allow state governors to establish panels in their states to investigate the violence within their territory and the panel should consist of credible people, non-partisan people that are respected, to go into the root of this crisis so that once and for all, we address this culture in which the slightest thing leads to people killing each other. Neighbours killing each other! It is not right. It is wrong and we must put a stop to it, whether it is happening in Jos or Kaduna or anywhere else. We must put a stop to it and the only way to put a stop to it is to go to the root of the crisis, find those that were responsible and deal with them according to the law.

How do you see the five million naira gift to the bereaved?

No amount of money is enough to compensate for the loss of a human life. No amount of money. And I think rather than engage in populist hide-out, there is a need for a comprehensive policy to compensate victims of this kind of violence. Many people have been killed in Jos. What about them? 5, 000; 10, 000; 100,000! I think there should be a policy to deal with this kind of senseless deaths of every Nigerian. I have no opinion about how much money that is reasonable. I think if you get experts, they can debate that and come up with a figure that should be paid to every family that lost a relation from this crisis and all those that lost their property should be adequately compensated by the government and then we put in place, a system that will ensure that it is not repeated. Unless the government feels the pinch, actually pays the price of this violence, it will continue to repeat itself. So, I want us to go beyond five million for youth corps members and have a thoughtful and comprehensive policy to compensate innocent victims of violence, innocent victims of arson and destruction of property. We need that in the country and if necessary, we need legislation backing it. We need a comprehensive solution and not selective, populist ad hoc interventions. They would not work. They would not solve the problem.

How would you assess the president and his victory at the polls?

We don’t think he has won. That is why we are in the tribunal and we hope that the tribunal process, as I said, will not only deepen and broaden our democracy, but will determine who the winner is. If he is declared winner, other leaders of the CPC and I, will be happy to congratulate him. He has ruled Nigeria for one year. I think I leave every Nigerian to judge what the next four years are likely to be.

People always respect your opinion (he laughs). So, what is your take on President Goodluck Jonathan?

Look, I have already made my statement and I have made my choice. The three leading presidential candidates in this election are people I know very, very well. Nuhu Ribadu is my friend and my brother and if I am to choose whom to support on the basis of friendship and brotherhood, Nuhu will be number one because he is the closest to me. Goodluck Jonathan, I have known since he was deputy governor. He is my friend. I visited him several times when he was governor of Bayelsa; he has visited my house, and we have had dinner several times together. I know him. But more than Nuhu Ribadu, Nigerians know him as president because he has been there for one year and they can see how he has governed the country.
General Muhammdu Buhari was head of state from 1983 to 1985. I was a young guy then but he inspired many of us with the rules of discipline, probity and integrity and many of us that came into public service with the passion that we did well, were inspired by the example of Buhari-Idiagbon regime and the Murtala-Obasanjo regime before it. And in my opinion, among the three contestants, Buhari/Bakare ticket was by far, the best of the three. That is why against all appeals to my friendship with Nuhu Ribadu, my brotherhood with him or my friendship with Goodluck Jonathan, I pitched my tent with the Buhari/Bakare ticket. I think that was the ticket that was likely to change the direction of Nigeria for the better.

Was that why you left the PDP?

No. I left PDP long before. I left the PDP when our attempts at reforms failed. And the shape of the PDP of today is not in anything near the PDP that I was a member of when I joined in 1999. And I left! After the reforms failed, I said there is no hope in the party and I left. I did not join the CPC until a little later. But this was my basis: I believe that Buhari/Bakare was by far, the most competent ticket and I believe that Goodluck Jonathan and Sambo are not anywhere near in capacity to deliver Nigeria out of the woods that Buhari/Bakare could do. I have made that statement even before I joined the team and I stand by that. But I don’t want to judge anyone. And if Jonathan is our bona fide president, we will congratulate him and pray for him if the tribunal declares him the winner, we will pray for him to succeed because his success is the success of every Nigerian. But I don’t want to judge him in advance. I want people to look at the last one year and project where the next one year will be if he remains president.

SOURCE:http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/21/national-21-05-2011-01.html
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by werepeLeri: 2:33am On May 21, 2011
He is lobbying for a post in Buhari's government - thief.

1 Like

Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Mynd44: 5:45am On May 21, 2011
Well i am not suprised. El 3ufai has a thing for scoring points off the party in power

1 Like

Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by jimmysho(m): 6:07am On May 21, 2011
What do you expect from him? kilo tu ku ti o so, eni tabe lori to n senu wuye
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by maddock(m): 6:09am On May 21, 2011
I have a couple of questions and I don't know who might b in a better position to answer
1.I thought votes are supposed to be counted in all the polling units after due accreditation and voting. To which the resident electoral officer would announce the number of people that have been accreditated and later the results which should tally with the number of people accredited .If yes where does the isssue of multiple thumbprinting comes in, the other parties do they not have their party agents present in all pooling units to monitor the whole process? IMO if the results were supposed to be announced in all for instance 2000 units and you have you agents there in all 2000 units. At least by the end of the elections by doing you mathematics you should ave an idea what's the total figure
2. The biometric issues can't the prints from the thumbs be extracted and scanned on INEC main data base to ascertain who register and who voted more than more.At least that would help us in prosecuting all those that fraudulently participated in these elections. Am tired of reading about different people whinning about the conducts of the elections.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by dustydee: 9:42am On May 21, 2011
Same here
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by dustydee: 9:57am On May 21, 2011
maddock:

I have a couple of questions and I don't know who might b in a better position to answer
1.I thought votes are supposed to be counted in all the polling units after due accreditation and voting. To which the resident electoral officer would announce the number of people that have been accreditated and later the results which should tally with the number of people accredited .If yes where does the isssue of multiple thumbprinting comes in, the other parties do they not have their party agents present in all pooling units to monitor the whole process? IMO if the results were supposed to be announced in all for instance 2000 units and you have you agents there in all 2000 units. At least by the end of the elections by doing you mathematics you should ave an idea what's the total figure
2. The biometric issues can't the prints from the thumbs be extracted and scanned on INEC main data base to ascertain who register and who voted more than more.At least that would help us in prosecuting all those that fraudulently participated in these elections. Am tired of reading about different people whinning about the conducts of the elections.
how do you know the number of votes cast when your agents and supporters werenot allowed near polling booths?
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by marvix(m): 11:00am On May 21, 2011
dustydee:

how do you know the number of votes cast when your agents and supporters werenot allowed near polling booths?

Please where were agents and supporters not allowed near polling booths?

Everything here is just a rant from El Rufai as usual, I used to respect the man but these days hes lost all that, was the govt of Obj better than this govt, he should honestly answer this, what was the response of the Obj govt to people and corp members who lost their lives in political crisis.

The emirs who had their houses burnt were supporters of GEJ in the elections and that was why they were targets, reports had it that Sambos wife was attacked and had to run into an emirs palace for refuge and the irate youths still attempted to burn it down, if he had in 2003 advised Obj to conduct an election as credible as the 2011 elections would we be talking about this todayy?
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by 1025: 11:21am On May 21, 2011

@maddock,
in those elections, we had three major parties viz; acn, cpc and pdp. do u know of any of these parties that is not in the court challanging results of the elections? pdp is in the court over what they call under aged voters in the northern parts of the country where u and i know too well as the cpc base while in the west, pdp and other parties are challanging the results that position acn as the winners so also was apga challanging the election of ngige in anambra state. in abia, the other parties are accusing pdp of rigging. if these active participants are saying there were cases of rigging, who are u and who am i? did u see the you tube video of election malpractices in port harcourt? if any of us says this one is better than what we used to have, then i am game but if anyone calls this a free and fair election, then americans and ghanians need another experience.
in the so called free and fair elections, how many nysc members died? how many nigerians died? an election that did not ensure the security of the voters can never be called free and fair. if you do not know, this election consumed more lives that any other election u can think of in nigeria.
in any free and fair election, i can bet u, pdp can never win 20% in nigeria.
look at chief raymond dokpesi who never wanted jonathan, he was accused of bombing abuja but since he joined jonathan's team forcefully, he has never been in the problem of bombing. do u call forcing ppl to join u or vote u free and fair?
as if dokpesi did not join the jonathan campaign team by now, ait must have been a thing of the past as was the slok air of orji uzor kalu.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Nobody: 11:43am On May 21, 2011
I used to take this guy seriously but I am not sure anymore.

Someone should tell this guy that he has just one vote. Whether electoral vote or vote of confidence he is only entitled to his own one vote.

The rest of Nigeria have chosen who their leader will be for the next 4years. he should get used to it.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 21, 2011
marvix:

Please where were agents and supporters not allowed near polling booths?

Everything here is just a rant from El Rufai as usual, I used to respect the man but these days hes lost all that, was the govt of Obj better than this govt, he should honestly answer this, what was the response of the Obj govt to people and corp members who lost their lives in political crisis.

The emirs who had their houses burnt were supporters of GEJ in the elections and that was why they were targets, reports had it that Sambos wife was attacked and had to run into an emirs palace for refuge and the irate youths still attempted to burn it down, if he had in 2003 advised Obj to conduct an election as credible as the 2011 elections would we be talking about this todayy?

If u dont know dat party agents of opposing parties were suppressed by pdp in the south then u need to find out more
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by fineboy200: 9:21pm On May 21, 2011
it is only a fool that will listen to their fellow fools like el-rufai when transformation is on going. an arewa fool like him who would never suggest a way forward for the arewa people but flaring when biafra is mentioned. when 2015 comes we will know.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Abagworo(m): 9:35pm On May 21, 2011
I have a whole lot of respect for this guy.He simply stated the obvious.The truth about the killing of corpers and burning of churches wil lead this country into chaos because people will understand how wicked PDP is and how they have murdered these young people just to blackmail the opposition.Nigerians should ask for a televised trial of the suspects…
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by fineboy200: 10:00pm On May 21, 2011
Abagworo:

I have a whole lot of respect for this guy.He simply stated the obvious.The truth about the killing of corpers and burning of churches wil lead this country into chaos because people will understand how wicked PDP is and how they have murdered these young people just to blackmail the opposition.Nigerians should ask for a televised trial of the suspects…

I BEG TO DISAGREE WITH YOU. PDP MIGHT BE A BAD PARTY, BUT WE VOTED FOR JONATHAN, MOREOVER THE VIOLENCE IS NOT MASTERMINDED BY PDP BUT BY BAD LOOSERS - THE CPC.

RIGHT NOW IN THE AREWA, EVERYBODY IS CHOOSING HIS WORDS IN ORDER TO SAVE THEIR HEADS FROM MOB ATTACKS, I LIVE IN THE NORTH I KNOW WHAT IM SAYING. THE NORTHERNERS/MUSLIMS ARE NOT CONFORTABLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN NATIONALLY EMBARRASSED.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by jmaine: 12:06am On May 22, 2011
Stromae:

If u dont know dat party agents of opposing parties were suppressed by pdp in the south then u need to find out more

[size=18pt]VOID [/size], [size=14pt]where in the south Sir, cos the south is vast [/size]
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Nobody: 1:15am On May 22, 2011
If El-Rufai truly nurses a Presidential ambition like we all know, he is definitely doing a good job destroying his chances.

Dishonesty and outright lies have no place in the digital age.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by 1025: 1:40am On May 22, 2011
I BEG TO DISAGREE WITH YOU. PDP MIGHT BE A BAD PARTY, BUT WE VOTED FOR JONATHAN, MOREOVER THE VIOLENCE IS NOT MASTERMINDED BY PDP BUT BY BAD LOOSERS - THE CPC.

RIGHT NOW IN THE AREWA, EVERYBODY IS CHOOSING HIS WORDS IN ORDER TO SAVE THEIR HEADS FROM MOB ATTACKS, I LIVE IN THE NORTH I KNOW WHAT IM SAYING. THE NORTHERNERS/MUSLIMS ARE NOT CONFORTABLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN NATIONALLY EMBARRASSED.

@fineboy200,
u have done nothing but speak like a boy that u are. on 1st october 2010, there were bomb blasts and jonathan told nigerians afterwards that Chief raymond dokapesi was behind that. Chief dokpesi was a pdp member supporting the IBB presidential ambition. after the accusation, this same dokpesi joined jonathan;s campaign team under the same pdp. what happened to the victims of that bomb blasts? what was the outcome of all accusations? my brother grow up. it is only in nigeria that a whole ship will miss without trace and bombs explodes without trace. bola ige a sitting attorney general of the federation was killed with trace. apart from nigeria, where else do u see ppl do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different result.
i have asked this before but am yet to get an answer maybe u will help. pdp in the north are challenging the winning of cpc, while apga is challenging the winning of ngige in anambra state. the case is not different in the west so if all these key players are challenging the credibility of these elections, how did we arrive at the so-called free and fair elections?
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Nobody: 9:01am On May 22, 2011
jmaine:

[size=18pt]VOID [/size], [size=14pt]where in the south Sir, cos the south is vast [/size]

Rivers state, Delta state, Imo state, that i know of
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by jamace(m): 10:36am On May 22, 2011
El Rufai has said his own. I may not doubt him. But who are we, mere mortals, to blame the gods for Jonathan's success?
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by honeric01(m): 12:07pm On May 22, 2011
^^^

So the gods made Jonathan win and not the "votes"? undecided
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by marvix(m): 12:31pm On May 22, 2011
Stromae:

Rivers state, Delta state, Imo state, that i know of

I voted in Rivers state and nobody intimidated or harassed any opposition party agent, I will tell u again that in my polling booth the agent for ACN voted for Jonathan, the wife of d agent for CPC voted Jonathan, the elections were peaceful here because everyone wanted to vote Jonathan, even in situations where voters came late for voting the agents all agreed to let them vote.

The presidential elections were no contest in the south Buhari himself knows this, in the SS it should be a 100% for jonathan because even those who didnot like his person saw no better alternative, in the north Jonathan campaigned and that was why the elections were keenly contested there, some politicians in the north rose above ethnic sentiments to support Jonathan most of those politicians were the target of the attacks in the north, some emirs supported Jonathans ambition that was why they had their palaces surrounded.

It is a pity that we Nigerians can never see anything good in us, incase you dont know the gods have willed Jonathan to be president the peoples votes was just a way to make it happen!
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by OmoTier1(m): 12:41pm On May 22, 2011
mikeansy:

If El-Rufai truly nurses a Presidential ambition like we all know, he is definitely doing a good job destroying his chances.

Dishonesty and outright lies have no place in the digital age.
I thought you will allow reasoning to prevail but as usual, you gave in to sentiments.

I am not a fan of El-rufai but after reading that interview,any body who wishes nigeria well,would no doubt agree that the sailent points raised by el-rufai in his response to these thorny national issues is very thoughful,challenging indeed! How I wish our president can coherently articulate answers to topical matters.

PDP(which I hate with a passion)has decieved and continue to deceive nigerians. They truly lack the capacity to take this country to the next phase! The re-emergence of regional alliances/party is largely due to the failures of the evil monster called PDP.

Like el-rufai rightly said about the killings pre and post elections, the PDP led government if truly they have the capacity to redeem nigeria would have come up with special measures to checkmate it seeing that it has become recalling decimal in our democractic experiment. But like everything else in the last 12years, we have been told lies.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by OmoTier1(m): 1:08pm On May 22, 2011
marvix:

I voted in Rivers state and nobody intimidated or harassed any opposition party agent, I will tell u again that in my polling booth the agent for ACN voted for Jonathan, the wife of d agent for CPC voted Jonathan, the elections were peaceful here because everyone wanted to vote Jonathan, even in situations where voters came late for voting the agents all agreed to let them vote.

The presidential elections were no contest in the south Buhari himself knows this, in the SS it should be a 100% for jonathan because even those who didnot like his person saw no better alternative, in the north Jonathan campaigned and that was why the elections were keenly contested there, some politicians in the north rose above ethnic sentiments to support Jonathan most of those politicians were the target of the attacks in the north, some emirs supported Jonathans ambition that was why they had their palaces surrounded.

It is a pity that we Nigerians can never see anything good in us, incase you dont know the gods have willed Jonathan to be president the peoples votes was just a way to make it happen!
foolish talk
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 22, 2011
@Omo Tier 1

Let me start by asking, why did the violence happen? It is very easy to be simplistic about this or be emotional about this. This violence did not take place 10 days before the election. It took place a few days after the election and what was it? It was a reaction to what many people saw as patent falsification of results and cheating and it was not the first time it was happening in Nigeria’s history. In 1964, we had elections that led to crisis in the West. A state of emergency was declared.

In 1983, we had elections in which the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) tried to steal the elections in Ondo State and there was violence; there were killings. Nobody came out and called for the arrest of Chief Obafemi Awolowo. In 1993, the elections were annulled and there was crisis; there were killings in the South-West. Nobody said it was a religious crisis or called for the arrest of anyone. So, I don’t understand all these funny people going round, saying Buhari should be arrested. I don’t know whether they have read history or understand what they are saying.

The quote above is an excerpt from a interview you call thoughtful and intellectually challenging.

That any responsible Nigerian thinks that because we have a history of not rejecting and reacting strongly against post election violence in the past that we can not decide to do what is right in 2011? and you call that thought provoking? LWKMD (Laff wan kill me die) Are you having a laugh?
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Beaf: 1:42pm On May 22, 2011
I really pity die-hard Buhari supporters. They are really living in a weird make-believe world and are starting to sound srange and wacky. Sad.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 22, 2011
And for your information, Buhari was blamed because he stoked up the violence before the election. He was busy saying in Aljazeera and BBC Hausa service how the Syrian and Egyptian revolution will be replecated in Nigeria if he did not win. That was why Buhari is being held responsible for the violence.

Now show me where your all knowing El-Rufai has actually condemned this shameful violence? None, nada.

Rather he selectively reminds us of post election violence that occured in pre-civil war Nigeria and yet has the temerity to call the President "irresponsible" for stating the fact which is that some of the post election violence that occured in pre-civil war Nigeria helped stoke up the mistrust that led to the civil war. Those who fail to learn from their own history keep making the same mistakes, that was what the President was saying and I see nothing wrong with that. If El-Rufai thinks the President is irresponsible for reminding the Nation the dangers of the post election violence and how that kind of behaviour has played out in the past? Then I think there is something fundamentally wrong with El-Rufai.

If you want to talk about thought provoking commentary following this post election violence. Let us talk about Babangida Aliyu's comment which clearly states how the Alamajiri's in the North thought Buhari won the election merely because he won in their neighbourhood. If you listen to El-Rufai all he is saying is that the electoral process went well, people voted, people queued orderly, the electoral register was credible but their must have been falsification of the figures because his prefered candidate did not emerge the winner. Imagine such a childish argument.

Hellllloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Exit poll tally and projection released by REUTERS on the night of the election was consistent with   the final results by INEC.

Get used to it Mr El-Rufai your candidate lost fair and square.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 22, 2011
Mr El-Rufai is doing a good job shutting the door on his political future.

No be naija we dey?

This is the digital age, what you say and do is simply one click away.

Let him fly the CPC flag in the election and we will see how far he will get with that.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by iluvnaija: 7:47pm On May 22, 2011
JEGA told Nigerians that notable politicians registered many times and they will be brought to book. Can somebody ask JEGA whats up? JEGA told Nigerians that ballot papers were printed in Japan, I voted and the ballot papers look so ordinary to me and without being told you'll know JEGA is up to something and nobody is saying anything about it.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by davd: 7:56pm On May 22, 2011
It is very unfortunate that some people are intellectually dwarf and spiritually blind. If you take your time and read through El-Rufai interview carefully, you will discover nothing is wrong with his comments. All he is saying is that the elections were not credible and which is the fact. He is not saying Buhari must be the winner but election should have been properly done so that at the end of day a true winner must be congratulated by the loser.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by reindeer: 7:56pm On May 22, 2011
Thank you mallam for being honest.
GEJ is a continuation of Nigeria's rot.
Sad for nija
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by davd: 8:32pm On May 22, 2011
The corrective measures pointed out by El-Rufair are very correct. Not only the results should be directly sent to central computer in INEC, also, number of accredited electorates should be sent to the central computer before casting of votes.
Re: El-rufai Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Jonathan,says Buhari Was The Best. by OmoTier1(m): 10:34pm On May 22, 2011
mikeansy:

And for your information, Buhari was blamed because he stoked up the violence before the election. He was busy saying in Aljazeera and BBC Hausa service how the Syrian and Egyptian revolution will be replecated in Nigeria if he did not win. That was why Buhari is being held responsible for the violence.

Now show me where your all knowing El-Rufai has actually condemned this shameful violence? None, nada.

Rather he selectively reminds us of post election violence that occured in pre-civil war Nigeria and yet has the temerity to call the President "irresponsible" for stating the fact which is that some of the post election violence that occured in pre-civil war Nigeria helped stoke up the mistrust that led to the civil war. Those who fail to learn from their own history keep making the same mistakes, that was what the President was saying and I see nothing wrong with that. If El-Rufai thinks the President is irresponsible for reminding the Nation the dangers of the post election violence and how that kind of behaviour has played out in the past? Then I think there is something fundamentally wrong with El-Rufai.

If you want to talk about thought provoking commentary following this post election violence. Let us talk about Babangida Aliyu's comment which clearly states how the Alamajiri's in the North thought Buhari won the election merely because he won in their neighbourhood. If you listen to El-Rufai all he is saying is that the electoral process went well, people voted, people queued orderly, the electoral register was credible but their must have been falsification of the figures because his prefered candidate did not emerge the winner. Imagine such a childish argument.

Hellllloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Exit poll tally and projection released by REUTERS on the night of the election was consistent with   the final results by INEC.

Get used to it Mr El-Rufai your candidate lost fair and square.  
I despise those who use 'them say' 'hear say' as statement of fact.

The bbc hausa and al'jazera's interviews you referred did not contain words of incitement otherwise 'm sure your low IQ PDP folks would have used that to thier advantage.

El-rufai's comments on the pre and post election crisis is spot on.

Why would the FG engage in acts that seems to suggest that lives in nigeria have disparity value?

Were you not in nigeria when the SSS raised alarm of flash points where election violence may erupt and did erupt unfortunately, - what did the FG do with the intelligence at her disposal? - Again a vivid show of incompetence by the PDP led government.

Finally, I laugh in 'waffi' your statement that Buhari is to blame for the rioting! - Is buhari the FG? Is He the one in charge of the security apparatus of Nigeria? Please lets reason with our brains and not emotional sentiment!

is Buhari/CPC responsible for the senseless killings taking place in BENUE STATE as I type this? I bet you are not even aware that this is happening and the FG has kept mute!

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Printed Excess Ballot Papers To Rig April Polls - CPC / Ogun Senators Submit Letters Of Defection To Mark / Justification For The N5000 Conditional Cash Transfer Program (CCTP)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.