Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% (18324 Views)

Power And Money. Which One Is Greater? / Mele Kyari: 3% To Communities More Than 30% Share For Oil Exploration / Winifred Akpani: Only Less Than 30% Of Fuel Depots Are Operating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Kdon2: 7:56am On Aug 29, 2021
GardenOfGod:

The idiots that are making noise were they not there when the bill was being passed? Did they raise objections.? We never hard of any except senator Dickson former bayelsa governor
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Blakjewelry(m): 8:00am On Aug 29, 2021
RealLordZeus:
To read is a problem to you guys

What they mean in simpler terms is
3% of 30,000 Is greater than 30% of 300
Where they are calculating the percentage also matters.

And coming from the punch, it sounds credible
Nope you read but you lack reasoning power. Why not say 3% to oil producing states nationwide? You I bet you didn't realize that 30% has the potential to exceed the 3% to the oil producing states depending on how large the reserve is, and from the report, there is a huge deposit there.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by hotseat: 8:02am On Aug 29, 2021
The oil bearing/producing states have every reason to be sceptical about this almighty sharing formula where 3% is greater than 30%, based on long perceived shortchanges in the oil sector.

No doubts!

However, those shouting themselves hoarse are not necessarily interested in the development of the oil bearing/producing communities but what they can corner for themselves.

In spite of previous agitations which gave birth to the 13% derivation formula, the NDDC and the Niger Delta Ministry, the results only produced overnight millionaires of a privileged few at the expense of the development of the said communities.

So, though "justified " in arguing against this seemingly lopsided sharing method, the much deprived communities deserve better attention other than the greedy and thieving privileged opportunists robbing them blind.

Egberi fai o!
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Blakjewelry(m): 8:03am On Aug 29, 2021
GardenOfGod:
The point is that the 3% is greater than the 30%
That is not fix yet, you forget there is large deposit of untap oil in the Chad basin, the people that put that clause knows exactly what they are doing. If they want to be fair they would have said 3% to all oil producing states nationwide
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by armadeo(m): 8:04am On Aug 29, 2021
The world is moving away from oil and here we are still searching for it, planning to sell to who in the future.

We cannot even refine it for our own use.

WTF!!!

Back to topic no matter what is said using figures to try and confuse people the bill is fraudulent.

1 Like

Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Flairoqy(m): 8:06am On Aug 29, 2021
sparko1:

If someone comes to your house, sleep with your wife, marry all of your daughter, take your son as slave worker, and tells you he will pay you top dollar to use your land, money he got from your hardworking sons, and even tells you you will get a bigger share of the proceed from your farm!!!!

Do you need to learn how to read to understand that he's not just acting favourably to you, HE IS YOUR bleeping ENEMY! NOTHING ABOUT THIS CAN BE EXPLAINED!!!

You don't need to be intelligent to know, this is bleeping INSANE!

Nothing the NORTH ever does favor anyone else, but them, get it into your thick head, if this bill is passed I can assure you, slavery is the next on their agenda, except you are from the North, in which case get F out of here!
Did they literally did all that to you? Or you’re simply exaggerating and blowing everything out of proportion? There have never been a time south were enslaved by the north so far as my history taught me, so be specific.
In other words, if a region is marginalized by the lower IQ counterparts in all ramifications of the system, what is the best approach in such situation? Fight for your country? Systematically sabotage and take over the government? Protest? Your decisions define your ideology.
I’ve said it repeatedly power will never go to the south on a platter of gold, do your findings of other similar situations in other countries.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Okoroawusa: 8:08am On Aug 29, 2021
I no understand this write-up
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by paddyDIGITAL(m): 8:11am On Aug 29, 2021
Okuda:

did you read the post? there is a difference between robbery, injustice and satisfying needs.
My dear, even if the sharing was 50-50, our thieving politicians in the Niger Delta will still mismanage it. You and I will still remain the losers.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Flairoqy(m): 8:17am On Aug 29, 2021
Blakjewelry:

Nope you read but you lack reasoning power. Why not say 3% to oil producing states nationwide? You I bet you didn't realize that 30% has the potential to exceed the 3% to the oil producing states depending on how large the reserve is, and from the report, there is a huge deposit there.
First off, can you distinguish between operating expense revenue over exploration profits?
Start from the basics before the analysis B.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by ListerCompaq: 8:17am On Aug 29, 2021
Sirjamo:
Majority of those against the PIA have not read a single section of the act. They should answer these questions first:

1. If the 30% of NNPC running cost is to be used at the frontier basins, how much is the NNPC running cost and what is 30% of it?

2. Host communities will get their 3% from the oil exploration companies running costs, how many Companies do we have their and what is 3% of their running cost.

3. Critics say the 30% was a ploy to develop the north:

a. Are all the frontier basins in the north?

b. Can searching for oil be described as "Development"? ( Potential development might be correct).

c. If oil is discovered in the north, will the proceeds not increase the funds accrued to the federation account, to be shared by all states and FCT?

You are not getting the point here.
At present, the 3% running cost might be greater than the 30% profit of NNPC, with the signing of this bill NNPC will now run like a LTD liability company and will be profit oriented, which means profit will definitely increase. If the exploration of oil in the frontiers also becomes a success, profit also will definitely increase.the margin of increase in profit and that of running cost will not be the same.running cost will definitely increase also say by 60% and profit might be doubled. By the time you now use the 3% and 30% factor for the allocation of the funds, the latter might be much more bigger than the former.
Also, host communities will now include communities where you have pipelines according to this write up. Which means this will include states like Benue, plateau, Oyo, Lagos , south eastern states.

“The math aside, there is also the issue of attention to political sensitivities and restiveness. Why even legislate and sign into law a bill with stipulations that on the surface seem discriminatory and in reality could be? Why not broaden the stipulations so as to be region- and resource-neutral?

In any case, the discrepancy in percentage figures is but one issue. There is the question of the definition of host communities to include areas where pipelines run through. That would mean that the three per cent would be shared among many more communities beyond the locales of exploration and operations.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by tujays(m): 8:18am On Aug 29, 2021
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by tonyson010(m): 8:21am On Aug 29, 2021
jumper524:
So I finally took my time to read and research fully on this pub bill to know what the controversies is all about.
Here's 2 thing causing controversy.

Frontier Exploration Fund: 30 per cent of NNPC Limited profit×
They are asking of 30% of the funds to NNPC limited profit which is about $15billion yearly to explore other basin where oil is being discovered. Chad, benue, Niger and zamfara basin.
If you ask me, I'll say it's too much.

Host communities to get 3% of NNPC profit for community develop
development

that's about $1.9 billion to be shared amongst communities annually..
That's small if you ask me.

Now the real controversies is that the presidency is proposing 30% Frontier Exploration while the national assembly us proposing 10%. Seems like the president won on this.

Also for host communities southern senators are proposing 5% while northern senators are proposing 3%.
Innitially the bill suggested a 2.5%.

30% is obnoxiously too much, but politicians don't care since they are the once reaping from it ( through cut backs), reason the most southern senators didn't react.

Host communities definition is a big disgusting fraud......Go to Niger-Delta, cost of building a house there, agricultural are all very difficult due to oil exploration and topography of land. You can use the cost of building one house to roughly build two in other places. Hazards of oil explorations are numerous. Lived in Port Harcourt, and the air carries a lot of soot. Even as small as South-south is, many of their lands are now taken over for oil exploration. And Lawmakers have the mind to equate it to a pipeline that is not larger that 1meter in diameter and probably adjacent spaces less than 2meters.

Politics is so terrible in this country. It is our biggest problem

WHY GIVE 30% TO OIL EXPLORATION, WHEN FG ARE BORROWING LOTS OF MONEY to fund our padded budgets??

1 Like

Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by kponkedenge(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2021
tujays:
Sahara reporters are synonymous to fake news. now I get where you're getting your fake news from. thank you. I'm out. grin

You wouldn't know the truth, even if it slapped you in the face.

1 Like

Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by yinks77: 8:29am On Aug 29, 2021
They always try to justify how every new policy will benefit all on paper, but in reality its indeed a death trap and the south are always on the receiving end, particularly when the core north are in control of affairs. Examples of such scenario in the past include:
i) the taking over of missionary schools by the government. We all can imaging what the schools have become today;
ii) creation of states and particularly local governments, where core northern states are more favored at the expenses of their southern counterpart.
iii) is it when recruitment by the federal government is patterned to favor particularly the north, that is when they will claim those employed or appointed are the most qualified. We can go on and on non stop. The PIB is no exception but a deja vu.

1 Like

Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Badonasty(m): 8:35am On Aug 29, 2021
This is the most basic and layman explanation of the bill I’ve seen so far and it actually makes sense to me...people are just blinded by sentiments...that 30% is quite small considering the fact that nnpc hardly declare profits or if they do it’s not quite much so 30% out of that profit isn’t really much and not quite guaranteed sef....whereas the 3% is guaranteed so why the fuss about it ....and not all the frontiers are in the north so why the outcry
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by caracas: 8:37am On Aug 29, 2021
uBuNiT:
As a nigER delTA that I am, I prefer all these grammar to being with Igbos.
Make aboki fvck me all they want. I hate Igbos
This is why you guys are so useless
With all your so called oil you are still one of the poorest sets of ppl in Nigeria
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by obailala(m): 8:40am On Aug 29, 2021
chloride6:
Okay Kyari...

Take 3% for mining and give us 30% for host community..

End of discussion abi?

Mumu man..

"Take 3% for mining and give us 30% for host community"

This your above suggestion can best be described as the disastrous consequence of ignorance. You obviously havent read the report or just lack the capacity to understand it... This was how the white men of old cheated some of our illiterate African forefathers, who would always dive at 30% thinking it was bigger than 3%; they simply didnt have the wisdom to ask the valid question '30% of what?'

3% for host communities may be small, and 30% for frontier development may be too much; but definitely, when placing the outcome of both percentages side by side, 3% of the operating cost of oil companies has clearly always been larger than 30% of NNPC's profits. Hopefully you now see why your above suggestion will be a disaster?

cc: sunnnnyuu
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by uBuNiT: 8:44am On Aug 29, 2021
caracas:

This is why you guys are so useless
With all your so called oil you are still one of the poorest sets of ppl in Nigeria
Big fool you are. Your comprehension is zero.
Ok let me ask, which ND Sate/Town is as poor as yoruba land after Lagos which belong to all ?
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by barragan: 8:49am On Aug 29, 2021
What has Nigerdelta region done with the trillions of naira it has gotten over the years?

Why do they need more now?

How can the anger of a people be so misplaced?
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by UGAHAM(m): 8:57am On Aug 29, 2021
uBuNiT:
As a nigER delTA that I am, I prefer all these grammar to being with Igbos.
Make aboki fvck me all they want. I hate Igbos

U will wound ur self for hating they igbos because 94% of the igbos don’t care or no much abt d oil. Besides Abia and Imo have oil and Imo the 4 highest oil producing state in Nigeria yet the villagers don’t care or hang their hope of lively hold on oil. The are technocrats in their various fields and Business magnets, bonanzas in their biz area, un like SS that before they eat food the block company gate, beg for food and money, form cult group, father is a cultists, mother cultist, chiefs
cultist and children WAR. Many communities in SS are no longer in existence due to greedy so mr SS let’s tell our d through Igbo are not interested in ur oil and They don’t need children of doom as partner in a country. If I may ask what did Igbo man do to u? U relayed on a story ur failed father told u ask ur late father where he was when Igbos made money and buy ur backyard because that is ur reason of hating them. Check out I am not an Igbo man bro stop talking against d igbos they did nothing to u.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by obailala(m): 8:57am On Aug 29, 2021
Blakjewelry:

If oil is found in a new basin, then it's no longer a frontier basin for exploration, so the 30% thing ceases to apply.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by GardenOfGod(m): 9:02am On Aug 29, 2021
We are yet to look into that issue. When the appropriate time comes, you will be a living testimony to what Nigeria will turn into. Heads will roll.
Trumann:

How much of Zamfara's gold is remitted to the federal coffers?
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by GardenOfGod(m): 9:04am On Aug 29, 2021
Kdon2:

The idiots that are making noise were they not there when the bill was being passed? Did they raise objections.? We never hard of any except senator Dickson former bayelsa governor
That's the right question to ask. Where was he in the house when the bill was being deliberated upon?
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by UGAHAM(m): 9:08am On Aug 29, 2021
Tzar:
The North has NEVER been the problem of the South. Infact, Southern founding fathers begged the North into this useless 'independent' contraption, when the North insisted they were not ready for independence in the 50s. Instead of going their way, they literally begged the North!
Southerners are weak, greedy and stupid. Northerners know all they need to do is 'bribe' a few Southern politicians to get what they want. The Southern politicians know they only need to throw a few crumbs at a few Southern elders, youths and thugs to achieve the Northern agenda.
Sadly, this has been the fomula for Northern dominance in Nigeria. It will not end anytime soon, unless Southerners unite and face their real enemy... THE SOUTHERN GREEDY BETRAYERS!
HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE FACT THAT NIGER DELTAN LEGISLATORS AND EXECUTIVE MEMBERS SAT TO SEE THI ACT PASSED! No protest, lobbying, litigation, etc?!!! It is sad that the South is the South's problem!
Fact my brother let’s call a spade a spade, everyday SS man wake up if he didn’t say Igbo man buy his land, he will say Westerns full their oil company or Northern this and that. Very gullible bro u really defined a SS man character though few of them, many knows the truth and many works and good relationship with others. My problem is many don’t have village again cult war have sack many in their ancestral home.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by GardenOfGod(m): 9:09am On Aug 29, 2021
Blakjewelry:

That is not fix yet, you forget there is large deposit of untap oil in the Chad basin, the people that put that clause knows exactly what they are doing. If they want to be fair they would have said 3% to all oil producing states nationwide
But the clause is not indicated in the bill, that creates contention in many quarters.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by WhizdomXX(m): 9:35am On Aug 29, 2021
RealLordZeus:
To read is a problem to you guys

What they mean in simpler terms is
3% of 30,000 Is greater than 30% of 300
Where they are calculating the percentage also matters.

And coming from the punch, it sounds credible
If you understood well, you should know that the 300 can turn to 300,000 one day. As Profits on a good day can always surpasses operating costs.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by uBuNiT: 10:06am On Aug 29, 2021
THANK YOU
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by 9japride(m): 10:24am On Aug 29, 2021
Who is deceiving who? Watch out how nnpc will start declaring profit steadily from now on. Those in the corridors of power were ones guy men in their youth, so the funny games continues. Let's not worry ourselves on this matter since the south south are not complaining, I see it as a Christmas gift to the north.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by maak400: 10:27am On Aug 29, 2021
Tzar:
The North has NEVER been the problem of the South. Infact, Southern founding fathers begged the North into this useless 'independent' contraption, when the North insisted they were not ready for independence in the 50s. Instead of going their way, they literally begged the North!
Southerners are weak, greedy and stupid. Northerners know all they need to do is 'bribe' a few Southern politicians to get what they want. The Southern politicians know they only need to throw a few crumbs at a few Southern elders, youths and thugs to achieve the Northern agenda.
Sadly, this has been the fomula for Northern dominance in Nigeria. It will not end anytime soon, unless Southerners unite and face their real enemy... THE SOUTHERN GREEDY BETRAYERS!
HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE FACT THAT NIGER DELTAN LEGISLATORS AND EXECUTIVE MEMBERS SAT TO SEE THI ACT PASSED! No protest, lobbying, litigation, etc?!!! It is sad that the South is the South's problem!
God bless you abundantly!
The north is not the problem, the greedy and selfish southern leaders and politicians are the real problem, they are always ready to sell out the south for crumbs. The Fulanization and islamization agenda to conquer the south is upon us, the southern leaders are aiding and abetting it because they are profiting from the corruption in Nigeria. The south is already conquered, and Taliban style government is what the Fulani caliphate will unleash upon us.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 29, 2021
jumper524:
So I finally took my time to read and research fully on this pub bill to know what the controversies is all about.
Here's 2 thing causing controversy.

Frontier Exploration Fund: 30 per cent of NNPC Limited profit×
They are asking of 30% of the funds to NNPC limited profit which is about $15billion yearly to explore other basin where oil is being discovered. Chad, benue, Niger and zamfara basin.
If you ask me, I'll say it's too much.

Host communities to get 3% of NNPC profit for community develop
development

that's about $1.9 billion to be shared amongst communities annually..
That's small if you ask me.

Now the real controversies is that the presidency is proposing 30% Frontier Exploration while the national assembly us proposing 10%. Seems like the president won on this.

Also for host communities southern senators are proposing 5% while northern senators are proposing 3%.
Innitially the bill suggested a 2.5%.

You are not correct. Stop spreading misinformation

1. There is no where in the pib that says 30% of nnpc profit will be given to frontier base communities and their is no definition of what is frontier bases in the PIb, you mischievously added only northern frontier base while excluding frontier base from the south.

The bills says that 30 per cent of the profits of the “unbundled” Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, will be dedicated to the exploration of “frontier” basins. Ogun, lagos, Anambra, lake chad etc are all included.

2. Host communities are not going to get 3% of nnpc profit, they are getting 3% from oil companies in their area, lets not forget they are also getting the 13 percent of oil revenue from the state government. What has changed in those area?? Nothing

4 The presidency proposed 30% for frontial basins and 10% for communities in the bill, the national assembly changed it to 3%, now you are accusing northern senator of changing the bill

Stop being mischievous and try to read the bill.

2 Likes

Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Odidigboigbo(m): 10:51am On Aug 29, 2021
Esseite:

The SS had overwhelming support. alongside, the uproar the issue generated could have been latched on to withdraw the bill..

But you cant cry more than the bereaved..
There is no SS lawmakers that supported the bill with the exception of Omo-Agege, due to his personal interest as a DSP after collecting fat envelop. We Deltans are waiting for him, at the right time, we shall settle his case.
Re: PIA: When 3% Is Greater Than 30% by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 29, 2021
Blakjewelry:

I want to explain something for you.

30% is meant for oil exploration in frontier base, now, imagine if oil is found in that frontier area and a oil company decide to invest, the oil company will give 3% of their revenue to the community development fund, guess who the fund will go to, the state government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bandits Kill Soldiers, Kidnap Motorists In Zamfara / Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up / Amaechi Refuses To Set Up Transition Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.