Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? (40031 Views)

Stop Eating Placenta After Childbirth, Experts Warn New Mothers / Medical Doctor In Police Net Over Placenta / Burning/Burying Of Placenta: Right Or Wrong Action? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by AutoChick4U(f): 11:00am On Aug 30, 2021
Threw it away same day abeg.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by drmuchin: 12:50pm On Aug 30, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Still got my baby's placenta, forgot about it sef. Don't know what to do with it

How did u preserve it?
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by glowshine(f): 1:05pm On Aug 30, 2021
Very good question. I've been asking my husband the same question. I'm almost due for delivery and Ive been asking him about how we're going to dispose it.
@poster, Its something that must never get into the wrong hands especially in this part of the world where some unscrupulous elements are trying to get rich quick.

29 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by MufasaLion: 1:08pm On Aug 30, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Still got my baby's placenta, forgot about it sef. Don't know what to do with it

Why?
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by MufasaLion: 1:09pm On Aug 30, 2021
glowshine:
Very good question. I've been asking my husband the same question. I'm almost due for delivery and Ive been asking him about how we're going to dispose it.
@poster, Its something that must never get into the wrong hands especially in this part of the world where some unscrupulous elements are trying to get rich quick.

Well, you think they can use it for something bad?

Don't believe in shit like that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by AutoChick4U(f): 2:54pm On Aug 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

Why?
Wow, do you know I actually was thinking about that navel dropping. Lola

Placenta is even d baby sack, omo I threw it away inside bush ooo.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by AutoChick4U(f): 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2021
drmuchin:

How did u preserve it?
Sorry I thought its baby's placenta cord. Threw it away same day oo
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by MufasaLion: 2:58pm On Aug 30, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Wow, do you know I actually was thinking about that navel dropping. Lola

Placenta is even d baby sack, omo I threw it away inside bush ooo.

LMAO grin grin grin

So why do people make it sound like such a big deal when a baby is born?
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:00pm On Aug 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

LMAO grin grin grin

So why do people make it sound like such a big deal when a baby is born?
Maybe for d married ones sha. I flung it deep inside bush abeg
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by MufasaLion: 3:03pm On Aug 30, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Maybe for d married ones sha. I flung it deep inside bush abeg

That's good!

Growing up, I used to hear people say "A child must not know where the placenta was buried."

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:06pm On Aug 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

That's good!

Growing up, I used to hear people say "A child must not know where the placenta was buried."
Superstitions. Me wey no know where my own dey shey I get billions?

20 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by MufasaLion: 3:14pm On Aug 30, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Superstitions. Me wey no know where my own dey shey I get billions?

grin grin grin

Exactly! Over the years, I've really hated anything superstition.

7 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by AutoChick4U(f): 3:42pm On Aug 30, 2021
MufasaLion:

grin grin grin

Exactly! Over the years, I've really hated anything superstition.
Keep it up

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by expert1(m): 3:42pm On Aug 30, 2021
glowshine:

Many people have that fears that if it get into a wrong hand, something wrong might happen later (Some believe it is superstitious ).
Some even believe it must be the husband that must take care of it.
For example some usually use a slang in the Yoruba land that "Aja je ibi omo e" which means "A promiscuous lady's placenta is probably eaten by a dog".

However, I remember a friend told me he threw one placenta into the river when his wife gave birth to her second child as he can't pass through the tedious task of finding where to bury the first one grin

He also said he can't tell his wife the situation as he don't know how the wife will take the matter maybe lightly or not.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by yuping(m): 10:22pm On Aug 30, 2021
Elders on nairaland are sleeping no concrete answer yet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Victoria938(f): 11:19pm On Aug 30, 2021
Put it inside pit toilet

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by cococandy(f): 3:30am On Aug 31, 2021
If the hospital offers to, just let them take care of it. It’s medical waste/biohazard and one less thing for you to worry about.

11 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by expert1(m): 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2021
Victoria938:
Put it inside pit toilet

I think suggestion is safe too.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by expert1(m): 12:53pm On Aug 31, 2021
cococandy:
If the hospital offers to, just let them take care of it. It’s medical waste/biohazard and one less thing for you to worry about.

I think this is the correct word "Medical Waste".

That is what it should be. Instead of us stressing our brains on what to do with it.

I remember for my first time. I told my mum and she told me to go get a small pot called "ikoko agbe'bi" which means "Pot for Placenta".

After getting the pot she asked me to rub the inner part of the pot with red oil (I guess that signifies calmness) before putting the Placenta then to bury it afterwards.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by cococandy(f): 1:07pm On Aug 31, 2021
expert1:

I think this is the correct word "Medical Waste".

That is what it should be. Instead of us stressing our brains on what to do with it.

I remember for my first time. I told my mum and she told me to go get a small pot called "ikoko agbe'bi" which means "Pot for Placenta".

After getting the pot she asked me to rub the inner part of the pot with red oil (I guess that signifies calmness) before putting the Placenta then to bury it afterwards.

Yep you got it.
It is indeed the official medical term for it. Anything we remove from the human body (surgically, after birth, poop, urine, body parts etc) is considered biohazard because it can be a source of infection to another person if not disposed of properly.

But it’s true that people do have traditions surrounding the placenta. I don’t have anything against those. Most of them are really just symbolic anyway . If they insist on dealing with it their traditional way, all they need is a little bit of education on how to help prevent spreading diseases and infections. I would only just advice those who are confused and don’t know how to handle it to leave it to the medical professionals.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by expert1(m): 3:09pm On Sep 01, 2021
efficiencie:

Take it, burn it to ashes, issue some commands to the ashes and bury it in a location no one knows...

This suggestion is ideal and very reasonable too.

I think once it is burnt, you don't need to stress in burying it again. you can flush the burnt elements. wink

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by efficiencie(m): 3:36pm On Sep 01, 2021
expert1:

This suggestion is ideal and very reasonable too.

I think once it is burnt, you don't need to stress in burying it again. you can flush the burnt elements. wink

That's a better arrangement sef...in this fetish world of ours you don't want anyone having access to your baby's placenta!

8 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Nkemella: 6:00pm On Sep 01, 2021
You can flush it in the toilet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by MARKone(m): 6:33pm On Sep 01, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Threw it away same day abeg.

Placenta is not something you throw away just like that, I hope you know, and coming from a female I'm surprised with this your post.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by expert1(m): 6:51pm On Sep 01, 2021
MARKone:

Placenta is not something you throw away just like that, I hope you know, and coming from a female I'm surprised with this your post.

@MARKone do you have a suggestion for her on how to dispose it appropriately?
Do you know the best way to handle such?

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by MARKone(m): 7:00pm On Sep 01, 2021
expert1:

@MARKone do you have a suggestion for her on how to dispose it appropriately?
Do you know the best way to handle such?

My kids own, I burnt them, though, it's somehow difficult to burn, I burn and buried them. Another good way is to cut in pieces and flush down the toilet.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by AutoChick4U(f): 9:13am On Sep 02, 2021
MARKone:

Well, I did.
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by GboyegaD(m): 7:31pm On Sep 02, 2021
I guess the hospitals have a way of disposing it.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Mpcoll001: 11:49pm On Sep 02, 2021
The best option is to flush it down the sewage if you are living in urban area...I don't think there's anything attache to it.

8 Likes

Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by expert1(m): 4:36pm On Sep 07, 2021
Independentgbol:

Very easy.... Just give it to the dogs.. they'd help you clean the mess in seconds
cool
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Sonnobax15(m): 3:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
angry
Re: What Do You Do With The Placenta After Baby Delivery? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 10, 2021
When I start giving birth

I think I'll dispose it in soak away or pit latrine

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Vaginal Tear Or Cut During Childbirth / Ladies With Protruding Bellies. / Nigerian Man, Efosa Silas Sick at UAE Hospital, Who Knows The Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.