Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? (38848 Views)

Why Is Bikes Often Referred To As Bicycles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by moscobabs(m): 12:11pm On Sep 01, 2021
angry
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Flamees(m): 12:11pm On Sep 01, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by akin9ja78(m): 12:11pm On Sep 01, 2021
Very simple He dont multiply, She does
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by SilkyKolaSyrup(f): 12:11pm On Sep 01, 2021
Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 01, 2021
Because she is Buhari...
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Antoeni(m): 12:14pm On Sep 01, 2021
Maybe They related to Bobrisky
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Dazall: 12:17pm On Sep 01, 2021
It is because other countries can also emergence/breakaway from it
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by BinamRex: 12:19pm On Sep 01, 2021
And men haven't made any attempt to change it. If a masculine pronoun is used for anything, women will call it sexist.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Tamedo101(m): 12:20pm On Sep 01, 2021
BeeBeeOoh:
That's not the bone of contention here, 'who gives the birth'.

Good morning
NJH
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by hermmzy: 12:21pm On Sep 01, 2021
Nigeria is a he in a she form just like Bobrisky trying to claim she by force. grin grin
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by deeva2: 12:27pm On Sep 01, 2021
I THINKS ITS because A COUNTRY WAS REPRODUCED, CREATED OR GIVEN BIRTH TO WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY REPRODUCE ANOTHER

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by opribo(m): 12:28pm On Sep 01, 2021
I think is because men are always f4cking her up.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Flamezreal(m): 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2021
bukatyne:

Non living things are assigned gendered pronouns according to the major characteristics.

It was never considered 'sexist/misogynist' until recently.

So some feminine non-living words because of their ability to reproduce, multiply, create, balance, stability, elegance, support life etc. are:
1. Earth - Mother Earth (this can also refer to the soil because it aids growth/life)
2. Country
3. Motherland (also referencing country)
4. Nature
5. Ship/boat/cars/vehicles - perhaps because men owned them more initially and treated them like lovers? undecided
6. Liberty/Freedom ( the Legal symbol of justice is female lady justice)
7. Luck - Lady Luck
8. Ocean/Sea
9. Life
10. Moon
11. Language (Mother tongue) etc.

Male non-living words are for strength; fieriness; power etc.
1. Death (the grim reaper is a wizard)
2. Time
3. Sun (somewhere said the Sun is giving {masculine} while the earth {absorbing} and the moon {reflecting} are feminine cool etc.

Well (unfortunately or not grin) men do not get many inanimate objected gendered after them.
Excellent!
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by FutureIsFemale(f): 12:31pm On Sep 01, 2021
Biglittlelois:
This has always crossed my mind most times, and I always come up blank, even the all knowing Google always bring up unsatisfactory answers(to me anyway) so i decided to bring it here for more discussions, suggestions, and answers

Why are countries referred to as "she" and not "he"?
Anything that produces is a SHE.

The FUTURE is FEMALE

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by JBoss25(m): 12:31pm On Sep 01, 2021
sunshineV:
because the future is female
no it's not
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by GeneralPula: 12:33pm On Sep 01, 2021
Because the intention of people who created the name is to keep fuccking every countries..

Example like the whites are fuccking the black South Africans in their home land..
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Dunamai86(m): 12:33pm On Sep 01, 2021
Nigeria is an exception with the way it is presently constituted. May be a "She-im" or a "Sheem" or a "Shim" will be appropriate.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Princeton92(m): 12:33pm On Sep 01, 2021
Because she consists of people, communities and ethnic groups etc

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Vianzy: 12:34pm On Sep 01, 2021
Biglittlelois:
This has always crossed my mind most times, and I always come up blank, even the all knowing Google always bring up unsatisfactory answers(to me anyway) so i decided to bring it here for more discussions, suggestions, and answers

Why are countries referred to as "she" and not "he"?
shiitt
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Joniph(m): 12:34pm On Sep 01, 2021
Most countries are referred to as she or her or in any female form because the concept of motherhood is attached to the country. This could be due to two factors (that I can think of at the moment): A country is one's place of birth and the idea of birth is directly linked to motherhood for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by SeyiDominion: 12:35pm On Sep 01, 2021
Because a coutry is more of motherland

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Nwoge1: 12:41pm On Sep 01, 2021
Language is arbitary. English is not an exception.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by BigBashiru: 12:43pm On Sep 01, 2021
Nackdemall:
cheesy Because the world belongs to Women grin grin

Women makes things happen grin grin grin
The world revolves around the women cool

well said.... even guys are focused on pleasing women!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 01, 2021

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Juanmike(m): 12:49pm On Sep 01, 2021
And why is an aeroplane referred to as her.
Pls am still finding it hard to download my Power ppa letter. Someone help
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by abbeyty90: 12:54pm On Sep 01, 2021
Not incase of Nigeria. Nigeria is she-male not she, ask bobo risky if you are confused
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Eviana(f): 12:54pm On Sep 01, 2021
viyon02:
Just like a love of mother to a child, so we expect a country to love and care for her citizens..,..... Therefore we normally use "she" e,g US citizens enjoy mother like love from the country so it is ideal we use "she" for US. The only exception we have is Nigeria, please don't ask me why.

Well written...
I was gonna ask, but I saw the bolded, so "nevermind" lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Babastrong(m): 12:54pm On Sep 01, 2021
The same reason why God is always refer to as HE.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Eviana(f): 12:55pm On Sep 01, 2021
Liking "some" of these answers a whole lot.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Seniorwriter(m): 12:56pm On Sep 01, 2021
Oppy2k2:
If Nigeria is a profession, na oloso or beggar she go be.
You are very unpatriotically not serious....Lolz

@SENIORWRITER

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

18-Year-Old Boy Suspended After Proposing To His Teen Girlfriend In School In SA / Seyi Makinde Renames University After Ajimobi (Photos) / Final Year Student Of Michael Okpara University Killed In Accident In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.