Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,010 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? (38823 Views)

Why Is Bikes Often Referred To As Bicycles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Lightorder: 12:56pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

We use the pronoun “she” for calling a country because it is our homeland . Usually, a mother is the one at home and the father is at work(doesn't apply now, but still relatable). It is now sexist, but it didn't used to be. We call a country “she” because we are from there, like you are from your mom. And she keeps reproducing.
you are intelligent. God bless you sir
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Aduroja123(m): 12:58pm On Sep 01, 2021
Immatex:

Nations and countries multiple and grow. They reproduce future generations and so are fittingly classified in the feminine.

20,000 EJIKEM for you guy grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2021
Because all countries are lesbians grin
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by jacoik(m): 1:21pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

We use the pronoun “she” for calling a country because it is our homeland . Usually, a mother is the one at home and the father is at work(doesn't apply now, but still relatable). It is now sexist, but it didn't used to be. We call a country “she” because we are from there, like you are from your mom. And she keeps reproducing.
great answer there my man

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by ejimatic: 1:22pm On Sep 01, 2021
Biglittlelois:
This has always crossed my mind most times, and I always come up blank, even the all knowing Google always bring up unsatisfactory answers(to me anyway) so i decided to bring it here for more discussions, suggestions, and answers

Why are countries referred to as "she" and not "he"?
. He is for Male. She is for Female IT is for a thing and a babiy whose sex is still unknown She is also used for a female animal to show its gender ....a she-goat etc. A country is repalced by IT but it can also be described as SHE to show some emotional meaning and personifying effect like a mother who has many children. Association. Clubs societies can be used in the same way too.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Cinema4d: 1:23pm On Sep 01, 2021
Lightorder:
you are intelligent. God bless you sir
Thanks boss. We learn everyday.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Cinema4d: 1:26pm On Sep 01, 2021
jacoik:
great answer there my man
Thanks boss. Learning never ends
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Analyst7: 1:27pm On Sep 01, 2021
Lol as men no dey reason this issue if it was opposite one gender for Don make am their headache dey shout like crow

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Germi9: 1:34pm On Sep 01, 2021
The womans body bears and carries things such as children,so also a Ship and a country are known as she because they accommodate people inside of them just like a woman does.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by realray(m): 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2021
because it's what feed us, shelter, cloth us, protect and also it's what we represents that's why we say our motherland because it is what sustained us.....BUT GOD ALMIGHTY IS THE GREATEST AND HE ALONE CREATED ALL THINGS!!!!
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by JordanMichael(m): 1:39pm On Sep 01, 2021
grin grin
viyon02:
Just like a love of mother to a child, so we expect a country to love and care for her citizens..,..... Therefore we normally use "she" e,g US citizens enjoy mother like love from the country so it is ideal we use "she" for US. The only exception we have is Nigeria, please don't ask me why.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by yahmohy27: 1:45pm On Sep 01, 2021
BeeBeeOoh:
That's not the bone of contention here, 'who gives the birth'.

Good morning
And that's how they Fail simple QUESTIONS in their exams. Thanks jare
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Originalsly: 1:51pm On Sep 01, 2021
Hmmm.... interesting!... never thought of it and must say I doubt Google could've explained better. @ Butayne .... my thoughts ran to why ships are referred to as "she" ..... your opinion makes a whole lot of sense!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 01, 2021
The name "SHE" as a representative noun for a country came to be because all countries of the world makes up the natural atmosphere...and this is why even the universe is often described as "mother nature". Ever heard of father nature before?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 01, 2021
Because the universe that encompasses the entire countries of the world has since been addressed as "Mother nature"

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by victorazy(m): 2:18pm On Sep 01, 2021
BeeBeeOoh:
Because, he doesn't give birth but she gives birth.

A country is a she because its citizens gives birth always which results to increase in population.

Same is with school because it gives birth when people gains admission or registers into it.

Why is man can be referred as impotent?
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Calicoe: 2:41pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

If that's the actual reason, it doesn't make any sense
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by enemyofprogress: 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2021
It is because countries burn citizens
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Cinema4d: 2:45pm On Sep 01, 2021
Calicoe:

If that's the actual reason, it doesn't make any sense
I never said it was the actual reason. Perhaps, you can give an explanation that makes sense. I'm open to learn

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Akuruoulo(m): 2:54pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

Ur answer is super wrong.
We are from sperm and it's of a man
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Akuruoulo(m): 2:55pm On Sep 01, 2021
Immatex:

Nations and countries multiple and grow. They reproduce future generations and so are fittingly classified in the feminine.

U are on point

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Akuruoulo(m): 2:58pm On Sep 01, 2021
viyon02:
Just like a love of mother to a child, so we expect a country to love and care for her citizens..,..... Therefore we normally use "she" e,g US citizens enjoy mother like love from the country so it is ideal we use "she" for US. The only exception we have is Nigeria, please don't ask me why.
Shut up there .
Fathers no the love ?
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by gazza07(m): 2:58pm On Sep 01, 2021
B'cos no one dies a virgin, life fvcks us all in our different countries. Hence "she"
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Cinema4d: 3:18pm On Sep 01, 2021
Akuruoulo:

Ur answer is super wrong.
We are from sperm and it's of a man
grin grin grin you're very correct. We have the seed buh women are the soil. Where will the seed germinate? Inside us? It has to be the soil; which is women!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by millionboi(m): 3:28pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

u said it all
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Akuruoulo(m): 3:30pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

grin grin grin you're very correct. We have the seed buh women are the soil. Where will the seed germinate? Inside us? It has to be the soil; which is women!
Still super wrong
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by 0neal(m): 3:39pm On Sep 01, 2021
bukatyne:

Non living things are assigned gendered pronouns according to the major characteristics.

It was never considered 'sexist/misogynist' until recently.

So some feminine non-living words because of their ability to reproduce, multiply, create, balance, stability, elegance, support life etc. are:
1. Earth - Mother Earth (this can also refer to the soil because it aids growth/life)
2. Country
3. Motherland (also referencing country)
4. Nature
5. Ship/boat/cars/vehicles - perhaps because men owned them more initially and treated them like lovers? undecided
6. Liberty/Freedom ( the Legal symbol of justice is female lady justice)
7. Luck - Lady Luck
8. Ocean/Sea
9. Life
10. Moon
11. Language (Mother tongue) etc.

Male non-living words are for strength; fieriness; power etc.
1. Death (the grim reaper is a wizard)
2. Time
3. Sun (somewhere said the Sun is giving {masculine} while the earth {absorbing} and the moon {reflecting} are feminine cool etc.

Well (unfortunately or not grin) men do not get many inanimate objected gendered after them.

4. Culture
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Calicoe: 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

I never said it was the actual reason. Perhaps, you can give an explanation that makes sense. I'm open to learn
I've really done some research because of this and I've been able to know that it is mostly use in English language and that is because countries are created from existing countries. So they liken it to the same way a mother or female gives birth to younger ones. Arab nations, Asians and some other countries don't refer a country as she /her

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Cinema4d: 3:49pm On Sep 01, 2021
Calicoe:

I've really done some research because of this and I've been able to know that it is mostly use in English language and that is because countries are created from existing countries. So they liken it to the same way a mother or female gives birth to younger ones. Arab nations, Asians and some other countries don't refer a country as she /her
Yep even germany. It all still boils down to the fact that something birth something. Just like a mother.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by TeeGentle(m): 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Emmiemoni4u2(m): 4:23pm On Sep 01, 2021
Correction! 'people gain' not people gains please use a singular verb on a plural noun pls pls. Because, he doesn't give birth but she gives birth.

A country is a she because its citizens gives birth always which results to increase in population.

Same is with school because it gives birth when people gains admission or registers into it.[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Sister Just Bagged Her Ph.d From OAU Am So Happy (pictures). / Saidat Sanni Is LAUTECH Best Student With 4.88 Cgp(pic / Top 15 Lucrative Courses Jambites Should Select In 2017.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.