Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,192 members, 7,807,646 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? (38832 Views)

Why Is Bikes Often Referred To As Bicycles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by viyon02: 4:30pm On Sep 01, 2021
Akuruoulo:

Shut up there .
Fathers no the love ?
l guess you are semi literate, and total functionality of your celebrum has totally degenerated to that of a goat: am I the veryone who formulate English language or are my ancestors British? It is just way of speaking English.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by bluefilm: 4:50pm On Sep 01, 2021
Biglittlelois:
This has always crossed my mind most times, and I always come up blank, even the all knowing Google always bring up unsatisfactory answers(to me anyway) so i decided to bring it here for more discussions, suggestions, and answers

Why are countries referred to as "she" and not "he"?

That might be only in English.

In French for example, countries can be referred to as either Masculine or Feminine.

For instance, France is La France in French which is feminine and Mexico is Le Mexique in French which is masculine.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by rickleye: 5:12pm On Sep 01, 2021
Very soon- A LGTBQNT will sue the English Language and demand that countries be called " They" but to answer your questions. A country is birthed, created ... all known to the female gender .
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by lawalmovichhhh: 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2021
so wetin dem go kon call wey be ....HE....sperm dey waste naa
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Abujakenneth: 6:00pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d I don't think it's because it is our home. The reason being that while you are not from USA you can refer to USA as she when making a report of her.post=105362359:

We use the pronoun “she” for calling a country because it is our homeland . Usually, a mother is the one at home and the father is at work(doesn't apply now, but still relatable). It is now sexist, but it didn't used to be. We call a country “she” because we are from there, like you are from your mom. And she keeps reproducing.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by effido666: 6:00pm On Sep 01, 2021
Why is it also applicable to ships....... shocked ?
Cinema4d:

We use the pronoun “she” for calling a country because it is our homeland . Usually, a mother is the one at home and the father is at work(doesn't apply now, but still relatable). It is now sexist, but it didn't used to be. We call a country “she” because we are from there, like you are from your mom. And she keeps reproducing.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Abujakenneth: 6:03pm On Sep 01, 2021
Trees and animals also multiple and grow yet they are not referred to as she in singular.
Immatex:

Nations and countries multiple and grow. They reproduce future generations and so are fittingly classified in the feminine.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Neddyogu(m): 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2021
Generally speaking, anything that has people in it is addressed in the feminine. Eg Organisations, families, vehicles, ships, etc

1 Like

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Akuruoulo(m): 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2021
viyon02:
l guess you are semi literate, and total functionality of your celebrum has totally degenerated to that of a goat: am I the veryone who formulate English language or are my ancestors British? It is just way of speaking English.
U just ended up spewing trash

Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by waky15(m): 7:51pm On Sep 01, 2021
We use "she" for our country because it's dear and precious to us.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Gfskw: 8:41pm On Sep 01, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Deekpo: 8:50pm On Sep 01, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by mctons: 9:03pm On Sep 01, 2021
Freestainworld:
Who makes the woman to give birth?

Na Bubu or Lai
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by trumpcoat(m): 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2021
Anything that harbors people is regarded as she because it takes the quality of a woman,eg church, country,state,town, school etc
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by femolii: 9:18pm On Sep 01, 2021
Cinema4d:

Can female produced without male ?
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Fortune118005(m): 12:43am On Sep 02, 2021
Biglittlelois:
This has always crossed my mind most times, and I always come up blank, even the all knowing Google always bring up unsatisfactory answers(to me anyway) so i decided to bring it here for more discussions, suggestions, and answers

That's the work of personification bro
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Oyiboman69: 8:21am On Sep 02, 2021
The pronoun itself 'she' does not necessarily indicate gender, even though culturally "she" tends to be associated with women (and many people find pronouns to be an important affirmation of identity)
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by VicM6: 10:20pm On Sep 02, 2021
bcus na women be the wahala of every nation.... the future is female na...... i don tire o.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by DonroxyII: 5:35am On Jan 10, 2022
Biglittlelois:

Earth is a Wo-Man because birthed all of us on God !

A Nation is a Mother by which all Citizens/Residents therein Unified.

Many women don't even know their worth nor role. You Lose Guard, you will be taken advantage of. Same goes to Men.

We ain't suppose Fight but complement one another.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Karlifate: 9:57pm On Dec 29, 2023
bukatyne:

Non living things are assigned gendered pronouns according to the major characteristics.

It was never considered 'sexist/misogynist' until recently.

So some feminine non-living words because of their ability to reproduce, multiply, create, balance, stability, elegance, support life etc. are:
1. Earth - Mother Earth (this can also refer to the soil because it aids growth/life)
2. Country
3. Motherland (also referencing country)
4. Nature
5. Ship/boat/cars/vehicles - perhaps because men owned them more initially and treated them like lovers? undecided
6. Liberty/Freedom ( the Legal symbol of justice is female lady justice)
7. Luck - Lady Luck
8. Ocean/Sea
9. Life
10. Moon
11. Language (Mother tongue) etc.

Male non-living words are for strength; fieriness; power etc.
1. Death (the grim reaper is a wizard)
2. Time
3. Sun (somewhere said the Sun is giving {masculine} while the earth {absorbing} and the moon {reflecting} are feminine cool etc.

Well (unfortunately or not grin) men do not get many inanimate objected gendered after them.

cheesy
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Biglittlelois(f): 2:00pm On Jan 18
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by greatness22(m): 2:47pm On Jan 18
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by Biglittlelois(f): 3:10pm On Jan 18
greatness22:
??

A mistake.
Re: Why Are Countries Referred To As "She"? by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 10:01pm On Feb 04
Biglittlelois:

Countries of the world represents the human existence that is to reproduce and multiply, the creature that have abilities to reproduce both in human and animals are she or her(Female) since the country comprises of people's existence, it's therefore represent she/her because it keeps producing human more than they die.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saidat Sanni Is LAUTECH Best Student With 4.88 Cgp(pic / Top 15 Lucrative Courses Jambites Should Select In 2017. / The Nigerian University With The Most Corrupt Lecturers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.