Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Catfish Farming: My Story - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming: My Story (203148 Views)

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Re: Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 11, 2012
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by efe22(m): 7:52pm On Feb 11, 2012
@ayosat
Please check your inbox as I have responded.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 3:15am On Feb 12, 2012
ayosat:

@ Fhemmmy. Sorry 4 d delay in replying. I've been busy. Lutha actually have said it all. We have fries(3 wks old), fingelings(6 wks old), post fingerlings(7-8 wks old), juvenile(8-9 wks old), then jumbo(9-10wks old) it lesser time to sell if u stock juvenile or jumbo. But there risk to this as well, so u really need to watch out. I don't deal in jumbo.

Could you please list the risk involved, will really appreciate if you could do that, and if there are ways to eliminate such risk . . . .
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by cole2008: 2:11pm On Feb 15, 2012
please contact me i want to start a fishing business i dont know is profitable like this
plesae contact me brucecole2008@yahoo.com
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by efe22(m): 8:16am On Feb 16, 2012
When feeding catfish small or big, is it right to spread the feed entirely in the pond or just put it in a single spot so all the fish come there to feed?. A fish farmer gave me this trick but how true is this?.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 6:51pm On Feb 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Could you please list the risk involved, will really appreciate if you could do that, and if there are ways to eliminate such risk . . . .
would have reply sooner but my phone went bad. I'm just managing it till i get a beta phone. Why i said u should be careful is just because majority of d good fish would have been sold at fingerlings and post fingerlings. So i believe those jumbo might be d runts left, which have grown a bit. So i advice people going 4 juveniles and jumbo to buy 4rm reliable source.

2 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Donarozzi: 7:24am On Feb 29, 2012
wow, nice
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by aquatic1(m): 2:46pm On Mar 01, 2012
Thanks all for your comment, you made a nice contribution, some said well, and some are just typing for posting sake. Firstly, thanks to those that have requested for the formula, MRS emma from PH, engr tunde from ijb, mr diran from ikorodu, who came to my farm to check because of this story, and since then we have being doing business together, e.t.c. Please Nigerian, don't say it can happen, stop being a doubting thomas, there is nothing that can happen, I was think my hatchery vat is the best until I went to one of my customer farm who came to buy fish from me when he's out of stock, I saw is small hatchery and he told me what he gets from the small hatchery which I saw the fish myself, I marvel, if I didn't check myself, I would have say it can't work, what fish need is space and water with food, if you can do all that, u are good to go, the market women who came to buy the fish said, they can't believe they are four months fishes. I believe myself. I receive a lot of calls about the formula, I once remember when I receive about 12 alert on my phone, each alert is 5000, and after I give them the formula, they later send me prayer, am not trying to be boosting, but am just trying to convince you that it can work, and anybody I consult for that enjoy me. A guy said here, that u will feed 200fishes with 120k to 140k, if you feed with that, how much are you selling each, and how much is your gain. Please NIGERIANS wake up from your slumber. If its oyinbo that post this now, you will all be happy, and said oyinbo are too much, do you think we blacks can't do it too, we can, that's if you that you are reading stop saying bad thing, and find away to contribute to nigeria growth, check my blog where I talk about using methionine for fast growth of fingerlings, nobody knows that in nigeria I guess, because I haven't heard it, will you say its a lie, its working, why don't you try it. Till today I still feed my fish two times a day, and I get the best result that when am feeding them 3times. For more info call 08053018934 or email araratnigeria@gmail.com. Our blog www.araratnigeria..com.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Fhemmmy: 4:18pm On Mar 01, 2012
^^^ Interesting.
I will advice that you add some pictures here of when you stock the fingerlins and what they look like after 4 months as you claim . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 6:53pm On Mar 08, 2012
some people just come and tell us cock and bull stories on this forum, just to sell their products.
also, most feeds has methionine in their formulation.
send us pix of when u stock and when they 're 4months.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by davidzfarm(m): 3:00pm On Mar 23, 2012
I'M DEEPLY ENCOURAGED BY NI WHO ARE WILLING TO SHARE KNOWLEDGE AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE WELL BEING OF OTHERS. PLS NOTE THAT YOUR FRIEND/ NEIGBOUR OR ASSOCIATES SUCCESS IS NOT THE REASON YOU ARE NOT SUCCEEDING. THE SKY IS BIG ENOUGH FOR ALL TO FLY. WHEN THE BIBLE TALKS ABOUT GIVING, ITS NOT LIMITED TO MONEY ALONE, AS YOU SHARE YOU DISCOVERIES ON NL, GOD WILL GIVE YOU MORE IDEAS TO GENERATE MORE INCOME,THATS THE WAY IT WORKS, SEED TIME AND HARVEST.
WITH THREADS LIKE THIS, WE CAN CREATE A NEW NIGERIA OF OUR DREAM. GOD BLESS ALL THE CONTRIBUTORS.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by rabzy: 10:35am On Apr 13, 2012
Fhemmmy: ^^^ Interesting.
I will advice that you add some pictures here of when you stock the fingerlins and what they look like after 4 months as you claim . . . . .

Hello Fhemmmy,

i tried contacting you through the yahoomail but i did not get any reply. How are things with you. I have started my farm and i just sold some post fingerlings two days ago, i have just about 5000 pcs left. I was hoping to check out your farm and see how things run there.
i am currently using our backyard, so am thinking of getting a bigger place to raise table size fish. Can you please contact me so that we can talk about it.

As per the guy that created this topic, i have been to his farm some 8 months ago, so he actually has a farm. He explained to me that he feeds them with coppens until they are like post fingerlings size and then he feeds them with his formular which he claims to have arrived at after a couple of trials. I have met him face-to-face, he seems very sincere and he showed me the fishes he has raised for 4 months with the feeds and they were quite big like 1.2kg size, and i gave him the benefit of doubt and i bought the formular. But i have not used the formular because i have not started raising table sizes.

Bu i intend to raise 40 out of my stock to table size using his formular till around july and see what i will get.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Abana1: 1:22am On Apr 19, 2012
You must be a magician to av used 70k for 1000 fishes for 4months and again,u said u made over 450k when d harvest came....
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Abana1: 1:27am On Apr 19, 2012
@rabzy...how much did u buy d formular?buh to be sincere,if the formula can give out 1.2k in 4months,that's some serious shit

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by gowaga68: 1:30pm On Apr 19, 2012
Formular or no formular when u use the right method you'll get there.ararat keep it up.post some pics too. On jumbo size i agree with the contributor that says know the source.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by transponder: 2:49am On Apr 20, 2012
Guys, please am about to start a catfish farm with about 3,000 fingerlings, can anyone kindly tell me the feed i will start with, and when to change the feed.
ayosat: please you don't feed your fish with just anything. They will NEVER GROW. Catfish has its own feeds formula. I've seen people feeding their fish with raw maize, bread, gari, africa buscuit(kuli kuli) etc you name it. The issue there is that d fish will eat them because they need to survive but they will never grow! And 50kg of fish! My brother you watch to much of discovery channel, maybe in d ocean but not in anybody's pond.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by gowaga68: 11:46am On Apr 25, 2012
Coppen is good for the first two month followed by good locally made feed like vital,durante etc for the remaining months.
transponder: Guys, please am about to start a catfish farm with about 3,000 fingerlings, can anyone kindly tell me the feed i will start with, and when to change the feed.
anyone with broodstock of 1kg for sale?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by sholatech(m): 10:03am On Apr 29, 2012
Great thread! As an entrepreneur ready to swim in any good-looking business, I think reading this thread has attracted my interest to cat-fish farming.

Any info on figures relating to the demand and supply of catfish in Nigeria??Market size??
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 2:08pm On Apr 30, 2012
I agree with u 100%.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 2:11pm On Apr 30, 2012
gowaga68: Formular or no formular when u use the right method you'll get there.ararat keep it up.post some pics too. On jumbo size i agree with the contributor that says know the source.
i agree with u 100%.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by RKtoyosi: 3:46pm On May 03, 2012
This is a good topic indeed..thanks for the insight guys...But, everyone is talking about the onset,growth and maintainance of the business. can anyone shed light on fish sizes and there market value. How do you get the buyers ? and how long can you keep breeding them for after there normal 4-6 months date.
I don't have a farm yet, but i'm seriously considering one ...a friend told me market women who buys from him negotiates at ridiculous prices to what he originally invested in it and i think thats why he's decided to quit the business.what do you think is the best possible marketing strategy ? thanks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by OXYZ: 11:50pm On May 03, 2012
LET HELP MAKE
YOUR CATFISH FARMING A SUCCESS

Buy
QUALITY FINGERLINGS
AT A REASONABLE PRICE
For Enquiries And Bookings,Please Call Kayode:08032262906,08053054300
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by drogba(m): 7:17am On May 04, 2012
I have a hatchery and produce over 500,000 Fingerlings monthly. If you are a fish farmer or contractor with a supply order and need good quality Fingerlings of various sizes from Fingerlings to post juvenile (4weeks to 12weeks old), call me on 07053694696 let's transact. I have 2 Hatcherys in Lagos and Ondo state.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by aquatic1(m): 11:19pm On Jun 04, 2012
All my fellow farmers, or newbie in the business that need the formula, try and send a mail, requesting for the formula, and I will send it to your mail free, without collecting a dime. And if you need fingerlings or juvenile to stock to your pond, mail me. The formula is open from now till friday 8th june 2012. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by aquatic1(m): 5:42pm On Jun 07, 2012
Hello farmers or intending farmer, drop ur pin or add me to join the catfish farmer group, where we can meet buyers and sellers, information and a lot more. 30B92C64

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 7:14pm On Jul 04, 2012
Hello farmers... Hope these days weather is not affecting business. I just hope sunshine come soon.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by rabzy: 2:22pm On Jul 09, 2012
aquatic1: All my fellow farmers, or newbie in the business that need the formula, try and send a mail, requesting for the formula, and I will send it to your mail free, without collecting a dime. And if you need fingerlings or juvenile to stock to your pond, mail me. The formula is open from now till friday 8th june 2012. Thanks.

ehen, so after you sold it to me, now you are giving it free....okay ooo. no beefing its alright. How are you doing, i have used the formular on some oversized fingerlings i could not sell but just stock up...i overstocked them and i can't say i really was trying to test the formular. But am soon going to stock table size fish under better conditions, so i can really test out the formular.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by aquatic1(m): 2:40pm On Jul 09, 2012
@rabzy, I just gave it out for some time, am not giving it out free again. Just discover some additional ingredient, that will make the feeds float, but I want to test it well before I start giving it out.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Chux6203: 5:20pm On Jul 09, 2012
I find it so funny that people who claim to be successful catfish farmers are only interested in selling formulars instead of putting online what they use to help others and in the process improve on what they do. for a start I believe from the standpoint of daily practise that 4 bags of coppens is grossly too small to feed 1000 pcs of postfingerlies for one month except if they are underfed.
for me I have been in the catfish business for over five (5) years in Benin City and I am successful so to say and I am ready to share my formular online for people to learn from freely.
I stock postfingerlies bought from reputable farms and I feed with foreign feed preferably Durantee or coppens 1.8 for (1-2 weeks) then I use 2-3mm, 3-4 weeks (1 Month) I feed with foreign feed in the mornings and maggots in the evenings. you can generate maggots freely by culturing poultry wastes or animal wastes from the abattoir. they are very cheap source of protein
After one month I switch to local pelleted feed usually 3mm with strong protein bias eg: Ground local fish particles 45% Blood meal 10%, full fat soya 10% soya cake 5% Ground Nut Cake (GNC) 15% Maize 5% Peenut 5% Bone meal 3%, starter fish premix, lysine & methaonine, Industrial Vitamin C, Vitamn B and palm oil for energy.
from the third (3) month to the fourth month I change emphasise from protein to carbohydrate to them to gain up to 1.5kg by the end of week 4 as follows:
Local fish meal (uaually bought in the market as broken fish and later ground) 22% Blood meal 8%
Maize 30% peenuts 12% Soya cake 10% GNC 15% Bone 3% finisher Premix, Lysine, Methaonine, Ind. Vit C, Vit. B and palmoil. With this formular and good water management coupled with adequate spacing your fish can hit 1.5kg in 4 months if your fingerlies are good

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by wolllexxx: 4:04pm On Jul 10, 2012
Guys,
What happened to the thread, did all problems get solved? Or did people get tired of the thread? Is anyone experimenting with local feeds at the moment?

I think we should have been a bit patient with the original postor of this thread and heard him out without starting a riot. Yes, he asked for financial gratification. We all have borne costs for researching different ventures, some give out information for free while others do not.

From what I hace observed on this thread, some stocked fingerlings, others stocked post fingerlings and some even mentioned jumbo.
Size/age of your initial start up fish matter as to the timing of your harvest.

People have issues with imported feeds because of their high cost. If someone can drastically reduce that cost, let us hear him or them.

So i'm clling on Aquatic 1, and other contributors who have experimented with local formulations to talk about it;

1)Cost implication
2)Effect on pond water and frequency of change
3)Raw materials used, we can try our own formulations

I might have missed out a few points, but please guys, let's get talking and stop fighting.

My two cents

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.