Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,458 members, 7,808,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Catfish Farming: My Story - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming: My Story (203184 Views)

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Re: Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 10:45pm On Dec 01, 2012
Please lets not fight over this. It will just be like repeating what the thread went through in the begining. I bet no man knows it all, we should all learn from one another. Ive been in dis business for more than 4 yrs now and by Gods grace i learn more everyday through this thread and other sites. If an idea seems funny or crazy... that it wont work, why not try it out first to see if it work or not. Ive come acros so many crazy ideas myself. some work out well, while some did not. The bottom line here is that, that idea that seem crazy to u, if u sit on it, work on it, mix urs to it... it might actually turn out to be the best idea ever.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by bukkybota(m): 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2012
I have catfish that I want to sell in Ibadan, they are between 900g - 1.2kg, the total number is above 1000 pieces, I also have 400-500g, they are 800 pieces that I want to sell ASAP, if u are a buyer or you have a link please contact me, channelbukky@yahoo.com, 08067691079. thanks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fluffybaby(f): 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2012
Biko o house, howmuch can one get 1kg of fish in Abuja? And where can one find a pond where mature cat fish is sold?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 4:58pm On Dec 02, 2012
bukkybota: I have catfish that I want to sell in Ibadan, they are between 900g - 1.2kg, the total number is above 1000 pieces, I also have 400-500g, they are 800 pieces that I want to sell ASAP, if u are a buyer or you have a link please contact me, channelbukky@yahoo.com, 08067691079. thanks

Fish price has gone down so I will advice u to wait till January but if u insist, here is d no of my customer 08057569371; his name Edwin.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 2:59pm On Dec 05, 2012
ab1x:

Fish price has gone down so I will advice u to wait till January but if u insist, here is d no of my customer 08057569371; his name Edwin.
now too many people are selling at d same time. But that does not mean the price has gone down. U can either wait till january or talk to d catfish sellers around ur area, they have association, they can come in groups tn clear them.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Years(m): 12:08am On Dec 06, 2012
am so so following this thread. Much respect to all of you that contributed positively and negatively to this thread. This is what makes it BALANCED. I love it. pls do more.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by bukkybota(m): 6:48am On Dec 06, 2012
ab1x:

I called Edwin but he said he only buys around ijebu-ode
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 6:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
wolllexxx: @ab1x,

From the write up of others on this thread, you should be able to tell the farmers from the info seekers. And then there are rovers.

The person whose write up you shot down has helped people on this thread to set up ponds and has given a few thomases his formulation.

Rather than critisize, seek for ways to lower your cost and maximise your profit. It is in bad taste to read one part of a thread and then draw conclusions and make pronouncements based solely on your own findings. What makes you think your way is the best practice.

If they had told the white man that leaves and tree barks could cure malaria he probably would've scoffed at the idea as you did to the findings of the author of this thread.

If you take the time to read through this thread you'll see that others before you have critisized this write up more than you have. Some among them have later added value after getting the formulation.

If you have value to add do so. This forum is not for chest thumping. It is to help each other.

Is it by selling formula that means helping a lot of people. Are u his agent or what? If u don't ve any better thing to say, then I will advise u to kip quite.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 6:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
bukkybota:

I called Edwin but he said he only buys around ijebu-ode

I'll ask my other customers if they can come to IB. I'll keep u posted.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 6:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
For record purpose, I change to local feeds after one and half month and here is my local feed formula (starter); Fish meal 25, Toated Soya 25, GNC 25 WO 10, Indomie 10, Molasis 10, Bone 5, Oxy 0.1, B/Vit 1kilo, Salt 2 Molasis 8 VitC 200grams. That's the formaula that I used for my fishes that are in eathern pond but I increased the FM to 30 in a concrete pond. If I don't get to buy B/vit, I normally use Premix 0.5, Lysine 0.5, Methionie 0.1 .
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 6:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
For record purpose, I change to local feeds after one and half month and here is my local feed formula (starter); Fish meal 25, Toated Soya 25, GNC 25 WO 10, Indomie 10, Molasis 10, Bone 5, Oxy 0.1, B/Vit 1kilo, Salt 2 Molasis 8 VitC 200grams. That's the formaula that I used for my fishes that are in eathern pond but I increased the FM to 30 in a concrete pond. If I don't get to but B/vit, I normally use Premix 0.5, Lysine 0.5, Methionie 0.1 .
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by bukkybota(m): 3:52pm On Dec 09, 2012
ab1x:

I'll ask my other customers if they can come to IB. I'll keep u posted.

Thank you
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2012
For those that want to experiment with hatching, here are the 10 tips u need to spawn. But please note- if u dont have the time or patience, please dont attempt it. There various stages we need to know in hatching fingerlins. 1) Get all the necessary materials ready for spawning. 2) Selecting the male and female catfish broodstock. 3) Inducing the female brooder with hormone. 4) Stripping of eggs from female broodstock. 5) Dissecting the male broodstock. 6) fertilization process. 7) spreading of fertilized eggs. cool Waiting time. 9) Siphoning. 10) Feeding. (To be continued). For the best fingerlins and juvenile do call Ayo on 08035193433 or drop your e mail on ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com our farm is at Abule egba Lagos

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 2:35pm On Dec 11, 2012
1) NECESSARY MATERIALS FOR SPAWNING- There are some basic things u need to put in place first, b4 u attempt to hatch. These things may include syringe, artemia, mosquito net (bigger hole type), ovarim (hormone), bowls, spoon, also u should get the spawning vat ready and get the water to be used ready also. Make sure the water PH is adequate (this is very important). The use of all these will be discuss soon. For your best fingerlins and juvenile call Ayo on 08035193433 or e mail on ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by all4bailey: 12:23pm On Dec 12, 2012
Pls let all fish farmers do a small review on the price we sell fish for the customers cos if it happen u sold 2psc of fish for N450 per 1 kg and they go out there to re-sell 1 for N700 who is making the profit among us or can someone tell me how he makes his own profit without any stress pls contact me on 08023241098 thanks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by innocentchuks(m): 3:29pm On Dec 13, 2012
[quote

author=efe22]@Adamawa, abeg post d info. Thank u.

Catfish is a real capital demanding, guys don't be fool by pips trying
to pose as if d thing na child play. To raise 200 fingerlings to market
size is about 120k to 140k. Be careful guz [/quote]

i quote u wrong if u follow statistics and thoery it said u will spend
#280 to raise a fish to table sizes, though @ the end u might spend less
or above depending on ur feeding method and mgt, mine cost me #200 on
foreign feed, though i did not buy fingerlings. but the simple true is
that fish farming needs capital and the best way is to start small, if u
do not have water source do not stock large quantity else u will cry.
another thing do not over stock, the good news is that fish converts
protein to meat fasters than most animal. it can eat vertually anything
the bad news is that if you are not careful with water mgt u will have
high mortality and low yield.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by innocentchuks(m): 3:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
cat fish farming is an interesting business, but before u start try and gain knowledge about it if not u will encounter lost, before i venture into this business i spend 7 months learning it practically in a farm. forget all these theory and speculation in pratical field there are things that are not applicable and there are things u can manipulate. take for instance no test book will tell u how to manage and work on one week fry, or how drain their water and clean the hatch tray on a severe pollution. if u do not do it pratical u can never know it. in fish farmer ur profit, success and management depend on ur knowledge and information. till this minute i am still learning and improving.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by innocentchuks(m): 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2012
[quote
author=efe22]My pond smell often even frequent changing of every two
days. Pls help[/quote]
ur problem might be bad water mgt,bad feeding method, hard water and over stocking
solution make sure u do not over stock, treat ur water with salt before
stocking and feed ur fish by response, after that if it continue move
the fish to another pond if u have a spare pond and leave the pond for
about three day without water after that wash with salt solution. if it
still persist consider re-treating the pond.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by innocentchuks(m): 9:24pm On Dec 13, 2012
mr_oluway: , U don't need Much, Just Wash the Pond with HOT water and Salt with Brush, Thats all

guy u are a big liar a new cemented pond need to be treated at least two wks before stocking else u will be having problem, catfish is strong but not when u toil with their health.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by innocentchuks(m): 9:36pm On Dec 13, 2012
[quote
author=Mashkov]Hello people,

Please i need advice on how to treat a newly cemented concrete pond
before stocking with fish. Some people say I should use maure while some
says I should you palm oil. I know, not treating the pond after
cementing will cause massive death of the fish due to pollution of the
water by cement chemicals.

Please, good people, advise.

Thanks[/quote]

my crude way of treating cut banana stem slice it in pieces put it in the pond and pour water leave it for three wks, evacuate the water leave it for another four day then wash the pond. after a day pour water and stock. but if u re in a haste use poultry waste or NPK for two wks sun dry and wash. me i prefer banana stem.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by wolllexxx: 7:07am On Dec 14, 2012
@ab1x,

Obviously you don't know how to read or you have a problem understanding simple English. Read previous write ups again you retard.

He has been giving out the formulation for free and helped others to set up ponds for free including this writer.

You're the one forcing your way into a thread started by another and trying to claim relevance.

Me an agent? You must be drunk from your pond water.

Go start your own thread and pound your chest there mr 13,000 fishes.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 8:10am On Dec 14, 2012

Obviously you don't know how to read or you have a problem understanding simple English. Read previous write ups again you retard.

He has been giving out the formulation for free and helped others to set up ponds for free including this writer.

You're the one forcing your way into a thread started by another and trying to claim relevance.

Me an agent? You must be drunk from your pond water.

Go start your own thread and pound your chest there mr 13,000 fishes.

Maybe u should quote where d formular was given freely here. I don't need to be relevance on here because it does not add any dime to my pocket. You're a re.tard for thinking I am looking 4 relevance and btw how much do dy pay u for bin an agent smiley

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 8:58am On Dec 14, 2012
Please guys let there be peace. We r here to learn not fight.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 9:11am On Dec 14, 2012
[quote author=ayosat]Please guys let there be peace. We r here to learn not fight

He is only bin childish. He simply cannot read btw d lines. I'♏ a man of peace and I am in no way want to derail d thread. I want to learn because life itself is a learning process.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by saltimmy: 10:07am On Dec 14, 2012
mr_oluway: I've been following this for a while and i never knew people will see it from the Angle I'm also looking at it , I was about to call this Poster when i first read the Post but i don't just feel like despite the Fact that i know personally that it a big LIE, Actually, I don't really know how much its will cost to raise 1000 pieces of Catfish But I'm having 1000 pieces right now.i stock them on the 26th of November 2011, so as I'm writing right now, they are a month Old yesterday and all i noticed was that they Have Consumed 3 Bags Of 3mm Coppens throughout the first Month. I just opened up the Forth and 5th Bag , I sorted them into 500 /500 in 2 ponds and the first 500 are about to start eating 4mm Today while the other 500 in the Second Pond have Started eating 6mm Yesterday. I'm very Happy to see them Growing Faster than i think. I haven't weigh them Yet. but they are Getting Bigger. The Coppens Cost me 4900 per-bag, I don't know about the Cost in other location cos my Farm is in my House ( AKUTE, OLAMBE) Then i Feed them 3 Times in a Day. So if anyone want any details , U are free to ask me here , I dont have anything to Sell to anyone, Just need to let people my Progress. And www.Nairaland.com has been really helping me so far. I THANK GOD

Good day... I jes started catfish farming and I hv close to 500 ...I still feed dem 2mm coppens..I nid to knw wen to change to 3mm and how often do I change d water..tanks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 10:41am On Dec 14, 2012
2) SELECTING THE MALE AND FEMALE BROODSTOCK: The brood stock u select must be at least one year old. To identify the male and the female, u need to check their genitals ( from the belly of the fish). The male genital is burgeon a little (see from the picture). While that of the female is flat or almost. Also the belly of a good female is swollen, this is due to the secretion of eggs in them ( see 4rm the picture). When u press the belly of the female a little to confirm the egg, it can be brown, green or golden in colour. Make sure when u check, there is no blood or white spots with the eggs of the female broodstock u r going to use. Finally when u have selected the broodstock, male and female. Make sure u dont keep them together. They must be kept seperately, cos they tends to be aggresive if kept together and they will injure or even kill themselves, if put together. Put them in different plastic containers. *** to be cotinue *** For the best fingerlings and juvenile please call Ayo on 08035193433 or e mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com the farm is at Abule egba. Lagos. Hope to hear 4rm u. Thanks.

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 10:49am On Dec 14, 2012
saltimmy:

Good day... I jes started catfish farming and I hv close to 500 ...I still feed dem 2mm coppens..I nid to knw wen to change to 3mm and how often do I change d water..tanks

There is no specific time to change from 2mm to 3mm however the size of ur fish will determine when to do so. Watch their mouth closely and Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡ if they can pick 3mm. Cheers
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by wolllexxx: 7:44am On Dec 15, 2012
@ab1x,

Have you noticed that other contributors simply contribute and do not attack the author?

Do you know that a man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot read?

Do you really have a formal education or did you attend night school? Or you just process information really slow?

Everytime you write to defend your position you leave your flanks open to show how slow you are.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN REALLY SLOW: READ EARLIER WRITE UPS ON THIS THREAD. SHOW US YOU WENT TO SCHOOL.

And for the umpteenth time, it's in bad taste to attack an author of a thread and insist on staying on the thread. GO START YOUR OWN THREAD ABI ANOTHER THING DEY THERE? And see how it feels to start a write up.

Better still, start one now, give us a topic or should we choose one for you?

You don't try to force your way into another man's domain and say you it's a peaceful move.

Add value not attack. If you can interprete well, you'll know you're no match for me on writing or understanding. I'm no agent. And I'm sure people don't pay for such info anymore when they can easily get it off the web.

I dare you to respond again so I can expose your real motive of joining this thread.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by innocentchuks(m): 9:18am On Dec 15, 2012
Good news for fish farmers,
get your fingerlings, post-fingerlings, juvenile, table fish and broodstock @ divine concept farm.
fixtures: low mortality rate, good growth rate, good food conversion ratio, high resistance to diseases.

your benefits include:
1.Daily guide and assistance on the pros and cons in fish farming.
2.Supply of only improved and good seeds.
3.Delivery at a subsidized price.
4.An opportunity to be a Hatcher.
rush now will the offer last for more detail call 08038651783 or 08184959320

1 Share

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 9:39am On Dec 15, 2012

Have you noticed that other contributors simply contribute and do not attack the author?

Do you know that a man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot read?

Do you really have a formal education or did you attend night school? Or you just process information really slow?

Everytime you write to defend your position you leave your flanks open to show how slow you are.

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN REALLY SLOW: READ EARLIER WRITE UPS ON THIS THREAD. SHOW US YOU WENT TO SCHOOL.

And for the umpteenth time, it's in bad taste to attack an author of a thread and insist on staying on the thread. GO START YOUR OWN THREAD ABI ANOTHER THING DEY THERE? And see how it feels to start a write up.

Better still, start one now, give us a topic or should we choose one for you?

You don't try to force your way into another man's domain and say you it's a peaceful move.

Add value not attack. If you can interprete well, you'll know you're no match for me on writing or understanding. I'm no agent. And I'm sure people don't pay for such info anymore when they can easily get it off the web.

I dare you to respond again so I can expose your real motive of joining this thread.

You still have not answered my question. You need to quote where the op gave out the formula freely on here. I'♏ not here to exchange words with u because u r only a kid and only a kid rant on a faceless forum. I can bodly say that u've nt achieved half of what I've achieved academically. You r just a small boi looking for a mere recognitn on nl. It shows clearly that u didn't read the author's write up because if u do, u won't b here saying he gave his formula freely. Do u even know about catfish biz ? Do u know what formula is ?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by innocentchuks(m): 10:06am On Dec 15, 2012
To add to what ayo said it is not every female fish with bulge stomach has ripe egg for hatchery, the best way to know is through the genital papilla. the genital papilla will be swollen, pinkish or brown in color with this u will know it has mature eggs. note: that of female is short while that of male is long.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by wolllexxx: 8:34am On Dec 16, 2012
@ab1x,

Of course it's a faceless forum that's why people make larger than life claims including you.

Meanwhile, go and check: the effect of partial or total replacement of fishmeal with maggot meal in the diet of oreochromis niloticus (fashina-bombata and balogun O.). That was a publication made in the nineties quoted severally by many other researchers.

So you see oga chest pounder, I did an experiment with maggotmeal in 1994. I only got on this forum because the author had an angle I didn't think was possible. Several people like you came pounding on the guy and didn't allow him land. Their loss because those that asked nicely got the formulation through e-mail (I guess you'll now cry foul)

You see, you're the kid. I'm a fisheries graduate. I've worked with this author on my farm. I have nothing to sell. I only attack people like you who have nothing to add to the forum but boasts and addresses of other consultants.

Next, you'll be offerring coded and partial advice and dropping phone numbers for innocent victims. GETTING WARM? That's why I said you should go start your own thread.

We've seen many like you at the beginning of this thread many months ago who bashed the author while a few reasoned and turned the forum around into what it has become. It has evolved. Don't take us back to the stone age CAVEMAN.

You've achieved so much academically? Don't make me laugh. Do you know the achievements of other people on this thread? Even including this writer? Don't get me started Mr. I can't spell.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.