Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,457 members, 7,808,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured (1632 Views)

2 Acres Of Fresh Maize For Sale / My Fresh Pepper Project. / We Buy Fresh Maize. Farm Gate Price. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Dawson126: 11:33pm On Sep 02, 2021
Please referred to my thread on my maize farm cultivation.

After I was done at school, I left for the sales outlet we had an agreement to come and purchase my maize at once but those guys wanted to reap more than the sower so I told them that won't be possible because I was very analytical with them. I already made the calculations from home, their profit, their cost and all on a presentation, and I patiently explained to them and they were surprised. I am a very principled person though flexible in consideration, so I told them not to call me, no matter how well they reconsidered it, that right there I had made my decision and it was final, my maize won't be sold to them.

Usually they were not expecting me because what they do is to get to your farm and after harvesting your crop, they begin to bargain which they know you're at their mercy because no way one can put the maize back to their original place and once I stays so long on ground, value reduces.

The reason why food is expensive is not the farmer, they buy this thing at a considerable price from us but these middle men sell it so high. Imagine buying a basket of tomatoes for 5k and you want to make a profit of 6k out of it excluding other costs eg transportation

So I got to the farm yesterday I saw how things were and I began to think. I resolved to using market women.

I made another presentation of cost and profit analysis using some rough papers and I mobilized these market women on a one and one basis, I told them we don't have to make things hard for Nigerians, I would definitely sell this maize to you a very considerate price, this and this you'd buy, your profit this, and food would be available for everyone. I told them other stuffs and I told them to remember that some people lunch is that maize, so selling it out should be very considerable too. Some of them were very receptive and began to swear to God and some were saying this is true 'one day we will give account to God, I want to give account on how well my business was not made a burden to buyers'

I choose two leaders for them and divided them into two groups. This evening, info reach other women at the other town and they came looking for me, they told me what they've had which I asked them to explain and they did.

We agreed 4 maize for #100 while they sell #50 each.

Pictures will be added when the time is right........

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Deasegun19(m): 12:00am On Sep 03, 2021
middle men will be the death of Nigerians. No human feeling...
Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by ipobarethieves: 12:24am On Sep 03, 2021
Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by lilvicky68(m): 1:15am On Sep 03, 2021
Thank you.. that's how it supposed to be..
If not anything at least food should be cheap..
Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Deasegun19(m): 2:28am On Sep 03, 2021
lilvicky68:
Thank you.. that's how it supposed to be..
If not anything at least food should be cheap..

anything food, health and shelter should be affordable.

2 Likes

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Dawson126: 12:50pm On Sep 03, 2021
Multiple entrIes, one deleted

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Dawson126: 1:09pm On Sep 03, 2021
Sales began today.

The first set of women I asked to come, did early when we got to the farm, with the way they were doing and saying stuffs, I knew this ones would never change. They seemed to have vowed with the demons in some of our politicians to make things hard.

After they harvested some samples of maize, they began to murmur that I make it five for a hundred Naira, I agreed but I decided to speak with their transport guy, man to man, the guy told me irrational stuffs these women do not only in cheating the farmers but also lying to consumers, he said he had known them for some times now and would be available to them anytime they need his service.

The thing vexed me, coupled with their predisposition and the way they were doing in farm despite our agreement, I just told them to leave and I collected the all the samples from them.

I might not be the government or any body in power but I have rights on my maize. My maize is my product and I'm concerned with the well delivery to meet the demand of its consumers even their pockets.

I called the other set of women from the other town and they came, they did well a little. I sold a bag (the 50kg size used in packing flour) and quarter for them #7,900) . They begged if they could come tomorrow and I said yes

I asked if they know the rules and they agreed.
But I bet they don't know what they're into, I made findings yesterday about their sales points. In the next 2-3 hours, I'll ask someone to go buy #50 maize from them. If they deviate from the rules, no maize. At least if the common man cannot eat packaged food, he should at least enjoy what is easily processed in his local environment.

More updates coming.... .. ...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Roses1759: 9:09pm On Sep 03, 2021
Great thread. Thanks a lot for caring and speaking for the common man during price negotiation of your corn. Well done sir .

3 Likes

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Dawson126: 5:36pm On Sep 04, 2021
The women did comply with our agreement. I would have updated this today but I had a flat battery.

I sold another sack today 8k to them. Market has been smiling at them. grin

No pictures today due to flat battery.

2 Likes

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Riverville(m): 7:56pm On Sep 05, 2021
Nigeria market women are very dubious... One bought some of my maize farm. After agreeing on 40k. This woman came to harvest. after harvesting, this woman say she nor fit pay 40k o. I was so mad. Now before you touch my crop, you will pay me. I hate tricks

3 Likes

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Dawson126: 11:43am On Sep 06, 2021
Riverville:
Nigeria market women are very dubious... One bought some of my maize farm. After agreeing on 40k. This woman came to harvest. after harvesting, this woman say she nor fit pay 40k o. I was so mad. Now before you touch my crop, you will pay me. I hate tricks

This is funny.
They could be dubious and selfish too.
if they are not we'll managed. I had to leave farm for an emergency. I just handed over the stuff to my partner
Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by Dawson126: 7:52pm On Sep 06, 2021
I just received a message now from my partner. Compliance level increasing and more people subscribing. We have decided to set up follow ups for our clients for checks and I had the opportunity today to share this with a group of academics today, the reason for documentation and checks and balances on our side. We can't afford to lose focus. This in turn has really improved sales.

More updates coming............

4 Likes

Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by adeniyi65(m): 9:45pm On Nov 10, 2022
Dawson126:
I just received a message now from my partner. Compliance level increasing and more people subscribing. We have decided to set up follow ups for our clients for checks and I had the opportunity today to share this with a group of academics today, the reason for documentation and checks and balances on our side. We can't afford to lose focus. This in turn has really improved sales.

More updates coming............
This Is completely fascinating.
Re: How I Sold My Fresh Maize After They Matured by FreshFarmAgro: 5:52pm On Nov 26, 2022
Dawson126:
Please referred to my thread on my maize farm cultivation.

After I was done at school, I left for the sales outlet we had an agreement to come and purchase my maize at once but those guys wanted to reap more than the sower so I told them that won't be possible because I was very analytical with them. I already made the calculations from home, their profit, their cost and all on a presentation, and I patiently explained to them and they were surprised. I am a very principled person though flexible in consideration, so I told them not to call me, no matter how well they reconsidered it, that right there I had made my decision and it was final, my maize won't be sold to them.

Usually they were not expecting me because what they do is to get to your farm and after harvesting your crop, they begin to bargain which they know you're at their mercy because no way one can put the maize back to their original place and once I stays so long on ground, value reduces.

The reason why food is expensive is not the farmer, they buy this thing at a considerable price from us but these middle men sell it so high. Imagine buying a basket of tomatoes for 5k and you want to make a profit of 6k out of it excluding other costs eg transportation

So I got to the farm yesterday I saw how things were and I began to think. I resolved to using market women.

I made another presentation of cost and profit analysis using some rough papers and I mobilized these market women on a one and one basis, I told them we don't have to make things hard for Nigerians, I would definitely sell this maize to you a very considerate price, this and this you'd buy, your profit this, and food would be available for everyone. I told them other stuffs and I told them to remember that some people lunch is that maize, so selling it out should be very considerable too. Some of them were very receptive and began to swear to God and some were saying this is true 'one day we will give account to God, I want to give account on how well my business was not made a burden to buyers'

I choose two leaders for them and divided them into two groups. This evening, info reach other women at the other town and they came looking for me, they told me what they've had which I asked them to explain and they did.

We agreed 4 maize for #100 while they sell #50 each.

Pictures will be added when the time is right........

Exactly what i planned on doing myself

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hybrid Pawpaw Seed In Lagos / Looking For Cheap Land For Farming? Get A Plot For Just N30K In Abeokuta (Pics) / Between Poultry N Piggery Which Is More Profitable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.