Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,506 members, 7,801,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (38966 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:24pm On Sep 03, 2021
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 03, 2021
Stopped long ago, eat anytime I feel like, most times first, depending on quantity...

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hezzyluv: 4:27pm On Sep 03, 2021
use to wonder too. But I think it has to do with culture. I think in some Yoruba culture, they even see it as an offense for a child to eat the meat or fish before the meal.

184 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 4:31pm On Sep 03, 2021
Sometimes I cook just meat and eat....

258 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:31pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheCalculator:
Stopped long ago, eat anytime I feel like, most times first, depending in quantity

Hmmmm...

The way I do it sometimes is.. If the meat is plenty, like 5 or 6 I eat some of it with the food.

But I must save the last meat for when I have finished the food. grin

506 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:32pm On Sep 03, 2021
illicit:
Sometimes I cook meat alone and eat....

What quantity? And what animal?

16 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:33pm On Sep 03, 2021
Hezzyluv:
Lol...

I'm sure you also do it. grin

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 4:34pm On Sep 03, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

What quantity? And what animal?

Beef mostly

I can eat as much as ten pieces

I make it spicy

25 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hezzyluv: 4:35pm On Sep 03, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

I'm sure you also do it. grin

Na normz
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Goldbw122(m): 4:35pm On Sep 03, 2021
I eat meat before and after meal, so I usually have two meat. That is for me.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 4:53pm On Sep 03, 2021
Hezzyluv:
use to wonder too. But I think it has to do with culture. I think in some Yoruba culture, they even see it as an offense for a child to eat the meat or fish before the meal.

Ehen? Hmmm... Interesting...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by habsydiamond(m): 5:34pm On Sep 03, 2021
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me

528 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Modecaih: 5:59pm On Sep 03, 2021
The meat gives me inspiration to eat more and also the food is the prayer while the meat is amen.

298 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 6:06pm On Sep 03, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me

Lol

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 6:07pm On Sep 03, 2021
Modecaih:
The meat gives me inspiration to eat more and also the food is the prayer while the meat is amen.

LOL... Nice

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 03, 2021
I don't do it. I eat the meat alongside the food and make sure theres a small piece of meat left for the last scoop. There's no how. I must chew the last spoon with meat, no matter how small.

I can't wait to the end before eating the meat. That's how we eat in our house.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:27pm On Sep 03, 2021
Mercychen:
I don't do it. I eat the meat alongside the food and make sure theres a piece of meat left for the last scoop. There's no how. I must chow the last spoon with meat, no matter how small.

I can't wait til the end before eating the meat. That's how we eat in our house.

I do that sometimes too..

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by 1F30M4(f): 10:35pm On Sep 03, 2021
habsydiamond:

Hahahaha cheesy no be smoh dignity oo lwkm grin grin

For me bah, obstructions go well with the food or after, then wash all of 'em down with refreshing water, not before.. Unless I no wan chop, I go don know sey na ontop something light levels I dey wink

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by habsydiamond(m): 11:06pm On Sep 03, 2021
1F30M4:

For me bah, obstructions go well with the food or after, then wash all of 'em down with refreshing water, not before.. Unless I no wan chop, I go don know sey na ontop something light levels I dey wink
correct na same page we gather dey... Lol

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 10:41am On Sep 04, 2021
1F30M4:

na so
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 3:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
A very wrong form of training that has being passed on from generation to generation and no one bothers to question these tenets.

Parents train children to see meat as gold. Why the children no go dey steal meat from pot!!!!

Funny enough, it is the same meat that is being sold as suya outside for very cheap amounts.

This present generation needs to do away with some nonsense if not our children go judge us to our face.

N.B : Children are getting very smart now thanks to Western education and they can see through all our mistakes.

17 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
something we have been doing since 1960... it's just how it works in Nigeria, just like you asking why do we don't like drinking water from the Tap in the toilet

3 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Idamond: 6:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
it is a choice me that use to eat meat before food
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by bencarson007(m): 6:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
Tradition
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by madridguy(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Gwan2(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
Bro, let me tell you something

A friend of mine told me when he came abroad, while most immigrants goal was/is to scout for jobs to make money..first thing he did was to register himself with a psychotherapist for a year to unlearn and relearn a lot of thing he inherited in naija before integrating himself into the country’s lifestyle.

Bro, we inherited a lot of vices that are inherent in us and needs to be cleared off our minds. The typical African or naija person is greedy, envious, malicious, wicked, corrupt, dishonest etc. Feel the air surrounding the country, it depicts the people’s personalities. I deviated from the topic because it is a subset of this.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by inoki247: 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
Iz In the bible I don forget the chapter wey e dey sha undecided undecided undecided
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by affable4(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
Eating the meat first psychologically makes the food uninteresting.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by pepetua(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
I don't know
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by xpressionx(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
Me that eat the meats first before start eating the food
grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Mitsurugi(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
They are those that can only have one piece of meat on their plates. Those with 6 or more including assorted spread don't grin

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Easy Way To Make Spaghetti Like A Chef / A Glass Of Which Of The Drinks Would You Take? Why? / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.