Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,528 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Gomes Announces Shock Retirement Ahead Of World Cup Qualifer Against Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gomes Announces Shock Retirement Ahead Of World Cup Qualifer Against Nigeria (234 Views)

Andre Gomes Injured, Leg Breaks, Players Devastated (Photos) / CAF Appoint Alioum As Referee For AFCON 2019 Final, Victor Gomes Dropped / OFFICIAL: Everton Sign Andre Gomes From Barcelona On Loan (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gomes Announces Shock Retirement Ahead Of World Cup Qualifer Against Nigeria by Insidenaija: 7:01am On Sep 07, 2021
Barely 24 hours to the Cape Verde World Cup qualifier against Nigeria on Tuesday, Ricardo Gomes has announced his retirement from his national team, Newspremises reports.

According to Cape Verdean Football Federation, the Partizan Belgrade star left the squad due to injury worries.

However, Gomes has confirmed his international retirement.

In a statement today, the 29-year-old who missed the 1-1 draw against the Central African Republic, said: “It is public knowledge at the moment that I am playing for Partizan FK club that participates in the Serbian championship.

“However, during these years I have always honoured the calls, even in situations where professionally it would be advisable to refuse or temporarily abdicate our selection, placing our selection above my personal and professional ambitions and the ambitions of the clubs that for all intents and purposes are the responsible and biggest investors in my professional career, all in compliance with the dream of participating and helping our country, by the way, a dream I’ve had since I know myself as people.

“However, after the collective training for the match against Nigeria, it was clear that my help at the moment is expendable. Despite the long trip made from Serbia it was clear that the technical team did not count me for the first team, nor for the second team.”

Since making his international debut in 2015, Gomes has scored four times in 16 matches for Cape Verde.

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/cape-verde-vs-nigeria-gomes-announces-shock-retirement-ahead-of-world-cup-qualifier/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Dominique

Re: Gomes Announces Shock Retirement Ahead Of World Cup Qualifer Against Nigeria by Waakanda: 7:25am On Sep 07, 2021
I respect his choice... He doesn't want to retire with a broken heart cool
Re: Gomes Announces Shock Retirement Ahead Of World Cup Qualifer Against Nigeria by Insidenaija: 7:27am On Sep 07, 2021
grin grin grin
Waakanda:
I respect his choice... He doesn't want to retire with a broken heart cool

(1) (Reply)

Poland Strike Late To Deny England Vicory / Young Boys Are Better Than Manchester United / United To Appeal Aaron Wan-bissaka’s Champions League Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.