Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan (36425 Views)

Someone Used My ATM Card To Shop On Aliexpress / ‘I Only Used My Fingers’; Man Arrested For Raping Girl In Delta State. Photos / How We Extract Bank Details From Stolen Phones To Withdraw Money —suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 3:43pm On Sep 07, 2021
daamazing:
you can request salary loans via ussd. Sim was inserted in a different device

Exactly, what happened! This is why SIM Lock is very important! Had to do that recently because of these loopholes criminals are using! SMH.

Might also be time for banks in Nigeria to cancel any sort of salary advance or loan on their USSD Codes for now!

1 Like

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Gfskw: 3:46pm On Sep 07, 2021
Really
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 3:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
YeyeGbami:
Always use a SIM PIN.

Exactly, but the threat one's SIM can be locked after incorrect PINs after a very few number of tries is why most are scared of taking it up! I know the stress I went through when one of my SIMs locked in this way but if you have your SIM Pack and know your PUK on it, you will be fine!
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by nairamaniac: 3:51pm On Sep 07, 2021
kingsolomonjnr01:
Since they got them on CCTV, they will definitely get them.
Sorry about ur sister's lost.
What country are you living in?

Since it got on cctv ke?

In Nigeria that's 50/50

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by YeyeGbami: 3:51pm On Sep 07, 2021
yemi1504:

Exactly, but the threat one's SIM can be locked after incorrect PINs after a very few number of tries is why most are scared of taking it up! I know the stress I went through when one of my SIMs locked in this way but if you have your SIM Pack and know your PUK on it, you will be fine!

If you have the myMTN app , your PUK dey there too.
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 3:54pm On Sep 07, 2021
Cantonese:

Very unfortunate.

But may I ask if she truly called MTN customer care. I know that in such unfortunate circumstances the customer is asked to answer two questions just to prove that he/she is the owner of the said line. Once the questions are answered, the line in blocked instantly. That must happen while the customer care agents are on duty. I doubt it that a customer care agent would say the supervisor is not on duty. A lot of customer care agents even work from their homes.

In all, everyone should have SIM pin aside from phone lock for safety reasons.

As for the police, I seriously doubt if they can do anything about the situation. First they will reap you off by asking you to bring money for a entry and police report. Next they will ask you to bring 40k for tracking “a small phone” and 60K for tracking “ a big phone”. With no such money victims leave dejected.

I am seeing three loopholes banks have refused to block for no reason with this
1. The recharge one's phone number option
2. The salary advance or loan option
3. ATM Card and OTP information

Why Nigerian banks have refused to block these loopholes beats me! I am even thinking of maybe deactivating my USSD profiles because of this!
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by hahn(m): 3:55pm On Sep 07, 2021
RSVP:

Nah true you talk oo bros.
I have the same mindset when I enter IB few years back thinking make I dey live my jeje lifestyle with low budget.
Bros E never reach 2 years my eyes start to dey chisumchi shocked shocked

E come be like say dem don jazz me join undecided undecided
I sell everything run back to Lagos fast fast cheesy

Na der I know say theory and pratical nobi same thing.

Lol. I have even been here for about 7 years but my eyes were blind to reality because my business was doing well and I didn't relate much with people or let me say I didn't really depend on anyone.

But as soon as my business had issues and cash ran dry dem change am for me in a way I have never experienced.

Last last na experience sha

2 Likes

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by ManirBK: 3:56pm On Sep 07, 2021
Bola146:

Go to settings, then security, you will see sim lock enter it, it's safer
copy that thanks
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 3:56pm On Sep 07, 2021
Ancecoker:

Then there should be a pin to authenticate the blockage or temporary suspension of ur account so as to prevent unauthorized persons carrying that out without your consent

There is! But UBA and GTB's own are not easy to remember unlike the others where you can deactivate the USSD Profile by using the bank's code and *91I# to do such.
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 4:04pm On Sep 07, 2021
YeyeGbami:

If you have the myMTN app , your PUK dey there too.

Got to know that too! And if you can't access it like I couldn't yesterday, go through the mymtn.com.ng site!

1 Like

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Olawaleslimfit(m): 4:06pm On Sep 07, 2021
Although, its synonymous to Android phones
muller101:
Like activating all 3. For what nah. grin
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 4:11pm On Sep 07, 2021
gulfer:
Sorry about your loss. Something akin to this happened to my wife; hers was not a robbery but she was scammed into revealing the pin of her account (Opay) by a customer agent (fake)....they ended up clearing all her money in the Opay wallet as well as used the Opay account to borrow about N70,000 extra. Most of these fintech inventions should still rely on the trusted age-old 'security question' to which the right answer must be provided before any transaction beyond a certain limit can be done on an account virtually angry angry angry angry angry

Exactly, two-factor authentication is still very key, this is where Piggyvest is ahead of others!
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by gabbasin: 4:20pm On Sep 07, 2021
flyca:
MTN: She called the MTN customer care service to block her SIM and after explaning the incidence the responser said “Madam, I would like to help you block your line o, but I'm sorry, my supervisor is not on duty now” embarassed

There are many things to say o, many anyhowness in Nigeria but I'll wait and read from you guys first.

Thanks
All these are phone locks but no Sim lock, Sim access should have been put on password
Update:
Thank you all for your helpful comments.
Please how can one password their SIM?
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 4:20pm On Sep 07, 2021
Chijindu160:
What is the default security pin for MTN Sim?

Have your PUK or Public Unlocking Key ready, it is on the sim pack of your line, it is an eight-digit number.
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 07, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Lol you doubt it but it's salary account

Forget say naa salary account! For a loan of 500k above to be granted, there must be an official attached, everything in bank entails process, a loan officier will have to review the application n check creditworthiness upon successful review the loan application is submitted for approval which involves an high official ... so whu authorised the 500k loan on a sunday, auto machine? BOT or spirit ? abeg these story no add

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Youngsage: 4:31pm On Sep 07, 2021
muller101:
I find it strange. Why all three? Or are you hiding something?

Lol it's normal now. Nothing strange about it.

Some situations where one may not work you can easily choose another method. eg at night or in the dark, face unlock might not work, you can use fingerprint or PIN. I've been using all three for years, same as everyone I know whose device supports it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 4:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
Ajoself:
If you lose a phone that has your account details in it, Quickly dial below number from any other phone to block your bank account from fraudsters.

1. Access: *901*911#
2. Zenith: *966*911#
3. GTB: *737*51*74#
4. WEMA: *945*911#
5. FirstBank: *894*911#
6. Keystone: *7111*911#
7. UBA: *919*911#
8. FCMB: *329*911#
9. Sterling Bank: *822*911#
10. Unity Bank: *7799*911#
11. Fidelity Bank: *770*911#
12. Heritage Bank: *745*7#
I3. Ecobank *326*911#
14. Union Bank *826*911#
15. Stanbic *909*911#
16. Polaris Bank *833*911#

When you dial the code from any line, you will be asked to enter the phone number you want to deactivate, and that settles it. Please share to your friends, families and well wishes.

UBA's own does not work! Hate the bank like kilode! Use *919*10# to block debit card and *919*9# to freeze online transactions. Just a question for the IT gurus, if your debit card is blocked, can someone still use the USSD or app to have access into the account?
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by bjtinz: 4:34pm On Sep 07, 2021
mekussa:
1.Sim was inserted in a different device.
2. They then used the USSD to check the account number(because the loan has to be paid into an account number)
3. They applied for the loan and cashed out from POS locations.

My recommendations.
1. SIM PIN. With this, the SIM can't be used even if its inserted in another phone.
2. Block USSD transactions from your account or have another account(a backup) where you transfer money into when you want to do USSD transactions.
3. Keep your main ATM card at home always. Have another one where you transfer just enough cash to cover your basic necessities and something for emergencies. Even if they steal this one, money no plenty inside.
4. Instead of sitting down "SHOCKED" when robbed, run around and look for someone's phone to borrow , call customer care or use your banks USSD code to block your account.
5. It will cause stress but..... You can go to your bank and officially write to them to block some online transactions (like this loan thing). If you need a loan in future, its you that will walk to the bank. To avoid stories that touch

Sorry for the loss.
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 4:35pm On Sep 07, 2021
tritt:
Name of the eatery, please. Make we know where we go enter and where we go avoid.

+1
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 4:37pm On Sep 07, 2021
GerogeI:
Hello All,
This is why you should not sign up for USSD banking no matter what your bank says.

I suggest your sister should immediately sue GTB bank for granting a loan in your name without adequate due diligence in less than 24hrs. That way they will be on the defence rather than attacking you to pay.

You are very right on this one! Everybody now sees how USSD is really becoming a problem!
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by yemi1504: 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2021
abdsamad:

Ussd still requires a pin though

Seems USSD PIN can be easily bypassed!
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by bjtinz: 4:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
larryjonze:

Forget say naa salary account! For a loan of 500k above to be granted, there must be an official attached, everything in bank entails process, a loan officier will have to review the application n check creditworthiness upon successful review the loan application is submitted for approval which involves an high official ... so whu authorised the 500k loan on a sunday, auto machine? BOT or spirit ? abeg these story no add

Lol. It was a salary advance, not personal loan (so-called quick credit).

GTB allows up to 50% of your salary without hassles. However for them to have gotten such amount would mean she earns about 1m per month. How likely?

I agree, the story get as e be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 07, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Lol you doubt it but it's salary account

That amount can't be given online without paper work.

1 Like

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 07, 2021
bjtinz:

Lol. It was a salary advance, not personal loan (so-called quick credit).

GTB allows up to 50% of your salary without hassles. However for them to have gotten such amount would mean she earns about 1m per month. How likely?

I agree, the story get as e be.

Quick credit .. Yes! even @that naa human being go still approve am, working days i understand buh on a Sunday maybe a banker will have to convince me. ko wole
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by MikeMicheal(m): 5:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
infogenius:

This account gave me goose pimples just like i was a victim.
Boys are not smiling at all.

For me, for a long time i don't go out with my ATM card (i just have one though) and seems like i won't renew once it expires by October. My phones no longer carries bank apps and i don't receive alerts from my banks.
This gives me a form of confidence in case of a theft.

Nevertheless, one will just need to be extra careful.
God will help us.

If you sim is not locked with pin, you are only fooling your self SIR.
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by HEAVEN4444: 5:56pm On Sep 07, 2021
hahn:

That shopping bag comment made me cheesy grin

That's how my former landlord and his wife will be monitoring our bag anytime we come back from shopping. I even caught him severally going through our bin grin

My plan is to move to Lekki too but where the money? cry

Whatever you do bro, stay away from poor people
grin grin grin grin Say no more bro.

I ws about to say GOD will provide but then i remembered you are a staunch atheist grin
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by galantjoe(m): 6:13pm On Sep 07, 2021
People are careless and not serious with their bank acct.

The moment your phone is stolen or your ATM is stolen. Call your bank customer service no to to deactivate your account. Or call MTN service to deactivate your no.

Fore warn is to be fore armed.
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by beta247: 6:29pm On Sep 07, 2021
Bola146:
shocked that is why all my sims have password, these criminals are just clever, no one would trust you that you were robbed. They will be caught soon

Pls how do I do that? Which one is default sim pin?
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Drizzy5001(m): 6:35pm On Sep 07, 2021
Damn!!! Which kain wahala be this one, 4 dis harsh economy

Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by Bola146(f): 6:48pm On Sep 07, 2021
beta247:

Pls how do I do that? Which one is default sim pin?

I think you will use 1234 as default password, goggle it
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by caandi: 6:49pm On Sep 07, 2021
They don’t need her phone. It’s useless to them, all they need is her SIM card which they will input in another phone and it must be her alert SIM card to work unless she locked her sim if not then no show
Re: Armed Robbers Used My Sister's Bank Details To Collect GT Bank Loan by odimbannamdi(m): 7:07pm On Sep 07, 2021
mekussa:

No be everybody dey put PIN for USSD o.
Last year, dey thief my father phone, use USSD commot 460k between Saturday night and Sunday evening. They did cardless withdrawals and transfered to pOS. Dem even use am buy credit.
I just go first bank, print the account statement, get the account numbers of the POS people and the phone numbers wet receive the airtime. Unfortunately for them, one if the POS people dey also use first bank so I wrote a letter to their fraud department and they blocked the guys account and arranged for bank police to pick him up. Na so him take provide who send am money o. We recovered the 90k still in his account. The guy wey thief d phone dey awaiting trial for keffi prison but na only 280k wet we fit recover out of d money.

That same day, we wrote to the bank and asked them to BLOCK all forms of transaction except ATM, POS and OTC.

The next time dem steal him phone, nothing do the money.

This is really interesting. I admire your confidence. Nice one bro.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Gunmen Neutralized By SARS Operatives In Rivers State. Photos / OSCOHEALTH TECH Student Attacked By A Man She Turned Down [photo] / Eight Nigerians Arrested In Malaysia Over Scam Activities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.